Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks Sign Steve McCarthy

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also signed Sven Butenshon

Butenschon, 29, spent last winter with Mannheim of the German Elite League and had a goal and five assists in 50 games.

The six-foot-four, 215-pound blue-liner from Germany has played for Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the New York Islanders during his seven-year career. He has two goals and 12 assists in 132 career NHL games.

He was drafted 57th overall by Pittsburgh in the 1994 NHL entry draft.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't get this signing (Sven Bootencobbler, that is). Is this a monor league deal? At 29, how is this guy- who's as well travelled as anyone- going to contribute to the system?

If he was a Canadian, maybe, but he's a marginal European player.

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
I don't get this signing (Sven Bootencobbler, that is). Is this a monor league deal? At 29, how is this guy- who's as well travelled as anyone- going to contribute to the system?

If he was a Canadian, maybe, but he's a marginal European player.

Almost word for word the discussion Nukes and I had when this journeyman came over from Surrey FC a couple three seasons ago. Seems to have worked out, filled the comedic role, collected a bit of silverware and fcuked off. It's all about roles Dude.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So true, and touché.

I think that signing you're referring to showed brilliance, foresight, and an appreciation for good hair. Forest through the trees, or something like that.

Love 'em and leave 'em,

~Dude.

LSD

May 31, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
McCarthy looks like a reliable 5th or 6th defenceman with the potential to be a top 4 guy one day. With his $760,000 salary compared to Sopel's $2.4 salary, and a 2nd rd pick gained at the cost of a 3rd, this looks to be a good move on Nonis' part.

Currently the 6th and 7th spots are up for grabs between; Baumgartner, Butenschon, Koltsov, Bieska and Mojzis, so training camp could be interesting. I wouldn't doubt that another trade will come since any of these guys should not be regular starters.

I have heard that Koltsov is coming back from Russia expecting a roster spot with the Canucks, and if it doesn't happen he will just go back to Russia and end his North American career. I can see Nonis packaging a couple of prospects like Koltsov and Fedorov (sure as fu*k better not be Kesler) for a stay-at-home physical defenceman. A guy like Colin White or Brandon Witt would be perfect to pair up with Jovonovski on the first D line. If we could pull that off and sign Cooke and Ohlund, I think our roster would be complete for a stong cup run.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0