Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gregor Robertson: pro stadium

Johnnie Monster

Apr 9, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] On April 29 I e-mailed all of Vancouver's mayoral candidates about the stadium fiasco...

Thus far I've received a blanket response from Sam Sullivan, and a rather encouraging e-mail from NDP MLA Gregor Robertson.

By god, dare I say it? He's one of us!

[ Note: In fairness to Allan DeGenova, he e-mailed me his phone number within seconds of receiving my e-mail. I wrote back asking for a response in writing to avoid any misinterpretations re: his positions given the fact I would be sharing his response with others. No response yet, but keep the fingers crossed.]

Anyway, Gregor's e-mail as follows:

Dear John,

As you may know, I am an avid soccer player (VMSL Div 2) and Whitecaps fan since the beginning. Let me start by saying that Vancouver needs a professional soccer stadium and as Mayor I would ensure that it gets moving. Soccer fans have waited long enough for a much-needed home for the Whitecaps. The MLS in Vancouver would be great for the city, and would be one of my priorities should I be elected as mayor.

The Port and the Whitecaps should continue their negotiations but it’s important that we consider alternative locations, including reconsideration of the False Creek Flats. The Flats (just east of Science World) has city-owned land and might be the best opportunity to get the stadium moving. An agreement on the waterfront may be hard to reach. Either way, we need to move on and get this done.

The city cannot force the Port (federal government) to give up the land and any provincial government intervention would simply add to the controversy. The solution is for the city government to make a resolution a priority. I totally understand Mr. Kerfoot’s frustration and the new Mayor must work to find the optimal place for the stadium. It will not only offer a place for the Whitecaps and amateur soccer, but may be used as a community amenity for concerts and events.

I trust this answers your question and I look forward to working together to make a professional soccer stadium in Vancouver a reality.

Sincerely,

Gregor

Ok, all you mayorals! As they used to say in the WFP: Show us your balls!
[/FONT]

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] On April 29 I e-mailed all of Vancouver's mayoral candidates about the stadium fiasco...![/FONT]

I got the same response. Not much from anyone else however. I think I got 3 total.

I am firing off round two email tomorow AM. I am escalating to Pissed-off Level Orange.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Me too :D

Blanketed for sure, but at least it sounds sincere...

Dear John,

As you may know, I am an avid soccer player (VMSL Div 2) and Whitecaps fan since the beginning. Let me start by saying that Vancouver needs a professional soccer stadium and as Mayor I would ensure that it gets moving. Soccer fans have waited long enough for a much-needed home for the Whitecaps. The MLS in Vancouver would be great for the city, and would be one of my priorities should I be elected as mayor.

The Port and the Whitecaps should continue their negotiations but it’s important that we consider alternative locations, including reconsideration of the False Creek Flats. The Flats (just east of Science World) has city-owned land and might be the best opportunity to get the stadium moving. An agreement on the waterfront may be hard to reach. Either way, we need to move on and get this done.

The city cannot force the Port (federal government) to give up the land and any provincial government intervention would simply add to the controversy. The solution is for the city government to make a resolution a priority. I totally understand Mr. Kerfoot’s frustration and the new Mayor must work to find the optimal place for the stadium. It will not only offer a place for the Whitecaps and amateur soccer, but may be used as a community amenity for concerts and events.

I trust this answers your question and I look forward to working together to make a professional soccer stadium in Vancouver a reality.

Sincerely,

Gregor

--
Campaign to Nominate Gregor Robertson
Office: 604-637-8800
Email: gregor@gregor08.ca
Web: Gregor For Mayor '08

Johnnie Monster

Apr 9, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, and Bill Currie got the same one too.

I know I'm being somewhat hypocritical about this, given that I've voiced my displeasure with Sam Sullivan's blanket response. That said, Gregor's e-mail at least answered 2.5 of my 3 specific questions to a certain degree, whereas Sam's response fell short.

I'm by no means a fan of the NDP on any level, but I like the fact that Gregor has gone out of his way to let us know where he stands. I had no idea he played in VMSL, which gives me hope that if elected, he'll continue to support soccer in spite of whatever resistance he meets from his NDP colleagues.

Sam's response seemed "typical political" - i.e. he said a lot without saying anything. Gregor's response sounded much more human.

Hopefully Peter Ladner gets his response in soon...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone know who Gregor plays for?

Peter Ladner can be reached on his Crackbook page. He might respond when he gets off of his bike.:rolleyes:

Ray Louie is a soccer parent as well. He should be showing a bit more interest in the situation...

Trece

Johnnie Monster

Apr 9, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ray Louie was really dragging his heels through the public hearings a couple years back. It was practically along the lines of...

"More studies, more consultation, blah blah blah... what does my mom think? What do the seagulls think?"

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To be fair, I really think he is onto something with the seagull study. It could become quite an issue after the stadium is built and the segulls decide to start shitting everwhere.

Kerfoot would then turnaround and tell the city they needed to address the issue, meaning the tax payers would be on the hook for some type of clean-up project and further seagull management process.

You need to look no further than the Burnaby Lake grass fields and the issues surrounding the geese there, it is a mess.

:D

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The parks guys have bottle rockets for Burnaby Lake grass, big problem for the geese, no problems for the players.

The high levels of lead is not in geese shitt but in the turf fields, that is where the money for studies should go.

Bring the Stadium to Delta and have a view of Mount Baker instead of the North Shore mountains.

hos

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0