Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RIP Wade Belak

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
FFS.

Brutal stuff.

Found dead in his Toronto Condo today.

Hat Trick for the tough Guys this summer.

RIP Wade

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From all reports Belak had a lot of positives going on his post hockey career. Was shooting battle of the blades for CBC and had signed on to do Nashville Predators radio broadcasts. He was just on the team 1040 last week talking about Rypien.

TA

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not good.

Almost surreal. Something is wrong.

Knowing Hockey Canada, they'll probably react to this, have a national conference and make positive changes to hockey in Canada to combat it.

Soccer has lots of problems in Canada and the CSA does nothing...

from the score.ca
Already the fond memories of a player who had a permanent smile are streaming in. George Richards of the Miami Herald witnessed Belak drop his mitts during his brief stint in the sunny south. He recalled a moment during a tussle against Steve MacIntyre shortly after Belak was waived by the Panthers and landed in Nashville.

"The punches Belak tossed were so heavy, he cracked MacIntyre’s helmet. Belak was such a good guy, MacIntyre had no trepidation in sending the helmet to Belak for an autograph.

Belak signed the helmet right above the gash that he left with his bare hands."

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
as horrible and sad as this is, committing suicide when you're leaving a wife and two kids behind is a brutally selfish act.

Rypien taking his own life obviously leaves a ripple and a hole in that family, but no kids have been left without a daddy and no wife is a widow.

I am gutted for his wife and kids. :(

Perhaps it IS time to look at killing fighting in the NHL, or at least doing something drastic to the rules and rosters to ensure teams don't have spots for players whose primary role is to fight... Belak and Boogaard were "enforcers" plain and simple, without fighting in the game they wouldn't have become NHL'ers...same argument could be made for Rypien, however Rypien could play a little...

I know from my days playing, at one point was purely asked to play a third/fourth line role to check and fight, which subsequently had me leave junior and go back to playing Juvenile AAA in Minor hockey. It's very unsettling when you know you're going to have to fight. I think these guys start off life enjoying it, but eventually it becomes old hat and you want something else. I wasn't good enough to do anymore and I certainly wouldn't have gone far on fighting alone, so it was an easy decision for me...the guys that do posses these skills and climb the ranks only on the merits of their fists and chin must live a horrible life.

Time to start a dead nhl enforcers society like Argyle's Dead Wrestlers Society?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
as horrible and sad as this is, committing suicide when you're leaving a wife and two kids behind is a brutally selfish act.

With honest all due respect Johnny, that is a popular statement made by people who haven't had a close person in their lives commit suicide. I have. I hear and read these types of statements all the time, and it makes my blood boil. I can tell you, I hold no ill will to the loved one I lost, I just miss her.

Depression is a terrible disease. No cure, and treatment that is hugely dependant on the person suffering from the depression staying on meds that make them feel like shite, and in a lot of cases, make them unbalanced in other areas. Not only is your mind in an ill state, but the rest of your body suffers, too. Sleep deprivation, extreme fatigue. Not a good place.

The person who commits suicide is a person who is clearly not in a state of mind to make sound decisions. They don't mean to be selfish, they just want to escape their own pain.

I can't imagine what it would be to be in that state of mind. I hope I never find out.

RIP Wade Belak.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think banning fighting from hockey is just a quick fix solution that wouldn't solve anything IMO. I think it is a coincidence that 3 guys who were infact inforcers have passed in this short span. I say this because, ufc fights and boxers also take multiple head shots and that is their life in all aspects, and we do not see nor hear of many of their deaths. The dead wrestlers society does have way to many losses and many due to heart attack or suicide, but one can assume and stereotype that to steroids, which is just a guess, but I would bet that its a key factor. The end result in all of it is just sad, and familys destroyed

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a sad thinkg for sure, but I also don't think you can lump all enforcers into the depressed/suicidal/whatever category. Why haven't enforcers from the 70's and 80's all started committing suicide? What is the percentage of the general population that is depressed to the point that they attempt suicide? I'm sure that you'll find that the statistics will be similar in this cohort. Add to this the readily available vices such as drugs etc because simply put they can afford it, and you've probably got your answer. Like I said, sad nonetheless.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
@ Dude, you're right: I haven't lost anyone close to me via suicide, thus I don't know- that's just my stated perception/opinion being a guy that has a wife and 2 young kids in a close knit large family. I didn't mean for my comment to be taken as flippant or whatever, and I also appreciate that it might be taken that way by someone who has lost a loved one due to depression.

@ Cascadesoccer: I'm not calling for a ban on fighting in hockey, I'd say this though: The NHLPA and NHL should do whatever they can to do 2 things:
1) Make it incredibly difficult to have a guy on the roster whose sole role is to fight
2) Make big penalties and suspensions for "staged fights"
I don't think anyone has a problem with say a Ryan Kesler going hard into a corner and finishing a check off of on someone and then dropping the gloves with a Jarome Iginla or Vinny Lecavalier, or others... What I think is tired and done is team A sending out their pugilist to scrap team b's pugilist... just for the sake of a "pick me up" for their team. Not all tough guys can play, but some guys that can really play are tough... There's no reason to have a 200+ PIMs guy on an NHL roster anymore, and these guys dropping like flies to Drugs, depression, anxiety, suicide, etc is proof enough that it's not worth it.
@ Bronco: Couldn't have said it better myself.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
With honest all due respect Johnny, that is a popular statement made by people who haven't had a close person in their lives commit suicide. I have. I hear and read these types of statements all the time, and it makes my blood boil. I can tell you, I hold no ill will to the loved one I lost, I just miss her.

Depression is a terrible disease. No cure, and treatment that is hugely dependant on the person suffering from the depression staying on meds that make them feel like shite, and in a lot of cases, make them unbalanced in other areas. Not only is your mind in an ill state, but the rest of your body suffers, too. Sleep deprivation, extreme fatigue. Not a good place.

The person who commits suicide is a person who is clearly not in a state of mind to make sound decisions. They don't mean to be selfish, they just want to escape their own pain.

I can't imagine what it would be to be in that state of mind. I hope I never find out.

RIP Wade Belak.

Its not fun and i wouldn't wish it on anyone.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To think that hockey players have a higher morality than other sports is naive. This has been a problem for a long time. Junior hockey also has a problem. It's a problem in Secondary school gyms.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0