Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[West Coast League] Results & Banter - September/October/November/December 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lads,

What's the scoop with the league this year? What ever happened to the much talked about merge with the VMSL? Anything?

Cheers,

~Regs.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: West Coast League 2004/2005

Well the merger is in full force this year with a CAT system in place for VMSL players O-35 going up (to their respective CAT WCOTSL team) and WCOTSL players going down.

The discipline will be handled jointly on Thursday nights at the kangaroo court. I'm not sure who did the scheduling for the WCOTSL this year.

No new VMSL teams in Premier this year (I didn't look all that closely but I don't think any new teams entered the O-35's from the VMSL). The O-40 League didn't fly (not enough interest) but they're going to try again next year.

I guess I'll post results of my team (I'm coaching the old Westside farts this year), hopefully Scottyshell will do the same for the Firemen and we'll see if we can drum up any banter from the likes of those Columbus lurkers who voiced such concern over my comments last year (that is hopefully better than some of the drivel that goes down in the FVSL Masters thread...).

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Westside 2-2 PCOV

My coaching debut was a bit of a dissapointment.

We gifted them 2 goals (1 late) to split the points. I'm curious to see how they do this year in their return to Premier. They have pretty good skills and speed but I think the league is a little stonger this year...I know we are with JC back and a couple of new signings: Brian Wilms and Mario Baff (or "the Baffer" according to Merks who played with him at SFU).

Our biggest problem is numbers, as in too many. We have 27 signed this year. I've mentioned to the guys that I am weak and can be bribed. We had a great bbq post game with salmon, halibut, sausages and hot dogs, premium beer and a bottle of high end tequilla to wash it all down.

-51 more sleeps 'til Peru!!!!!

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Peter said:
-51 more sleeps 'til Peru!!!!!

.............and then you dinka an Inca, give her a winka, come home and get rid of the stinka! :D

I know what goes on down there.

Also, make sure you come home with a full complement of organs. They are in high demand down there, especially the gallbladders, I hear. They already heard about the Westside livers? :eek:

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Hey lads,back for another kick at the cat,ball,ground,shin,arse what have you.We'll see if the ole bod can get through yet another season.
Well,it's been an interesting start to the season...first with the Valley team joining up with the Rangers (sorted out now),second,winning the Wesburn O-35 by knocking off both Valley entries..third,beating Paddlewheeler/Sapperton on the weekend by a lone goal.Hopefully it was first game rustiness as we had quite a number of chances but couldn't finish our dinner.Game could've ended in a tie but P.L. missed a penalty shot with about 5 min. left in the game.Oh well..a wins a win,on to Inter and perhaps some payback.Couple new faces on the club and an old one...yes..Moonie has come out of retirement.So..should be an interresting year.Enjoy boys...see you on the pitch!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Guys:

Merger is on a "trial basis," meaning that either side can vote to walk away from things at the end of the year if they decide that it isn't working out.

A number of teams have taken up the opportunity to go to the CAT system; all of the premier teams, about half of Div. 1, and smaller numbers through 2nd and 3rd. We lost 3 teams (Sierra, SFU Rangers, and First 15) and gained 3 new ones (Alemania, Immortals, Inter Steaua). Alemania was the only VMSL club that decided to start a new o35 team this year; Croatia Classic will wait until next year (not enough old farts yet). Not sure what happened with Peg or some of the other clubs that Willy was mentioning previously.... Regs, are you privy to any of that?

Peter - no VMSL teams to walk into the premier division. A lot of that was Willy talking about Surrey Utd. wanting into the League (a surprise to us, and according to Ballbaby, to them as well). Remains to be seen what would happen next season if somebody in that position wanted into the League - ordinarily, a new team would have to start in the 3rd Div. What do you guys think? Nice to see that Dr. Mario is able to play again - he's had a screwy back for ages. Tell him I said hi from the Brazilian team....

New stuff - PCOV have Fonseca playing for them up front; Columbus picked up Harry Pering from Sierra after they went under. Not much Vic this year; he's been kicked upstairs at BC Soccer.

Notable scores:

Last week:
Columbus 4 Lobbans 1
Sapperton 0 Firefighters 1
Miloni 2 PCOV 2
Inter 1 Celtic 0
Bulldogs 1 Lusos 0
Royals 6 PoCo Celtic 1
PAOK 4 Cliff Ave 2

This week:
Lobbans 1 Miloni 4
Celtic 0 PCOV 3
Firefighters 3 Inter 0
Columbus 2 Sapperton 1
PoCo Celtic 1 Cracovia 5
United 2 Royals 1
Bulldogs 1 PAOK 2
Cliff Ave 0 Lusos 1

beers,

stew :cool:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin

No idea what is going on with a Peg O35's VMSL/WCOTL CAT team... I doubt anything will happen there as there is already a "Peg" team in the NSCL and North Shore boys don't like any 'road trips' past Cassiar & Hastings :D

The VMSL website has absolutely no info on the merger... if it wasn't for you guys posting in here, I don't think anyone would know it was a reality.

What are the affiliations for each WCOTL Premier team as it stands right now?

Cheers,

~Regs.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

What are the affiliations for each WCOTL Premier team as it stands right now?

Mr. Daisy Stomper:

All the Premier teams are attached to their namesake VMSL Clubs. Below is a list of all the teams in the League who have decided to buy into the CAT system (apologies to anybody I've forgotten):

Premier

Club Inter
Columbus (Columbus-Clan)
Firefighters
Lobbans
Metro Ford Celtic
PCOV
Sapperton (formerly Paddlewheeler)
Westside Miloni

1st

Cliff Avenue
PAOK (Vancouver Olympics)

2nd

Meralomas

3rd

Alemania

I'm not sure why the Most Excellent Site doesn't have any information about us - they don't even have a link to us on their site. I guess it's kind of like the cousin that nobody wants to talk about....

more beers,

stew :cool:

SCP

Aug 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Peter: we also gifted you two goals and usually goals do come from mistakes

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Welcome SCP!

But you can't be serious about the difference between your goals and ours...you are right about the mistake thing though.

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

How about the Metro Ford Celtics 0- 2 start!
This is not what i expected!
This team will be their in the end, mark my words!

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Coach, I'll tell you what I think after Friday night.

Stew, if you're asking for my opinion about teams being able to get a Premier berth in their first year in the league...I would have to say that if they were good enough I wouldn't mind. Very hard to say how good a team with no track record will be though. So maybe a first division berth might be a place to start for an established club (Croatia, Peg etc.).

A team resume will have to be submitted with up to date medical charts on each player, a physical and a urine sample--to see if they've got the good stuff).

Ballbaby, I'll be getting my organs measured, counted and checked before and after (during???) just in case.

I've never been off the continent and am quite excited about the trip. We've got a busy itinerary planned with 2 teams going down for 3 games each including a game against the Peruvian O-35 champs, postgame banquets, wife swaps, a 3 day jaunt to high altitude before the big game to increase the stamina, keep-up competition at Machu Picchu before the hoards get there by train. Lots of cultural activities as well. We've got the Westside Oldtimers Lonely Hearts Club Band wprking up a few tunes to spread a little Canadian culture while we're down there.

I've got a Peruvian massage coming as well if Kerry can just close the deal down South (my brother took Bush in the bet).

Just thinca Inca and don't blinca don't sinca to the stinca let the dinca do the pinca.

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Well lads...a little payback was handed out Sunday as the score showed.What it didn't show was the fact we played with 13 bodies to their 18. Good battle though and cleanly fought. Now...I guess Columbus caved to H.P.'s demands of no less than 70 mins a game as when we received a call from him he was told NOBODY is GUARANTEED that much time. I mean hey,everybody knows he can put the ball in the net but is he a team player,will he show up for practice,does he know how to drink AND take verbal assaults...if not..don't play for us. So,on to the weekend. Sad to say I'll most likely be sitting out this Sunday as the kids take priority. Cheers boys...to a sunny weekend with good ball played throughout.

Ps: Couldn't resist..What's happen to the all mighty SU?? Aging??

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Hey Scotty!

The B C champs got beat by the lowly Rangers with 10 men big man.

Polish the Westburn Trophie and make sure you enjoy it like you have.

I hope Shuey and Andy score a bag full of goals for the team that they really want to play for!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: (they can't stop talking about that Tourni)

If we could only be like the Firemen. :)

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Coach said:
Hey Scotty!

The B C champs got beat by the lowly Rangers with 10 men big man.

Polish the Westburn Trophie and make sure you enjoy it like you have.

I hope Shuey and Andy score a bag full of goals for the team that they really want to play for!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: (they can't stop talking about that Tourni)

If we could only be like the Firemen. :)

They already did in the tourney :D Wait a minute...didn't we play down to 10 men also??? Oh yea,then you guys had a man tossed later. As for the Wesburn trophy..just got tossed on the shelf with the rest of the hardware.Cheers! ;)

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Scotty,

It sounds like Harry was a busy guy in the offseason. He emailed me his time requirements as well like he was buying a car online. Three goals in two games to start the season isn't bad though. With all that playing time it probably increases the odds of an injury wouldn't you thinca?

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Isn't that what happened to him last year? Not to say much but if a couple of guys had potted all their chances in the past two games,Harry wouldn't be the only guy with three. But that's the way of the beautiful game. Wonder who plays more Harry or Kevin?? Good luck this weekend. Cheers!

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Westside 2-1 Metro Ford

Good game on the Port Moody turf: They went up 1 midway through the 1st half on a flickon that was well-timed (I guess, because the ref didn't blow it down offside) to a breaking forward. We tied it up when Mario Baff opened up his scoring account on a hard hit ball that hit the keeper and went in the corner and Doug Johnston, who played everywhere on the night, slotted a tough angle shot low in the corner for the winner in the second half.

They had all their guns (I think, Yallop, Norman, Sudeyko, et al) and we had 1 sub (27 guys signed and we have 1 sub...go figure) so it was a good effort by the guys. Rob Merkl played well with several brave challenges on through balls.

I do think they will win a game eventually, just glad it wasn't last night.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [West Coast League] Results & Banter - September/October 2004

Westside 2-2 Columbus

Came from behind twice and were pressing for the winner to the bitter end.

John Catliff bagged both for us. We felt we should have had 3 points on the day as we took it to them for the majority of the game but they scored a couple of nice ones taking advantage of their few chances. To their credit they were missing a few key cogs and it was there for the taking for us.

Three undefeated teams still in the league and we've got the Firemen up next. Hopefully we can put it together and be the first to score on them and close the 4 point gap they've opened up.

Other scores:

Firemen (old and still unscored on) 1-0 Metro Ford (talented and still winless)
Inter 2-0 Lobbans
PCOV 4-0 Sapperton

Good luck to SU next weekend! Go get 'em Balls! Do us proud!

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [West Coast League] Results & Banter - September/October 2004

To bad about your result Pete...definetly know what's it's like to have those guys on the ropes only to have them pot atying/winning goal on a lapse or run of play.Wasn't around for the end of our game but hey 1-0 is still a win.

When did we start scheduling games on the Thanksgiving weekend?? Thought our league was idle?? Oh well,guess I won't be playing next week either.Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts