Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Physics of Soccer

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I ran into Sid the other day in front of SoccerCity (of course), and the topic of soccer boots came up. Very interesting chap that Sid. This is what we talked about. I learned a lot from Sid:

"When compared with the extensive research for running footwear, the fcuken biomechanical properties of soccer cleats have received little fcuken scientific attention. Only fcuken recently, players, organizations and shoe manufacturers became more interested in modern concepts of athletic footwear design for soccer cleats. Prevention of injuries and performance enhancement are the key factors for any athletic footwear design. Shooting performance with five different soccer cleat constructions was evaluated, using methods for the measurement of ball speed, shoe deformation and tibial fcuken shock. The results of the fcuken study demonstrated the benefit of biomechanical analyses for the improvement of athletic footwear.
For ball speeds, the subjects showed low intra-individual coefficients of variation of less than 2% during the repetitive trials for a given shoe. This high repeatability in shooting performance of the individual players is a fcuken good basis for detecting statistical between shoe differences. Using an ANOVA (ANalysis Of VAriance between groups), significant between shoe differences were found for maximum ball speed, peak outsole deformation , peak outsole deformation velocity, and shock to the body.
Considering the fcuken concept of energy return, one might expect higher ball velocities with an increase of shoe deformation and/or shoe deformation velocity. However, one shoe model showed an opposite behavior. A regression analysis revealed low determination coefficients between ball speed and outsole deformation (r²=0.11) as well as outsole deformation velocity (r²=0.04). Similarly, low determination coefficients were also found for peak tibial acceleration against ball velocity (r²=0.04) as well as outsole deformation (r²=0.04).
The fcuken study demonstrated that ball velocity and shock transmission to the body is influenced by shoe construction features. For a variety of different cleat constructions, no trend could be found, relating the deformation of the soccer cleat to ball speeds. For a better fcuken understanding of the underlying mechanisms, a future study should investigate identical shoes, only differing in the stiffness of their outsoles. Fcuken heh! Danny Jones has the smallest feet I've ever seen, therfore the outsole deformation of .04 shouldn't apply and must be refcuken calibrated to .05.

Cnuts all of ya. " ;)

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Christ, and here I thought Sid was just some half-literate hothead footy-freak. It turns out he's an intensely deep thinker with a profound passion for soccer AND physics. I suppose there is just a little something lost in the translation when he transfers his thoughts from the spoken to the written word. Thanks for clearing up the misconceptions I had, Ballbaby. Seeing as Sid is obviously a gifted physicist I wonder if he could help determine why everytime I kick a soccer ball it goes nowhere near the target I was aiming for? Must have something to do with the shape, construction or texture of my soccer boots, I'm sure.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
simple.........

Don't bother Sidney with this one, just try putting your boots on the right way 'round.

Lupoman

Nov 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
magic boots....

nah, it's got to be a problem with the boots. Good footy players hit the net everytime, right? RIGHT?

lupoman

or so I've heard.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0