Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gordon Campbell

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree.

I also find John McComb in the evening, heavily pro-Liberal. But that's what makes the professionals (eg. Rafe, Good Jr., and Philip Till) stand out. It's their ability to question everything, yet stay neutral. Well, most of the time.

But back to the MSP argument.

My point is that anyone with a 'decent' job (let's say, for instance, any salaried individual) is likely to find the MSP premium increase financial managable -- regardless of whether or not, the MSP is 'built into' their contract or not. On the other hand, hourly wage earners, on average, will have a heck of a time trying to fit a 50% 'tax' increase into their budget.

This is not equal.

And finally, let me make this clear: I am not against the general direction the Liberals want to take us (that is, reducing provincial debt) however, it is the speed and unyeilding determination with which he intends to do it. Rafe put it best the other day: "You don't decide to buy a new car in two years at all costs, at the expense of your family's welfare. You set a goal, do your best to meet it under given financial conditions, and make adjustments to your plan as necessary." [paraphrased, but close to the original]

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It pains me to say this, but I somewhat agree.

I’ve said before in the Teacher’s thread: Gordo is hell-bent on balancing the budget as quickly as he can, at all costs. I am 100% against the shafting he has given our teachers and the shafting that has been given to our nurses before Campbell. These people are the salt of our society. They have the most important jobs, and they should be paid accordingly. That said, we should also privatize all the civil garbage collection services.

Gordo is no dummy. He know that he has four years to make sure he only has enough voters to gain a majority government. He can afford to piss people off right now. What he is doing is the equivalent of ripping a band-aid off a hairy Italian. It hurts like hell right now, but (hopefully) things will be good enough in four years that we’ll forget about the pain from tearing off the band-aid.

Screw You Captain

Nov 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
campbell and garbage

Dude, I really would like to believe that all the pain is leading to something positive in the future, but I have my doubts. I can't see how selling off the hugely profitably BC Hydro will help anyone but the shareholders of whatever company takes over. This is but one example. Another: they want to increase high school graduation rates (now about 75%) but they they just hacked they hell out of the budget. Messed up kids need support to graduate.

Essentially, I don't think he gives a rat's ass about anyone who's not in the upper, upper echelons. Even people working in the lucrative dust collection industry are probably going to come out behind once all the premiums, user fees, service cuts, and new taxes add up.

SYCwillnowtakehiscampbellinducedfrustrationsoutonthenextkid'sreportcard

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Screw You,

I was wondering how long it would take you. I'm surprised you didn't make a longer post. Tell us how you really feel about the Libs. You wouldn't have anybody on the inside would you?

lucrative dust collection industry

Nice one. Not unlike the French Translation industry.

ALLONS CANADA ALLONS!!!

The Loose Apple

Feb 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gordo is POWERhungry!!

Well, I am certainly glad to read that people on this site can come up with more than the "we must get our fiscal house in order" statement that I keep hearing ad nauseum!

Let's face it - the Gordo's of the world don't go into politics for the money - why would you if in the private sector, CEOs of even small companies would make much more money. POWER folks - that's why Gordo's get into politics.

While I agree that we need to get this province in the black, at what expense? The Liberals changes have been too swift and without proper thought or consultation. And do you know why - because Gordo couldn't give a fcuk what people think. All he cares about it the bottom line. Not the human suffering these changes may create or the fact that many of the changes don't make sense. You've gotta love that quote from David Bond on Gary Collins, Finance Minister:

"Well, what do I know - Gary Collins is a certified flight instructor and I've only got a Ph.D in economics."

He doesn't even care about this neat thing called "democracy". If you're in power and you don't like teachers' or others exercising their right to assemble or bargain collectively, you can just change the legislation the suit your personal needs. That's what Gordo's done. What's next??

Thanks for letting me rant.
;)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0