Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL League / Divisional set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty much days before the league starts, just like last year. Its absolutely ridiculous that league keeps doing this every year

Annoying, sure. Not sure it is "absolutely ridiculous" though.

You have over 150 teams to schedule across 11 divisions. Many share the same home field to they have to play alternating weeks, plus many teams have requests such as having multiple teams from the same club play during the same weekend, etc. Teams that are getting their own field permits (ie out side of Vancouver) have to confirm the dates that their field is available and then that has to be factored in against the other juggling.

It is a nightmare job and IMO hats off to the volunteer that spends the hours building and then re-building the schedule every time something changes in the weeks leading up. I agree I would love the schedule to be out already as well, but I am not sure it is entirely the league's fault. Likely if teams all had their home field permits confirmed by the start of July the schedule could be out sooner.

The VMSL has plenty of shortcomings but I not sure that this one is the most diabolical. Hell, it's not like the FVSL schedule is out yet or even the Burnaby League schedule for that matter.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Canucks4Ever do you know what the correct process is to re-schedule a game?
If it is a home game I am fairly certain you can move it anywhere within that game week you want as long as you provide sufficient notice and a field to play at. I think its two weeks, but it might be just one week or maybe 10 days.

If it is an away game your are likely SOL unless you can get the home team to agree to re-schedule within that game week.

If it is a specific weekend that you know already that you cannot play a certain day this is the kind of accommodation I was referring to above that the league will try to plan for in advance if you tell them now. The exception being long weekends like Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day, etc. Divisions with shorter schedules (ie Masters with less teams) will get some of these off but everybody else has to play because if you let one team reschedule then it just opens Pandora's Box...

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Annoying, sure. Not sure it is "absolutely ridiculous" though.

You have over 150 teams to schedule across 11 divisions. Many share the same home field to they have to play alternating weeks, plus many teams have requests such as having multiple teams from the same club play during the same weekend, etc. Teams that are getting their own field permits (ie out side of Vancouver) have to confirm the dates that their field is available and then that has to be factored in against the other juggling.

It is a nightmare job and IMO hats off to the volunteer that spends the hours building and then re-building the schedule every time something changes in the weeks leading up. I agree I would love the schedule to be out already as well, but I am not sure it is entirely the league's fault. Likely if teams all had their home field permits confirmed by the start of July the schedule could be out sooner.

The VMSL has plenty of shortcomings but I not sure that this one is the most diabolical. Hell, it's not like the FVSL schedule is out yet or even the Burnaby League schedule for that matter.
The women have everything scheduled until March....just saying....
CoachGeoff Catliff
Standings
Premier - Pool: Premier
Schedule Excel HTML

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jeez, women more organised than men.

And the sky is blue.

:rolleyes:
Perhaps....we should vote in a few women in the VMSL....seriously...every years the women's league have all the issues sorted out (i.e. fields, scheduling of BOTH the league and CUP plays, playing WINTER and SUMMER, updated pictures, 20% discounts for shopping, new website, new awards, new initiatives, christmas's party, and everything well explained...)

The League was always Non Profit and was run by volunteers until 1985 when the first Office Administrator was hired to work only Tuesdays and Saturdays.
The MWSL has over 6800 members, over 220 teams playing Winter and over 130 teams playing Summer. The League has expanded to include Premier, Selects A/B, Division 1 - 5, Classics Division 1 - 3 and U21 A/B.

Passion to Play Award (To recognize Courage, Strength, Perseverance & Passion to Play)
If you are aware of any person involved with the MWSL, that has had a struggle or life altering experience and has come back to play Soccer at any level, we would like to hear from you and to recognize this person. It could be a player, team staff member or a league official. Candidates will have demonstrated courage, strength, perseverance and a passion to return to the game. Recipients will be recognized throughout the season in a pre-game ceremony.
Please forward all submissions to admin@mwsl.com at anytime during or between the seasons. Click here for more information.

Should we send them Martha Stewart to have things more organized?

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is a simple debunking of a excuse.
@Canucks4Ever: "Annoying, sure. Not sure it is "absolutely ridiculous" though. VMSL over 150 teams to schedule across 11 divisions."

Oh well, then how come the WMSL has their schedule figure out from beginning to end including cup dates. They have more teams, more divisions, and more seasons. Their league has more than 220 teams playing Winter and over 130 teams playing Summer. They also have more divisions.

It is just a comment to encourage the VMSL to improve the service to the players and teams. If the women can organize everything months ahead of time in their league, why we can not do the same?

Leblue

Oct 25, 2018
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well it seems Guildford have found their buyer. They have appeared on the VMSL teams list still listed as "Guildford FC" but a closer look reveals that the management and coaching staff match that of FASA FC. FASA have registered a team in Division 3 so not sure why they would not want to build their brand by being "FASA-Guildford", or visa versa, but perhaps that is to come.

My understanding is that head coach Othmane Kabbadj runs an academy out of Adanac Park; "FASA" standing for "Field Art Soccer Academy." FASA currently have two teams playing summer league in the KSL. One is sitting second place in that "Premier" Division, though they are worlds behind run away leaders West Van FC, though ahead of VMSL Div. 1 promotion hopefuls Burnaby Metro. They also have a team in the "Friday Night Lights" Division, where they sit third, about even with recently relegated from VMSL Div. 1 Romania. As a side note it is also worth pointing out that Campo continue to rot and sit dead last in that Friday Night league without a point to their name.

It seems this all came together rather quickly with FASA's website boasting only of starting a Div. 3 team with an eye to climbing the ladder: https://www.fasacademy.ca/mens-open.html#/

At $750 a head, perhaps that explains how they were able to match Guildford's asking price. That team it appears will be based out of Andy Livingston, though no word on if this new venture might establish itself farther East to try an perhaps entice a few Guildford holdovers. I also understand Kabbadj was involved somewhat as a player with Burnaby White Eagles during their Div. 1 Championship and subsequent promotion last season and was rumoured to have been asked to coach that team in Premier this season. Obviously now he will be going in a different direction, but, again, it will be worth seeing if he potentially cannibalizes White Eagles to give his new side some senior players or if he instead opts to go with all academy kids in what you would have to feel is a recipe for disaster. I am told that assistant coach Riad Issa has some connection to Langara, so again, possibly an avenue for player recruitment there. All in all though this new side have to be considered early betting favourites to go down.

Elsewhere, we are rapidly approaching the VMSL registration "deadline" which is listed as today (July 11) on the Excellent Site. Pretty sure teams can still register after, however I believe there is a late fee. There are still three sides missing from the topflight as of this writing, one of which is NorVan, who have not registered any teams in any divisions as of yet, and you feel as though someone in the club may have dropped the ball there, as well as Metro Ford who will surely be back given that many of their lower division sides are already registered. The other team missing at the minute is Pegasus, who I believe just won 13k as champions of BC Tigers Miri-Piri tournament. Of course one would expect their return to the VMSL's top flight, however, they always seem to be loosely linked to the FVSL. I understand many of their players played summer league in the Valley and given the struggles they had last season, there was a rumour floating around near the end of the campaign that the core of Peg was eyeing a move to Masters Premier in the FVSL. It is also worth mentioning that the FVSL's Umbro Premier League is apparently expanding to 10 teams next season (I would post that in an FVSL offseason thread if there was one...). All in all I expect Peg back in the VMSL as usual, but I suppose you never know until it is official!
Will you be doing a prem and div 1 preview for the season?

Sunday League Gaffer

Oct 23, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is correct. New management did not consider a priority to attend the Kamloops tournament.
Please remember that the original "Campo" is no longer with us. It is a new era.

Same old campo... Hearing it was one way traffic last night vs the new formed UBC2 squad at Thunderbird. 4-0 finally with Campo playing route 1 football like Newcastle circa 1980.
Could they get relegated again... time will tell

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is a matter of perspective. We were quite happy. First half, we practiced defending. There were two penalties given that were NOT penalties, and a couple of errors on the linesman. There is some history with the referee crew specially with the main referee. IF Angelo would have known, I am sure that he would not have booked two of them. It is kind of obvious that you should not have referees with relatives who you coached. Nor referees should accept games when they know that they have the potential to be biased.

Angelo knows now, and he is usually pretty good on this issues. For a friendly, it is really sad that he ruined it with penalties that were not there. I saw him doing a final last weekend, and he called THREE penalties that were not there. One was on the last minute of extra time for a ficticious handball.Thus you have a referee who called 5 penalties in two games within 3 days. He should reflect why he is giving so many penalties.

On the second penalty he could not even make his mind. Was the contact between the keeper and the forward, then finally he said that it was the push of the centre back, but this allegedly "push" was outside the the area.

One goal was a corner kick from a scramble. Thus, no goal on open play. Yes, they had possession in the first half, but there was no real breakdown of the defensive unit.

Second half we attacked, and UBC could not get possession. The keeper was forced to boot the ball long most of the time. The game was even.

We had about three 16 year olds, and they were getting tired. One gave the ball away in the build up.
For us it was a good experience. UBC had like 22 players and played double shifts. We had 14. The coaches and UBC players were not happy with the second half. They should not be with the first half either, as they did not get any goal in any open play.
One of our players knows them and told us that the first half had about 2/3 of the regular starting line up. I do not know if it is true.
Given the ball away to the opposing team, it is football too. This will be a good competitive season.
We appreciate that UBC wanted to play with us. They are obviously some of the best players in the province. I am sure that they will get promotion. Nice skilled and experienced players who are very well coached.

This is one of the most interesting division 1 competition in years.

At the AGM, we discussed the issue of referees. I do not know how we are going to fix this issue. We have a few excellent referees but we still have a lot who should be receiving more feedback and support to become better. It is sad when they ruin games with their awful calls.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ps. if you want, I can start to write game reviews, but you guys, should not get weird ...last time I had people vandalizing the car...chasing me on motorcycles...it is just a game for fun...do not take the comments too literal...
and come on guys...these are friendlies some we had to send division 3 team and youth squad.

Last edited:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ps. if you want, I can start to write game reviews, but you guys, should not get weird ...last time I had people vandalizing the car...chasing me on motorcycles...it is just a game for fun...do not take the comments too literal...
and come on guys...these are friendlies some we had to send division 3 team and youth squad.
it was a moped not a motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts