Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RIP Brian Clough

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very sad day indeed for football as we say goodbye to Brian Clough. One of the most controversial yet inspirational managers I have ever seen.

God bless.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
RIP Cloughie. Always wanted his teams to pay the right way. My favorite Cluoghiesim.

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brian Clough was a rare breed even in his day.

A true football character which the game very much lacks nowadays.

Asked if he'd ever consider the Scotland job:

"I'd grab it with both me hands".

I became even more of a fan after he said that. :)

God bless,

RF

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sad, sad news indeed as one of the legendary characters of the game leaves us.

After speaking with my family who all live in Derby, the area has been at a stand still today with the shocking news of Cloughie's passing.

However, no one is gutted more than my Grandma who still has a spark in her eye for Cloughie whom gave her and my Granddad a lift home one rainy night in Derby as their car had broken down on the side of the road. Bless 'im ....

Even though he went on to manage Forest in their 'hayday', Derby supporters will never forget what he did for the club and area.

Also, great to see both Liverpool and Manchester United players wearing black armbands in memory of the man today.

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I lived in Nottingham from 1985 to 1989 while at college.

Despite having great night life and a renowned lasses to lads ratio of something like 7-1 , I had the pleasure of watching Cloughie's Forest at most home games, even though I have always been and remain, a fiercely loyal Yiddo!!!

I played in the middle of the park at college with Lee Fenton, son of Forest assistant boss Ron Fenton at the time, and managed to get many a free ticket for home games.

It amazed me how Cloughie would take non-league unknowns and get them to over achieve: Gary Crosby, Brian Rice, Tommy Gaynor, Colin Foster, etc. Forest didn't win a hell of a lot when I was there, apart from a couple of League Cups and a Simod Cup or whatever the fcuk it was called. But they were great to watch and were always challenging the big guns, despite a small budget. Great footy city Nottingham.

But if I thought he had a big effect on players, he had a huge effect on the fans. I remember a League Cup match in midweek against QPR, I believe in the the 1988-1989 season. A bunch of Forest fans ran onto the pitch at the end of the game, and he was pissed off at this, so he punched a few of them, about 6 or 7 as I recall. There were mixed media reviews about this...some outrage, some applause.

Over the next week all but one of the victims went down to the City Ground and met with Cloughie and appologized to him (for being hit), one or two of them overcome with emotion and in tears.

The only one that didn't was the boyfriend of the manager of the pub I worked in and he was a complete twat anyway.

There are countless other examples too of the influence he had over the fans.

I enjoyed my time there and the footy was great to watch.

Rest in peace Cloughie :(

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Best manager England never had.

Thank fcuk as Engurland might have won something if he had.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
in addition,

The life of a legend

PLAYING CAREER

NOV 1951: Joins Middlesbrough as 16-year-old.
MAY 1952: Turns professional and makes league debut three years later.
OCT 1959: Wins his two England caps against Wales in Cardiff (1-1) and Sweden at Wembley (2-3). Fails to score in either game.
JUL 1961: Joins Sunderland for £45,000.
DEC 1962: Suffers a knee ligament injury in a Boxing Day match with Bury — which ends his career.
CAREER DETAILS: Middlesbrough: 213 games, 197 goals. Sunderland: 61 games, 54 goals. England: 2 games, 0 goals.

MANAGERIAL CAREER

OCT 1965: Appointed manager of Hartlepool United at the age of 30 to become the youngest boss in the league.
MAY 1967: Takes over at Derby County. Guides them to the Second Division title in his third year in charge and then the League Championship three years later.
OCT 1973: Resigns with assistant Peter Taylor after a row with Derby chairman Sam Longson.
NOV 1973: Appointed manager of Brighton.
JUL 1974: Resigns after eight months to succeed Don Revie at Leeds. Brighton receive £36,000 compensation.
SEP 1974: Sacked by Leeds after 44 days.
JAN 1975: Appointed manager of Nottingham Forest.
MAY 1978: Takes Forest to the league title and becomes only the second manager to win the championship with two different clubs. Named Manager of the Year.
MAY 1979: Leads Forest to European Cup glory with 1-0 win over Malmo in the final.
MAY 1980: Cloughie guides Forest to their second European Cup success in as many years — this time a 1-0 victory over Hamburg.
FEB 1989: Fined £5,000 and banned from the touchline by the FA after striking spectators at a League Cup quarter-final against QPR.
MAY 1991: Awarded OBE and honorary degree from Nottingham University.
APR 1993: Resigns as Forest manager at the end of a season in which they are relegated.

HONOURS

DERBY: League Championship 1971/72. Second Division Championship 1968/69.
NOTTINGHAM FOREST: European Cup 1979, 1980. European Super Cup 1980. League Championship 1977/78. League Cup 1978, 1979, 1989, 1990. Anglo-Scottish Cup 1977. Simod Cup: 1989. Zenith Data Systems Cup: 1992.

Forest's all-stars

BRIAN CLOUGH on his all-time Nottingham Forest dream team:

PETER SHILTON. “As important as anyone who scored a brilliant goal.”
VIV ANDERSON. “Viv gliding forward from right-back was a great sight.”
STUART PEARCE. “At his peak he was awesome, no other word for it.”
DES WALKER. “He hardly ever had a bad game.”
KENNY BURNS. “Created and scored goals and defended like a colossus.”
ROY KEANE. “Tackles like centre-halves and scores like strikers.”
JOHN McGOVERN. “He had tremendous stamina and temperament.”
ARCHIE GEMMILL. “Pace, movement and tackling were astonishing.”
JOHN ROBERTSON. “If you gave him a square yard of grass to work in he was dynamite.”
TREVOR FRANCIS. “Added sparkle to any team that he played for.”
GARRY BIRTLES. “He never gave up even when the ball was out of play.”

FORMER Celtic boss Davie Hay and his men were facing Forest in the third-round, second leg of the UEFA Cup in December 1983.

Hay recalled: “I owned a pub and he told me he’d pop in if he was ever in the area. The day before the match, Cloughie arrived with the entire Forest squad and said the drinks were on me. Then they went on to beat us!”

GARRY BIRTLES admitted the death of mentor Brian Clough was “like losing a member of my own family”.

Clough transformed him from a carpet-fitter into a European Cup winner and England striker.

Birtles said: “There will never be anyone like him again.

“He did so much for me as a player, and for everyone else that has ever been connected with Forest.”

TREVOR FRANCIS said he was shellshocked by Brian Clough’s death.

Cloughie made Francis Britain’s first £1million player when he signed him from Birmingham in 1978 — and the England striker scored the winner against Malmo in that season’s European Cup final.

Francis said: “It’s an absolute shocker. I wasn’t aware how ill he’d been.

“I had the very greatest respect for him both as a manager and a person.

“So much of the success I enjoyed, including both my European Cup-winning medals, was down to him.”

PETER SHILTON last night paid tribute to Brian Clough by ranking him higher than Bill Shankly, Jock Stein and Sir Alf Ramsey.

The former England and Nottingham Forest keeper said: “They all had an aura and charisma about them but Cloughie had an extra X-factor too.

“In the early days he was as much my mentor as my manager.”

Shilts enjoyed sensational success under Clough at the City Ground.

And the keeper added: “My book comes out in 10 days’ time and so much of it is about Brian and those three incredible years.”

FRANK CLARK has thanked Brian Clough for providing him with one of the greatest memories of his career.

Defender Clark played under Clough at Nottingham Forest for five years.

But what sticks in Clark’s mind is Clough helping him score his only goal.

He explained: “I hadn’t scored in over 500 matches but Cloughie put me on against Ipswich at half-time and told me to play up front!

“It’s the only time I’ve known players to laugh out loud in the dressing room.

“As it happened, I scored my only ever goal and it was all down to the boss.”

Cloughie corkers

MARTIN O’NEILL saw red when Cloughie left him out of Forest’s first team. He went to complain and asked why he had been told to play in the second team. Cloughie told him: "Because you’re too good for the thirds."

CLOUGHIE just loved the big-name singers and he once met the legendary Frank Sinatra backstage. But if anyone asked him about the memorable moment he’d simply recall: "Ah yes, Frank Sinatra, he met me once."

SCOT Ian Wallace, a £1.25million buy, recalled: "When I walked into his office for contract talks he insisted we watch McEnroe play Borg. We were supposed to be negotiating my Forest deal and sat for three hours watching bloody Wimbledon."

CLOUGHIE arrived home after a midweek match in the early hours of a freezing December morning but woke wife Barbara as he got into bed. She gasped: "God, your feet are freezing." Cloughie replied: "Eh luv, you can call me Brian in bed."

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Read some more stuff about him last night an checked in my football quotes book. Some of my favorite quotes.

"I'm not the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top 1."

'When a player and i had a disagreement I'd meet with the player for a few hours and we'd come to the same agreement. I was right"

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FANS UNITE TO HONOUR CLOUGH

Fans of Nottingham Forest and Derby County want the road linking the cities to be named after the late Brian Clough.
Traditionally fierce rivals, both sets of sets of supporters agree it would be fitting to name the A52 ‘Brian Clough Way’ in honour of the manager who guided both clubs to huge success.

“It is one of several very good ideas to remember Cloughie,” said Paul Ellis, chairman of the Nottingham Forest Supporters Club.

“We’ve had a couple of discussions and it is one of three ideas we think are suitable.

“The club need to do something,” he added. “There’s already a Brian Clough stand so perhaps gates at the City Ground could be named after him.”

But there is unanimous agreement to name the A52 after Clough - and the campaign is gathering momentum.

Nick Sellors, spokesman for the Derby fans group RamsTrust, added: “He is best known for his involvement with us and our friends down the road and, although both sides have been trying to claim him for their own, let's face it, he was a football god within the east midlands.

“The road that links the two cities is the best way, we think, to remember the great man,” he told the Derby Evening Telegraph.

The A52 currently has several road names in different parts of the carriageway.The decision to name the road ‘Brian Clough Way’ lies with the Highways Agency, who said it is possible if every local government authority on the A52 agrees.

Nottingham City Council are also currently considering a number of other options to honour Clough.

“We are thinking about a suitable tribute given what Brian Clough achieved for Nottingham,” said a Nottingham City Council press officer.

“We have not had detailed discussions about what that would be and we do not want to do anything without consulting the Clough family.

“It’s too early too say, but discussions have started.”

Although the council would not be able to rename existing roads after Clough, it is possible to name new developments after the man who took Forest to consecutive European Cups.

Nottingham Forest confirmed they will help fund a major tribute to their former manager - and will consult Clough’s family before deciding.

Chairman Nigel Doughty said: “It really goes without saying that Nottingham Forest, who owe so much to the contribution made by Brian in his 18 years with us as a manager, want to make some significant tribute to him.

“At the appropriate time we will hopefully discuss with Mrs Clough and her family what we can do to place on record the club’s total appreciation of how much he meant,” he told the official club website, www.nottinghamforest.co.uk.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0