Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2003 College Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a Team We Had

Originally posted by No Right Peg
It is a sad day when Cap College wins a BC College Title! When was the last time Cap won?... Early 90's? (HOS, Notty & Jimmy Holiday?)

I think Cap dominated for most of the 90's, even Zenga won a title in the mid-90's. Never really heard of Langara even winning one.
I heard that Cap was given an award for most successful soccer program in the nation over the last 20 years or so, Zenga may know more.
I think NoRightPeg is still bitter about Jimmy's magic goal at Town Center in 1991 to win the title. We went on to win our 2nd National Championship.
Thanks for the mamories, Left Peg.

hos

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
At first....

I thought u were joking...re: Cap and the 90's.

But, now it actually seems as you are serious.

I know No Right peg, won back to back National Titles in 1992-1993. Then The Gomes Brother Inc. took over and won back to back National titles in 97-98 or in around there....

So, 4 NATIONAL titles in the 1990's will pretty much secure best college soccer team of the 90's. Period.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cap is better than Langara

I think that Cap has a far better program, just look at that team from 1991 that won the Nationals, I can't believe how young Notty is in that pic:) .
Great find Zenga, how about the 1990 team?

hos

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS

There was a pic of the 1990 team but it was very small.

Who is on that team??

HOS, Notty, Peche, Libby, Tiger and who else??

no right peg

May 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: What a Team We Had

Originally posted by Hands of Stone

[I think NoRightPeg is still bitter about Jimmy's magic goal at Town Center in 1991 to win the title.

Hos:
So bitter in fact that, we went on to win two straight!

I think Pavan is still caught in the net though!

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We won nationals in 1999 and 2000, but dominated in 1997 and 1998 also, only losing 3 season games in the 4 years. 97 we came third at nationals, and 1998 we choked in provincials after dominating all season and Kamloops went on to win nationals. So those four years i give to Langara over Cap, along with the 92 and 93 national champs when Zaurrini was around. Then in 2001, my bro stuck around to play another year and almost 3 peated, losing in the national final 2-1 to Ontario i believe. The other years i don't know about, but that's a good 7 years for Langara out of the past 13!

Cheers,
Gomesy

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like I could leave this one alone.

To confirm what Gomesy said, the 2001 team did go to the national final in Medecine Hat, losing 1-0 (not 2-1) to Humber College from Ontario. I don't know why I enjoy rehashing such painful memories, but I do.

It should be mentioned, on Cap's behalf anyways, that they too qualified for the 2000 nationals here in Vancouver as the #2 BC seed. Of course, they finished in 5th place, eeking out the New Brunswick representatives in the 4:30am consolation game.

onelessstar

Dec 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Completely off-topic (scold me) but, interestingly enough (?) there is no "h" in Pittsburg State University Gorillas. Who knew?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Holy shite, you're right.

Pittsburg, Kansas. Howabout that. Must be that large gorilla population in Topeka that spawned the nickname. It all makes sense now.

Appropriate changes to be made,
-Sensei.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SFU Varsity News

VARSITY NEWS:

Since our last update, the squad has had to face its share of injuries and off-field challenges in the midst of the toughest stretch of the season, and has done well to find strength in adversity.

I am very pleased to report that Clan Varsity has managed to earn the right to host the NAIA Region I tournament. The tournament will be played at SFU's Terry Fox Field on Nov. 7 & 8 (this coming weekend). The schedule:

Semi-Final #1: SFU versus Westminster, Utah 11:00 am Friday, Nov. 7

Semi-Final #2: Concordia, Oregon versus Albertson, Idaho 2:00 pm Friday, Nov. 7

Final: Winner Semi-Final #1 versus Winner Semi-Final #2 1:00 pm Saturday, Nov. 8

The Clan has finished the regular season with a record of 10-5-2, and remains the #1 ranked team in NAIA Region I. The squad is ranked #19 in the final NAIA National top 25

Some of the highlights of the final weeks of the season included: 3-2 home win over rival Western Washington University; 2-0 home win over UBC in the annual Challenge Cup; 2-0 away win over powerhouse Seattle Pacific University; 5-0 home win over Humboldt State University from California.

Good luck Elly and the rest of the team this Weekend. It would be great to see the team get to the Nationals at such a trying time up on the hill.

CJ

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
College Nationals

this may be posted somewhere else but for anyone who cares Douglas plays Champlain College (Quebec) in the bronze game tomorrow at 11 and Capilano takes on Seneca (Ontario) at 3:30 both games are at Town Center the latter being in the Stadium.....ladies final is at 1......again I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else
Cheers

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cap-Seneca 1-0

Cap won the nationals on a penalty that was questionable......Mauritsio had a power trip again and his only good call was when Jasdeep Toor kicked one of the players on the head after they went down and got red carded......this ref sucks.......aside from that he missed a blatant hand ball by Cap at the end in their box......Cap hit the post on a nice free kick in the first half........anybody else have anything to add......this is how I saw it

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
ccaa final

ref was terrible. i didn't think it was a red card, i don't think he deliberately kicked him at all, i think both of them were trying to get up, anyway, that's how i saw it...but as well no.7 for seneca(the apparent ccaa player of the year) should have been tossed when he swung at leo on the sideline, the officials seemed to see tino trip him, and it was a foul, but how did they miss the punch, which anyone who was watching the play would have seen (even though he didn't connect, the rule is still strike or attempt to strike a player)

If this no.7 from seneca was voted the player of the year, then maye we should look at who is running the ccaa, and the commitee who picks these players. from what i was told he scored 6 goals in 6.5 games in a 8 game league. sounds alright, but look at meysam from cap, 12 goals in 12 games, and the two goals in the provincial final. there is no comparison, everytime meysam gets the ball within pissing distance of the box he is dangerous. and after watching all of seneca's games i don't think no.7 had not only a decent shot, but even a shot that came close to the net

only my humble opinion

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
joely I agree that he did throw a punch which maybe wasn't caught but the other guy did kick the player's head.......the reffing all around was horrible.....I don't think the penalty was just either but what can you do........another game ruined by a ref's call.........who won the bronze game??

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cap

Congratulations to my alma mater (basketball), Cap.

But, I hate to say Cap has a bunch of primadonas. A lot of talent, but they do not seem to work to earn their superiority. This final should not have been even remotely close. From what I saw this week, John Poli is the engine of that team. He is the only one who constantly works hard in the midfield. As the game moves from the defensive to offensive side of the field, Cap only has 2 people moving; the ball carrier and Poli, the rest are always walking.

A Douglas-Cap final would have been much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0