Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 Division 1 Cup?

Milhouse

Apr 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I received an email from Kevin Uppal asking us if we wanted to enter the Pakenham Cup or a new Div 1 Cup.

The Div 1 Cup would be made up of only Div 1 and CAT teams with no provincial berths on the line.

Thoughts?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think it would be a good idea. What is the point of playing in the Pak for the weaker teams? They are more than likely going to get slaughtered anyway. May as well play in a cup where they have a chance to win something.

BTW, I don't include the Rangers in the "weaker teams" catagory, but perhaps that is where the Highlanders should be? ;)

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
A strictly Div 1/Cat Cup wouldn’t really interest me, although its always nice to prove your teams ability against other teams thought to be of the same quality I think most teams in Div1/Cat would rather go for the gusto and prove there ability against teams thought to be better of a higher quality. Plus nothings better than a provincial road trip!

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lets look at the Rangers record of 2000-04 as an example. 2/3 Pak cup wins only to be defeated in the first round by a bottom feeder cat team last year. Look at Langley last year, they made it to the quarter finals and were last in the div. Anyone can win if the stakes are high enough, thus no div 1/cat cup. Why don't they do what they used to do, have the top div 1/cat teams play off at the end of the season to battle for supremacy in addition to the cup.

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stepchild said:
Lets look at the Rangers record of 2000-04 as an example. 2/3 Pak cup wins only to be defeated in the first round by a bottom feeder cat team last year. Look at Langley last year, they made it to the quarter finals and were last in the div. Anyone can win if the stakes are high enough, thus no div 1/cat cup. Why don't they do what they used to do, have the top div 1/cat teams play off at the end of the season to battle for supremacy in addition to the cup.

That is why it is your choice. Personally I like it from a club perspective as it makes no sense to have our CAT team play in the Pak, as we will be signing heavily on the side of the premier team for cup, and will likely have a tough time getting 11 on the park for any Cup game for the CAT. Might be nice to play for something though other than recognition, perhaps prize money.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lets be honest nobody cares about cat teams or how they do and we play the div one teams all year long so why not try to upset some premier teams. I doubt any div 1 team will win the whole thing (yeh yeh Rangers of old) but it is always nice to see some upsets, just ask Poco the year they lost to Aldergrove div 1 :D . It is good that teams can choose to whimp out and play for a meaningless trophey that means nothing, hell I would love to tell people I won that cup, now what was that cup called again.

Rex

Jul 24, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought they were going to have the Div 1 teams & cat teams have a separate cup where they would just compete against each other & also go into the Pak cup that would be better.
Or better yet have a ful league cup where you put all the teams in from the league including U-21 & masters single round knock out & start that cup play fom the second week of season play, also have your regular Knights cup & Pak cup start when there suppose to but play the league cup during the week.

Cheers
Rex

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know if I am misunderstanding you rex but what i got out of it is starting cup play the second week of the season single knock out? If that is what you are saying I think that is to early to start. teams are still geling in the first half of the season and too knock out teams by week 2 would be ridiculous. I like what you are getting at but I think it should be started alot later in the season. 2 games a week might be a bit much for masters to handle as well. Maybe the winners of the pak cup, u-21 cup,div1-cat cup, and the knights cup could play in a round robin home and away each team playing 6 games and the team with the most points has total supremeacy. I know pak champ shoould take it but in situtations like that i think everybody steps up there play and it would be some pretty good soccer.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't seen a draw for this Cup yet. Whistle Blower- or anyone else in the know- what's happening with it?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like a pretty weak cup. I wonder if there is any money for the winner of if they just get a spiffy new trophy.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the grand prize is a gift certificate for a 30 minute session at Pete Thomas' tanning salon.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0