Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pick Team Canada for the Upcoming 2004 World Cup

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Coaching

Personally I think Crow will always be branded for his decision not to pick the Great One in the shoot out back in '98... Seriously, if we want to see good offensive hockey and a chance to show the world how talented of a hockey Nation we are then we can't let Martin ot Hitchkock take the head job!!! Marc Crawford has developed into one of the top coaches in the game and is a guy who certainly learns from his mistakes... He has developed a solid small market team with all of his top players playing for less money than they could get elsewhere and them buying into his phillosophy... That said, I don't like the idea of changing what worked last time... Quinn did a great job and shouldn't get axed for any reason other than if his health becomes questionable again???
Canadian coaches coaching Canadian teams!!! :)
Head Coach: Quinn.
Assistants: Crow & Martin.
Cammie granato can be the trainer!!! :rolleyes: :eek:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A little hockey funny...

Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman and Wayne Gretzky are standing before God at the throne of Heaven.
God looks at them and says, "Before granting you a place at my side, I must first ask you what you believe in." Addressing Lemieux first, he asks, "What do you believe?"
Mario looks God in the eye and states passionately, "I believe Hockey to be the food of life. Nothing else brings such unbridled joy to so many people, from Moscow to the bright lights of New York. I have devoted my life to bringing such joy to people who watch us and support their team." God looks up and offers Mario the seat to his left.
He then turns to Steve Yzerman, "And you, Steve, what do you believe?" Stevie Yzerman stands tall and proud, "I believe courage, honor and passion are the fundamentals to life and I've spent my whole playing career providing a living embodiment of these traits." God, moved by the passion of the speech offers Yzerman the seat to his right.
Finally, he turns to Wayne Gretzky, "And you, Wayne, what do you believe?"
I believe," says Gretzky, "You're sitting in my seat"

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luongo (starting) Brodeur, Belfour
Blake, Neidermeyer, Pronger, Jovo, Foote, Stevens

Bert, Kariya, Thornton, Nash, Iginla, Lecavallier, St Louis, Sakic, Heatley, Tanguay, Yzerman, Nolan, Lindros

Richards, Savard

You have to be dreaming if you think Lemieux will be there on skates, although it wouldn't totally surprise me to see him behind the bench as an assistant. More probable will be to see him up top beside wayne.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Balsy picking Lindros, and Luongo as a starter.

Lindros is starting to come back to form though...we'll see if he's willing to play in the Worlds during Cup time. I can't see the Rangers making the top 8. If he's playing like he did 5 years ago, it's a no brainer. You take him.

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luongo has to be the most underrated goalie in the nhl......it seems like he faces at least 40 shots every game. Brodeur is obviously one of, if not the best in the league, but look who is front of him. He has the two best d in the east shutting down the best opposing forward line.

Lindros has come back to form, he's scoring, throwing huge hits, and well I think that one right uppercut put him on my list. Looks as if the passion for winning is back.

Any way you look at it, its goin to be a great team and a very entertaining tournament.

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Correct me if Im wrong but the nhlpa has negotiated into their contract that each team must have 3 players under the age of 21, 22 or 23 (not too sure) on their roster. Im pretty sure it was that way in the olympics. That could drastically change the dynamics of the team,

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not really. Nash is 19, so is Heatly. Not sure about Tanguay, but I'm pretty sure he's under 23. St. Louis perhaps, too.

Anyhow, didn't hear anything about that, but it wouldn't shock me. Not a bad thing, either.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
Not really. Nash is 19, so is Heatly. Not sure about Tanguay, but I'm pretty sure he's under 23. St. Louis perhaps, too.

Anyhow, didn't hear anything about that, but it wouldn't shock me. Not a bad thing, either.

St.Louis is approaching thirty years of age, Tanguay is definetly over 23 and Im pretty sure Heatley hasn't been 19 for a few years now. He might even be over 23. But you were right on one of them. Nash is 19. 1/4 isn't too bad for a guy like you.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd like confirmation on Heatly...I think he's either 19 or 20. He was a rookie at 17-18, wasn't he? Christ...he still has a face full of zits.

I'd like confirmation on Heatly & Tanguay.

St. Louis...that surprises me, but I wouldn't have been if you said 26.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I'm mumbling, it's my foot in my mouth. For the first time. On this thread. :eek:

Heatly will be 23 this month.

Tanguay was born in 1979, so about 25 this year. St. Louis is almost as old as I am...about 28.

What can I say...not as smart as I think I am.

~KNVB.

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unless Jovo picks up his game I would not have him on team Canada. Especially Adrian Aucoin, and Scott Stevens and Sheldon Souray should all be considered ahead of him. Also, Roberto Luongo should be one of the 3 goalies. Jovo is far too overrated in my opinion, and if Brodeur is playing, Canada should take 2 younger goalies to back him up to get experience, and Luongo and Theodore are 2 perfect candidates.

sillyrabbit

Aug 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I cant believe how many times Lalime has been picked, especially with Theodore playing the way he is ..

given the under 22 rule,

I think Nash, Fleury and Jackman (if healthy) should be the 3 ..

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isnt Jackman done for the season because of a little bump from Big Bert? I thought he had major shoulder surgery :confused:

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I couldn't see Jackman playing in the tourney, especially since he's out for the year with the shoulder injury. I'd rather see them get Bouwmeester in the mix - he's got more upside and is a better skater than Jackman.

After watching Luongo this week-end at the All-Star game, I'd say Gretz's hand has been forced to get him into the goalie mix.

Keep in mind the World Cup of hockey is played with North American rules and ice surface, which could greatly alter some of the decisions. I think more emphasis will be placed on projected 3rd and 4th liners to be bigger, faster checking-types as opposed to the smaller, "skilled" prototype ones we saw in Salt Lake (ie: Nieuwendyk, Peca, Smyth, Gagne)

In this light, you'll see beasts like Bertuzzi, Primeau, Doan and Nash get more of a look - more power and strength throughout the lineup.

Here's what Bob McKenzie figures the World Cup team will look like.

McKenzie's Team Canada - February 6, 2004

Player S/C HT WT Birthdate Hometown Team

Goaltenders

Martin Brodeur L 6'2 210 5/6/72 Montreal, QC New Jersey
Roberto Luongo L 6'3 205 4/4/79 Montreal, QC Florida
Jose Theodore R 5'11 182 9/13/76 Laval, QC Montreal

Defence

Rob Blake R 6'4 225 12/10/69 Simcoe, ON Colorado
Jay Bouwmeester L 6'4 210 9/27/83 Edmonton, AB Florida
Eric Brewer L 6'3 220 4/17/79 Vernon, BC Edmonton
Adam Foote R 6'2 215 7/10/71 Toronto, ON Colorado
Ed Jovanovski L 6'2 210 6/26/76 Windsor, ON Vancouver
Scott Niedermayer L 6'1 200 8/31/73 Edmonton, AB New Jersey
Chris Pronger L 6'6 220 10/10/74 Dryden, ON St. Louis
Brad Stuart L 6'2 215 11/6/79 Rocky Mtn. House, AB San Jose

Forwards

Todd Bertuzzi L 6'3 235 2/2/75 Sudbury, ON Vancouver
Shane Doan R 6'2 216 10/10/76 Halkirk, AB Phoenix
Jarome Iginla R 6'1 208 7/1/77 Edmonton, AB Calgary
Paul Kariya L 5'10 176 10/16/74 Vancouver, BC Colorado
Mario Lemieux R 6'4 230 10/5/65 Montreal, QC Pittsburgh
Rick Nash L 6'3 188 6/16/84 Brampton, ON Columbus
Joe Sakic L 5'11 195 7/7/69 Burnaby, BC Colorado
Jason Spezza R 6'2 206 6/13/83 Mississauga, ON Ottawa
Patrick Marleau L 6'2 210 9/15/79 Aneroid, SK San Jose
Mike Peca R 5'11 190 3/26/74 Toronto, ON NY Islanders
Keith Primeau L 6'5 220 11/24/71 Toronto, ON Philadelphia
Alex Tanguay L 6'0 190 11/21/79 Ste-Justine, QC Colorado
Joe Thornton L 6'4 220 7/2/79 London, ON Boston
Wes Walz R 5'10 180 5/15/70 Calgary, AB Minnesota
Steve Yzerman R 5'11 185 5/9/65 Cranbrook, BC Detroit

Wes Walz??

filling the net

Not Bright
Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
sensei_hanson said:
I couldn't see Jackman playing in the tourney, especially since he's out for the year with the shoulder injury. I'd rather see them get Bouwmeester in the mix - he's got more upside and is a better skater than Jackman.

After watching Luongo this week-end at the All-Star game, I'd say Gretz's hand has been forced to get him into the goalie mix.

Keep in mind the World Cup of hockey is played with North American rules and ice surface, which could greatly alter some of the decisions. I think more emphasis will be placed on projected 3rd and 4th liners to be bigger, faster checking-types as opposed to the smaller, "skilled" prototype ones we saw in Salt Lake (ie: Nieuwendyk, Peca, Smyth, Gagne)

In this light, you'll see beasts like Bertuzzi, Primeau, Doan and Nash get more of a look - more power and strength throughout the lineup.

Here's what Bob McKenzie figures the World Cup team will look like.

Wes Walz??

Keith Primeau is fukcing horriable....we might as well dress Henrik up in canadian gear take his purse away and let him center the fourth line...the day wes walz makes the team is the day that I stop watching hockey

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Eric Brewer? He been a big fat fcuking zero all year. 12 points and -2 = crap!

Id rather see Bergeron than fcuking Brewer

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From sports net.ca

St. Louis, Tanguay, Doan among new faces for Team Canada?
posted February 19 @ 15:21, EST

(CP) - Martin St. Louis, Alex Tanguay and Shane Doan are among the new faces that have a serious shot of making Team Canada's squad for this summer's World Cup of Hockey.

The defending Olympic champions should have several newcomers when executive director Wayne Gretzky releases the roster in mid-May. Every country must also name three players under the age of 22 among its 26 players.

Here's a look at CP's selections for Canada's World Cup team, as things stand now, comparing them to the Salt Lake City roster of February 2002 (with current age):

Goaltenders

Salt Lake: Martin Brodeur, 31 years old; Curtis Joseph, 36; Ed Belfour, 38.

World Cup:

1. Brodeur. In a class by himself.
2. Jose Theodore, 27. Single most important reason the rebuilding Habs remain in a playoff spot.
3. Roberto Luongo, 24. The Panthers would be the Penguins without Luongo's nightly heroics. Third among NHL starting goalies with .932 save percentage.

Defence
Salt Lake: Adam Foote, 32; Ed Jovanovski, 27; Al MacInnis, 40; Rob Blake, 34; Scott Niedermayer, 30; Chris Pronger, 29; Eric Brewer, 24.

World Cup:
1. Foote. Two-time Olympian will be one of Canada's key leaders on a young team. Smaller NHL rinks adhere to his physical style.
2. Pronger. May win Norris Trophy this season.
2. Blake. Leg injury a concern but always a staple of past Canadian teams. Major offensive force.
4. Niedermayer. Is there anyone better in the transition game?
5. Wade Redden, 26. Long overdue for the Senators star, equally effective in both sides of the game.
6. Jovanovski. Needs a strong playoff to hold his spot after missing time with shoulder injury.
7. Bryan McCabe, 28. Where would the Leafs be without him? Physical force among the league leaders in defencemen scoring.

Forwards
Salt Lake: Theo Fleury, 35; Simon Gagne, 23; Jarome Iginla, 26; Eric Lindros, 30; Joe Nieuwendyk, 37; Michael Peca, 29; Brendan Shanahan, 35; Ryan Smyth, 27 (28 on Saturday); Paul Kariya, 29; Mario Lemieux, 38; Owen Nolan, 32; Joe Sakic, 34; Steve Yzerman, 38.

World Cup:
Note: Lemieux is an automatic choice if he's up to it after recovering from season-ending hip surgery.

1. Sakic. All-star game MVP will probably wear the 'C' if Lemieux isn't there.
2. Kariya. Canada's best skater, always an automatic choice.
3. Iginla. Olympic winning goal-scorer carrying the Calgary Flames. First-line right-winger for Canada.
4. Joe Thornton, 24. Here's hoping he's not still bitter about not being in Salt Lake.
5. Todd Bertuzzi, 29. Imagine Big Bert on a line with Thornton. Ouch.
6. Alex Tanguay, 24. Leads NHL with 45 assists, a superstar in the making.
7. Shane Doan, 27. Gives Canada much-needed size and skill on the right side. Having career year.
8. Dany Heatley, 23. Should have his 'A' game back by then.
9. Martin St. Louis, 28. No one has raised his stock more with Canadian management thanks to sensational season. Plays right wing, which Canada needs.
10. Keith Primeau, 32. Don't be surprised by this, assistant coach Ken Hitch**** will lobby hard to include perhaps the NHL's best defensive centre.
11. Kris Draper, 32. Veteran checker having career offensive season with 23 goals and was a key member of Canada's world champions in Helsinki last spring.
12. Smyth. Like most of his Oilers teammates, having an off-year but one can't forget he's a world and Olympic gold medallist.
13. Brad Richards, 23. Consistent point producer since entering the NHL four years ago and excellent skater.

Under-22

1. Rick Nash, 19. His name is already stitched on a Team Canada jersey: 31 goals in 57 games on the dreary Blue Jackets.
2. Jay Bouwmeester, 20. A memory that won't go away: Named the top defenceman at the world championships last spring.
3. Jason Spezza, 20. Plus-16 heading into Thursday's game at the Corel Centre while living up to billing on the offensive size.

filling the net

Not Bright
Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
10. Keith Primeau, 32. Don't be surprised by this, assistant coach Ken Hitch**** will lobby hard to include perhaps the NHL's best defensive centre.

Primeau is horriable one of the worst flyers, they might as well put wade brookbank on the team to.

How did Primeau make the allstar game...man Peter Shefier is twice the player

Primeau needs to get off Hitch****s jock

filling the net

Not Bright
Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Team Sweden

Team Sweden is going to be Canada's toughest match....Man if all there superstars play they have a really solid sqaud unless tommy salo is the goalie

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0