Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Enraged North Americans

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay, its one thing to knock baseball or wrestling, but when non North Americans start picking on football, shite needs to hit the fan. It matters not if we know who Fastshow or those Aussie platypi speak of, when you start bad mouthing the CFL, action must be taken. Jimmy the Jet, the Gizmo, or Pinball are/were three of the most exciting players in all of sport. That's right, in all of sport. Cricket is a colonial relic that is only played by a handfull of people still loyal to a British empire that had set long before the 20th century began. The sport itself is fine. I have nothing against it. But please don't take your obvious self inadaquecies out on those of us who chose to follow games that are popular with populations other than those in which you live. That is all. And while I expect a response, rest assured I am prepared to return an answer. Thank you for listening. :D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In all fairness, the CFL may not be the hot ticket here, but if you spend any time in most of the other CFL cities (with the obvious exception being Toronto), the league is the hottest ticket in town. I worked in Winnipeg one summer, and it was an event every home night. The streets were dead, because they were either at the game, or gathered at a party to watch somewhere.

I find it funny that in Montreal, it is considered the "place to be" in the summer by many sports fans, and a huge success because they fill out Molson stadium every game, which holds something like 22,000 people- yet the BC Lions are a failure when they quite often attract the same or more to that sauna called BC Place.

So yes Keeper- it is popular in your population, just not in your household or city.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
g'day mate

Cricket is a colonial relic that is only played by a handfull of people still loyal to a British empire that had set long before the 20th century began.
1.stick to your own rules.Nice theory though.

2. How dare you try to rule out one of our favourite games!!!!!!

I went to a CFL game(in vancouver). I was good. I asked questions. I made a genuine attempt to see the game with respect. Then I set about comparing it to aussie rules, rugby union...........etc etc and then completely took the piss out of it and the overpriced pansies playing it..

I also went to baseball(mariners, expos) ........ about the same as cricket in interest and speed. clearly americans are incapable of concentrating as long as us colonials so the game was over a lot quicker.( the point of 2 innings of 50 overs is that it is very hot and the bar is open from 11am untill 10.30pm.......on the odd occasion you watch the game. This is actually the only thing you need to understand to attend cricket.)

Finally I went to truckloads of hockey. And there was nothing left to say.Cause it rocks.

see....i can be fair. :cool:

BTW: The Australian mens Cricket team was recently voted the best team in the world. One of the few teams to beat the Lakers this year..........

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm just wondering how you can call anyone playing in the CFL an overpriced pansie. I make more money than most of them.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fellow colonials

forgot to point out to The Power that queen lizzie is canada's head of state just like us!!!!

before you ALL start. i voted yes. its not my fault.

where is he anyway??????????

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
alright alright

Obviously I've touched a nerve with the folks down under (even though the thread was started some time ago, I guess North American internet posts take as long to hit you guys as North American television reruns).
Remind me again, how many people countries play CFL?
Probably the same number that play Aussie rules football, considering the name is the CANADIAN Football League, this shouldn't come as a surprise. Whether you guys like to admit it or not, cricket is a game that was spread around the globe by the British. The areas on earth that continue to play this game are mainly countries that once had a heavy British influence: the West Indies, India, Pakistan, Australia, etc...
This, however, was not the point that I was making. At the time of my original post, there was bad mouthing of sports by people who didn't understand/like them on both sides of the debate. My point was that it doesn't fcuking matter if you don't understand/like football or I don't understand/like cricket - there are a helluva lot of people who like both, so having an ignorant attitude that "your sport sucks" because you doesn't get is pointless.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
By crikey.......

mainly countries that once had a heavy British influence: the West Indies, India, Pakistan, Australia, etc...

ummmmmmm...History lesson II....canada's head of state and heritage is linked to...which country???? wanna phone a friend for this??

so having an ignorant attitude that "your sport sucks" because you doesn't get is pointless.

i presume you mean "dont get it"..............i am not a bimbo and am able to understand sports. i dont like CFL because it is shite.

BTW: good to see canada is coming close to qualifying for world cup rugby(Australia 2003). Any TTP'ers who wish to go and check out a real game should chat to deb.
GO WALLABIES!!!!!!!!

deb

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
tiner you derr-head

firstly, i'd like to apologise for the fact that i have lost the ability to write coherently........i'm currently on the wrong side of my country to normal and i blame the water.

secondly, just a reminder to tiner, on MY side of the country we play AFL, not that strange game where you go backwards to go forwards.

thirdly, who really gives a shite about a whole heap of men playing with their balls anyway?

mintox to the max!!!!!!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rugby....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......snore.........

At the risk of insulting our lady Aussies, I’m going to set the record straight for all y’all. (You’re welcome, in advance.)

First, lets clearly define the two “Footballs”: Rugby, and Gridiron. There are basically three major Gridiron leagues, NFL, CFL, and NFL Europe.

None of these sports compare to hockey for toughness, skill, speed, and overall excitement- so long as well all understand and accept that. As far as Canada’s heritage, well, thank God we have Baseball and not Cricket. Far more skill is required to play baseball- just go to your nearest batting gage, and try hitting 90+ MPH pitches, and you’ll understand how much skill really is needed to play the game.

Rugby is a tough, tough sport, played by tough men. I truly question how skilled you really need to be to step on the pitch, though. It is also as boring as hell to watch. One factors the Gridirons have going for them is that the athletes are paid more, or are working towards being paid more. Yes, the CFL and NFL Europe are fairly low paying, but the NFL is your typical, American multi-millionaire sport. The $$$ means you’ll have the athletes of the best ability competing for a job. The skill level is higher, and overall the athletes are stronger. If they weren’t, a bunch of rugby players would be making the jump over to Gridiron, just for a chance to make the money. With the exception of a couple of kickers in the NFL, this hasn’t happened. If you somehow could combine the two sports to make the rules different enough for both sports to give each a fair shot, no rugby half back is going to outplay a gridiron running back.

Finally, because gridiron has more skill (mainly because of the lure of $$$), the entertainment value is higher. One of the most intriguing aspects of Gridiron is the strategy, individual skills, and speed on display. Yes, there are a lot of breaks, but this enables the game to be played at full speed. Finally, because it is so difficult and punishing to play, the intensity every game is raised because you can physically only last for 20 / season. This is why Gridiron is very popular here in Canada, and next to religion in the US (College football is easily as popular as the NFL). I have also read that NFL Europe is taking off too, especially in Germany.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Better buckle myself in, before Fastshow replies to this one.

You should have submitted that post in:

"Philosophy from the Trailer Park - Deep Thoughts by The One-Toothed Wonder"

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
ummmmmmm...History lesson II....canada's head of state and heritage is linked to...which country???? wanna phone a friend for this??

I never disputed that. What the fcuk does that have to do with fact that a cricket should have been put to rest with Queen Victoria? CANADA DOES NOT PLAY CRICKET. Due to climate and common sense that game never caught on here.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Buckfast,

It has been at least a week since the last long-winded post. I figure I was due.

"Philosophy from the Trailer Park - Deep Thoughts by The One-Toothed Wonder"

I'm insulted by that. I have at least three teeth. At least...

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada doesn't play cricket...

Hang on a minute, I've played cricket for Canada. If we don't play the jolly old game, I'd love to know what the hell the CANADIAN team at next years Cricket World Cup are gonna play....

Dude/ Power...for a couple of Canadian lads you're sounding very American. Shame on you.

I'll take middle stump please umpire.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You admit to playing cricket?

Shame on you.

Is there any sand down by your place, in which to burry your head?;) Besides, I'd be more embarrassed of being accused of being "British", than American.:eek: It is, however, cool that you represent Canada- in any sport.

Steroids are ruining cricket anyhow.:eek:

Seatbelt fastened. What time does Fasty wake up over there?

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lefty from Lions Gate.

Dude,

You don't have to explain it to me. Just prepare yourself for Buckingham Fastshow MBE.

With the eight hour time difference, you have time to prepare.

This could get ugly. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0