Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

73' Super beetle

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm looking into picking up a 73' Super beetle. This would be my first VW. I have heard there is a fair amount to look out for in buying one of these. Has anyone on TTP had one or know what I should be watching for? (IE) leaks, rust noises........

I have a line on one now it has zero rust that I can find, no leaks that again I can find, but the guy said it "pop's" out of reverse if it's driven to far in that gear.

Mechanics, car guys, owners or people who just live in cars are more than welcome to help.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Although you say there's no rust (I assume you mean on the body), I suggest taking a good look underneath. Check under the floor mats, and in particular check the steering hub (where the steering wheel shaft joins the front axle) -- I used to own a '71 bus and my steering hub rusted from the inside out (it only takes a little bit of moisture to get inside there).

Personally, I'd worry a little less about the engine (because parts are so widely available and cheap), and more about the condition of the frame, suspension, and come to think of it . . . ask the guy about the CV-joints: have they been fixed/replaced recently? It'll cost you about $300-400 to fix one of those, and they're a pretty common problem on old VW's.

Speaking from experience,
Keeper.

"One thing about those Germans . . . they make great cars."

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The guy who owns it is a mechanic. He was given the car buy an old lady who had her Buick or whatever fixed by this guy. She didn't need it anymore. I guess, as the story goes it was used by her two daughters to drive back and forth to collage. It's only had one owner besides the hick. He really is the "classic hick mechanic" It's in Point Roberts WA BTW.

I looked underneath and it's coated with a rubber/plastic bottom. He said there was only a small leak by the battery but that it was fixed. How do I check the steering hub Just look under the dash? As for under the floor matt what am I suppose to do push on the floor?

What is a CV joint?

Help...

ThePower
I did say those who live in cars could help I guess I have no one to blame but myself. :rolleyes: Got a job yet? Thought so... Shut it.

Slav

Mar 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb

Just take it to BCAA (or whatever it is called. They will check out the whole car for you, and also check the systems if it was in any crashes. All this for a small fee.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0