Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Women's World Cup 2007

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought I would start a thread about the Women's World Cup which starts on September 10th in China.

Canada heads into the competition ranked 9th in the world with the US first and the defending world champions Germany second. Canada finished fourth in 2003 but had a rather disappointing bronze in the Pan Am games last month (which included a 7-0 thumping by Brazil and a 2-1 loss to the US U20 team). They are in a tough pool with #4 Norway and #15 Australia and start the tourney on Wednesday Sept 12 against Norway. CBC will be showing all of Canada's games live (at ungodly early hours) as well as replaying them during prime time hours. CBC will also show all the games from the quarterfinals onwards.

So who do you think will win it all? And how do you think Canada will fare?

I don't think they'll having a problem topping the U20's recent showing. :rolleyes: But I think they'll squeak out of their pool and then lose in the quarterfinals - although I am hoping they do better especially considering SU has something like 6 national team players. ;)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada will not do well as the National Program has been on a sharp downward spiral since the last World Cup........hopefully they do well if they actually try to play football as opposed to humpball.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
hopefully they do well if they actually try to play football as opposed to humpball.
Absolutely and fully agreed! I will not stand to watch 3+ games of that kind of crap ball. They have skill, and I for one, would like to damn well see it.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
With the tournament just a week away, I wanted to offer anyone who is interested the opportunity to enter Surrey United's Women's World Cup Draw for a chance to win $750.

It's simple - just pick the winners right down to the final and the person with the most points based on the number of right picks wins the pot! I've attached a PDF of the draw and entry form. Please PM me if you are interested. The deadline for entries is the evening of Sunday, September 9th and the cost is $10 per entry.

Attachments

• Women's World Cup Draw.pdf
    77.6 KB · Views: 155

Ralph Wiggum

Jun 10, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
With the tournament just a week away, I wanted to offer anyone who is interested the opportunity to enter Surrey United's Women's World Cup Draw for a chance to win $750.

It's simple - just pick the winners right down to the final and the person with the most points based on the number of right picks wins the pot! I've attached a PDF of the draw and entry form. Please PM me if you are interested. The deadline for entries is the evening of Sunday, September 9th and the cost is $10 per entry.

Is there an over/under for shanked 35 yd crosses going in over the keeper's head(s)? :p

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to be honest.........sadly I have NO idea when the games are and have no intention of find out either. :( The 'standard' our National team sets is disgraceful to be honest, at least in terms of actual footballing. The players they have surely are more than capable of playing some good football but we don't get to see it. :(

If I remember, I'll try and catch a game......

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to be honest.........sadly I have NO idea when the games are and have no intention of find out either. :( The 'standard' our National team sets is disgraceful to be honest, at least in terms of actual footballing. The players they have surely are more than capable of playing some good football but we don't get to see it. :(

If I remember, I'll try and catch a game......

Umm...they finished 4th last go around...:eek:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada's games are being streamed LIVE on CBC as well as on the tube... I *think*

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
A national team coach actually told me the reason they play that way is that Canada does NOT have the skill to play possession football at the international level.

Even if you take that as fact - and frankly I don't - it still does not explain why that same style is being used by development teams (U20, U17, etc) as well. Seems to be we should be trying to develop better footballers.

Like I said, I don't buy it. Most of these players played in the NCAA with high profile programs, and excelled. And the NCAA is the best women's league on the planet. Further, Pellerud has had this group at his disposal for over a year now. Clearly, the program has been horribly underfunded (few international games, none in Canada, and just a bunch of scrimmages with boys teams), but in a year, I would hope a national team staff could implement a system that remotely resembled the game the way it should be played.

Unfortunately, while I hope to be proved wrong, I think Canada is going down - second round at best - and if that is the case, then I'd rather we go down trying to football with a little flair and style.

Off my soapbox now.

Ralph Wiggum

Jun 10, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
A national team coach actually told me the reason they play that way is that Canada does NOT have the skill to play possession football at the international level.

Even if you take that as fact - and frankly I don't - it still does not explain why that same style is being used by development teams (U20, U17, etc) as well. Seems to be we should be trying to develop better footballers.

Like I said, I don't buy it. Most of these players played in the NCAA with high profile programs, and excelled. And the NCAA is the best women's league on the planet. Further, Pellerud has had this group at his disposal for over a year now. Clearly, the program has been horribly underfunded (few international games, none in Canada, and just a bunch of scrimmages with boys teams), but in a year, I would hope a national team staff could implement a system that remotely resembled the game the way it should be played.

Unfortunately, while I hope to be proved wrong, I think Canada is going down - second round at best - and if that is the case, then I'd rather we go down trying to football with a little flair and style.

Off my soapbox now.

Pellerud won the WC by humping it every time with Norway (Mmmmm, humping with Norway...) and he sees it as the only way we'll have success here. Just like get super fit and defend all over the park for the men. How we have such a rich multicultural country and have to suffer though the lowest common denominator styles of football is an absolute tragedy for both programs. Get someone from a country that wins (Italy, Brazil, Germany) and let them run things properly.

:mad:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought the Americans were the best country in the world at womens football. Why don't we get a manager from down south, then we can train to play nice footy and learn how to take your top off after a goal.

"I am looking for X-trem players, that can run fast, jump high and kick hard", thats what I heard Pellarud say. Too funny, but true.

hos

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
"I am looking for X-trem players, that can run fast, jump high and kick hard", thats what I heard Pellarud say. Too funny, but true.

Evan's command of the English language isn't too strong, but that's a classic Pellerud line. I've also heard him say that the team played the punt it and run style because he had such a young team that needed to develop, but now that they have all been there for 4 years or more, he is still playing the same style. Go figure! :rolleyes:

I agree with FB that I don't think they are going to get past the second round. They are even in tough in their pool as Norway is the favourite and Australia has really built up their program lately and could upset the Canadians.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

hos

And don't forget "extreme throw ins".:D

That was funny. HOS and I made 'extreme (fill in the blank)' our motto for the entire 2001 National Championships. Such as the 'extreme drinking' we did in the hospitality suite.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Umm...they finished 4th last go around...:eek:

Yes, and the style of football was brilliant...........In 4 years, they have taken a MASSIVE drop in terms of rankings(for what they are worth) mainly because of the 'style' they play........Any girls team I coach I tell them at the start.........

"We're not going to play anything like our National team." That's not a good thing. :(

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, and the style of football was brilliant...........In 4 years, they have taken a MASSIVE drop in terms of rankings(for what they are worth) mainly because of the 'style' they play........Any girls team I coach I tell them at the start.........

"We're not going to play anything like our National team." That's not a good thing. :(

Er they went from 11th to 9th... Current Women's Rankings

Of course I cant disagree that it's bad that the national team is not on the same page as regional programs.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sometimes when you're from Langley bigger numbers look better...:D

Pellerud is a disgrace as a coach. Fire him and let Megs run the team.

I'm going back to my X-trem house league players. At least they don't play hoof and hope.

Trece

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
USA, USA, USA, 2 - North Korea 2.

It's good to see the Korean's give the Yanks a good run for their money.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts