Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Predictions, Results & Banter 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd be surprised to learn it's down to just 6 spots.
Traditionally it has been:
VMSL: 6
FVSL: 5
VISL: 4
Defending Champion's League: 1

So with Inter as champions the VMSL should have 7 spots as usual? Has this changed? If anything I believe that the VMSL was lobbying to have that floating spot permanently attributed to the league given the VMSL's historical dominance in the tournament. The FVSL has only 8 teams in Premier this year, so giving them an additional spot would be ridiculous. The island performed so poorly this past season, three of four out in the first round and then the remaining team out at the next time of asking, that it would be difficult to see how they would be awarded a spot. Unless one of the other leagues has badgered their way to a spot (see PCSL circa 2009) I can't think there would be any reason to take the spot away from the VMSL.

As for a wager on the Vancouver derby, I predicted a draw, so unless you are giving me odds, I am unlikely to commit to that position ;). Presumably you will be backing Rino's in this hypothetical, leaving me to take Westside? You would have to direct message me to exchange the details...

Yes, the "rotating" champions spot has been given permanently to VISL. No idea how that got through the competitions committee as VISL teams performed terribly last season in provincial cup and you'd think their coefficient would have taken a big hit.

I'll send you a pm :)

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rino’s Tigers 4 westside 2
Westside did a excellent job of keeping there team in a defensive blocking style of play in the middle with 9 men in there half most of the game
Good clean game very few fouls

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saw both derbies this weekend. First out in Surrey Peg were hosting CCB in a game that began very evenly. Peg were likely shading the possession, but CCB looked dangerous when they got the ball going forward. CCB were very well disciplined defending the middle of the park and Peg seemed short of idea on how best to combat this. Their were plenty of whistles from Reuben in the middle of the park and that choppy flow seemed to favour CCB. I noticed no Dino on the touchline for CCB, have they parted ways already? The players definitely appeared to be coaching themselves, but they were doing a good enough job of it as this one made it to half time at 0-0 without any really clear cut chances either way. Given the disparity in the table between these two sides, I assume CCB would have been fairly content with that score line.

The second half provided a much better spectacle and came roaring to life when CCB took an unexpected lead. The Peg keeper spilled a relatively routine shot from the wing and Boris was inside the six yards to bang in the loose ball. I've seen Peg a couple of times so far this season and I did not recognize this guy as their regular keeper. Javid seemed to have a bit of a tantrum and I think he went off, though I may have had one eye on the Div. 1 game on the adjacent pitch at this point. CCB tried to defend mightily, but they were running out of steam by the hour mark. They only had two or three subs on the bench and if this is how many guys they get to "home" games (even if they were technically the visitors in this one), I can see why they have struggled so much on their travels. Rizal was suspended and Caleb Clarke was nowhere to be found on this night; surely those two would have been welcome additions to try and see this one out. As it was, CCB tried to rely on Reuben, remonstrating for free kicks and, when the equalizer went in, complaining about that as well. The CCB keeper came to punch a free kick away over top of a Peg defender, but could only get it half clear before colliding with his opponent. This left the net unguarded when the half cleared ball was fired back towards goal and it pinged off a CCB defender for an own goal. The game sparked into life at that point as the teams began to trade chances, though it seemed a fools errand for CCB to get into a track meet with Peg given their lack of fresh legs. The "visitors" did however have a great chance to retake their lead with 15 minutes left on the clock as the put a cross right through the six yard box, but agonizingly could not connect on at the back post.

Peg made them pay soon after when, after having a free kick saved and their initial follow up corner kick go through the six before taking the slightest of deflections to draw yet another corner, the ensuing service was whipped into the mixer. The second ball fell at the top of the penalty area where the Pegasus attacker slammed it home for the lead. Peg then got their insurance marker a few minutes later with about 10 or so to go of another corner kick which was headed directly in. A good effort from CCB and it was clear that they are still fighting for their season. Concerning though how quickly things unraveled and that points to somewhat of a losing mentality. They will need to sort that out if they are to avoid the trap door. Good night for Peg though as Croatia holding Rovers to a 0-0 means we have a tie atop the table.

Saturday it was the Westside derby at Point Grey between Westside FC and Rino's Tigers. The hosts got off to a great start when they took the lead inside ten minutes. A throw in deep in the Rino's end was lobed to the end line before being crossed out in front where it was neatly slipped between the keeper's legs for 1-0. It was all Rino's from that point on though and by the time they got their equalizer off a tidy finish from the top of the penalty area on the stroke of half time, it had been coming for a while. Westside had the occasional look on the counter attack, but Rino's were carrying the play and had only been kept at bay by some desperate last ditch defending and the frame of the goal.

Second half started where the first left off and Rino's soon had a deserved lead. Within ten minutes of the restart their midfielder seemingly ran through most of Westside before finishing to make it 2-1. Westside had defended decently well to this point, but that was atrocious. The game opened up a bit at this point and there always looked to be more goals in this one. Rino's were kept at bay, for the most part, by the offside flag or else they would have been out of site with the number of chances they were creating. Westside went to the bench for some fresh legs and this seemed to spark the home side. With 15 minutes to go they got an equalizer after some good play down the right side before getting the ball into the middle where they forced it home. It was looking like the Westsiders might just knick a point and that would have be harsh on Rino's on the day. Fortunately for them when the had Westside penned in with less than ten minutes to play the ball fell kindly to their centreback who was able to swing his foot through it and send a howitzer past the keeper for the winner. Rino's were awarded another goal in injury time when the keeper looked to have kept the ball out on the line, but it was ruled to have gone in. It was a little strange as the referee was right on top of the play maybe six or sever yards away from the ball on the line and was furiously waiving the goal off but then the linesman, who was farther from the action, but I perhaps had a better angle (?), signaled that the ball was in and a goal was given. With the number off offside goals, post/crossbars and other near misses though, Rino's were full value for the 4-2 full time result.

So my prediction of a draw looked on the cards for a few minutes in that one, but ultimately didn't happen. I see I got the Inter/West Van score spot on though, should have bet on that game ;)

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quite the look to the table at the halfway mark as there is a tie for first place, a tie for third place, a tie for fifth place, a tie for seventh place and even, yes a tie for ninth place. No tie for eleventh though as CCB are a full point ahead of Chile down at the bottom of the standings. It is time for the first of the reverse fixtures, but, looking at the schedule, I am set to make almost the exact same predictions as I did prior to Opening day, so has anything really changed? I'll certainly hope for fewer "upsets" and a better personal record that 1/6 this time around!

Completely Baseless Predictions for Week 12:

Croatia v CCB LFC
It was a rather underwhelming 0-0 draw to wrap up Opening Day between these two, but since then they have had decidedly different fortunes. Croatia have roared on to climb into a third place tie and look a dangerous side who fear no one in the league, especially coming off of a 0-0 draw with then top of the table Rovers last weekend. CCB have struggled since their season opening stalemate and only notched their first win of the season in Week 10 when they knocked off Richmond. Despite a good performance "away" to Pegasus last weekend, as well a general uptick in form on the whole, CCB just don't seem to have the cavalry required to put up points on a consistent basis, especially away from home. The are without a single point on their travels and this week they journey to Burnaby to take on a Croatia side that has long since overcome their early year scoring difficulties. Indeed the Croatians have one of the more potent offences in the league, though it has been kept relatively in check over the past two matches, having tallied only once. Certainly this seems like an opportunity for a breakout game, #StatsDay, and I would expect to see Croatia pocket the points relatively comfortably.

Pegasus v EDC Burnaby
Another draw on opening day saw Chile hold Pegasus in an entertaining 2-2. Chile would turn around and thump Croatia the following week and any preseason fears of a young team being in over its head appeared unfounded. However, it would seem EDC was in fact punching above its weight class with those results as, since then, they have managed only a solitary point. That draw came against CCB who were, at that time, bottom of the league, but have since then leapfrogged the Chileans and it is the Burnaby boys who find themselves now propping up the table. A poor performance in a 2-0 loss to fellow bottom half team Richmond last week has left Chile in real relegation trouble. Pegasus are resurgent having dropped only three points, via a 3-1 reversal at the hands of Croatia, since they were held in check on Opening Day with their highlight real including handing the then 100% Rovers Tigers their inaugural loss of the season in Week 10. That form has lifted the Surrey boys to the top of the table to sit along side their Newton cousins, Rovers, on 28 points at the halfway mark of the season. Unfortunately for Chile in this one, we are a long way from the unpredictability that accompanies Week 1 and the beginning of a new season. Pegasus to keep themselves in first place with a win here.

Richmond v Rino's Tigers
Perhaps the team with the most to prove through the first half of the campaign, Rino's Tigers have shown that they have learned the lessons of their previous, ill-fated foray into the VMSL Premier Division. They have come back after winning Division 1 and look like a team that belongs at this level. Indeed, they are sitting comfortably mid-table and, while not guaranteed of safety just yet, will likely be more focused on trying to sneak into the Provincial places than worried about being dragged into a relegation battle. The same, however, cannot be said for Richmond who find themselves just three points above the drop zone. A massive 2-0 victory over EDC last week has provided them some breathing room, but certainly the focus from now to the end of the season must be solely on survival. The number one concern for the boys from below sea level has to be their offense. It has been anemic at best, having scored the fewest goals in the league and, until last week's win, had only scored one goal since September. They should be a desperate team coming into this one, any points they can scrap are obviously invaluable, but particularly this week as the two relegation teams behind them, have tough away games on the schedule. If Richmond can come away with something from this fixture they will likely be able to put further distance between themselves and the trap door. I picked a draw for this one on opening day, but the young Rino's upstarts were too much for a veteran Richmond side on that occasion. Since then, the table has reflected that result in the fates of these two teams, so this time I will pick Rino's and say they do the double over Hibs.

Campo Atletico v West Van
It was the shock of the day, and likely the surprise of the season to this point; newly promoted Campo scoring the first goal of the VMSL Premier season en route to a stunning 2-1 Opening Day win over long time league heavyweights, West Van. Campo were a side many tipped to struggle, perhaps not even register a point on the season, but here they were on Week 1 announcing themselves on the scene. While the league since then has handed them a dose of reality somewhat, Campo have gone on to win two more games, against both of the sides currently in the relegation places. Those points have given the new boys a realistic chance of staying in the division, though it will surely come down to the final weeks, if not week, of the season before they will be able to exhale. So long as they are up for the mental battle, they have put in enough quality performances through 11 games to deserve the standing they currently have. West Van have bounced back since that opening day misstep, but certainly don't look their usual powerhouse selves. They own the best defensive record in the league, only seven goals against, but struggle to create offense. Of late, even that minimal offense has seemingly vanished as they have lost three in row, all by identical 1-0 scorelines. At this point it appears that they will be in a dogfight for the final two Provincial berths with Metro Ford and Rino's, as well as possibly Westside. Revenge against Campo would be a great place to start the second half of their season, because dropping six points to a newly promoted team is hardly a recipe for climbing the table and securing passage to the post season dance. Campo will be hoping that, based on recent form, a single goal will be all it takes to win this one and, indeed, I'm almost tempted to predict a draw here. West Van, though, are due to breakout and this game has got to mean just a little bit more to them after Opening Day. I'll take the North Shore boys to get back in the win column here.

Inter v Rovers Tigers
I called this one MOTW in Week 1 and I will do it again here. The first time around it did not come close to living up to its billing as Rovers trounced Inter 6-2. The "Italians" were busy preparing for Nationals at that time however, and perhaps had other priorities at the time. In contrast, Rovers were keen to prove that they were to be taken seriously as a contender this season and what better way to announce your intentions that by seeing off the defending Provincial Champions at a walking pace. Inter have got their shite together since then, at least somewhat, as they have returned from the National stage and have climbed into a third place tie, on 21 points with a pair of games in hand. If they were to win their make-ups, they would climb to 27 points and be sitting just a solitary point behind Pegasus and Rovers who occupy the top of the table. Ergo, a win in this one would put Inter on a path to overtake Rovers which would make that opening day result rather irrelevant. For their part, Rovers are currently in their worst form of the season. After beginning the season win nine straight victories, they are winless in their last two following a 2-1 defeat to Peg and a 0-0 with Croatia. Albeit, those teams are in second and third place, so it stands to reason that the games would be close, however, after the start they got off to, this qualifies as a bone fide slump for the Surrey clan. Their goal scoring has also cooled, tallying only once over the last 180 minutes which is a far cry from the blistering 35 goals they put up over their first nine matches. Let's be honest though, Rovers have more than proven that they are one of the top teams, if not the top team, in the league. Unfortunately for them football is fairly unforgiving and they will clearly need to prove it again. Once more though, what better way to announce your intentions than by seeing off the defending Provincial Champions. It is unlikely that it will be as easy as it was back in September given that Inter will have a point to prove in wanting to answer for that embarrassing scoreline, plus their guys just love big games in general. This one looks to be a cracker and might just be too close to call. The one thing that tips it for me is the fact that, while Inter is winning, they aren't exactly cruising past teams, so I'll take the league leaders to bust their slump.

Westside v Coquitlam Metro Ford
It looked an upset when Westside saw off two time defending League Champions 2-0 on opening day, however, Coquitlam's subsequent form indicated that perhaps this was more a premonition than an aberration. Metro Ford would seemingly bounce back with a win the following weekend over Richmond, but it was a false dawn, as they would go on to lose their next four in a row. A draw away to then bottom of the table CCB seemed to indicate it was time to reach for the panic button out in the Tri-Cities, but, instead, that has proven a turning point as Coquitlam have won three on the spin since then, which has seen them climb out of the relegation race and up to mid-table. Surely their chances of a "three-peat" as League Title winners have evaporated, but they must now turn their attention to the Provincial Cup places, something their early season form has cast into doubt. Everyone around the league likely still backs them to qualify for the tournament, but it is no longer the perceived sure thing that is has been in years past. This week they face the team that knocked them out of last season's Provincial Cup and has become somewhat of a bogey team for Metro Ford of late, Westside. The Vancouver boys have beat Coquitlam three times running, including that cup win, and will fancy a chance to do it once more. Westside are level with Metro Ford in the table, though Coquitlam have a game in hand to be made up from when Inter was at Nationals, but are facing a bit of an uphill battle if they wish to return to the Provincial Cup this season. They snuck in as the seventh VMSL entrant after winning a playoff over Richmond last year, but the VMSL is only being allotted sixth berths this season (a complete travesty IMO, but we can save that discussion for another space...) and the Vancouverites, at the half way point of the season, currently sit where they finished last year, tied for seventh. Coquitlam figure to be one of the teams they will have to overtake if they wish to qualify for the competition in successive seasons, so there is plenty on the line in this one. For me though, Metro Ford look to be back in form and while Westside are a decent mid-table Premier team, I think the Tri-Cities boys continue their march back to respectability with another win this week.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't know if it will make a difference but CJ is back after being off for 2 games. We will give it our best shot and the boys are pumped after being stymied by Croatias excellent goalkeeper last week. Inter has only 3 goals against since our 6-2 win so we are not taking anything lightly but super pumped to give them a good game. Should be a cracker.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Inter scored to make it 1-0. Played harder and stronger with more desire to have the ball beating us in every fifty fifty ball. Second half we called down. Tied it up with a great goal by Nick Soolsma. Kept possession and pressed for the second Arjan Grewal hammered the ball home to make it 2-1. We kept pressing and scored on a beautiful bycicle kick from CJ which was called offside. I disagreed with the call but it stood. Final 2-1 hurricanes. CJ made a difference with keeping the boys calm glad he is back.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week one of the reverse fixture was, perhaps predictably, completely unpredictable. Tigers always would have expected to retake top spot in the division eventually after being caught up by Pegasus last week, but I doubt they would have anticipated it would come at the first time of asking when they had a match with a tough Inter side while Peg took on bottom of the table Chile. That, however, is the beauty of this division, anyone can beat anyone, even last over first, on any given day. What twists and turns does this week have in store? Let's get to it...

Completely Baseless Predictions for Week 13:

Coquitlam Metro Ford v Richmond
After a 2-0 win over Westside at the weekend, it would appear to be back to regularly scheduled programming for Metro Ford. Indeed, that win was their forth in a row and has seen them climb comfortably to mid-table. The title is surely beyond all hope of being retained, but a Provincial Cup birth looks very much a possibility. They currently sit seventh and would need to be within the top six for a chance to qualify (depending on Imperial Cup results), but, were they to win their game in hand, they would leapfrog West Van into that sixth position. In fact, since they unthinkably dropped points to bottom of the table CCB during a streak that saw them begin the season 1-1-5, they have been perfect, scoring 13 goals while only conceding two. That is much more the form we are used to seeing from the Tri-Cities boys. Richmond won a monumentally important game two weeks ago to keep themselves out of the relegation zone when they beat Chile 2-0 after losing six on the bounce and only scoring a single goal over those games. Unfortunately it was back to old habits this past week as they were thoroughly outclassed by Rino's, losing 7-3, becoming the second team to allow seven goals in a game this season along with bottom of the league CCB. Frustrations also seemed to boil over as Hibs saw Cameron Stokes sent off for lashing out at a match official. Altogether very troubling signs for the boys from below sea level. They are a veteran group however, and they know that, in this division, it only takes a couple of good weeks in a row to change your fortunes, especially when you are at that end of the table. That being said, I think Richmond, who came within a playoff of qualifying for the Provincial Cup last season, must now consider it a success if they are still in the league come kick-off next September. For a team looking for anything to go right and something to build momentum off of, it is a tough week to see a resurgent Metro Ford side on the docket. Coquitlam's only win during their beleaguered start to the campaign came against Richmond and, given the current form of the two sides, you have to think Metro are the favourites to do the double over Hibs in this one.

EDC Burnaby v Croatia
It was an absolute stunner of a result for bottom of the table EDC last time out as they up ended top of the table Pegasus, in Surrey, 1-0. This result lifted them off the foot of the table following their disappointing loss to Richmond the week prior in a relegation six-pointer. It was the Chileans first win since Week Two when they played the original fixture against this week's opponents, Croatia. The world was a much brighter looking place back then for the Burnaby boys, as they had begun the season with a win and a draw. Since then though, they had picked up but a singe point before knocking off the Surrey boys this past weekend, losing eight of nine. The first time these sides met Chile were irresistible, running out 4-1 winners. This left many wondering what to expect from a Croatia side that had finished the season so strongly last year, but were less than impressive in a drab 0-0 to open the season before looking well off the pace against EDC. Since then, the Europeans have answered their critics by going 7-2-1, to climb into third place. They are one of only two teams to take points off of league leaders Rovers Tigers and boast the league's joint top scorer in David Malamura. Much has been made of Chile's presumed distaste for the cold weather, but the record does show unseasonably warm temperatures from last weekend:
upload_2017-12-1_1-15-42.png

No such luck for EDC this week however, as the forecast has it at a nippy three degrees and raining for kickoff on Friday night. So truly the tables have turned since the inaugural meeting between these two clubs and I would expect the scoreline to turn as well when they meet this time around.

CCB LFC v Club Inter
Croatia proved much more incisive than in their Opening Day meeting with CCB this time around, strolling to a 4-1 win. The loss, coupled with EDC's shock win, mean CCB now occupy the position where they have spent most of this season: bottom of the table. The Surrey boys were coming off their best stretch of performances, drawing Metro Ford, losing close to Westside away, picking up their first win of the year against Richmond and then seeing a lead slip away in a derby loss to top of the table Pegasus. This lead to thoughts that perhaps the former Pacific Utd. had turned a corner and was once more headed for safety, however, last week's result was a surely a stark reality check. With a tough stretch of games through the run in to the Winter Break, there is a very real chance that CCB could be cut adrift by the time play resumes in January. They do, though, still boast star power and game breakers who can get them a result out of nothing and, therefore, there is seemingly always hope for this group, assuming of course that they get enough bodies to turn up on game day. Also boasting star power are defending Provincial Cup Champions, Inter, who will travel to Newton on Friday to play CCB. The "Italians" saw their two game winning streak halted via a 2-1 loss to league leaders Rovers, however, their trend of scoring just a lone goal continued; making it five out of their last six games that they have only been able to breach the opposition's defense on one occasion. Milad Mehrabi is up to six goals on the season now, but the rest of his usually potent supporting cast are lacking their usual offensive flair, including his namesake, the ever pugnacious Milad Rahmati. Inter have three games this week, as they are scheduled to make up the first of their two games in hand that were rearranged during Nationals when they play Rino's Tigers on Wednesday. That game figures to be the one they will likely devote the majority of their attention to, with Tigers breathing down their necks in the table compared to the teams in the games sandwiched around it, CCB and Chile, who currently occupy the bottom two places in the standings. It will be interesting to see how Inter manage this run, because if they take CCB lightly, there just might be a sting in the tail, especially at home where the Surrey boys have earned all six of their points so far this year. In the end, I have to think that Inter will have enough in their locker to take all three points, but I would not be the least bit surprised to see another 1-0 in the offing.

Rovers Tigers v West Van
West Van was unable to avenge their Opening Day defeat to newly promoted Campo this past week, as they could only manage a 3-3 tie in the rematch. The good news for West Van is that this qualified as a regular goal bonanza for them, marking the first time they have scored three goals in a game since a 4-1 win over EDC back in September. The bad news is it means they are now without a win in any of their last four outings, having lost three in a row by identical 1-0 score lines leading into last weekend's draw. Despite their recent struggles, the former Trollers still boast the best defensive record in the division, as they have only allowed 10 goals so far this year, but they are not seeing a stellar return for that dedication to defending as they sit sixth in the table and, based on results to date, will be right on the bubble for Provincial Cup qualification. That's certainly not a statement that we have come to associate with West Van, who have been a perennial title contender and a Provincial Cup lock for many years now. This week will be a challenge against top dogs Rover's Tigers, though the first encounter between these two teams was a cagey affair that resulted in yet another 1-0 loss for West Van. Life gets potentially a bit easier for the North Shore boys after this week however, as they will play the bottom two to close out 2017 before returning to face their mid-table rivals, and fellow Provincial Cup chasing teams, in Rino's Tigers and Metro Ford. Rovers Tigers did the double over Inter last week after a come from behind 2-1 victory and that was enough to lift them back into sole possession of top spot when Pegasus surprisingly dropped points to Chile. We all know how good Rovers were the first time through the schedule, so it stands to reason that there will be more doubles to come on the season. Although, West Van will be a tough nut to crack, given their defensive prowess, and Rovers have only manages four goals over their last three games, a veritable slump by their standards, so don't rule out another low scoring cagey affair in this one. West Van might well knick a draw here, but, based on their pedigree, I will have to take Rovers to win.

Westside FC v Campo Atletico
No double over Coquitlam for Westside, who lost 2-0 to the Tri-Cities boys last Saturday, and have now lost two straight after winning back to back matches. Worse for the Vancouverites is the fact that they lost those games to Rino's and the aforementioned Metro Ford, meaning that those two teams have now pulled away from Westside in the table, leaving them in eighth place and with some work to do if they wish to reclaim their spot in the Provincial Cup. In recent seasons the Westsiders have been known for better second halves of the campaign, rattling off a ten game winning streak to earn promotion two seasons ago as well as a long undefeated stretch last year to squeeze into that Provincial Cup berth. They will need to recapture that sort of form in a hurry if the wish to avoid watching from the sidelines come April. In fact, if they were to lose again this week, they risk being dragged into a relegation battle, rather that a fight for cup positions. After an impressive 3-3 draw with West Van, Campo have moved up to 10 points and can pull level with Westside with a win on Saturday. It was the newly promoted boy's first point in a month following four straight losses and continues to show that they might just have what it takes to stick in this division after all. They will certainly fancy their chances against a Westside group that looks to be well off their best, though I am sure the home side like their odds in this one as well after knocking off Campo 2-1 back in Week 2. Looks like a toss up here, though Campo's goals against is perhaps cause for concern. They have conceded the second most in the division, 32, and tend to lose by lopsided margins- 5-2, 6-2, and 4-1 are the results in three of their four recent defeats. Westside haven't exactly been clattering the goals in to this point of the season, but it would appear that, if you can get a lead on the new boys, they tend to lose interest in defending. Campo will be very motivated however, as a win here would, in all likelihood, move them more than three points above the drop going into a match with top of the table Rovers next week. In the end, given that there is plenty to play for on both sides, I think this one will end honours even.

Rino's Tigers v Pegasus FC
MOTW here as overachieving Rino's continue their march up the table against a Pegasus side that should be very motived after a poor performance. Rino's posted their second seven goal game of the campaign last time out, beating struggling Richmond 7-3, as they look to real in first place Rovers Tigers atop the goal scoring chart. They have now scored 35 goals on the season and trail Rovers by only three in the goals for department. They have also climbed into fifth spot in the table and certainly look to be safe from an immediate return to Division 1, which is always the first goal on any newly promoted team's to do list. It's a busy week though for the Tigers as they will play teams second through fourth in the table over a six day span; beginning with Pegasus this weekend followed by Inter in midweek and Croatia next Friday. Indeed it is a tough schedule for Rino's all the way through to the Winter Break as they will then play a rematch with Inter before finishing off with what sets up as a Provincial Cup six-pointer against West Van. Rino's have plenty of bodies at their disposal, however, and have been injected with some top talent out of UBC now that the college season has concluded. It will be interesting to see how Rino's manage this run as it will certainly set up the rest of their season, one way or another. Peg are coming off a shock 1-0 defeat to bottom of the league Chile and, after battling so hard to reach the top of the table, they now find themselves, once more, chasing their Surrey neighbours, Rovers Tigers. Pegasus are the only team to have defeated the at one time seemingly invincible Rovers, but they have followed that up with a less than convincing performance over the league's other bottom team CCB, albeit they came away with the points, prior to their slip up against Chile. All in all it's tough to get a read on the Surrey boys and Rino's are flying at the moment. Earlier this year, newly promoted Rino's were no match for Pegasus whatsoever as they were swatted aside 4-1. At the moment though, the Vancouver boys are in great form, having won five of their last six and, as mentioned, they are scoring at will. Those wins have all come against lower to mid-table teams however, while the one loss was to traditional powerhouse Metro Ford. In fact, all six of Rino's wins have come against the bottom five teams in the league. This next stretch will offer them the chance to make a statement against the big boys and I think it sets up well for them. Rino's to fire a shot across the bow this week and take all three points off Peg.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
We lost 1-0 to West Van last night. All credit goes to West Van they grinded like the New Jersey Devils got to all the 50 50 balls and had more heart last night. They scored off a cross in the first ten. Just a bigger team. Their keeper made some huge saves to keep them in the game. On to Campo next week

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rino's-Pegasus certainly lived up to the Match of the Week billing. Great game.

Rino's were 4-0 up at half time and could have had more. Pegasus then fought back in second but Tigers were well deserving of their win. From what I've seen of late, if the league was to start now, with the squad Rino's have they could easily win it. Still might if others drop points big time and they win out. Two massive games coming up for them this week on Wed and Fri.

There's no doubting that the addition of the college guys has given them a massive boost. Marcello Polisi makes things tick, Connor Glennon is looking excellent, and the familiarity a lot them have from SFU and TSS Rovers is clearly seen.

Managed to capture five of the six goals and a couple of other highlights. Here's the video.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was chilly and raining Saturday and likely a day that I would have usually preferred to stay home, but I hadn't had a chance to see any of the Friday night games this week and there were no Sunday games, plus I had been out already all day so I headed over to PG for Westside/Campo. It didn't look like there would be much to report on as neither team was very convincing, but the home crew were clearly on top. They took an early lead off a cross that they forced into the net and then doubled it off a free kick to the back post that was headed back into the mixer and banged in. Campo were trying to find an avenue to goal on the counter attack but I cannot recall a real chance of any quality. 2-0 at the break.

The second half continued in the same vein with Westside coming out straight after the break an notching their third goal of the game, however it was chalked off for offside. It seemed a very perplexing decision given the ball had been cut back from a cross and the Westside striker came sliding onto it, so it was difficult to conceive how he could have been ahead of the play, but, regardless, the goal was disallowed. It honestly did not seem to matter though, the Vancouver boys were still carrying things and, if the refereeing decisions were harsh on them for their third goal, they went there way 10 minutes later when the were awarded a penalty. The penalty was struck well but hit flush off the junction where the post meets the crossbar and, after looking like they should be out of site, Campo suddenly began to believe. With 25 minutes to play they finally worked a nice passing move down the left wing and capped it off with a good finish to half the deficit. With 10 minutes they had it level when the connected with a very well struck free kick at the back post. Westside were clearly reeling now, wonder how they had let this one slip away, but there was still time on the clock and the teams both opened up and went for it. Again it looked like the home side would be the more likely of the two to come away with the point as they created a handful of near misses included one well worked play that went curling agonizingly around the wrong side of the post. Campo had chance to though, they best coming when the Westside keeper woefully misplayed a header outside the penalty area and a desperately recovering centre back had to slide in order to clear the Campo effort off the line. As the rain intensified is was almost some sort of archetypal message from the soccer gods to the Westsiders, because Campo's winner was a massive sucker punch. Looking like they were going to be happy with a draw, and who wouldn't be after coming back from 2-0 down late, their midfielder swung his foot through a ball on the half volley from just below the centre circle and it was perfect. An absolute thunderbolt that arced over the keeper and clanged off the underside of the crossbar, bounced behind the goal line and hit the roof of the net. The definition of a dream finish, unlikely he could repeat the feat if given another 1000 opportunities, and a goal worthy of winning any game in any league.

Campo surely stole the points in this one, but that result should likely propel them on to survival and great character to stick with things. On the other side of the coin, Westside look a shadow of the team that I remember seeing play against Nanaimo in the Provincial Cup last season. Certainly a difference in terms of personnel, but also a mentality seems to be lacking. I've seen them a few times now this season and in every game I would struggle to define their performance as convincing. Looks like now they will need to refocus for a relegation battle beginning this weekend against Richmond. Campo were the only team to win from the bottom half this weekend but what a huge win for West Van over Rovers to help them keep pace with Coquitlam in the Provincial race. The good news for Rovers is that their slip up did not cost them at the top of the table given that Peg also lost. With their revamped college all-star line up Rino's look a real force and it will be interesting to see if they can do a clean sweep this week and also pick up wins over Inter and Croatia.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well it's official, CCB must win this week and hope Rovers don't come away with all three points or else CCB with be mathematically unable to win the title! While that maybe some what of a piss take, fact is we are now closer to the end than the beginning and teams are running out of time to make a move up the table. Although, in a somewhat of a statistical anomaly, there appear to be no suspensions this week; with only West Van's Mason James ineligible as he serves the third of a three game ban that he was handed for his sending off against Inter. Perhaps Rino's and Inter can alter the discipline landscape ahead of the weekend as they kick things off with some mid-week action.

Completely Baseless Predictions for Week 14:

BONUS:
Inter v Rino's Tigers
The first of two meetings over nine days for these two clubs and, given that they currently sit side by side in the table, it sets up as a cracker. Rino's can leap frog the "Italians" with a win, though Inter will still have a game in hand as this is the first of two games that they need to make up from their stint representing BC at Nationals. This one could well be MOTW, but given that it falls alone on a Wednesday and was technically part of Week 3, we'll save the MOTW shout for a weekend fixture. That being said, if you would have told Rino's back then that they would be in a position to move into the top four before the Winter Break, I'm sure they would have bitten your hand off for it. As it has played out, they are full value for their league positioning and finally claimed their first major Premier scalp at the weekend when they knocked of former Provincial, VMSL and Imperial Cup Champions, Pegasus. Full of vim and vigor after an injection of top collegiate talent, Rino's now look like a force to be reckoned with and what better way to throw down a gauntlet than by defeating the defending Provincial Champions. Inter tend to get up for big games, but I am unsure how motivated they will be for a midweek tilt against the young Rino's upstarts. Certainly a loss would have them highly motivated for the impending rematch, but I am not sure that they will get too fired up for this one. Inter's talent can never be questioned however, and their team of superstars finally had the breakout game they had seemingly been edging towards; exploding with their biggest offensive output of the season in a 6-1 win over lowly CCB. I can't think that they would have had to work too hard, particularly down the stretch, in that one; so they should have good legs for Wednesday, just not sure on personnel. Overall, Rino's will be highly motivated and Inter are a wild card; on a cold midweek night I'll say both teams pocket a point and get onto the weekend.

West Van v CCB LFC
It was a huge win, and a somewhat unexpected one at that, for West Van when they beat league leaders Rovers Tigers 1-0 last time out. CCB could not get a big win, or any points at all, against Inter as they were blitzed 6-1 and likely, at some point, checked out of that one and got ready for their next opportunity to move closer to pulling off their seemingly perennial great escape. A couple of weeks ago CCB may have fancied getting a point off a struggling West Van side, who were without a win in four games, but the former Trollers are surely now playing with a skip in their step after becoming only the second team to come away with all the points against Rovers. It's the fewest goals against versus the most goals against, which really doesn't bode well for the struggling Surrey boys, especially considering that they have also scored the fewest goals in the division. Given West Van are not noted for their offensive prowess either this season, there is always the chance that CCB can knick a goal and shut things down, or perhaps even just escape with a point. However, being on the road, where they have had, literally, zero success to this point of the season, it is tough to see how they could be anything other than underdogs in this one. This is the start of an interesting period for West Van as they will play the league's two bottom teams, while the two teams immediately above them in the table, Rino's and Inter, play each other twice. Certainly an opportunity pass one, if not both, of those two, depending on their results and then West Van will have a chance to consolidate their potential gains on the other side of the VMSL's Winter Break when they play Rino's followed by the team currently chasing them in the standings, Metro Ford. After a less than ideal start to the campaign, the North Shore boys can really take control of their destiny with some good results over the next little bit. It will need to start with a win over CCB and I think that it will.

Croatia v Rino's Tigers
Here's the MOTW as to young, skilled, offensively dynamic teams duke it out under the lights, Friday night at Burnaby Lake. The first meeting between these two back in September was a "last goal wins" 6-5 barn burner that Croatia came out on the right side of and Rino's were left to rue their poor defending. Fast forward three months and the scoring has not slowed down for these two. Rino's now lead the league in scoring after overtaking Rovers with the four they put by Pegasus last weekend. That has moved them onto 39 goals for the season and they will have a chance to advance that number even farther when they play their game in hand midweek against Inter. Croatia themselves are no slouches either, as they have potted 35 goals on the season and David Malamura added another to his tally in their 5-0 win over Chile at the weekend which puts him on 12 for the season an moves him back into sole possession of the scoring lead. Indeed Croatia have done the business against the bottom teams over their last two outings, beating Chile and CCB by a combined 9-1 margin, but they must now ready themselves for a much stiffer test against an ambitious Rino's team, looking to prove they deserve to be taken seriously as a contender in this league. Croatia are on the same mission as they look to prove they are going to be a force for years to come and we may just be witnessing the kindling of what could prove to be a fierce rivalry between two well matched teams over the coming years. As for this week's match up, Rino's are in the midst of a tough schedule and while they certainly have the numbers and young legs for the challenge, the level of competition in these fixtures it top end. I think the Vancouver outfit would be well pleased to take anything from their third game in six days. Rino's certainly will be a tough test, but I think Croatia will be fresher, as well as highly motivated, and this will give them the slight edge they need to take all three points.

Pegasus v Coquitlam Metro Ford
Telling that this match no longer commands the status of Match of the Week; in recent seasons these two titans meeting would have been by far the marquee fixture of the weekend, but, in truth, neither club currently commands the verve that the younger, up and coming teams seem to posses. Both are still top quality sides, and perhaps still better than the Rino's and Croatia's of the world (though Peg certainly weren't at the weekend when Rino's saw them off 4-2), however, they do decidedly have a "past their prime" feel about them. That is not indented to be a direct slight at the quality of the players, nor a disrespect towards the programs that these clubs have built; indeed Pegasus may go on to win the league this season and Coquitlam may catch fire and finally win the Provincial Cup that has eluded them in recent years. It is just that there is a certain banality about it, an almost stale feeling. The younger, newer, shinier models are in the show room; Johnny-come-lately, the new kid in town. Again, that is not to say these clubs are beyond their greatest days by any stretch and Croatia are likely the blueprint for just how quickly you can turn a stagnant group into a fresh, hungry, ambitious team with something to prove. Case in point though, Peg have dropped two straight, to the aforementioned Rino's and EDC, when they could have vaulted to the top of the league. You can't help but feel that there is a certain "been there, done that" attitude and these guys know they will be playing games that matter in April, so perhaps it is tough to get motivated in December. Coquitlam were sleepwalking through the season for so long that now they have to be motivated or they will be watching those younger, hungry teams play in the Provincial Cup from the sidelines this spring. Metro Ford have awoken from their slumber and displayed vintage form, rattling off five straight wins to climb back to the edge of the Provincial places. It may all just be outside perception and maybe internally these teams are very much targeting the top of the table and winning trophies, but the word that comes to mind when I have seen these groups play this season is: "meh." It could all just be veteran savvy and knowing when to turn it on, though. Certainly no lack of quality however between these teams and no love lost either from the many titanic battles over the past few seasons. Peg, like just about everybody in the first half of the season, got the better of Metro Ford in the reverse fixture back in September, but Metro Ford are now desperate for the points to keep pace with the top six. Pegasus certainly won't be keen on a three game losing streak, so I have to think both teams will "care" about this one. Hard to separate these two and both have game breakers in Basso and Sahil who can win them a game from nothing. I'll call it a draw and look forward to seeing how these teams come back on the other side of the holiday break.

Richmond v Westside
Tough to fathom how these two teams were playing off for a Provincial Cup spot at the end of last season. Both have been very poor by their standards and both will now have to consider staying in the league a success at this point for their season. Richmond are in a relegation fight, just one point above the drop, and they can pull Westside right down there with them if they can manage a result this weekend. The Westsiders got sucker punched by Campo last weekend and, while they may not have deserved that fate on the day, their season has been less than inspiring. Even more bleak for the Vancouver outfit is the fact that, after this weekend, they will play five of the top six in the league. When they were relegated four seasons ago they never sat in the relegation zone until they lost their last game of the season and, though I don't think any players remain from that edition of the team, there must be an all too familiar feeling seeping into their camp. Richmond themselves are no strangers to the drop and perhaps this is all just a piece of a bigger picture. It looks like long time Premier stalwarts Columbus and NorVan are in the drivers seats to return to the division next season and it might just be one time big names Westside and Hibs that make way for them again. One can only hypothesize that the cycle may yet repeat itself the following season. I'll save going down the rabbit hole of what that says about the league and the state of amateur soccer in this Province as whole, along with the various rumours of top teams funneling cash to players in order to attract talent, leaving teams that don't live in that world to remain frozen out thus creating a playing field that is no where close to level, for another space. For now lets look at this survival clash and, honestly, neither team looks likely to win it. Both coming off close losses, but both just well off the pace overall. Richmond kickstarted their season with a convincing 3-0 win over Westside back in September, though, in truth, there was little "convincing" about either team's performance on that day. Who will be more desperate in this one? I'll lean towards Richmond being the more veteran group as well as having done the business when they were in a similar situation against Chile a couple of weeks back.

Inter v EDC Burnaby
Fixture congestion now threatens Inter, but they will have the advantage of extra rest days compared to their midweek opponents Rino's. After playing CCB and enjoying a rare goal-fest in a 6-1 victory on Friday, the "Italians" face a tough task against exuberant Rino's Tigers in midweek. Rino's played Saturday last weekend, however, and will have to play again on Friday as opposed to Inter who will have until Saturday before they face second bottom EDC. So a chance for Inter to have perhaps just slightly greater roster flexibility. Things are very tight at the top of the table among the Provincial cup berths and, with a rematch against Rino's on tap for next weekend, dropping points to beleaguered Chile is hardly an outcome Inter can abide. They would do well to respect the Chileans given they are playing desperate football as they fight for their Premier lives. The South Americans proved that they can sting even the best in the league overturning Pegasus 1-0 two weeks ago when the Surrey boys sat perched atop the table and Chile were rooted to the foot of it. Unfortunately for EDC it was back to regularly scheduled programming last week when Croatia breezed past them 5-0. It's a tough stretch of games on the horizon with West Van next before first place Rovers Tigers on the other side of the Winter Break. After that it's a monumental relegation six-pointer against CCB and we shall see if the Burnaby boys can carry any sort of momentum into that one. As for this weekend, Inter are clear favourites here, even with the busy week.

Campo Atletico v Rovers Tigers
What an interesting paradox perspective can be. Campo were 25 minutes and a goal post away from a loss that would have seen them separated from the top eight by six points and right in the midst of a relegation battle, only two points above the drop back to Division 1. Instead, they come away with three points in a 3-2 win over Westside and now sit level in the table with the same record as the Vancouver boys. The difference is, while it feels like the sky my be falling for the Westsiders, the mood around the Campo camp has to be one of hope and belief that they may well have enough to stay in this division. While they could use some more of the divine intervention that they were bestowed against Westside this week against league leaders Rovers Tigers, they have a very favourable schedule coming up. They play struggling Richmond next weekend and then, after the break, bottom of the table CCB. Six points from those games and by the time another opportunity to pick up points against relegation threatened Chile on January 20 rolls around, it may be almost academic for Campo. Yes that is supposing quite a few "what-ifs", but it is hardly outside the realm of possibility. Rovers Tigers, on the other hand, are busy trying to steady the ship after easily the rockiest stretch of their season. After looking immortal for the first nine games of the season, Rovers have looked highly fallible lately, with only one win in the last month, picking up a mere four points over their previous four matches. Fortunately for the Surrey boys and their title hopes, no one has been able to take advantage of their speed wobble and supplant them atop the table. Their Newton neighbours, Pegasus, pulled level with them briefly, but have since had their own struggles. However, the rest of the field has closed the gap and the margin for error at the top has all but disappeared. If Inter win both their games in hand, the first of which is this Wednesday against Rino's, they would sit just a lone point behind Rovers and Peg remain only three back as it is. Certainly, failing to come away with maximum points against bottom half Campo would throw the door wide open to all manner of teams, so it is important that Rovers stamp their authority on this game. It won't be easy given that Campo will be buoyed by their comeback last weekend and were only narrowly beaten, 3-2, when these teams met for the first time. Rovers are of course favourites here, but the will need to raise their performance above their recent standard to ensure we are not discussing the possibility of new league leaders next week.

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
1-1 between Inter and Rino's Tigers.

Milad Mehrabi opened scoring for Inter about five minutes in, then they did very little to threaten the Rino's goal after that. Tigers made all the running and had a few half chances, but just couldn't get what has been a recently potent attack going on a freezing cold and foggy night.

Second half was much the same, as the fog came down pretty badly. Lino said he felt game was close to getting called off as he couldn't fully see to other side of pitch.

Rino's hit the bar then finally levelled a minute later (with just over ten minutes remaining). No idea who scored it as it was through the fog.

Rino's felt like the only team that were going to go and win it, but they couldn't and a draw probably not great for either team in term of championship hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0