Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Your Man of the Match......

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even though it might be difficult in some games, let's see who TTPers think deserves Man of the Match honours and why.....

Greece vs. Portugal

Greece - #7 - Zagorakis - I would have to agree with Ballbaby here. The man was all over the field and was critical to the defensive shell which Greece set up after going up a goal.....

Portugal - #2 Paulo Ferreira - He didn't do anything wrong and made the odd run forward, which made it difficult for the Greeks. There were very few inspired performances by the Portuguese players.......

Spain vs. Russia

Spain - #5 - Puyol - he was rock solid at the back and also added to a few of the Spanish attacks. Etxeberria would be a very close second, with plenty of exciting runs down the right side.

Russia - #16 - Alenichev - he had a few darting runs in the first half and looked to be the only threat that Russia posed to a strong Spanish defense.

Croatia vs. Switzerland

Croatia - #10 Niko Kovac - there wasn't much to choose from here but he did make a few dangerous runs and really should have buried an open header in the first half. Like I said, I didn't notice many other Croatian players, who weren't diving and doing nothing.......

Switzerland - #4 Murat Yakin - a tower of strength at the back for the Swiss, especially when they went down a man in the 50th minute. He wasn't pretty but he was VERY effective and held the toothless Croatians off the score sheet.

France vs. England

France - #10 Zinedine Zidane - this was an easy one. Not only did he deliver the two goals but he always looked a danger with the ball. He is a world class midfielder.

England - #11 Frank Lampard - his work-rate was second to no one on the park and he managed to score a nice goal. Ledley King was a very close second for doing a great job on Henry. I was very surprised at how well he handled him. If you're a French fan, Team of the Match must go to Liverpool F.C. :D

Any thoughts lads with the selections?

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Captain did you watch the Greece-Portugal game? Ferreira coughed the ball up on the first goal :D . It was a beautiful pass and a nicer finish :wa:

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
My man of the match for Greece goes to the right back Seeitaridis. This guy intercepted the ball and made the give and go with Charisteas and drew the penalty on the second goal. Also he kept Ronaldo outside of him the whole second. How many other players can say they kept Ronaldo contained. Zagorakis was a rock as well though. Unsung hero for Greece during their run to Euro and yesterday is Kapsis. This guy is put in there to man mark the oppositions best threat for a goal. Yesterday he didn't let Pauletta out of his sight and during qualifying he shut down Raul and Shevchenko is Greek wins.

For Portugal I'd say Figo was their MOM. He kept trying to come forward but nobody else seemed into it. Even when down 2-0 he was still getting room but couldn't do anything on his own.

For Spain I say Puyol as well and Russia Alenichev.

For England today it was Rooney (even though he was greedy on the PK, he had Vassell wide open to his right but good thing he didn't make the pass :D ). This guy gave the France D some trouble and looked more dangerous than the overrated Owen.

For France it was Zidane. Not many people can put in a freekick at that point in the game.

Switzerland's MOM was Jorg Stiel. Even though he almost gave up a sad goal he was the reason the Croats didn't take the lead with that weird save he made in the first half before the rebound was put off the bar.

For Croatia I'd say Niko Kovac as well.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good call on the Swiss goalie, Champlain. He would have been 2nd choice for sure. I thought Rooney and Owen were ineffective as they were asked to chase balls all day in the corner. Of the two, Rooney was definitely better...

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
France vs. England

France - #10 Zinedine Zidane - this was an easy one.

Not a chance, ya ZZ scored on two dead balls, but come on, if not for Bartez this game was over way before this, if good old "lets all breath" Beckham scores on that PK, this game is over, so my call is Bartez as man o Match.

hos

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
if not for Bartez this game was over way before this, if good old "lets all breath" Beckham scores on that PK, this game is over,

Yes, and IF you had an intelligent thought, there might be evidence that your brain is working. :p

Barthez saved a penalty at a key time but it is not Man of the Second. Man of the Match, SFU grad. He had no other saves except the one that hit him on his rather large bugle. So yes, you're entitled to your selection, even if it is WAY off. ;)

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tough choice for the Italy - Denamrk match as both goalies could be men of the match and so many of the Dane players could be as well. I'll go with Rommedahl. He was impactful for most of the game on the flank.

Some trivia:
Did you know?
Renowned for his speed, Rommedahl has reportedly covered 100 metres in 10.2 seconds.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yah, I heard that somewhere, Ballbaby. That is 1/10 of a second quicker than my last time. He must be quick.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Yah, I heard that somewhere, Ballbaby. That is 1/10 of a second quicker than my last time. He must be quick.
I'm not talking about sex Captain.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought Ledley King was the best player on the park for England yesterday, especially since all the talk surrounding England (prior to the match) was how suspect the central defense would be with him there. He did a fantastic job on Henry. Lampard and Rooney are worthy nominees as well.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I though the Italian skipper Cannavaro had a solid game, but with out a doubt the two GKs were brilliant!

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Italy's MOM was Cannavaro. Yes Buffon made some saves but Cannavaro was a rock back there.

Denmark's MOM was Sorenson. That save off of Vieri's header and the diving stop on the Totti freekick were awesome.

Sweden's MOM was Larsson. Goal of the tournament so far.

Bulgaria's MOM was Martin Petrov. He made the Swedish right back look silly on a couple runs and he had a few great chances to score.

filling the net

Not Bright
Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Germany verus Dutch

The man of the match....(or moment) was Kohn putting sunscreen on during the first half of play.....it appeared he had decided that since he wasn't getting any action he might as well!

Wow that game was boring.....at least the Italy game had some good goaltending this was just a snore fest!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's Kahn, numbnuts, and it wasn't particularly funny the first time you posted it :rolleyes:

Disagree with your 'snore fest' comment as well, but that's for a different thread.

For the Dutch, Overmars was my man of the match while zzzzzzeGermans were led by Ballack.

Cheers,

~Regs.
filling the net said:
Germany verus Dutch

The man of the match....(or moment) was Kohn putting sunscreen on during the first half of play.....it appeared he had decided that since he wasn't getting any action he might as well!

Wow that game was boring.....at least the Italy game had some good goaltending this was just a snore fest!

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To be fair, that Holland-kraut tilt was the footballing equivalent of reading one of fcuking filling the net's posts. Fcuking painful. 'Kohn'? Who does he play for, fcukwit?

And for god's sake, before someone who thinks John Motson actually knows anything about football says Bastian 'Piggy' Schweinsteiger played well...... jut don't. Yes, he was lively, yes, he is young, yes, he's as handsome as Wayne Rooney and Motson, genius he is, compared the two....... old Piggy was also a liability for zzzzGermans and gave the ball away four times.

Michael Ballack was the best player on the park. Will people now be able to admit that Edgar Davids is a one-footed, rubbish, fire-brand midget? Please? Awful and if the 'boro renew Zenden's loan arrangement with Chelsea, I won't go to Europe to follow them in the UEFA Cup next season. Shite.

Ralph Wiggum

Jun 10, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Van hooooooooooydink came on in the second half and won everything up front for the dutch, stirred lots of shite up front, maybe not worthy of the whole MOM but a mention.

Ballack was great out there but they don't have a finisher that impresses, where was Klose for the last 10? Happy with a point I suppose or just a one week wonder from Japan/Korea...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0