Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whalley in the Province Cup???

If Whalley win their semi vs Langley (P), should they...

• Accept the Province Cup berth, and give the VMSL hell!

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • Decline the Province Cup berth, and leave with their pride in tact.

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let me preface this all by giving Whalley the full congratulations they deserve. This team sits atop the 1st division (even ahead of the mighty Rangers!), and seem poised to win the league and earn promotion to Premier next season. Add to their accomplishments a place in the Pakenham semi-finals, and therein lies proof of a united side with much potential.

However......

If Whalley were able to sneak out a win in their semi vs Langley(P), they would find themselves with a chance to win "precious", and most notably a Province Cup Berth! :eek:

In '94, a similarly strong Div. 1 team from Surrey United managed to find their way to the final of the Pak cup through a kind draw. Upon getting humped by SFC in the final, the wise manager of the club announced to everyone that the Div. 1 team would relinquish the Provincial berth that came with a place in the Pak final, and give it to the next in line from the premier league (I believe it was Langley that year, who had narrowly missed qualifying).

I'm curious to know the thoughts of the soccer world on this matter: If Whalley were to win vs Langley, should they give it a go in the Province Cup?.....or should they leave the table with their winnings (and pride) in tact? I mean, Lord knows the Valley is shite enough!! :rolleyes: Do we want to send a team with little or no experience to battle with the best in the VMSL??

Skipjustaskingthetoughquestions....

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll bite

Skip:
You've now lowered yourself to begging for a spot in the BCs? :p

In all due respect, I saw that SU Div. 1 side first hand and when you get hammered by the Premier League champs 7-0 in the final, the answer lies therein.
How far did Surrey FC go in the BCs that year?
Exactly.
I think that team knew what was coming down the pike and yes, probably wisely, respectfully declined.
I personally feel also, the difference between Div. 1 and premier was much different then to what it is now.

Also, should I remind everyone again, at nauseam :D, what my side's performance was like the last three years against which opposition and in turn compare it that of the rest of the Valley Premier entrants?
Call me a pompus cnut, but....

You knew how I'd react I'm sure. ;)

Fcuk that.
Whalley goes to the final of the Pak - They go to the BCs.

Division1forever

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some interesting points Skip. However, if Whalley are capable of winning "Precious" and beating three Premier teams enroute to doing so, they should take advantage of the situation and most definitely have their first crack at Provincials. This will only help them in the long road as it would seem they are destined for Premier soccer next season anyway. Playing in the Provincials will provide them with a great opportunity to recognize some of their own weaknesses. Certain players will get exposed in various areas by quality opponents and the team in general will quickly be aware of the different speed, tempo, fitness, depth and skill level they need to attain in order to survive the next step.

As a coach I would encourage them to have a go. You have nothing to lose as everybody thinks you're going to fail anyway. Treat it as a learning experience, take from it what you can and hopefully it will make you a better team next year.

Having said all that, I don't believe this is their destiny this season anyway. But eh!, stranger things have happened.

Cheers

UP THE HAMMERS!

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If they do infact make it to the final, why should they give up a spot that was right fully earned :confused: :confused: :confused: From what I have heard they are a fairly strong team and there showing in Div1 obviously shows that they are ready to take the next step into the premier level, so I believe that If they do make it then 100% take the birth in the provincials.

cascadesoccerhopingtobehealedintimeforprovincials

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Without a doubt, they should take the berth... What difference does it make anyway? They are going to be in premier next season... You cant say the team will change that much in a year.

If they beat Langley, they will have as good a shot as any other valley team in the Province Cup.

mytwobits

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Once again, not trying to be the bad guy here. Just a few curious thoughts (and memories) running through my mind that I thought I might share. Crafty, you must make note of the draw though which dulls the potency of your statement.....

Crafty Cokcney said:
if Whalley are capable of winning "Precious" and beating three Premier teams enroute to doing so, they should take advantage of the situation and most definitely have their first crack at Provincials.

They need not win "precious", but merley make it to the final. Secondly, Whalley's route thus far has been:

Round 1: Bye
Round 2: Poco (CAT)
Round 3: Aldergrove (P)

Hardly a difficult road, and certainly not "three premier teams".

Respectfully,

Skip

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
sixfyv said:
Without a doubt, they should take the berth... What difference does it make anyway? They are going to be in premier next season... You cant say the team will change that much in a year.

If they beat Langley, they will have as good a shot as any other valley team in the Province Cup.

mytwobits
Not so fast, they have to at least tie their last game to get a premier spot. If not, it may be a gift..................if we win our games and the Raiders win out as well.............they would come 3rd.
Bottom line, :rolleyes: :mad: , yes they should take the spot in the BC's. Any team that gives up a spot at the BC's is a joke!

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good luck to Whalley. Hope they win the semi's. I hope to be at the game. It's going to be a good one. If the Greek defence stops the long ball, they will win on the counter with the pace they have up front. Good luck Whalley. You have the skill to beat them. Whalley- Poco final. cheers. :wa:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not to interrupt, but I think Crafty is spot on with his post. Loads can be taken from playing one of, essentially, BC's top 8 teams. Why not take a crack at it? Especially if they're drawn on to Surrey's side. (wink) As a league though, not much can be said about who go's or not because spots are earned/won, but you would like to have the best possible teams represent you while trying to win the REAL precious.

striker12

Aug 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
WOW, some interesting points made here. We have had a fairly easy draw thus far but it must be pointed out that we wouldn't have had if GEU came out to play against Aldergrove. That's the way the cup goes, good teams get up for EVERY game :cool:

Skip....In regards to your comment about a Whalley team with little or no experience competing in the Provincials, I must dissagree. Our team has around 5 players who have played Metro Premier and 9 or so that have played Valley Premier along with IMO some of the best young guns in the Valley, (one of which scored both our goals last sunday as we were missing our other 3 strikers) so to say we have no experience is a bit of an understatement my friend.

I think our group has the pace to compete with any team and like KNVB stated, a match with a certain VMSL team would be most enjoyable :D :D

But, as also stated by Stepchild we haven't accomplished anything yet. Our goal this year was to win Div 1, The Pak was always in the back of our minds. We can easily lose our final league game against a stingy Raiders side and WILL finish third if we do so. Although it would be a three way tie for first and we'd lose on goal diff, and head to head. That along with a tough Langley team which we haven't seen yet makes for an intersting finish....

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stepchild said:
Not so fast, they have to at least tie their last game to get a premier spot. If not, it may be a gift..................if we win our games and the Raiders win out as well.............they would come 3rd.
Bottom line, :rolleyes: :mad: , yes they should take the spot in the BC's. Any team that gives up a spot at the BC's is a joke!
Would the Rangers actually take the Premier spot? If so, then ironic... they have walked away with the league in the past... and declined to step up. Now it sounds like they want to play premier, but they might not qualify.

RF... care to shed some light?

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
sixfyv said:
Would the Rangers actually take the Premier spot? If so, then ironic... they have walked away with the league in the past... and declined to step up. Now it sounds like they want to play premier, but they might not qualify.

Answer.......................NO. We are done no matter what ;) Whalley will be going to Premier.
Of Note: Ranger Garage Sale coming soon...............2 Italians, 1 Scotsman, 1 Norwegian, 1 Englishman and 2 dumb Doctors.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stepchild said:
Answer.......................NO. We are done no matter what ;) Whalley will be going to Premier.
Of Note: Ranger Garage Sale coming soon...............2 Italians, 1 Scotsman, 1 Norwegian, 1 Englishman and 2 dumb Doctors.
Then what the SAM HILL were you talking about in this post???
Stepchild said:
Not so fast, they have to at least tie their last game to get a premier spot.

Note to self... if you see a red-headed doctor when going into surgery... RUN!!! ;)

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Skip said:
Crafty, you must make note of the draw though which dulls the potency of your statement.....

They need not win "precious", but merley make it to the final. Secondly, Whalley's route thus far has been:

Round 1: Bye
Round 2: Poco (CAT)
Round 3: Aldergrove (P)

Hardly a difficult road, and certainly not "three premier teams".

Respectfully,

Skip

Skip, you're splitting hairs here. Not like you at all... :confused:

What I said was if they win the Pakenham they would of beaten three (3),... Yes three Premier teams enroute.

Count them

Aldergrove
Langley
Poco or GN.

Next up. I know they only have to make the final to qualify (Delta Metro 2002)
Been there, done that. This doesn't alter my oponion. Win or lose in the Final, they must take advantage of the spot.

"dulls the potency" love it, great line. Have you been reading Shakespeare.. :D

Cheers

UP THE HAMMERS!

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
sixfyv said:
Then what the SAM HILL were you talking about in this post???

Note to self... if you see a red-headed doctor when going into surgery... RUN!!! ;)
Listen sixfyv, it will be hard to run from me when it is infact my foot that they are surgically trying to removing. :D :bronco:
Bottom line, Whalley will be in premier.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
sixfyv said:
Now it sounds like they want to play premier, but they might not qualify.

No problemo.

No - Don't want to play premier.

However, YES, want to win the league emphatically - Who wouldn't?

And, preserevation of promtion and a premier spot for the club has always been the top of our agenda.

That, and a little bit of pride.

Enlightened? ;)

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rangerforever said:
No problemo.

No - Don't want to play premier.

However, YES, want to win the league emphatically - Who wouldn't?

And, preserevation of promtion and a premier spot for the club has always been the top of our agenda.

That, and a little bit of pride.

Enlightened? ;)
You bet... Cheers! :wa:

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hairs??.....

Crafty Cokcney said:
Skip, you're splitting hairs here. Not like you at all... :confused:

Crafty,

Just 'cause I like you mate, doesn't mean I have to agree with you all the time. ;) My response to you was made because I think my point was missed. The focus is not Whalley winning the Pak Cup, but rather them earning a Provincial berth. To achieve this, they need only beat one Premier side (if you consider Aldergrove next year's new addition to Div. 1). We all know that in the world of football, the "one-off" is always a possibility, which makes Whalley's chances at a berth all the better. I thought the possibilty of this was worthy of some discussion, and might provide food for debate. My intention was not to offend anyone......just to stir a little. :D

As for splitting hairs.....I suppose I should be concerned about taking part in such activities if I had Aves' head on my shoulders.......but thankfully, I don't. ;)

For what it's worth, I think the Langley / Whalley match should be a cracker. Best of luck to both teams.

My work is done here....... :cool:

Shakespeareonthekeyboard.......Dr.Suessonthepitch :(

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Skippy:

For what it's worth, I think the topic was well debated and well worthy of discussion.

Much like your MOTW threads, I applaud it.

What I don't applaud is this notion of 'splitting hairs' as I'm sure Aves will attest to.

Hair is a terrible thing to waste.

Over rated, but a terrible thing to waste. :D

Whalley want a cracker?

:cool:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts