Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2015 Gold Cup

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Ledgerwood has to sit this one for yellows? That would be a bonus. I was looking at our team the other day on here somewhere and do I recall correctly that we only have 1 true striker on the roster??? Or did I read it wrong? Hard to score without strikers.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
2 Strikers on the list.
It doesn't seem like good planning, unless they have other players who can fill in in that position.
Even so, I can't see them scoring many goals, the way they play.
I wonder how long it will take for "The Suits" to start questioning the coaches.
That's if any of them care about the Men's program.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't know why but I cringed every time the camera showed the Canadian bench and Findlay was front and centre.

And the camera panned to the bench a lot :mad:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding strikers, why not call up Kuschy - just as effective as the other 2 right now and probably just as fit still :)

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't know why but I cringed every time the camera should the Canadian bench and Findlay was front and centre.

And the camera panned to the bench a lot :mad:
I wonder what the players think of him.
They can Suss out a phoney pretty quick.
I feel embarrassed for him.
What a joke.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I m pretty sure Simeon Jackson is on the roster...throw him in. Played at a decent level and has lot's of experience.

Ledgerwood looked horrible. Way too much pace on his side, same to a lesser extend on De Jong's side.

Ricketts missed a good chance...lots of energy from him but way way too angry...

I thought De Guzman helped settle the ball in the middle and tried to knock it around, but when he would pass it to a teamate the ball would just be booted up field.

Look for lots of changes in the lineup Tuesday night I bet. I still think you keep the two young guys in (Larin and Akendiale sp?). I know they have been missing but they are still two good players that need more service. Playing one striker up front does not help.

Was funny seeing Marcus Haber, who normally bullies players around, get bullied himself. That Jamacian Centre Back was a monster.

Like Regs said, still amazing that Canada can advance with a win on Tuesday night. Imagine what a win(and a goal) would do for this team.

Gurpsstillonthebandwagon:gurps:

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's even more bizarre is that if Larin scores that sitter in the first game and Rickett scores his breakaway vs Jamaica (changes the game), this lot could already be in the next round...and they've played horribly!

After watching the other games, I have to say that CONCACAF has definitely improved. The World Cup showed that with the US, Mexico, and Costa Rica competing well at the big show. Teams like Canada, Guatamala and Jamaica have stayed still (you could argue that Canada has probably gotten worse) while other countries have improved. Panama, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago have all taken leaps forward over the last few years. What have they done that has improved them so much?

Domestic league has got to be one of the answers.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I highly doubt Haitian success has anything to do with their domesitc league -- only a single player on their current roster plays in it. Also, at least 1/3 of their players are not actually born in Haiti, but rather they are born to Haitian emigrants living in France/USA.

That said, having a domestic league in Canada certainly couldn't hurt!

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sure it helping the other countries...
I've been saying for years that we need a "Domestic League".
It makes no sense to run all of these development programs and keep bragging about how successful they are, when the truth is, no-one gets to develop into a "Professional Player".
There is simply, nowhere to go. They are not ready to go to Europe, not ready for MLS.
A domestic League would give players, graduating from Youth Soccer a place to nurture and grow as a "Player" not just an academy robot.
Somewhere to actually develop and possibly be seen by MLS teams, as well as have a better chance to get a look in Europe.
Every year, there must be 20+ players leave the Whitecaps academy, where do they go?
All of that "Development" & thrown out, with nowhere to go.
Some will go to University & people will say that's development, but they would go anyway, even if there were no academies. The best will still get scholarships.

The CSA need to develop a league, before developing players.
I know it costs money.
Who will pay?
The players.
Use the money that the CSA gets and subsidize a League for 15 years, until it becomes "established".
Only then will the academy players be able to truly develop.
I think the cart is before the horse.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've been saying for years that we need a "Domestic League".
It makes no sense to run all of these development programs and keep bragging about how successful they are, when the truth is, no-one gets to develop into a "Professional Player".
There is simply, nowhere to go. They are not ready to go to Europe, not ready for MLS.
A domestic League would give players, graduating from Youth Soccer a place to nurture and grow as a "Player" not just an academy robot.
Somewhere to actually develop and possibly be seen by MLS teams, as well as have a better chance to get a look in Europe.
Every year, there must be 20+ players leave the Whitecaps academy, where do they go?
All of that "Development" & thrown out, with nowhere to go.
Some will go to University & people will say that's development, but they would go anyway, even if there were no academies. The best will still get scholarships.

The CSA need to develop a league, before developing players.
I know it costs money.
Who will pay?
The players.
Use the money that the CSA gets and subsidize a League for 15 years, until it becomes "established".
Only then will the academy players be able to truly develop.
I think the cart is before the horse.

One of most well summarized posts / arguments on this subject I've read. It's bang on. Graduating from academies or university to the local leagues (VMSL, FVSL, VISL) is not development or promotion. It's a wasteland. Sure they are good amateur leagues. Good players...but it's a wasteland of "has beens, shoulda beens, coulda beens, and wasnevergoingtogetashot beens".

I love our league, but fack me, I'd love it even more if our best youth players had a pathway. We need this pathway.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Jigsaw

Before you retired, did you notice better players coming into your program over the last couple of years as compared to say the previous 5 years?

I realise 'better' is subjective but I think you of all people would be in a position to note subtle differences between the 'generations'

Cheers,

Regs.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW, I think Canada can still go through even with a draw tonight.

If that were to happen, I think they would draw the US in the quarters... I would like to see that as the Yanks are off form right now :)

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Jigsaw

Before you retired, did you notice better players coming into your program over the last couple of years as compared to say the previous 5 years?

I realise 'better' is subjective but I think you of all people would be in a position to note subtle differences between the 'generations'

Cheers,

Regs.
No difference in the quality of players going to University.
When the CSL was up & running, there were a lot of players who went to UBC, as well as playing CSL.
I would say that the standard was far better then.
If I am not mistaken, the LAST PLAYERS to be "developed" from BC were:
Mark Watson
Carlo Corizzan
Nick Dasovic
They all played in Europe & had what I would call a "professional career".

With all of the money being spent on Player Development" now, where is the end product?
Player development has gone backwards since the Domestic League folded.
The CSL may not have been as good as the MLS, but it gave Canadians a platform to develop & be seen by scouts, who then got them to the next level.
That is the missing link.
But, I have to question the whole philosophy of the "Dev Program".
It's more of a business now, with youth players paying a fortune to play.
I've always found that the best players come from poor families, the current system seems to deny them the chance to compete at the best level provided.
The Academies also seem to have a failing grade, as we have yet to see anyone come out of them & play at the top level anywhere.
They've been going a long time now & the results have not lived up to the hype that they put out.
There are better Coaches at most clubs than we have at the big academy, yet we have to send our best players there to get better.

I would love to see a round table meeting with all parties to discuss the way forward, to grow the game.
It will never happen, as anyone with any experience, or something to offer will never be invited.
I suppose the "Powers that be" think all is going well.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I am not mistaken, the LAST PLAYERS to be "developed" from BC were:
Mark Watson
Carlo Corizzan
Nick Dasovic

That's quite the gap as those are all players from my generation :eek:

Without a domestic league, and I've shared this over the years with many, the massive missing piece I've observed is identification / scouting - players develop at different rates / stages and if you are not in 'the program' at an early age, you are hooped. This is so wrong on so many levels.

Were you ever approached and asked about players in your program over the years?

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's quite the gap as those are all players from my generation :eek:

Without a domestic league, and I've shared this over the years with many, the massive missing piece I've observed is identification / scouting - players develop at different rates / stages and if you are not in 'the program' at an early age, you are hooped. This is so wrong on so many levels.

Were you ever approached and asked about players in your program over the years?
Nope

Mr. Rempa

Jul 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting ...

Jigsaw said:
It's more of a business now, with youth players paying a fortune to play.
I've always found that the best players come from poor families, the current system seems to deny them the chance to compete at the best level provided.

Jigsaw since you are retired now ... why don't you/we start an ACADEMY for players from POOR FAMILIES ... just an idea

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
FC Barcelona opened up a youth academy at Fortius in Burnaby in case anyone wants a guaranteed pro contract for their little ones...:gurps:......for a fee of course...

Seen them putting the kids thru the paces from the gym I work out at upstairs...lots of cones and fancy uniforms and stuff...

I even saw a few turbaned kids out there...I was so proud...:)

Poor kids need not apply.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0