Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SARSstock

What if it was Vancouver. Would the govt. still shell out money for SARSstock?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Who are you kidding?

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did anyone see the highlights of this or watch the whole thing? I thought it looked pretty good. There were some good acts and some really bad ones.

Here are my highlights and lowlights.

Tea Party: I thought they were quite good. Interacted with crowd nicely and played some good tunes.

Guess Who: Good music, bad harmonizing.:eek:

Flaming Lips: Awful.

Sam Roberts: Seemed to find it hard to keep the adrenalin in check. He was running all over the place and this effected his singing in a bad way. I can understand though. He went from playing in front of probably 1000 people at the most to 450,000.

ACDC: Didn't see any of their set. It's too bad. It was probably magic.

Kathleen Edwards: I've never heard of her until yesterday. I thought she was good. I enjoyed her brand of music.

The Stones: I watched two songs. Satisfaction, and Jumpin' Jack Flash. These two songs took around 45 minutes. After that I couldn't watch anymore. I remember seeing them at BC Place way back in 88 or 89, and thinking it might be the last time they ever toured. Watching yesterday I found myself thinking over and over again, "How is this guy still alive?"

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
By far the best part of the ACDC set was the woman in one of the front rows with the great peirced nipples. ACDC's performance was good too. Played some of their hits... at least my few favorites.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
cack.....

The Flaming Lips are the only band mentioned in your list who shouldn't be boiled in a vat of their own excrement. Oh, them and Burton Cummings, the greatest living Canadian.

Actually, my first statement is unfair given the fact I've never heard of Kathleen Edwards or Sam Roberts. The Tea Party? Christ in traction.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Puhleeze.....

Burton Cummings, the greatest living Canadian

Please tell me your tongue's planted firmly in your cheek:rolleyes: Everybody knows "the greatest living Canadian" would be a tossup between Grapes and Stompin' Tom.:p

Actually, you'll probably be hearing way too much about Sam Roberts in the near future. He'll be the next Bryan Adams-scaled Canadian act to hit Auld Blighty. Thankfully not so prone to syrupy ballads, though. Guitar-based pop tunes with good hooks, so you wouldn't like him.

Flaming Lips? Yawn......

Agreed with Rev about the sweet young thing with the sweet young things. Did you notice that they panned back to her and her wobbly bits again?:D

The Toronto press is gushing again about Toronto being the Stones' "second home." As if... I'm sure Keef would consider any place he got busted as "just like home.":rolleyes:

Missed most of the show due to a game last night; got to see the Guess Who and AC/DC at the Pioneer. We ignored Justin Timberfake and watched the highlights package of Barca and AC instead (2-0 to Barca!), and then I headed out to be home in time to catch some of Old Stoneface. Listened to most of their set on the CBC on the way, and caught the encore on the tube. Not their best show ever, but what do you expect from guys yer parents' age? Miracles? Headshakes all round!!!

Loved the Stones' logo on the face masks - a good pisstake!

BTW, lest I get stereotyped as "old school" (what a meaningless term):rolleyes: , the disk player at home currently holds Audioslave, Cypress Hill, NIN, Disturbed, and Nickleback (hey, my kids have to have something to listen to).:rolleyes:

I still got some music in me........

Stew:cool:

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcukin 'ell stew, if you've still got some music in you ... let it the fcuk out!! ... and get rid of all that shite sitting in your CD player. ;)

Caught some of The Guess Who ... and Burton Cumming's is a fcuking cartoon of himself. He's an old, annoying, egomaniac who thinks he's still got something relevant to contribute. He doesn't! And who the fcuk stole Big Randy’s last few puddin dinners, he’s a ghost of his former self, don’t think I’ve ever seen him that thin.

Sam Roberts … as stated above … can’t sing to save his shaggy-bearded life. He was similarly bad at the Juno’s and the Much Music awards. Taking the time to move about the stage and attempt to “entertain” is admirable, but when all one does is prance from stage right to stage left at the expense of vocal pitch .. it’s far from entertaining.

AC/DC Full value for being exactly what you’d expect. … and yes, those titties were nice, albeit fake. god bless ‘er! ... and the Doctor who created them :D

Timberlake was underwhelming. Though I was surprised to see him on the keys … whether he was actually playing or not is a whole other issue.

I missed the Flaming Lips, but if their genius didn’t come across at a venue of that size, I’d suggest getting their latest CD and finding out what you missed.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
silly willy.....

Sir:

You slag my taste (or your perceived lack thereof) in music most unduly. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots has been sitting downloaded on my hard drive since Christmas; I have listened to it, and found it interesting, but not worldbreaking; in other words, I haven't missed anything. Just not impressed by the hype about a band that's been on the verge of being the "next big indy thing" since 1985....:rolleyes:

Burton hasn't changed a bit - he was a fat old egomaniac back in the early 80's when he was spewing solo albums. I had a chance to see him at his most laughable in a double bill with McLean & McLean at the old 'Boo Hotel - basically 3 fat guys on a nostalgia tour for the early 70's. My own way to rock indeed.....

I think Randy's doctor told him he had to shed several lbs or consider facing the music earlier than planned - I think there's diabetes in the mix there.

Sam Roberts wouldn't be the first guy who sounds great in the can, but can't put it across live. I've seen several other bands that just tried too hard to entertain with disastrous results.

Shite? I hardly think so. Now if it was Timberfake or some other fluff boy/girl pop, or Britpop flava of the week, or pseudodisco R&B divas, or yoyo hipflop, I'd be tempted to agree with you. But it ain't, so I don't.

Earache my eye......

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: silly willy.....

Originally posted by stew
My own way to rock indeed.....

well done! Read that ... thought about it for two and a half seconds ... then laughed out loud at my desk ... :D

And though it's his own way to rock that's brought him his acclaim, I'm far more inclined to believe the pudgy bastard's "own way to Roll" has helped get him through many long lonely days ... especially when a doughnut, or an anti-depressant pill lies slightly out of arm's length.

As for slagging your taste ... not my intention. I can see you have extensive musical knowledge. Differing tastes and opinions should be welcomed in any forum.

Besides, if you’re interested in Audioslave, more power to you. In fact, “Stand Tall, don't you fall. don't go doin' something you'll regret later …you're feeling it like everyone, it's silly human pride”

Willy McGOINGS

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
nonsense........

There was nothing tongue in cheek about me stating, with absolute conviction, that Sir Burton of Cummings is the greatest living Canadian. Anyone responsible for the melodic pop masterpiece that is 1977's 'I'm Scared' (Portrait/Epic) is a hero indeed. Because, and you won't believe this but it's true, sometimes I get scared too.

I look forward to hearing about your man Sam Roberts with the kind of trembling anticipation I usually reserve for children's birthday parties. It has to be said, however, that he sounds more like a fourth-line centre for the Calgary Flames than a rawk star. And he's got a beard. There is a worrying lack of facial hair in modern music. Apart from Christina Aguilera who is, I'm sure, hairy as fcuk underneath all that slap she wears.

I don't know why the Flaming Lips were involved at all. The other lot there make a certain kind of sense to me in terms of the appalling lack of taste generally demonstrated by Johnny Canuck. Still, at least it raised some money for charidee.

Which is nice.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hurtin' Burton appears to have pissed himself in that photo. Which is nice.

AC/DC are the dog's danglies, end of story.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
rubbish........

What utter shite. AC/DC should have fcuked off years ago and taken the Rolling cnuting Stones with them. Simply because you're able to sing their songs better than they can doesn't make them the dog's danglies. I can sing Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, S Club 7, and Avril Lavigne songs better than all that lot put together (and putting that shower together would provide a suitable soundtrack to hell) but in no way does that mean they're anywhere near the highly-sought-after danglies of a dog.

So you're wrong, Jinky, so very wrong.

Which is nice.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
shokc-ing......

Fasty:

Did you have something extremely traumatic done to you in 1977 that involved Burton Cummings' execrable solo lack-of-effort? Maybe, say, being terrorized at the hands of an older sister's friends?:rolleyes: :D I can't think of anything else that would account for this specific twist in what seems (for the most part) to be an otherwise lucid source of amusing rants from the far side of the puddle. Or maybe..... I've got it!! Your hippy parents conceived you to the strains of far too many Guess Who tunes, thus rendering you incapable of rational judgement on the subject!!!:D That's okay....we all have our guilty little secrets - maybe some day I'll let you know what some of mine are.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Very, very worried about you if you are singing S Club 7 in the shower; in my neighbourhood, they'd shoot you for that....

Re Sam Roberts: definitely not my man; I'm sorry if I'd given you that impression. Merely a dispassionate observer of facts; the hirsuite boy will be hitting your shores with the same amount of hype as Bryan Adams did first time around. Again, sounds decent enough when recorded; just the live act has much room for improvement.

What's wrong with Christina being hairy? You only have to take care with the sandpaper effect, and I'd be much more concerned with the possible side effects of all her piercings:eek: Besides, there's a potential side benefit if you've neglected to floss earlier :D ;) :eek:

Last and most important point: If "Johnny Canuck" were to be showing taste, he wouldn't be at an outdoor zoo show at an ex-airforce base with half a million other loogans, now would he? Same as John Bull and wee Miss England off to Glastonbury or wherever your next big outdoor mudfest is to see Def Leppard, Motorhead and Status Quo innit? Silly bunt. Apples is apples, and oranges just ain't in the picture, is they? The point is, mate, there's enough wife-beaters and bassackwards mesh-backs to go 'round betwixt hither and yon, and there's no monopoly on bad taste over here. Except wherever Bon Jovi's playing next......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hell's Bells, man!!!

Willy McMuffin:

at the time, most of us thot he was reefering to his nice, green lettuce....although I did have a concern that the stage would collapse under the collective tonnage of "Canada's biggest band" at BC Place in '83...:rolleyes:

Did any of you actually see Rush's set? I'm told (although yet to be able to hear it with my own ears) that Geddy's shriek has finally come down to an almost-tolerable frequency that doesn't do damage to your dog anymore. How were Ackroyd and Belushi? Comments, please....

Shaken all night long,

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I saw one song from Rush. Free Will I think. I don't even like them that much, but thought that it sounded quite good. Geddy was tolerable, and a great bass player. Good stuff actually. Might consider listening to a bit more of their stuff.

I didn't see the Blues Brothers. I'm sure they were good as usual. I only caught snippets of Dan Akroyd. It seemed like he was trying to be funny a lot, but didn't come across that way.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
clarification...........

There is nothing in my past that would suggest an unnatural fixation with all things Burton Cummings. I like his name and his voice is easy like Sunday morning. Just not yesterday morning, that was a particularly bad one. A Tom Waits kind of Sunday morning if ever there was one. Fcuking mixed drinks.

Ver Aguilera's bearded nature is the least of her problems. And mine for that matter. She should be boiled in a 1,000 gallon vat of her own filth for the good of mankind. She used to have something to do with Mickey Mouse along with Britters and that Justin cnut. I mean, really.

My countrymen would be all over Def Leppard, Motorhead and Status Quo like a tramp eating chips. One Very Good Thing about living on this particular island is the fact rockers simply do not exist. Of course those who listen to the kind of excretion the aformentioned bands insist on releasing exist, they just choose not to dress in a manner befitting somone who didn't even come close graduating from Centennial in the late 1980's.

I very much doubt whether or not Sam Roberts will make any inroads (or outroads for that matter) over here. The great unwashed British public (and that includes the Irish, obviously) is getting fed up with the kind of unsolicited angst nonsense that comes from Canada. Think about it (no, seriously, do); Alanis, Avril, Sealion Deeyon, The Barenaked Ladies, Love Inc, BTO, Nickelback, Rush, The Crash Test Dummies, Men Without Hats, Bryan Adams, undermars................ And the reason they're getting fed up? It's because I'm waging a one-man crusade against Canadian music. On my own too.

At least no one here has heard of The Parachute Club, Luba or The Tragically Hip. Those three, at least, have been relegated to the back of my over-wrought psyche. Scarred for life from that lot, so I am.

Name me one good Canadian musical export other than The Spoons. And don't, for the love of all that's Good, say Jane Siberry or Blue bastard Rodeo. I'm on to their tricks as well. Go on, I dare you.

onelessstar

Dec 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadian Bands ? How's'bout...

Godspeed You Black Emperor!

Do Make Say Think

Broken Social Scene

(2/3's of) Blonde Redhead

Uh... 1/2 of The Postal Service is from Bellingham -- that has to count for something since Ben Gibbard often crossed the border to drink as a youth (?)

Erm... it's actually rather harder than I'd thought.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I win........

Del Pierro,

I warned you about Blue Rodeo. Your chums played a 'spectacular' New Year's Eve show in both 2001 and 2002 (was that all in one night, on either side of the New Year or consecutive years? The website isn't clear. It's like my head) with someone called Greg Keelor. Apparently he's in Blue Rodeo. The website boasts this as though it's a good thing.

Onelessstar, I've never heard of any of the bands you mention apart from The Postal Service. If I haven't heard of them they're not worth knowing. Fact. Your Postal Service argument is woeful. Bellingham is still (and I hope always will be) in the Excited States. I've been drinking at The Roxy before. It doesn't make me a cnut does it?

Hot Hot Heat is a Canadian band. Thank God they had the foresight to re-invent Platinum Blonde.

Next?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
wot 'E wrote......

Fasty:

I realize that anything I'm going to post from this list will be cannon fodder for you to snipe at, but here goes....

1) Pointed Sticks. Had the sound, had the hooks. Self-destructed. Classic tale that only a Mum could love.

2) Bruce Cokcburn. Canuck grandsire of angst music. Who else could sing "if I had a rocket launcher?"

3) Skinny Puppy. More influential (not influenzal) than anybody has ever realized on those of you who like electronic thumps and don't understand why...

4) Neil Young. The man who invented the one-note solo. Just that would be enough, but also because he's reinvented himself at least enough to be funny. Listen to Trans again if you need to be reminded....

5) Nomeansno. Just because.

6) Saga. Because Bruce Allen had nothing to do with them, and they still managed to sell records....

7) Sarah McLachlan. Just because I know that adding her to this list will piss you off.

8) Bryan Adams can be argued to be a good musical export because we've managed to export HIM, and he's your problem now...:D :D :D :p bwah hah hah.....

9) The Rheostatics. Doing Radiohead's schtick before Radiohead was a band....

Jane Siberry? Puhleeeaaase:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I thought we were talking about music here, not meaningless pseudo-artschool proto-lesbian airheads:rolleyes:

Why the mad-on about Blue Rodeo? They fill their niche quite admirably. It may not be one of my favourite ones, but I have nothing personal against them. Re the Jim Cuddy/Greg Keelor thing: who cares?:rolleyes:

I've been drinking at The Roxy before. It doesn't make me a cnut does it?

Actually, it does:p :p :p :D

Good luck with your crusade. Fighting the fight of the zealous can and should be a lonely battle, but you're just the man to wage it.

Quite....

onelessstar

Dec 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fastshow.... of course my mention of The Postal Service & Bellingham & Canada was tongue-in-cheek.... meant to be in support of "your" argument rather than "my" argument. Have the decency to read the subtext. ;)

Have you heard "Death Cab for Cutie" or "DNTEL" (other The Postal Service membered bands)? Or are they not worth knowing either?

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trying this again ...

Death Cab for Cutie have some reasonable moments. Kaleidoscope, for instance is an old personal fave of mine, albeit, a bit dated now. I'm almost certain fasty will loath them.

Willy McRepeat

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
M

We're having a heatwave and, as such, it's all too much like work to, um, work.

In the words of late twentieth-century philosopher Paul Heaton, 'We'll deal with you later.'

And yes, we is me.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0