Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Greatest Canadian

Who is The Greatest Canadian?

• Dr. Frederick Banting

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Alexander Graham Bell

• Don Cherry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tommy Douglas

• Terry Fox

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Wayne Gretzky

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Sir John A. MacDonald

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Lester Pearson

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • David Suzuki

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess you can argue this stuff to death, but how does Ed Befour make the list, and Joe Sakic doesn't? On a hockey contribution level, Joe has contributed more, and he has done it while maintaining a clean image.

Eastern bias. That's why Fox probably won't win, and Trudeau will.

simon

Aug 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
Since you asked:

[bAs for Bell, he was born in 1847, but the CBC led viewers to believe that Brantford, Ontario was "home". However the CBC website states that his family only immigrated to Canada in 1870 (which would make him at least 22 years old and possibly 23). Then it goes on to say:So he worked in Boston, but retreated to Brantford. But how often? How Canadian was he? Simon, could you tell us? ;)

i would respectfully submit/offer that in the early years of Canadian history the requirements for citizenship was "if-you-are-in-Canada-doing-something-you-are-Canadian-for-now"

given this, you have to accept that many of the people on this list are considered to be Canadian because of their accomplishments in Canada

Our relatively brief history simply doesnt give us as many "Great" people to
choose from. that is why i think Isaac Brock deserves to be on the list. and i wont argue with most of the top 50

although, the list of the top 50 is littered with too many "average" people. if Rick Mercer is #50 i should be somewhere in there too

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
1 - claiming Bell as a Canadian is stretching it.

2 - anyone not voting for Banting as the # 1 Canadian of all time should move to the USA. He is the only one on this list who would compete in an international list of such kind. What people with diabetes went through before he came along is something that obviously is not well depicted.

3- Cherry being mentioned along side Banting denies this list of any credibility it could have determined.

Science Science Science - The only true unchangable factor that governs our future, any other contribution to society carries with it the potential to burst into temporary historical fragments. Medical science; the only true connection to infinity.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
anyone not voting for Banting as the # 1 Canadian of all time should move to the USA. He is the only one on this list who would compete in an international list of such kind. What people with diabetes went through before he came along is something that obviously is not well depicted.
:eek:

What Terry Fox has done for Cancer (sacrificed his life bringing the importance of this complex disease to the public attention) can be argued as a reason some of us SHOULD stay in Canada, thank you very much. :mad:

Maybe the only one in the top ten who can rightfully called both a hero, in the true sense, and someone who exemplifies the humble, honest virtues combined with heart and determination that the world has come to know Canadians by.

It will be dissappointing to find out anyone else finishes listed ahead of him. :(

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Courtesy of This Hour has 22 Minutes

Some would have you believe that Tommy Douglas is the Greatest Canadian. But he only gave Canada Medicare. And now Medicare is killing us with wait lists, two-tier systems, and tainted blood scandals. Sure Tommy, next time you need a doctor, just pick up a phone. The phone that Alexander Graham Bell invented.

This message has been approved by Alexander Graham Bell.

simon

Aug 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Courtesy of This Hour has 22 Minutes

Keeper said:
Some would have you believe that Tommy Douglas is the Greatest Canadian. But he only gave Canada Medicare.

unbelieveble you actually took time to type such utter garbage. the health care system we enjoy may not be the best in your eyes, but Universal Healthcare is consistently rated as the best thing about living in Canada...by Canadians.

And now Medicare is killing us with wait lists, two-tier systems, and tainted blood scandals. Sure Tommy, next time you need a doctor, just pick up a phone.

next you will complain about how terrible democracy and the free-market system is beacause it creates rich and poor. because someone in a Mercedes will drive by a guy sleeping on the street.

hopefully you don't travel to some country with a user-pay or, god forbid, a shoddy health care system, get sick and have to go to a hospital. you'll wish you were back home.

on a side note, id be interested to know how many folks on this site like the system we have or would prefer what our neighbours down south deal with.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Simon, taaakke it easssyy . . .

It was a joke. Look at the header -- it was from This Hour Has 22 Minutes this evening. There were a bunch of spoofs that they did including ones on Suzuki & Fox as well.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luc, you make a very strong case, but I still have to go with Fox.

For one, he did contribute, and continues years after his death, to contribute to the scientific research field, as his goal was to find a cure for cancer.

Second: all Terry Fox was blessed with was a sense of selflessness, a pure golden heart, and an amazing ability to endure pain. Not to take anything away from Banting; he was blessed with a brilliant mind, but didn't need to go through the hell Terry Fox did to give back to his fellow man.

Beyond Fox's direct contributions, he also inspired Steve Fonyo to finish what Fox couldn't, and Rick Hansen on his Man in Motion tour.

In Fox's case, greatness can't only be measured in what he gave, but what he sacrificed.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I dunno. Luc's post looks intelligent from a far, but I think it's far from intelligent.

LucVanLierde said:
...3- Cherry being mentioned along side Banting denies this list of any credibility it could have determined.

One might determine how credible a list is, but how does a list determine credibility? I would have ended the sentence after credibility. But that's me.

LucVanLierde said:
Science Science Science - The only true unchangable factor that governs our future, any other contribution to society carries with it the potential to burst into temporary historical fragments. Medical science; the only true connection to infinity.

I remember reading this once, in a bathroom stall at Science World (I was at Indy and the port-a-johns were filthy if you are wondering).

Maybe I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but....Luc...does Science never change? Does it, too, not carry with it the potential to burst into temporary historical fragments? If you are suggesting, somehow, that only scientific minds are resposnbile for breaking things into obsolete, forgotten fragments, then you are not giving the artistic, creative mind any credit.

Good thing medical science has burst into fragments. Could you imagine bloodletting into infinity?

Also, please clarify what you mean by your USA comment. I think I know what you're trying to say, but that argument can be used against almost any country in the world.

Therefore, like Don Cherry being in the top 10, your arguments lack credibility

Ahhh, STD. I'm assuming you were drunk as usual when you read that post and found it intelligent. Was it his attempt at using a semi-colon which impressed you so?

Your Pal,

Dial 9-1-1

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dial 9-1-1 said:
I dunno. Luc's post looks intelligent from a far, but I think it's far from intelligent.

One might determine how credible a list is, but how does a list determine credibility? I would have ended the sentence after credibility. But that's me.

I remember reading this once, in a bathroom stall at Science World (I was at Indy and the port-a-johns were filthy if you are wondering).

Maybe I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but....Luc...does Science never change? Does it, too, not carry with it the potential to burst into temporary historical fragments? If you are suggesting, somehow, that only scientific minds are resposnbile for breaking things into obsolete, forgotten fragments, then you are not giving the artistic, creative mind any credit.

Good thing medical science has burst into fragments. Could you imagine bloodletting into infinity?

Also, please clarify what you mean by your USA comment. I think I know what you're trying to say, but that argument can be used against almost any country in the world.

Therefore, like Don Cherry being in the top 10, your arguments lack credibility

Ahhh, STD. I'm assuming you were drunk as usual when you read that post and found it intelligent. Was it his attempt at using a semi-colon which impressed you so?

Your Pal,

Dial 9-1-1

You should have hit submit reply right after " I dunno".

ok where do I start....apparently i have to explain myself to the aloof dial 911.......Banting; NOBEL prize winner, scientist, artist, war hero.......he died in combat fighting for his country.

Move to the USA, what I mean there is that Americans are all about celebrities and sports stars. Having guys like Don Cherry and Wayne Gretzky on a list next to Banting is embarrasing to say teh least. They are hockey celebrities who in essense contribute abosulety **** all to the improvement of state of the world. What the fukc is a 92 goal season gonna do for my grandson? A man representing hockey who " coached" at a pro level and wears a high collar is one of Canadas top 10 greatest ever? Jesus fukcin hell, Totally, completely, undoubtably, moronically ridiculous.

I think my comment " Banting is the only one out of these 50 that would get any high ranking in a international such list" is bang on and sums up what I'm driving at.

Argue , agree......i really dont give a shite. Ive done my research here....They called it the greatest canadian...not the most popular, the most inspirational.......

911 - if u dont get it... pack up a tv and a vcr, go into a intensive care unit at a hospital, plug in your hi tech gear and throw in rockem sockem 9.

u with me

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Argue , agree......i really dont give a shite.
You and Coach from the same high school?

Why shouldn't Gretzky be considered one of the greatest Canadians? Does he not epitomize the very nature of all true Canadians? Ask someone over in Finland or Japan or Mexico who they think is the greatest Canadian - Banting or Gretzky... Banting who? Then ask them who's faster :rolleyes:

Anyways, that's not to dimish Banting's greatness, just trying to point out that there are, or should be, more factors and considerations when debating this topic than you are apparently willing to acknowledge.

Beavers,

~Regs.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
You should have hit submit reply right after " I dunno".

Dear Luc,
You shouldn't have hit "reply" at all. This might leave a mark. Now, where shall I begin...

As I suspected, you are not as intelligent as a drunk STD thinks you are. Please note, where exactly, I argued the things you ramble on about.

LucVanLierde said:
ok where do I start....apparently i have to explain myself to the aloof dial 911.......Banting; NOBEL prize winner, scientist, artist, war hero.......he died in combat fighting for his country.

Please note where I disrespected Banting. I refuted your "science is unchangeable...and medical science is infinity" quote that impressed STD so much. Quite nicely refuted, I might add.

The irony is that having to take a needle a day for diabetes will one day become a "temporary historical fragment." People will look back and say, "They used to have to do that?"

LucVanLierde said:
Move to the USA, what I mean there is that Americans are all about celebrities and sports stars. Having guys like Don Cherry and Wayne Gretzky on a list next to Banting is embarrasing to say teh least. They are hockey celebrities who in essense contribute abosulety **** all to the improvement of state of the world. What the fukc is a 92 goal season gonna do for my grandson? A man representing hockey who " coached" at a pro level and wears a high collar is one of Canadas top 10 greatest ever?

Where did I defend Don Cherry? Actually, I said that "like Don Cherry being in the top 10, your post lacks credibility." Let me explain this to you in LucVan Layman's terms: Don Cherry not credible. LucVanLierde not credible.

Where did I defend Gretzky? You're making up bogus facts to make yourself look "smart" again, now aren't you?

Regardless, Gretzky has done nothing but represent Canada on the global scene for the past 25 years, and there isn't a blemish to his name. How many people in the world can state that?

Jesus fukcin hell, Totally, completely, undoubtably, moronically ridiculous.

Well, we agree on something.

LucVanLierde said:
Argue , agree......i really dont give a shite. Ive done my research here..........

Yes, research. That's what I'd call it. You copied someone else's quote (incorrectly I might add) without knowing that the quote made no sense and was not valid. No more Google for you.

u with me

Uhhh, thankfully no. But give STD a few more beers and he might be. :D

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sounds like 911 is taking this a little too serious. Luc you're gonna cause 911 to well call 911 for either a murder or a suicide. Yes I'll agree Gretzky is a great Canadian I mean isn't he "The Great One"?But you guys are comparing apples to oranges. Bottom line does Great mean Saved lives or does great mean make you feel proud and can picture what Canada is when thought of? For myself it is both apples and oranges cause without either you wouldn't have a great country like Canada....

Prime Minister Girth

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Prime Minister Girth,

Let me know if you comprehend what I'm writing here, because you seem to be a tad confused about the content my "discussion" with LucVanLayman. It was very Chretien of you.

In my discussion with the Layman, nothing was being compared. Not apples. Not oranges. Not even dancing bananas.

Luc tried to come across as some scientific intellect. STD had a beer. I replied.

To save face, the Layman then tried calling a spade a shovel. STD had another beer. I replied again.

I dunno. I thought I was pisstaking. I did exactly what Striker 14 told me to write, and she knows pisstaking like no one else!

On behalf of Gong Show,

Peace Out! ;)

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
gong show said:
Ouch...talk about a knock out blow.....Remind me not to piss you off Dial 911......peace out................

I thought 911 was ignorant, well he's still in the top 10, but you take the cake. Don't reply to this Gong Show, if u want a battle of wits......you have a better chance of putting out the sun with a glass of water.

Regs, you ask those in Finland, Japan, and Mexico who have diabetes who Banting is. I guess I dont see and sports figures parallel with those who donate medical marvels and save lives everyday even after their passing. I dont see it even being a fair comparison. Thats just me.

After painfully goin over that drivel you regergitated twice, I have concluded that you are very jealous of me. U feel threatened. STD post has caused all of this. You came off very homosexual and Its making us all uncomfortable.

Your assumption that i was plagarizing is comedic. Please tell me what quote i screwed up and who said it. This should be great. I can only take that as a compliment. It is a very kind thing to say, thank you.

I ask u this; Does the birth of Tim Berners-Lee cancel any infinite status that Steve Jobs will have?

Please for the sake of your " credibility" take your time with this. Think it over 6 times.

It's funny how you keep callin me Layman. If took anything away from psychology it was that we are in a heated battle we usual describe ourselves.

Well i just wanted to state that I feel Banting is #1 and thats that. My first post covered that. 911 is obtuse and redundant,

yours truly, the scientific intellect

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
LucVanLierde said:
After painfully goin over that drivel you regergitated twice, I have concluded that you are very jealous of me. U feel threatened. STD post has caused all of this. You came off very homosexual and Its making us all uncomfortable.

Yes, I'm gay and it's making you feel uncomfortable. What a mature comment from such an intellectual mind!

LucVanLierde said:
Your assumption that i was plagarizing is comedic. Please tell me what quote i screwed up and who said it. This should be great. I can only take that as a compliment. It is a very kind thing to say, thank you.

Before you start patting yourself on your back...I can't believe that you would

a) try to create your own quote, hoping that maybe one day you, too, will have your spot in history with Steve Jobs.
b) not bother to ensure that your quote, which would earn your spot in history, is grammatically correct (see your writer's handbook on run-on- sentences and semi-colon use).
c) want to take credit for a quote which is irrelevant because it is not wholly true. Like I said earlier, and I guess I have to be redundant to get my point across to your layman's brain, science cannot be generalized as being unchanging. Science, too, can burst into temporary historical fragments. Other things and other people (i.e.artists) also have a true connection to infinity. Scientists aren't the only people who invent things.

If I was you, I'd tell everyone I plagiarized.

lucvanlierde said:

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

P.S. I'd stay down this time. Your six aliases are in your corner and I recommend that you tell each of them (six times), that they throw in the towel.

Your Pal,

Dial 9-1-1

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0