Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps Join League Uno

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
SaC'mon @Regs at least link the video from Twitter they learned to make in a 90s high school video editing class
Saved By The Bell Smiling GIF

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
C'mon @Regs at least link the video from Twitter they learned to make in a 90s high school video editing class
Man that thing was bad... even worse that it didn't fit the announcement at all. Served zero purpose.

Probably made by the same person who came up with the UBC logo.

:bronco:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok can someone explain all these leagues (premier, PCSL, League1) and where they are in relation to each other, as well as where they get players from? Ie: university, college, national, retired, done youth etc

My kid is off-season of womens college soccer, but I assume it’s the same alignment as mens, and she’s now playing premier, but her coach is taking on a PCSL team and assisting a League1 team but because I never payed attention to all the leagues and changes over the years I don’t follow where all these teams align and get their players from, and what times of the year they have their seasons.

I Dont Get It The Office GIF

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok can someone explain all these leagues (premier, PCSL, League1) and where they are in relation to each other, as well as where they get players from? Ie: university, college, national, retired, done youth etc

My kid is off-season of womens college soccer, but I assume it’s the same alignment as mens, and she’s now playing premier, but her coach is taking on a PCSL team and assisting a League1 team but because I never payed attention to all the leagues and changes over the years I don’t follow where all these teams align and get their players from, and what times of the year they have their seasons.

I Dont Get It The Office GIF

Tier 1: L1BC
Tier 2: PCSL
Tier 3: Whatever the top div MWSL offers in summer (I think it's usually selects)

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
will ferrell snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

That's what happens Yoda when you wear tight shorts your whole life!!

First of all, I wore it first.

Secondly, my kid played Metro and only metro, I never really gave a shite about the rest of the leagues, HPL included, until she started coming home recently with offers to play/tryout in said leagues, and then the questions started because none of us knew. Or cared for that matter

So who fills these Tiers?
L1BC - Uni and national players in off-season or retired?
PCSL - uni and HPL that aren’t playing anymore or anywhere?

Last edited:

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all, I wore it first.

Secondly, my kid played Metro and only metro, I never really gave a shite about the rest of the leagues, HPL included, until she started coming home recently with offers to play/tryout in said leagues, and then the questions started because none of us knew. Or cared for that matter

So who fills these Tiers?
L1BC - Uni and national players in off-season or retired?
PCSL - uni and HPL that aren’t playing anymore or anywhere?
Yes L1BC will be heavily university based. In fact 3 clubs are directly linked to local schools - UBC, TWU, TRU - and are expected to closely mirror their varsity rosters.

Officially it is a U23 league, so there might be a few "retired" players recruited as leaders to set the example for the younguns , but your daughter is the primary target for the league's players pool.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes L1BC will be heavily university based. In fact 3 clubs are directly linked to local schools - UBC, TWU, TRU - and are expected to closely mirror their varsity rosters.

Officially it is a U23 league, so there might be a few "retired" players recruited as leaders to set the example for the younguns , but your daughter is the primary target for the league's players pool.

PCSL would be where you go after L1 when you’ve crossed the U23 age?

Thanks for the clarification. @dezza

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
PCSL is... I don't know what exactly. They were once a premier level summer league, but they've been in rapid decline the last decade.

I kind of thought that the creation of L1 would be the final nail in their coffin, but they seem keen to march on. They have a full 10 team men's division for this summer, but I've heard they are in need of women's teams to make that side work.

The odd thing is that the PCSL is looking to be far more travel heavy than L1

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PCSL is... I don't know what exactly. They were once a premier level summer league, but they've been in rapid decline the last decade.

I kind of thought that the creation of L1 would be the final nail in their coffin, but they seem keen to march on. They have a full 10 team men's division for this summer, but I've heard they are in need of women's teams to make that side work.

The odd thing is that the PCSL is looking to be far more travel heavy than L1
This.

I would have thought that L1 coming into fruition would have been the nail, too.

When is the last time PCSL was really relevant? Taking early 2000s?

SoccerDaD14

Jan 22, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
L1 looks like a summer league for USports! Are they actually gonna pay players that are going to school. Who absorbs losses if they occur, publicly funded educational institutes or are there actually owners of these teams. I think they made a mistake by including all these teams that I can watch from Sept to Dec in their own leagues. Someone make it make sense........

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's very hard for me to makes a lot of sense of it at the moment, but the big issue I see is the heavy university participation. The whole idea was in the beginning to showcase the best U23 players in the province. How many will be left out now due to not being a University athlete?

Trying not to get too drawn in, as I have zero stake in the game except as a supporter of it at this point.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I compare it to our health care, young players are really going to need to advocate for themselves. Otherwise you may not get what/where you want. Contact the teams, contact player you know. Find a way to be successful. I don’t think you can just expect to be found, there are lots of people locally at this kind of level(it least at the start). Kids need to make sure they are one of them. Send a TIk tok of yourself juggling or doing trick shots. Seems to be the key.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I compare it to our health care, young players are really going to need to advocate for themselves. Otherwise you may not get what/where you want. Contact the teams, contact player you know. Find a way to be successful. I don’t think you can just expect to be found, there are lots of people locally at this kind of level(it least at the start). Kids need to make sure they are one of them. Send a TIk tok of yourself juggling or doing trick shots. Seems to be the key.

Totally.

Don't get me wrong, I want this to do well, I want BC to be back on top, we definitely have the talent base and club base here to do so. I want this to be as successful as L1O. With that said, you'd think / hope the BOD would recognize the need to ensure the best players eligible get pulled in. On the outside, the tie-ins to the Uni teams actually blocks the pathway for non-affiliated, talented players.

I could be wrong and hope I'm wrong.

I remember saying that about direction of the FVSL in the fall, though.....

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When is the last time PCSL was really relevant? Taking early 2000s?
For me, I'd say whenever they "gave up" their provincial cup spot(s) which I think was mid 90s? Even then, probably the tide was turning in the late 80's when certain clubs folded or jumped full time to the VMSL.

Basically what I'm saying is that when I left that league in 1988, it all went to shite :)

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
For me, I'd say whenever they "gave up" their provincial cup spot(s) which I think was mid 90s? Even then, probably the tide was turning in the late 80's when certain clubs folded or jumped full time to the VMSL.

Basically what I'm saying is that when I left that league in 1988, it all went to shite :)

They actually got a provincial spot back briefly in the late 2000s or early 2010s... UBC Thunderbirds had a decent run to the semifinals one year, but once they dropped their interest in participating it became a joke because most of the top PCSL teams couldn't field a team for Provincials and the last year they were awarded a spot it was something like the 5th place Kamloops team that took the spot.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0