Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Youth soccer in court

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
The very last line says it all. "

Conclusion​

[65] The petition is dismissed. If the parties cannot agree on costs, they may make arrangements to speak to the matter."

I never would have made it as a lawyer. I would have fallen asleep on the bar exam (had I ever made it that far). But, great stuff for insomniacs.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The coles notes version is that the district is phasing out metro. The stand alone metro club amalgamated with Fusion, and that combined club wanted to run teams at levels. District said fcuk off. Essentially it came down to District having set up the metro club for the express purpose of running metro teams only, versus the Metro club arguing that, as a member club, they have the same right to run teams at all levels as any other member club, even if they'd never actually done so.

Having lost that battle, their fallback was "make them let us run div 1 teams because that's new metro". that also failed.

In both cases, the Court held that the decision made by the district was within its jurisdiction, that the erasing of metro was a clear decision, and that the original decision to create the metro club for that purpose only was also clear.

Metro club tried to argue that by amalgamating with an entity not bound by district, they rid themselves of any district oversight. The Court held that the reverse was true; to the extent that the combined club wants to run teams in district governed leagues, it had, by virtue of the amalgamation, put itself under the jurisdictional purview of the district.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@mtkb, any idea how Burnaby is handling the phasing out of Metro as they are the only other district I know of with an entity who's sole purpose is to run Metro teams -- BDMS.

I heard through the grapevine something about Mountain applying to become a full fledged member of Burnaby district, but the district website doesn't appear to have been updated for 2-3 years so it's hard to get any updates.

It should be noted that Fusion never actually applied to VYSA -- they just said, "hey we merged with VFC so now we get full membership privileges. K, thx!"

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know for Div 1 this fall in Burnaby that there is no BDMS metro team at age u13.

Now that metro is gone for u13 cliff ave and wesburn both have put in a team in div 1 u13.

Clubs like southburn and New West cant put a team in div 1. Reason being they have to have a team in div 2 and div 3 to be allowed to put a team in Div 1. So even if they have a strong group and can compete they arent allowed.

Thus I imagine BDMS will phase out once the current u14 group graduates in a few years.

Div 1 is now the highest level of play in the BC COASTAL soccer league replacing metro.

Of course you still have the BCSPL which is one step higher and it's own league.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah Gurps, the elimination of metro is across all districts. The birth year age groups that had it are grandfathered, but there will be no new birth year age groups with it. So I think that's the 2008s that will be the last cohort with Metro.

My question about BDMS is how do you keep running it when you're down to 1-2 age groups (2-4 teams) in a couple years? Seems like a lot of unnecessary overhead and you'd be better off rolling those teams up into another club.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah Gurps, the elimination of metro is across all districts. The birth year age groups that had it are grandfathered, but there will be no new birth year age groups with it. So I think that's the 2008s that will be the last cohort with Metro.

My question about BDMS is how do you keep running it when you're down to 1-2 age groups (2-4 teams) in a couple years? Seems like a lot of unnecessary overhead and you'd be better off rolling those teams up into another club.
You'd think, wouldn't you?

But, then someone like me comes along, points out that BDMS was created for express purpose of kicking the Burnaby Select crew to the curb - who themselves had been the group originally created for the sole purpose of running metro soccer in Burnaby - and you start to realize that people and their fiefdoms have a lot more to do with things than the efficient and orderly outlay of overhead...

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
[64] It may well be that as the new structure and operation of youth soccer become clearer, FFCSA and VYSA will sort out a way in which they can jointly pursue their common objectives of providing opportunities for youth soccer players of varying skill levels. However, that can only occur by discussion and engagement between the parties. It is not for the Court to dictate.

Conclusion​

[65] The petition is dismissed. If the parties cannot agree on costs, they may make arrangements to speak to the matter.

“Skolrood J.”

Unimaginable that this issue would be litigated in the Supreme Court of BC. Stupid.​

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts