LONDON (Reuters) - A Welsh police team dubbed "the Frying Squad" has been formed to sniff out motorists who fuel their cars with cooking oil from fish and chip shops in a bid to avoid paying high government fuel taxes.
Three Welsh motorists have already been caught and fined for using waste oil from restaurants selling the favourite deep-fried dish, the Times reported on Wednesday.
"I have halved my motoring costs since I started running my Subaru on cooking oil," the paper quoted one of those stopped as saying.
"The car runs just as well and even smells a lot better than diesel."
The drivers were fined 500 pounds and warned that persistent offenders may face up to seven years in jail.
Cooking oil mixed with methanol costs about 32 pence a litre, compared with 73 pence for a litre of diesel bought from a petrol station, the Times reported.
Drive thru Cash machines instructions. Male and Female
1. Drive up to the cash machine.
2. Put down your car window.
3. Insert card into machine and enter PIN.
4. Enter amount of cash required and withdraw.
5. Retrieve card, cash and receipt.
6. Put window up.
7. Drive off.
1. Drive up to cash machine.
2. Reverse and back up the required amount to align car window to
3. Set parking brake, put the window down.
4. Find handbag, remove all contents on to passenger seat to locate
5. Turn the radio down.
6. Attempt to insert card into machine.
7. Open car door to allow easier access to machine due to its
excessive distance from the car.
8. Insert card.
9. Re-insert card the right way
10.Dig through handbag to find diary with your PIN written on the
inside back page.
11. Enter PIN.
12 Press cancel and re-enter correct PIN.
13. Enter amount of cash required.
14. Check make up in rear view mirror.
15. Retrieve cash and receipt.
16. Empty handbag again to locate wallet and place cash inside.
17. Place receipt in back of checkbook.
18. Re-check make-up again.
19. Drive forward 2 feet
20. Reverse back to cash machine.
21. Retrieve card.
22. Re-empty hand bag, locate card holder, and place card into the
23. Give appropriate one-fingered hand signal to irate male driver queuing behind.
24. Restart stalled engine and pull off.
25. Drive for 2 to 3 miles.
26. Release Parking Brake.