Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps Opener - March 19th 2011

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's been no predictions yet.......so I'll start......0-0 , the game will not match all the hype, atmosphere will be great but neither team will generate much

Not even close :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was surprisingly fun to watch. The quality at times lacked, but other times it was great. For a team that isn't supposed to score this season, the Caps looked like Barca with the pin-point through balls and clinical finishing. Granted the TFC defense was brutal, but the Caps ripped them apart.
I'm definitely savouring a very successful opening match in the MLS, however I doubt they will score another 4 goals before mid to late April.

BTW, didn't the Grizzlies win their first 2 games? We all know how that season ended.

WAB on the bandwagon this week.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stadium Seating

I wish the Caps closed the permanent south end stands and brought in about 15 - 20 rows of temporary bleachers from BC place and placed them 20 yards closer - right up to the back of the south end goal. It's only the end-zone in the CFL and it wouldn't damage the turf a lot because it can easily be erected a day before and a day after the game. Obviously that would be the Southsiders intimate area.
Then they could open up the seats that are tarped off to make up for the lost seating - heck, some are even under cover.

Just a thought....

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I stood two feet away from my TV that whole game. It must have been an amazing atmosphere.

I like beating Toronto at anything so it was even sweeter their first win came against them. Harris could have had four himself.

I can't wait until April 2nd. Me and the boy at Empire. Where my Dad used to take me to watch the Caps. Might just bring a tear to my eye. :(

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
:
Not even close

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Atmosphere WAS GREAT, I got that one right:D
Caps could not have dreamt of a better opener, even the non hard core fans*will be tuning in to the next game, but are they going to be playing this wide open attacking style on the road

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was surprisingly fun to watch. The quality at times lacked, but other times it was great. For a team that isn't supposed to score this season, the Caps looked like Barca with the pin-point through balls and clinical finishing. Granted the TFC defense was brutal, but the Caps ripped them apart.
I'm definitely savouring a very successful opening match in the MLS, however I doubt they will score another 4 goals before mid to late April.

BTW, didn't the Grizzlies win their first 2 games? We all know how that season ended.

WAB on the bandwagon this week.

Let's not get carried away.......:D I watched Barcelona today and they look like Barcelona. The Whitecaps do play a very direct game but they had danger out wide which opened the backline up for some penetrating passes. Overall, it was fun to watch from an entertainment standpoint but from a football standpoint.......5/10? A couple of excellent goals though from both teams. BTW, how offside was the Whitecap striker before he passed the ball to the big Frenchy to score the 4th goal? :D

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stadium Seating

I wish the Caps closed the permanent south end stands and brought in about 15 - 20 rows of temporary bleachers from BC place and placed them 20 yards closer - right up to the back of the south end goal. It's only the end-zone in the CFL and it wouldn't damage the turf a lot because it can easily be erected a day before and a day after the game. Obviously that would be the Southsiders intimate area.
Then they could open up the seats that are tarped off to make up for the lost seating - heck, some are even under cover.

Just a thought....
20 yards closer so those same idiots can throw more junk on the field?

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
C'mon, Tuna.
Didn't they throw Ponchos in a celebratory way for the first goals of the teams history in the MLS?
If it was something else and they do it all the time, then ban those people forever.
Bring the seating in closer - it could be done.

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very impressed with #20 and 29 and 7, actually the whole fukcing team looked solid, keeper looked a bit shaky but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Looks like its gonna be a long year for toronto. That game could have been 7 or 8 - 2.

Great game to be at. Sun came out and goals were flowing.

gotta love the 5 minute extra poncho time after the first

bored

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The atmosphere was outstanding. So different than any other sport. Right from arriving at the game to the after the final whistle.

I hope it is the same throughout the season, that was a lot of fans. Anyone who wasn't a fan before should have been turned onto it last night.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
a few things...
1. How about that tackle by Jay Defcukingmerit in the 76th minute on Zavarise, the ref called a foul, sorry- not even close to a foul...but a brilliant hard as nails tackle.
2. Wes wasn't offside on the 4th goal Captain, that TFC left back had him on, and as deVos said on the broadcast Hassli ran a full 40 yards past 4 whinging TFC defenders not playing the whistle..
3. TFC are total shite... MLS&E roll on... :wa: Totally clueless going forward, horrific wide players, deRo (twat that he is) and Maicon are the only 2 on their team with any quality...
4. Rochat is the best player on the park, others played better more important roles yesterday... but Rochat just oozes class compared to the rest of the players out there as far as technical ability
5. Chiumiento ripped TFC apart, and hopefully there is more of that to come, I'm just scared he is a bit light duty for this league and will be the footballing equivalent of Sami Salo for Vancouver.

Atmosphere was brilliant..should have really been 6 or 7 - 2

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow.

What a day/experience!

I had no real idea what to expect but everything about the game couldn't have gone better.

I didn't really read up too much on the players beforehand but quickly came to appreciate several Caps - there is a lot of talent with this group, hopefully it continues to hold true.

Hassli, Chiumiento, Theibert, DeMerit, Rochat - they really stood out for me.

The atmosphere in the stadium was electric - I watched the game afterwards on TSN (PVR) and it didn't do it justice. From our section, the Southsiders were a non-factor - that's no fault of theirs though, the acoustics in the stadium just doesn't carry any sound... we were in section 207 and not once did I hear anything coming from the southside - I remember at one point thinking WTF is going on as the TFC supporters were chanting and going nuts and there wasn't a response at all (the TFC section was directly across the field from us) until later in the match when I could see WFC fans giving them the gears from below :) The one criticism I will have of the Southsiders is that the John Denver song gets really old quickly...

Were there different drum sections set-up through-out the stadium? I have no idea, but we had them set-up high in our section and it was magic... I found myself looking beside me to my wife and bouncing up and down to the beat which was something because she is not much of a fan of soccer :) It took them a bit to find a rhythm but once we scored, all bets were off and when Dunfield ran to our section after scoring I think everyone was delirious for the next 60 minutes of the game - if you look at the picture on the front page of The Province this morning, you'll see either 6'5" or Burnro with a blue camera phone snapping a picture from the side.

Lots of familiar faces I saw - everywhere I went it seemed I was running into someone I knew... just in our section was Luch, 6'5", Burnro, Ric & Randy Celebrini, Chris Franks, Farqs & Freddy Powell, and of course, wait for it... Mr. Azzi himself :)

Bring on Sporting of Kansas in 2 weeks time - I believe TA is setting up a TTP pre-gamer... it's all yours now TA!

:)

Cheers,

Regs.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The atmosphere was outstanding. So different than any other sport. Right from arriving at the game to the after the final whistle.

I hope it is the same throughout the season, that was a lot of fans. Anyone who wasn't a fan before should have been turned onto it last night.

It was a cracking atmosphere at the game yesterday. Anybody who was there will surely be spreading the word and this could instantly be the trendy thing to do this summer, which is exactly what happened in Toronto. One thing I would like to see is the entire crowd singing a song together, all 23,000 people. Yes, there were some one off songs in different sections occuring from time to time, as well as the retro "White"..."Caps" chant from side to side of Empire, not to mention a few Augie, Augie, Augie's....but it would be amazing to see the entire crowd sing a song together, other than Oh Canada. Here is my suggestion: "Oh when the Caps, go marching in, Oh when the caps go marching in...Oh Lord I want to be in that number, when the caps go marching in....and so on". It can be sung at various times during the game and it can be sung at varying speeds, with or without clapping, as they do in England. Somebody needs to organize this. :cool:

As for the game, it was definitely entertaining...lots of chances and clearly lots of goals. That's the first time I have seen Terry Dunfield play and he looked quite composed in the middle of the park. A very good passer of the ball...he seems to make good decisions. The big French lad up front has a nice touch and both of the wide players in the first half looked sharp and a little jinky. De Merit had 2 or 3 crunching tackles, one right in front of us...he is defintiely the real deal and the perfect choice for captain. BUT......

TFC is a shambles. Aaron Winter has his hands full trying to implement "total futbal" with that collection of players and egos. Realistically, Winter would have a tough time implementing his system with any MLS roster, especially over a short period of time. Maybe Winter should start by coaching some 5 and 6 year old Canadians and construct a 15 year plan to succeed. Toronto FC has been in the league for 4 years now and it looks like they still have a lot more pain to endure. It could get ugly in TO this season....check that, it could get even uglier in TO.

It was not a good idea for anyone to watch the Barcelona game before heading out to Empire or watching the MLS game on TV. We are talking about comparing the very best players in the world to a group of players that do not even play for their national teams in a 2nd rate qualifying zone, at least for the most part. The difference in quality is massive but the atmosphere and excitment at Empire did make up for it. It was great to see soooooo many people from the real soccer community at the game, people who have stayed away from the Whitecaps and 86ers in the past. The team has made an early connection with these real fans of the game in the Lower Mainland and let's hope it continues.

Well done to the Caps for a dream start...looking forward to the next home game!

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Couldn't get to the game at Empire, watched it at a local pub here in abby, there were a few true supporters and it seemed that everyone else who were just watching bbecause it was on really got into the game. Awsome game to watch, I think now that they are in the MLS more people will be interested, fingers crossed.

heanjob

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Couldn't get to the game at Empire, watched it at a local pub here in abby, there were a few true supporters and it seemed that everyone else who were just watching bbecause it was on really got into the game. Awsome game to watch, I think now that they are in the MLS more people will be interested, fingers crossed.

Was at game and I don't think tv can translate the experience at the stadium.

Been to Seattle a few times and they do a great job and it is a great atmosphere. So far so good in Vancouver! I would venture to say there are a helluva a lot more sophisticated fans in our town than most other MLS cities. The Caps know that and need to exploit it.

Full value and here's to hoping it gets Better and better.

Hj

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great way to start a season. The lineups to get in were a bit disorganized, but aside from that and having to pay $8 for a Stella, it seems like the magic might be back.

One of our players coaches at SBMC and got a block of cheap tix for us as his kids' team were the pre-game high-fivers, so Section 202 was a lot of fun with friends, family, kids, and team mates - probably the perfect way to see a game.

Harris and Hassli look to generate more offensive chances that I thought the Caps were going to be capable of - this could be quite an entertaining season.

So what are the chances of ponchos being given out if it actually does rain at a game?:D

First goal celebration for the Caps - photo credit to Daemonspawn #1

Attachments

• P1030441.jpg
    P1030441.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 90

Slug

Feb 9, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a game, what an atmosphere. If you look on page A9 of the Province, it credits me and my old man as being the first fans in the southgate. Hence, the first fans in the beer garden!!(Tear) Can't wait until April 2nd!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0