Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Cherry still be god?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hockey Night In Canada will look vastly different to Canadian hockey fans this season after the CBC announced Monday that host Ron MacLean would not be back after 17 years with the network.

The CBC released a statement Monday afternoon saying negotiations with MacLean had ended at an impasse.

``CBC Television is disappointed that we have not been able to reach a successful contract agreement with Ron MacLean,'' the release said. ``CBC Television recognizes the significant contribution Ron has made to the success of CBC Television's Hockey Night in Canada and countless other sporting events.

``We felt that our offer was fair and respectful. Our offer recognized and rewarded Ron's contribution to CBC Sports.''

MacLean reportedly was looking for $600,000 a year in his new deal after earning $400,000 a year in his old contract.

Don Cherry, MacLean's long-time partner on Coach's Corner, signed a new deal last week reportedly worth $700,000 a year.

Aside from Hockey Night In Canada, MacLean was also a fixture on the CBC's Olympic coverage, hosting in Salt Lake City last February, as well as at the Sydney Summer Games in 2000, Atlanta Summer Games in 1996, the Winter Games in Albertville in 1992 and the Seoul Olympics in 1988.

MacLean's work has earned him four Gemini Awards as best sports broadcaster in Canada.

He began his career in his native Red Deer, Alta., before joining the CBC in in 1986. He became national host of Hockey Night In Canada in 1987, replacing Dave Hodge.
Coaches corner won't be the same. Who's going to do it now? Scott Oak? Kelly Hrudey? Cherry would eat those guys for lunch.

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From mybc.com comes a great quote....

MacLean, represented by NHL super agent Don Meehan, was reportedly looking for $600,000 a year in his new deal after earning $400,000 a year in his old contract.

"It was not a substantial raise. It was a raise," MacLean told CBC Newsworld in Calgary. "I honestly absolutely don't believe money was at the root of why it was rejected."

A 50% raise... especially on $400,000... I would tend to consider 'substantial'. Anyone care to argue?

HNIC will sure look different for a while 'til we get used to it .

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CBC

A 50% raise...
I must agree with you. I'm glad the CBC had enough huevos to put their foot down -- there's no way a tax-payer subsidised broadcasting company should be giving $200 grand raises.

And don't get me started about Cherry's salary.

The Teacher

May 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
$$$

The show will not be the same without Maclean. No one will be able to replace him, and whoever does will be continually compared to him.
How does one put a $ figure on someone? Who knows if he's worth all that money? However, if someone is willing to plunk down $1.6 mill on an average player like Jan Hlavac, then someone who has proven their themselves could be worth $600,000?
I know it's apples to oranges, but damn, i'm bitter about the situation, and Hlavac did shite for me in my pool last year.
:mad:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cherry's money is shocking

Maybe the big bucks Cherry is getting meant McLean had to get even less. They gave it all to him and don't have the budget to pay what the other guy wants. Or maybe RM overplayed his hand.

BTW, this guy actually does other sports for CBC and I think he does a pretty good job on them.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don’t think budget was the issue- we’re talking about the most popular program in Canada here that paid the NHL something like $100m for broadcast rights- but more to do with not raising the bar too high. McLean falls into the category of “broadcaster”, while Cherry is an “entertainer”. They have two separate functions, even though they work together on Coach’s Corner.

You have to acknowledge that Cherry has drawing power- even if you hate him. Ron McLean, although an excellent, polished broadcaster, doesn’t have the same drawing power. People don’t tune in to see McLean.

If they give McLean a raise to $600,000.00, what kind of a raise to they have to give Brian Williams? Or how about Peter Manstridge (SP?), who I believe is the CBC News anchor, and most watched broadcaster in Canada?

I’ll miss McLean, but hopefully CBC brings in somebody fresh. I was thinking Squire Barnes would be the perfect replacement. I’d say Don Taylor, but he’s too much of a screen hog…needs the spotlight too much.

BTW: what the hell did McLean have a sports agent for? What does Don Meehan know about the broadcast business? I’m thinking McLean may have made a huge error in judgment…Meehan probably treated this too much like a hockey negotiation.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude...

Who the fcuk r u kidding that Squire Barnes would be a good replacement? He is a fcukin moron who does a shite job on BCTV.

Mansbridge probably comands atleast 500-600, 000 a year...I think he could be even be making more.

Meehan is a sports Attorney...He is one of the best at what he does and that is getting people the big bucks. Ron Mclean deserves just as much as Don Cherry, if not more. He does ten times the shite cherry does and HNIC would not be the same ithout him.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ahhh Appy...hockey season is quickly approaching, and you will once again be proving to the masses how dumb you really are.

Meehan is a sports Attorney

My point exactly. What does, and should a sports attorney know about broadcasting? Nothing. The markets couldn't be any more different, with different driving forces.

I'm sure Mansbridge is paid well over $600K / year (you think he used Meehan as an agent? Doubtful). It is probably public info too. Maybe the Keeper would provide this utterly useless yet intriguing piece of information...

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ronny boy is going to be on the Team 1040 at 1:30 with Mckechee(sp) sould be interesting.

Dave Randorf may be a replacement. So I've heard.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude...lets get realistic. Every time you post about Hockey you think you know so much about the business aspect, how Burke should run the Canucks, how much people deserve to get paid who should be on what line and so on. Your posts are about as useless and enjoyable as taking a shite in the woods and wiping your ass with a leaf.

Myself on the other hand, only claim to be an expert at discussing the Montreal Canadiens, the best CANADIAN team in the NHL.

What I am trying to say is your a TWAT and your gauranteed another dissapointing season here in Vancouver.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Personally I hope and I think they still will, settle this and we will see Ron back with HNIC!

HNIC make a ton of money from sponsorships and advertisers and I think Ron is a pretty big part of the package. This is a bargaining situation and I think Don Cherry will be stepping up soon and making his personal feelings on this situation known and that could be the difference!

As far the amount of money that it is...............I ask everyone what you would have guessed that both Ron and Don made before this came out? I don't think what he is asking for is that out of line in comparrisions to what say J.D. makes or someone of the same stature in there sport in America working for a major network make! I mean, does anyone know what Howie Long or Terry make on CBS? I bet it is doube what Ron or even Don get.

Cheers,

John

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Appy boy

Blah, blah, fcuking blah.

Typically, the best you can do is go back to your beloved Habs, slag the Canucks, and call your tormentor either “stoopid” or a twat. The Habs are OK, for a team that plays in the East. Nice to see you’re loyal, but I’m not the one that needs to be realistic.

You’re an easy wind-up Gino.

Just listened to that Ron McLean interview…pretty insightful. It appears a lot of the stuff being printed in the media is a bit exaggerated (according to McLean). I would walk away from the table too, if my deal were first approved by the principle negotiator, only to have it countered by some lower rate that you had already moved past weeks ago. Pretty strange tactics…

Great interview.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No fcuking way! I think going in with a hired gun- from the wrong industry- killed him!

Bad move!

I'll elaborate- Mehan probably pissed someone important off with his style, and they in turn taught McLean a lesson.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HNIC needs Cherry and Miller, Yes Dennis Miller

He has one year of broadcasting under his belt, from Monday Night Football.
He has some of the wittiest and funniest lines for sports and life in general.

He would be a perfect match for Cherry on Coaches Corner.

HOSwantsMiller,DennisMiller:cool:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dennis Miller would piss Cherry off to no end...sounds like fun!

Seriously...how about Jim Van Horne? It was suggested by Fat Prat today on the TEAM, and I thought that would be brilliant!

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Van Horne?

Why not Vic Rauter then or that bird that did the U-19 womens cup? She would be incredible or amazing or both.

Christ, Peter Puck could do McLean's job.

Randorf would be a great choice but I would expect them to promote within. Russell will take over and no one will even remember what the fuss was about. Bye-bye crotch watcher.

BIG BITCH

Sep 15, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
NIPPLEITIS

I wouldn't mind seeing HNIC bring in MARTINE GUILLAIRE as long as the broadcast room has very good airconditioning like at Headline Sports.

possible typo on guillaire /whatever:wa: :wa: :wa:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts