Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Masters Solution

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Because the current setup is shitty and both leagues have been trending in the wrong direction in terms of the number of competitive teams.

At this rate, you will have 4 teams who can play at this level by 2018

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bang on, Regs.

That is exactly the issue...and in the FVSL MP division, I'm just speculating from what I know from talking w/ some guys, but I bet there are two, maybe three teams in MP where the majority of the guys feel they are playing in the wrong division, that they should be playing down one in M1. And if that is anywhere near accurate, that means you have 4 true MP teams. It's not that the players aren't up to the task in terms of their abilities, it's just that soccer has moved down the priority pecking order...and to stay competitive in MP, you really need to keep training as a high priority.

I see an 8-10 year Lower Mainland MP division as long terms sustainable. In some years it may drop to 8, and some it may be that they could even handle more than 10, all depending on the quality of guys graduating to that age bracket on a yearly basis...but right now, at 15 total, doesn't appear to be sustainable at all.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
to all @Dude points, the odd thing is in the FVSL we have been asking for the past 4+ years to drop in a 040's division and think about maybe a O30's for MP (or keep it O35's) but when it comes time, every single year like clockwork at the master meeting... crickets. Everyone at the end of the day is still stubborn and would rather play, for a lack of better word, a "competitive" open Masters ( M1, M2 ) than give in to being a O40's, but in the same breath... gawd forbid you get asked to play MP.

It does your head in, seriously...

Bottom line, we'll adjust the divisions to anything the members want when it comes right down to it in Masters, but "joining forces" is a serious long shot on so many levels.

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
to all @Dude points, the odd thing is in the FVSL we have been asking for the past 4+ years to drop in a 040's division and think about maybe a O30's for MP (or keep it O35's) but when it comes time, every single year like clockwork at the master meeting... crickets. Everyone at the end of the day is still stubborn and would rather play, for a lack of better word, a "competitive" open Masters ( M1, M2 ) than give in to being a O40's, but in the same breath... gawd forbid you get asked to play MP.

It does your head in, seriously...

Bottom line, we'll adjust the divisions to anything the members want when it comes right down to it in Masters, but "joining forces" is a serious long shot on so many levels.

Yeah, totally get it.

We are old, but we want to play like we are young. Me, ZERO interest in over 40s, even though I'm 42 next month. I want to play in a reral league with no limits on tackles as long as I can. And that's the issue. We are all trying to hang on too long.

The merger thing is a good idea, even a smart idea...but an insurmountable task.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, totally get it. I want to play in a reral league with no limits on tackles as long as I can. And that's the issue. We are all trying to hang on too long.

Age, not the game... full rules, standings, tackles, broken hips etc. Just have to be home for the early bird dinner special and in bed by 9:30pm

Also, a 'merger' would potentially blow up any sort of moot old man Provincial Cup @cerebral smallsy could win too.

Last edited:

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
O40s doesn't mean you have to change any rules. For us aging folks, it just means I am not tracking down up to three 32 year olds while I am 50. The hard fought for VMSL O40 league is now very competitive and after a few years has grown to where there is a Premier and Div 1. Lots of teams, good quality for the most part. If anything, we now need an O50 league. And, I suppose the proof of this is the Masters B cup over the last 4 years - dominated by the O40 league (Div 2 and Div 3 O35s are also in on this).

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Masters Prem seems fairly competitive with the top 4 teams within touching distance of one another and the next three teams close in points. I'm not sure how poor Falconetti's is but their record is terrible so....
Promote Van Utd, Croatia(highest scoring team in M1). Then have a playoff between Shaheen and Falconetti's, the winner in Prem the next season.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would post a funny Youtube video about FVSL and VMSL playing eachother but then Regs would probably delete this thread.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes because I have such a shitty track record of deleting threads on TTP.

How about posting why this reminds you of the open debacle attempt for a Super League?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0