Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jesse Marsch

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am not a fan of the MLS title being attached to the position.
Makes me feel like there was a payday somewhere...

Who cares about the title. I am happy that the new Canada Soccer CEO found a new revenue stream and accomplished something. Without the money from the MLS owners we were looking at 4 years of Biello in charge.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who cares about the title. I am happy that the new Canada Soccer CEO found a new revenue stream and accomplished something. Without the money from the MLS owners we were looking at 4 years of Biello in charge.
It is a little bit weird:
"...Marsch’s position will be formally titled as the MLS Canada Men’s National Team Head Coach during the term of his initial contract."

I don't think it's a mistake to take the donations and funding but you can't have a world Cup team sponsor named.
You could have something a little shorter added to media releases without it noted in the coach's title.

The full text clarifies why and the why is not likely to be opposed by anyone:

Philanthropic Support from MLS Owners

The appointment of Marsch is assisted by major philanthropic contributions from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs – Vancouver Whitecaps, Joey Saputo, and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment – and supplemented by other private donors. In recognition of their significant philanthropic support, Marsch’s position will be formally titled as the MLS Canada Men’s National Team Head Coach during the term of his initial contract. This type of donor recognition is common at universities and hospitals, in NCAA sports, and is starting to be used in the Canadian sport system – for example, with the Stollery Family Women’s National Team Head Coach support at Golf Canada.

These commitments are part of a forthcoming major gifts program that will provide Canadian philanthropists with a structured opportunity to support Canada Soccer programs of all types – including the Men’s and Women’s National Team systems, from youth teams up through the senior national teams.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Instead of this telling this guy to "bang on" ask him where's part 2? The obstacles.

This guy is knocking basically a pay to play system which I've said to our son when their daughter's soccer was costing them some $5 to 10K for play, travel etc that some of the best athletes he played with on my youth soccer and baseball teams came from financial situations and new immigrant families who could never afford that. Not only that, I was told that if their team didn't travel to all these tourneys they won't get scholarship offers etc. My response was that the money you'd save for your kids ed if not spending it on travel will pay for a good local university education if your kids on that team aren't US scholarship level.

A few months back I was talking to a u/15 coach after their team beat a local rival team in cup play where I watched the game speaking to a dad from that rival. I said to the winning coach that team had a good GK and striker. His response was him hoping to get these two players next year on his team despite his team making it to provincials with the talent they have now. Not being critical of the coach, it's just how it's done these days.

Just after that I watched his team play a friendly vs a Burnaby team that was outclassed. The Burnaby team had a parent who played youth for me. Found out that this Burnaby was stripped of their better players to make one strong Burnaby and now this one sucks.

While that guy is speaking a lot on Ontario, how come we're not in BC with all the paid coaches producing more national team players?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Instead of this telling this guy to "bang on" ask him where's part 2? The obstacles.

This guy is knocking basically a pay to play system ...

Pay to play system in only Part 1 of the post. Try scrolling through and reading the rest

While that guy is speaking a lot on Ontario, how come we're not in BC with all the paid coaches producing more national team players?
This is covered in Part 2 where he states that the so called elite development leagues in ON are "failing today to provide aspiring players with the standards of coaching, training, and competition needed to optimize development"

Same applies to BC. Expanding BCSPL to what is it now, 15 clubs? There simply is not the quantity of players or coaches available to expand that much and keep the standard high. A lot of the "paid coaches" you are referring to are unfortunately way out of their depth.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
it's the pay to play I was referencing. Everything he said in that regard was 100% my experience in the youth system as a coach and administrator; I didn't say more because I couldn't add anything meaningful to what he already explained...

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"...failing today to provide aspiring players with the standards of coaching, training, and competition needed to optimize development"

Part of the problem that seems to have gotten worse are parents living their lives vicariously through their kids and their willingness to pay for play to make sure their kid gets a scholarship offer.

The major soccer countries have soccer as their main game and the critical mass of youth soccer and leagues and players that produce top talent for the pro leagues. We're small in numbers and spread out all over and with so many competing sports like hockey, it's a challenge to develop players irrespective of coaching talent.

It's been said over and over that until there are more pro league opportunities at home we can't develop more talent. BUT that is equally a challenge as people don't want to pay for that.

From what I see in youth soccer today is that kids are traveling long ways to games and it's no wonder they're not going on into senior amateur soccer in part due to other commitments - studies, jobs and in part, they're tired of the time commitment just to get a game in.
Balanced leagues and teams is a good thing but constantly moving kids to the better teams and turnover in youth soccer just to get a better team seems crazy.

In the 80's when I was coaching youth soccer I was at a Xmas party where a youth Richmond coach was and I was shocked that in those days they played much like my youth baseball team schedule - two games a week. By Christmas they had played far more games than my team which meant only 1 practice I guess. I think there is merit in that.

With Sapperton there was one kid on Premier and one on my div 1 team who trained in South America. The kid I had had more elite training than my entire team put together but he hadn't a clue as to how to play in midfield. The Premier guy wasn't that much better but both had fantastic ball skills.
Playing in games and on teams where you're not always the best player or on a team built to beat all others is how kids learn and develop.

Michael

Jan 25, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
"...failing today to provide aspiring players with the standards of coaching, training, and competition needed to optimize development"

Part of the problem that seems to have gotten worse are parents living their lives vicariously through their kids and their willingness to pay for play to make sure their kid gets a scholarship offer.

The major soccer countries have soccer as their main game and the critical mass of youth soccer and leagues and players that produce top talent for the pro leagues. We're small in numbers and spread out all over and with so many competing sports like hockey, it's a challenge to develop players irrespective of coaching talent.

It's been said over and over that until there are more pro league opportunities at home we can't develop more talent. BUT that is equally a challenge as people don't want to pay for that.

From what I see in youth soccer today is that kids are traveling long ways to games and it's no wonder they're not going on into senior amateur soccer in part due to other commitments - studies, jobs and in part, they're tired of the time commitment just to get a game in.
Balanced leagues and teams is a good thing but constantly moving kids to the better teams and turnover in youth soccer just to get a better team seems crazy.

In the 80's when I was coaching youth soccer I was at a Xmas party where a youth Richmond coach was and I was shocked that in those days they played much like my youth baseball team schedule - two games a week. By Christmas they had played far more games than my team which meant only 1 practice I guess. I think there is merit in that.

With Sapperton there was one kid on Premier and one on my div 1 team who trained in South America. The kid I had had more elite training than my entire team put together but he hadn't a clue as to how to play in midfield. The Premier guy wasn't that much better but both had fantastic ball skills.
Playing in games and on teams where you're not always the best player or on a team built to beat all others is how kids learn and develop.

I'm all for more games. 2 games a week would be better than once a week.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts