Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

And the UEFA player of the year is..............

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ronaldinho is European soccer player of the year

PARIS (AP) - Ronaldinho won the Golden Ball award Monday, crowning him as European player of the year.
The Brazil and FC Barcelona midfielder finished ahead of Chelsea's Frank Lampard and Liverpool's Steven Gerrard. Andriy Shevchenko of AC Milan, last year's winner, placed fifth behind Thierry Henry of Arsenal.

Ronaldinho, who won the Spanish league with Barcelona and the Confederations Cup with Brazil, is the third Brazilian to win the award. Rivaldo won it in 1999 and Ronaldo claimed the award in 1997 and 2002.

"This is a dream come true," said Ronaldinho, who won the FIFA player of the year award last year. "When I see all the names on the list, when I see my idols Ronaldo and Rivaldo, I realize this is a great honor."

Ronaldinho secured 225 points, with Lampard second with 148 points and England teammate Gerrard third with 142.

The winner is chosen by France Football magazine's annual poll of 52 journalists from around the world. This year is the 50th anniversary of the award, which was first won by England's Stanley Matthews.

Ronaldinho's trickery, speed, power and strength make him one of the most dangerous attacking players in the world. He has already drawn comparisons to Diego Maradona.

"God gives gifts to everyone," Ronaldinho said. "Some can write, some can dance. He gave me the skill to play football and I am making the most of it."

The 25-year-old joined Barcelona from Paris Saint-Germain in 2003 and has scored 33 league goals in 79 games, including nine this season. He has also scored 13 times in 19 Champions League matches for Barcelona.

When Ronaldinho arrived at PSG from Porto Alegre in 2001, his devastating skill soon became apparent.

But Ronaldinho settled into Paris lifestyle somewhat easier than with the club: he missed several training sessions and his fondness for late nights frustrated coach Luis Fernandez.

He scored 17 league goals for PSG in 55 matches and became the chief tormentor of rival Marseille. One goal against Guingamp during the 2002-03 season bore the Ronaldinho trademark.

Collecting the ball in midfield, he nudged it past one defender, accelerated past another, stepped over the ball outside the penalty area, cut inside another marker, and then buried the ball into the top corner.

"I have always loved dribbling," he said. "I learned in my house, when I used to kick the ball against the wall and took on my dog in the garden."

Called up for the national team in 1999, he did not take long to make his mark - scoring a stunning goal against Venezuela. He flicked the ball over one defender, then backheeled it over another and hit a fierce volley into the net.

He has played 62 times for Brazil and scored 27 times. He helped the team win its fifth World Cup title in 2002 in Japan.

Lampard has been in stunning form for Chelsea, helping the London club to the Premier League and Carling Cup titles last season and scoring 61 goals in 238 matches.

Gerrard inspired Liverpool's three-goal comeback against AC Milan in the Champions League final, earning the team its fifth European Cup. He scored a header and rallied his teammates with an outstanding display of tackling and passing.

© The Canadian Press, 2005
I really though Wade was going to get it this year. Then I see that #22 wasn't even nominated. There is no justice.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: And the FIFA player of the year is..............

TheRob said:
I really though Wade was going to get it this year. Then I see that #22 wasn't even nominated. There is no justice.
That's because he plays in North America!!! Don't worry he'll be up for the "FIFA player of the year", but is inelligable for the UEFA player of the year!!! :rolleyes:

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: And the FIFA player of the year is..............

Guinness said:
That's because he plays in North America!!! Don't worry he'll be up for the "FIFA player of the year", but is inelligable for the UEFA player of the year!!! :rolleyes:
I guess you & wade can celebrate in martys hot tub ,over a few hot dogs & beers
:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0