Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Masters Premier 2018-2019 Results, banter and predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
https://vmslsoccer.com/Rules

15.3 There will be 3 Over 35 Divisions: Premier Division, Division 1, Division 2, and 2 Over 45s Divisions, Premier Division and Division 1. The following promotion/relegation system will be in effect for both Over 35 Divisions and Over 45 Divisions: the two bottom teams from the Premier Division will be relegated to Division 1, while the two top teams from Division 1 will be promoted to the Premier Division. In Over 35 Divisions, the two bottom teams from Division 1 will be relegated to Division 2 and the two top teams from Division 2 will be promoted to Division 1.

I think you are disgracing your race again with your math skills. Your proposal makes 11 teams.

Ffs. Is it Monday or what?!?
Screenshot_20190128-120500_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whoops. You're right, MF will need 3pts. Asians are supposed to be good at math. Lol

@dezza, do you know how many teams are supposed to be coming up?

For me, I like a 10 team prem. I think the 1st placed div1 team should get automatic promotion. Second place div1 team should play VUFC in a playoff for the other spot. Just my opinion.

....and by that, you mean a playoff with Croatia ;)

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just three games this week. Metro Ford, Columbus, (both have clinched BCs) and VUFC (relegated unless another rabbit out of the hat weird VMSL thing happens for them this year) dont play and Romania has a cup knockout game against the Div 1 Flying Horses. All games go Friday night. Predictions:

PCOV vs Westside. PCOV has had a poor year so far by their standards, and currently sit in 7th with two games left. Last year, they pulled in some guys late and made a bit of a run to salvage things. They actually sit in a bit of a better spot, but do appear a year older. Westside have had sort of their usual 4th ish place finish type year, but are always a force at the end. I will say PCOV 2 Westside 2. Which gives Dancin Bear a chance to yell at me. Again.

Croatia vs EDC Inter Chile. Croatia has had by their standards the worst year since they were grandfathered into this division a few years back. They are officially now to be relegated (save for the VUFC miracle asterisk that seems to happen each year). Even the Friday night at the dreaded dirty stinkin filthy rotten Trillium against mittens EDC I dont think can save them. EDC 2 Croatia 0.

Norvan vs West Van. In the second leg of the home and home North Shore Derby 8th place Norvan play hosts to 3rd place West Van in the late game. Norvan have avoided relegation (save for the miracle VUFC asterisk where there is a chance that VUFC in a late back room deal could replace anyone in Premier next year) in their first year up. Norvan will be up for this game, but the fact that their Premier team plays that night does not help their cause. A similar result as last week should be in the cards. West Van 4 Norvan 1.

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just three games this week. Metro Ford, Columbus, (both have clinched BCs) and VUFC (relegated unless another rabbit out of the hat weird VMSL thing happens for them this year) dont play and Romania has a cup knockout game against the Div 1 Flying Horses. All games go Friday night. Predictions:

PCOV vs Westside. PCOV has had a poor year so far by their standards, and currently sit in 7th with two games left. Last year, they pulled in some guys late and made a bit of a run to salvage things. They actually sit in a bit of a better spot, but do appear a year older. Westside have had sort of their usual 4th ish place finish type year, but are always a force at the end. I will say PCOV 2 Westside 2. Which gives Dancin Bear a chance to yell at me. Again.

Croatia vs EDC Inter Chile. Croatia has had by their standards the worst year since they were grandfathered into this division a few years back. They are officially now to be relegated (save for the VUFC miracle asterisk that seems to happen each year). Even the Friday night at the dreaded dirty stinkin filthy rotten Trillium against mittens EDC I dont think can save them. EDC 2 Croatia 0.

Norvan vs West Van. In the second leg of the home and home North Shore Derby 8th place Norvan play hosts to 3rd place West Van in the late game. Norvan have avoided relegation (save for the miracle VUFC asterisk where there is a chance that VUFC in a late back room deal could replace anyone in Premier next year) in their first year up. Norvan will be up for this game, but the fact that their Premier team plays that night does not help their cause. A similar result as last week should be in the cards. West Van 4 Norvan 1.

Hahaha. I can assure you I won’t yell.....much the same as last time. I may give you some pointers on your grammar though :)

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Haha! Mate, if that were the case, Rangers at Point Grey wouldn’t have made it past the first season!

VUFC never used the change rooms pre-game at Point Grey. We'd suit up and prepare in the pissing rain. However it was used after games for beers. #priorities

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
West Van 4 Norvan 1. Game got moved to Windsor, huge field. WV gave up a goal after swarming the opponent at ten mins then got 4 unanswered.

Other games saw PCOV shock Westside 3-1. Westside's campaign is over, they sit in 4th on 25 pints. EDC squeaked by Croatia 3-2 so they are three back of Westside at 22 points with three games left, albeit against all tough teams (top 3); it is possible they could tie Westside, but that's a big maybe. PCOV moves onto 22 points as well with one game left for them. so they could tie. It is possible that there will be a two or even three-way tie for 4th, which is a big deal as VMSL gets just 5 spots in the BCs with the new dumb 12 team BC tournament. There is a good chance one of those three teams will not qualify.

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
West Van 4 Norvan 1. Game got moved to Windsor, huge field. WV gave up a goal after swarming the opponent at ten mins then got 4 unanswered.

Other games saw PCOV shock Westside 3-1. Westside's campaign is over, they sit in 4th on 25 pints. EDC squeaked by Croatia 3-2 so they are three back of Westside at 22 points with three games left, albeit against all tough teams (top 3); it is possible they could tie Westside, but that's a big maybe. PCOV moves onto 22 points as well with one game left for them. so they could tie. It is possible that there will be a two or even three-way tie for 4th, which is a big deal as VMSL gets just 5 spots in the BCs with the new dumb 12 team BC tournament. There is a good chance one of those three teams will not qualify.

The way we played in the 2nd half, you’d think we’d had 25 pints each.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

12 teams is stupid. Do you know how many teams the other leagues get allocated?
VMSL-5
FVSL-
BMSL-
Richmond?
VISL?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just not enough teams playing "A" level Masters ball these days, I think. I'm sure they would expand it if more teams were competitive at that level.

As it stands VMSL has 10, FVSL and VISL have 6 each which is up from the 4 the island had last year.

So for a 16 team tournament you would have basically 3/4 teams qualifying. What would you have 7 or 8 from VMSL and 4 or 5 each from FVSL/VISL?? It would make it essentially as long as you don't get relegated you make the Provincials.

The alternative would be to go back to including the "other" leagues (BMSA/NSCL/RRSA). The problem being is that really only one or two of those teams can be competitive but you have to give them more entries than that, so it goes back to being a 24 team tournament which was not great either.

There are a few teams in VMSL and FVSL that could potentially hang in at the top Masters level. If you could grow those leagues to 12 and 8-10 teams and get a few more on the island then it probably solves the problem and you can make the tournament bigger/better.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
They had 16 teams for years and it was perfect. Something like 6 or 7 VMSL 3 or 4 FVSL, 3 or 4VISL, 2 or 3 from the old NSCL and then it was the Burnaby league. 16 was a nice number and it divided perfectly down to 8, 4, 2 etc. The cool thing was that you got to play teams from other leagues almost certainly. Then one year a couple of years back for some unbeknownst reason BC soccer in their wisdom expanded it to 24 teams and it was a disaster with playdowns and teams like Richmond Tesla from RRSL getting smoked, lower teams from Burnaby getting hammered. So, in the true Canadian way, BC Soccer knee jerked and instead of going back to the perfect # (16) they cut it to 12. Now teams that could win the whole thing (think, for example, EDC the defending champs) may not qualify, and teams that do (at least from the VMSL) you end up playing teams from your own league. Its taken the fun out of it. Go back to 16; 6 VMSL, 4 FVSL, 4 VISL, 2 Burnaby league. No playdowns, elimination games and more road trip chance. And more fun, win or lose, and more banter.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
They had 16 teams for years and it was perfect. Something like 6 or 7 VMSL 3 or 4 FVSL, 3 or 4VISL, 2 or 3 from the old NSCL and then it was the Burnaby league. 16 was a nice number and it divided perfectly down to 8, 4, 2 etc. The cool thing was that you got to play teams from other leagues almost certainly. Then one year a couple of years back for some unbeknownst reason BC soccer in their wisdom expanded it to 24 teams and it was a disaster with playdowns and teams like Richmond Tesla from RRSL getting smoked, lower teams from Burnaby getting hammered. So, in the true Canadian way, BC Soccer knee jerked and instead of going back to the perfect # (16) they cut it to 12. Now teams that could win the whole thing (think, for example, EDC the defending champs) may not qualify, and teams that do (at least from the VMSL) you end up playing teams from your own league. Its taken the fun out of it. Go back to 16; 6 VMSL, 4 FVSL, 4 VISL, 2 Burnaby league. No playdowns, elimination games and more road trip chance. And more fun, win or lose, and more banter.

Agreed.
However I'd take away one team from VISL and add the top Richmond team. Then we'd have representation from all of the big leagues.
#backto16teams

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed.
However I'd take away one team from VISL and add the top Richmond team. Then we'd have representation from all of the big leagues.
#backto16teams

#nohastags.whatareyou,amillennial?JustSayWhatYouMean.UseYourWords,Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0