Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WWC 2003 - Who would you play aginst Japan?

Redruth

Sep 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought Canada looked awful last night. They couldn't string two passes together.

Playing strikers (Lang and Wilkinson) as outside midfielders just doesn't work. They're used to playing against one layer not two. It's even worse when the two of them are really wingers. They like to run down the sidelines and cross the ball into space. A midfielder has to be a link. They're not doing that so Latham and especially Sinclair almost never get the ball at their feet.

It's interesting to see that even World Class coaches "fall in love" with a particular player and never see the weaknesses. Matheson looks lost in the midfield. Never in position and not big enough to win balls either on the ground or in the air. She came out of nowhere from a selection process on the basis of a strong showing against very weak competition in the summer.

How can you play kickball when your two central midfielders are 5'0" (Matheson) and 5'3" (Kiss). Granted Neil was hurt but would she have played anyways?

If they play the same way against Japan I think they'll look silly.

If I was God I would abandon the Hooper-sweeper experiment. She doesn't look comfortable back there and keeps doing things that should only be done in the 6 yard box at the other end. She's still their best forward. Let her play it.

Play Sasha Andrews in the middle of the back. That lets Hooper play Striker.

Assuming they're still going to play kickball put bigger people in the middle. Moscato (5'9"), Burtini (5'8"), and Neil (5'8").

Play 2.5 upfront. One of the front three acts as a link and has more defensive responsibilities. Creatively it should be Sinclair but I don't think she's 100% recovered from her mono. If she is fit she links otherwise use Latham

Lineup 4-3-1-2

GK Leblanc
Defenders Dennis, Nonen, Andrews, Timko
Midfield Burtini, Moscato, Neil
Forwards Hooper, Latham, Sinclair

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bronco,

I would assume some of the TTP crowd that has an interest in the Women's game.

I don't have a clue as I haven't really watched a Canada game but AM interested in what those that have watched have to say.

You should concentrate in winning more games than you lose sometime this decade and if you ever do, THEN pop off at others :D

Cheers,

~Regs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A better question actually is "Who fcuking cares who plays against Japan?"
Obviously, you do. Otherwise it would seem silly that you decided to visit this thread. Putz.

I, for one, can't comment so much as to specific players (apart fromt the big names), however they do need to address they're two major problems that led to their loss vesus ze Germans. (1) Defensive blunders by players who don't have the talent or training to play there (i.e. midfielders and forwards don't make good fullbacks); (2) Simply hoofing the ball 50 yards to your forwards may work against 20- and 30-something ranked teams, but it does sweet fanny against decent squads like Germany, U.S., China, Norway, and Japan.

I know it'll be tough to address point 1, but something needs to be done about #2 soon.

Or they'll be out before you can say "Sianara".

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On Broncos Defense

I have no interest in the WWC...
I only visited the thread out of curiousity....

"what did 'WWC' stand for???"

It wasnt until reading some of the posts, that I figured it out.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Redruth,

Welcome and your insight is excellent. I have watched parts of both games because I can't stand to watch that type of soccer. As for a line-up, it really doesn't matter because they have been told to play Meraloma's style football - hump and hope. Where would this team be without Sinclair? I'm not sure. I know they have some good players but they are completely wasted in Plunkerin's 'system'. Against Japan, it will be the same style, which I will probably turn off after giving up hope on watching a possession type of game. Do you think they have a good chance against Japan with their style, Redruth?

Captain

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Redruth,

Great points, particularly regarding Matheson in midfield: a girl in a woman's game.

The thing that gets me is there lack of discipline on defense! They just chase the ball around. Against the Germans it was laughable--and a predictable result followed.

I've got to wonder if this style is what they're being coached: get ball! kick ball! chase ball! run as fast as you can at all times! The U-19 team were doing much the same thing so maybe it's Bridge's influence.

No composure whatsoever...and you're right about Hooper: she's no sweeper.

Redruth

Sep 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada vs Japan

Bigger stronger (Canada) playing against a smaller more skilled team (Japan) that just has to tie to go through.

Will Pellerud make any changes?

Matheson would be my first choice.

It's interesting to see that chauvinism is not dead on TTP. In my view the Women have been a lot more interesting to watch than the men over the last couple of years. When was the first time that 55,000 came out to watch the Men's team play.

I was there in Edmonton when Canada played the US in the U19 golfd medal game.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Suffrage City

Chauvinism dead on TTP? Have you been to the Premium Members Multimedia Section recently?

When have 55,000 14-year old girls came out to watch any men's team play?

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree

RedRoot,

I have been watching the WWC. I also agree with the elder statesman (otherwise known as Capt Shamrock) and his comments made towards your points and the games themselves.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments espeacially regarding Matheson and Kiss. Matheson is shocking, to say the least and looks way over her head. I believe VPD's finest and best footballer, Burtini, made an impact when she came onto the pitch, even if it was to just get stuck in and spark the team.

The Hooper experiment in the backline is an awful solution replacing Andrews (due to injury). Put her up front and let her create space for Latham and Sinclair.

I would like to see Lang play. Put her anywhere so she can get space and run at the opposition with the ball. She always looks dangerous running with the ball.

so here's my picks...not that much different from yours :)

GK Leblanc
Defenders Dennis, Nonen, Andrews, Timko
Midfield Lang, Moscato, Neil
Forwards Hooper, Latham, Sinclair

Bring Burtini on as a sub in the second half....

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter,

Their style of play IS being coached but not by Bridge, it comes down from Pelleruud himself.

Funny thing is that he accepted a 2 or 3 year extension on his contract. The CSA offered it to him just for qualifying fo rthe world cup :eek: Something that the women's team should be able to do in their sleep.

Pelleruud's style does nothing but kill any talent that our country produces. It effectively removed Sinclaire and Latham from the game against Germany, these players are simply no good when they have to chase the ball (when it got to them which was very rare) they are far more effective withit at their FEET!

It annoys me that we have most of the BEST players in the world and are reduced to 12th in the world by a coach that the CSA loves.

IN 5 years time England will be one of the best teams in the world as they play (or attempt to play) a finess, posession game. In that same amount of time, if nothing is done to change the current system, Canada will most likely be 30th.

Here is a sport in which we can truly dominate (like womens hockey) and we are throwing it down the crapper.

We as a country a phenominal at stifling any hope at athletic glory.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Matheson replacement

I wonder if they've ever thought of Hooper at center-mid...she fights like hell for the ball, has pretty good creativity and can always attack from there as well.

I've actually liked Kiss up to the last game. She's been one of the few Canadians to play a bit of posession in the last couple years and she can hit a ball.

Redruth, the U-19's played the US in Edmonton on the links as well?! How'd they do?

nochauvinismjustpisstaking

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pelleruud's style does nothing but kill any talent that our country produces. It effectively removed Sinclaire and Latham from the game against Germany, these players are simply no good when they have to chase the ball (when it got to them which was very rare) they are far more effective withit at their FEET!

It annoys me that we have most of the BEST players in the world and are reduced to 12th in the world by a coach that the CSA loves.
Very well said, Bravedart.

Peter, I agree with you on Hooper's ability/style, but -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- isn't she normally a centre mid? I think that's one of the major problems at the moment: they're using her in the back in the hopes that her experience can make up for all the injuries on defence.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
abject boredom........

As an indication of unprecedented levels of boredom experienced today at work, I found myself reading some shite about a women's footballing world cup being played somewhere in the world that cares about such things on www.mytelus.com. While I am clearly delighted to learn that Canada has a side in a women's world cup and the very same side has managed to beat women's footballing luminaries such as Japan and some other country whose women play footy, whoever wrote the piece about their last fixture wants stringing up and beating to within an inch of his/her life.

Look at these pearls of literary competence.....

The Canadian defenders held their position, sweeping balls away like someone shovelling snow off the sidewalk.

As the game progressed China took control. The Chinese washed up against the Canadians like ocean waves on the beach.

Canadians in the crowd at the scenic downtown stadium had Maple Leafs painted on their faces, waved flags and blew horns that made a sound like a wounded moose.

Hell's bollocks that's fcuking worse writing than some of the shite that nonce who fancies himself as a pimp from the Fraser Valey bible-belt spews forth.

Surely (shirley?), something as fundamentally important to the state of the nation as a succesful wimmin's world cup deserves someone who can write a bit better than this shite?

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A win's a win

Shitty reporting aside, you gotta hand it to them: The World Cup semi's! And against Sweden to boot, while the two favorites kick each other around.

It wasn't pretty but they've been getting better the last couple of games. Swiatek was definitely the star of the game, she snapped up everything that came into the box. Matheson easily played her best game and was a factor in the win assisting on Hooper's goal but I wonder about a size mismatch again against Sweden--if they are stereotypical Helga's.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts