Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Soccer Guru] Canada loses to Guatemala 2-0 in World Cup soccer qualifying

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone want to bet that Stalteri (sp?) is a huge cancer on the current Canadian squad? He gave up noticeably I felt with 15 minutes to go and certainly didn't mind throwing his hands up in the air whenever something didn't go right :mad:

Ya know, the loss sucks but I've got to say, Yallop appears to be the true visionary man at the top that we've never had. Giving all of these other players a shot is extremely refreshing and if you can get past the verbal fawning Dobson gave Peters when he came on, you can't help but smile at the things the 17 year-old tried out there.

I really thought though that Josh Simpson should have come off about 30 minutes sooner than he did... maybe an off night, nerves, or whatever but he looked a little bit out of his element at times and seemed to be struggling.

I missed the first goal and the highlites didn't really show it too well, but was the first goal offside?

Cheers,

~Regs.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree on Stalteri...he's arguably the highest caliber player on the pitch, second if Radzinsky were there. He needs to show leadership, but what we saw was immaturity.

Yallop was probably trying to let Simpson play himself out of the funk, as he has performed well when called for the Nats, but he was off last night.

An off night happens...that's what depth is for. But, you would never see that type of behavior or effort from Joe Sakic suiting up for Team Canada. This goes way back to Ballbaby's comments: are the guys really proud to be wearing Canadian colors, or more embarrassed?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The other player that stood out for me from a critical point of view was the left-back... Jansic? Whatever, he made ill-timed runs (feeding a 15 yard ball to a showing midfielder tightly marked and taking off through the middle without holding for support... fastbreak for Guetemala (sp?) the other way :rolleyes: ) and seemed slower than I am!

Would Devos had much of an impact last night?

~Regs.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I went to the match lastnight with some buds, and we all agreed, it was by far the worst showing by the National team we had ever seen. What a waste of money to come out and see that POOR excuse for a football match.

Both squads were equally shite, the Guatemalan's just capitilized on Canada's two ****ups. It took until the 78th minute mark for Canada to put a shot on target. :rolleyes: Oh BTW, did everyone see the SHOC-KING miss from all of 2 yards out by #17. WTF was that? Can anyone say substitution. :mad:

Paul 'I am a plug' Peschisolido (sp?) was mince. Had terrible touches for a guy playing outside North America. Put your flipping hand down buddy we know your knocking the ball in. Everytime with the corner kicks.

The 17 year old who got subbed on was by far the bright spot in a terrible Canadian squad. He beat his man time and time again, and did the right thing and knocked the ball in to the box.

Where as the left sided midfileder, I don't know his name, was terrible. Took way to long to knock in a cross, and if he did, he absolutely humped it too far for anyone, resulting in multiple throw-ins.
Not to mention he got a card all of 2 minutes into the game. :rolleyes:

I realize that we did not have our 'full' squad out there, but seriously if this is the way our national program is going, we really do deserved to be ranked where we are.

Anyone agree with me at all on this?

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Row 12 for myself in Section B.... The only thing worse than just being at the game, was being at the game in the center of Guatemala's cheering section... I was surrounded by about 30+ of their patriotic fans cheering, singing, playing drums and waiving flags. Not to be misunderstood however, I am disapointed that our fans are so shocking. Instead of attempting to out cheer and out yell the opponents fans, most blokes turned to ingorant comments and bashing. Every heard of pride Canada? Get some.

Anyhow about the game, 1st half was a shocker. I have not seen that many shin balls, and passes that deflect off the recievers feet and into the air. Nothing was played on the ground until about the 60 min mark where I thought Canada started to put some stuff together. I am not that familiar with players by name but #7 on the backline was a real cougher. Gave it up several times, plus carried the ball away from his support a few times only to almost lose it in his own corner (I also believe he was victim on a bad goal tender pass back).

I thought the ref was sub-par as well for most of the game, though he ALSO got better as it went on. I have not seen the replay on TV to see it closely but I am sure there was a Goaltender passback early in the 2nd Half that the Keeper picked up. Our whole section (right adjacent to the incident) was up in arms about it.

Anyhow, I despite my whines I am sure I will shell out for the next one.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0