Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 VMSL Division 2/3/CAT CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
On one side, we have the Vancouver Westside. Those who live in the wealthy part of the city. The houses that have million dollar prices. The children of doctors, lawyers, and real state business people. The ones who have been blessed (and I assume also worked hard) for the privilege of enjoying the economic benefits of our society. They are the ones who have learned to play the game in academies or with hired coaches during their youth. For them, the game has a secondary meaning.

On the other side, we have Campo Atletico. Those who live in East Vancouver. The children of immigrants or immigrants themselves. The ones that can not afford to go to college or have to go everyday to sell their fruits of their labour to survive. The ones who learn to play in the streets or were taught by their siblings in the park. The ones for whom the game, the club, and the shirt has a more deep meaning.

<snip>

It is a win for the little guys that do not give up and battle with determination; the ones who were not born with a silver spoon. The ones for whom the game has a much deeper and richer meaning.

Cute class-warfare caricature... but as someone who has lived all over this city, you are spewing a load of bullshit stereotypes.

Is everyone in the West Side privileged? Do you really think the Meraloma lads aren't a bunch of working-class gits?

Houses (scrap that... empty lots) in East Van are now worth more than $1 million, yet somehow you paint that half of the city as being similar to the Rio favelas. (YouTube segue!)

More than half the people in Vancouver are renters, fella.

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sorry but if you can afford to live anywhere in Vancouver ( own or rent ) you are not under privileged buy any FCUKING stretch of the word. Mexican workers who come up here and work they're asses of in our local fields, they are the under privileged and extremely under appreciated. That is just one example that I could think of off the top of my head after reading that.....FCUK ME.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sorry but if you can afford to live anywhere in Vancouver ( own or rent ) you are not under privileged buy any FCUKING stretch of the word. Mexican workers who come up here and work they're asses of in our local fields, they are the under privileged and extremely under appreciated. That is just one example that I could think of off the top of my head after reading that.....FCUK ME.

It is a matter of comparison. Residents, organizations, and institutions based on the West side of Vancouver have more resources than their counterparts in the East Side. If you walk on the streets of East Vancouver you will find a lot of people who struggle. Two or three jobs. Living from pay check to pay check and close to the poverty lines by Canadian standards. Yes, you will find some in the West side of Vancouver, but it is the minority.

There is marked difference in terms of educational, recreational, and health care facilities.
Teams do not exist in a social vacuum.

From city sources:

"... East Vancouver has been the first home for many non-British immigrants since the 1880s. Historically, it was also a more affordable area and traditionally the home for many lower-income working class. The East Side is best summarized by its diversity – in family income, land use, ethnicity and mother tongue..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0