Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rangers Get Pick For Cherapanov's Death

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
NHL.com - News: Rangers receive compensatory pick for Cherepanov - 03/12/2009

What do you guys think of that? I think it's bogus. I mean, no doubt it is sad, but (and my memory doesn't always serve me right and I'm too lazy to look) didn't they find performance enhancers in his blood which could have contributed to his death? If the Rangers were that worried about him shouldn't they have been monitoring him? Do the Canucks get a pick because Luc Bourdon was tragically lost albeit for a different reason?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It’s that high? Diabolical.

Chances are a lot better now than in years past. W/ Salary Cap constraints and budget constraints to come, a lot of these older players will find themselves being “encouraged to retire”. The younger players are getting more and more opportunity, and being fast-tracked in. The days of seniority are quickly disappearing, it is all about short contracts, and low pay now.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a Joke!

There is no way they should get this pick. The Canucks should have a pick for bourdon's passing if this is going to set a tone.

Sather and the Rangers piss me off.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like Dude said, more and more often with the training programs these kids go through, and the need in the salary cap era to have young cheap talent in your roster.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So it was just pointed out to me that in the CBA, there's language that if an NHL team does not sign their first rounder after 2 years, they will get a compensatory draft pick. Alexei Cherepanov was not signed, so the Rangers got a draft pick as compensation for not signing him, not for his dying. I guess that makes sense then.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hammerhead, there are just as many 2nd rounders playing in the NHL as first rounders.
Look at the Canucks and how many guys are not first rounders.8 Players total of the 22 roster.
Bernier: 1st Round (Sharks)
Bieksa: 5th Round Nucks
Burrows: Undrafted
Davison: 4th Round (sharks)
Demitra: 9th Round (Sens)
Edler: 3rd Round (Nucks)
Hansen: 9th Round (Nucks)
Hordichuk: 6th Round (Thrashers)
Johnson: 2nd Round (Panthers)
Kesler: 1st Round
LaBarbera: 3rd Round (Rangers)
Luongo" 1st Round (Isles)
Mitchell: 8th Round (Devils)
O'Brien: 8th Round (Ducks)
Ohlund: 1st Round (Nucks)
Pyatt: 1st Round (Isles)
Raymond: 2nd Rounder (Nucks)
Rypien: Undrafted
Salo:9th Round (last player taken that draft!!)
Sedins: 1st Round
Sundin: 1st Round (Nords)
Vaananen: 2nd Round (Yotes)
Wellwood: 5th Round (leafs)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0