Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 3 [VMSL Div 3] Predictions, Results & Banter 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quick observations on Div. 3:

Not sure why 3A has 12 teams AND a bye; 3B 11 and a bye and 3C 10 and no bye. Presumably "West Hounds FC" was a last minute addition and will be moved to 3C to make it 11 teams per group? They would have the defacto "bye" in that pool this week?

3A looks to be competitive at the top with relegation playoff losers Euro FC and Burnaby White Eagles B who, if not for a six point swing due to playing an illegible player in their first game of the season, would have been promoted. Also in this group are Coquitlam Metro Ford Lobos who are CMF's former U21 team and they have been at or near the top of that division the past few seasons. Always tough to get a read on new teams like Brazzcouver and Kurds, so who knows, maybe contenders in there as well. Tough draw for France who have been on a steady upwards trajectory since joining the league 2 years ago and would likely be in a promotion race in one of the other two pools, but will need to be at their very best to go up this season.

3B has several question marks, so we will see who rises to the top. Royal City romped to a Division 3 title two year ago only to be laughed out of Division 2 finishing dead last, winning only one game all season. No idea what kind of side they will be able to field but it stands to reason that they will be in the conversation, especially if they still have the Gray brothers. Siaron led out in 3B for awhile last season before fading and finishing fourth. Bowen appear to have merged with Falconetti's so perhaps that will give them the missing pieces that they need to challenge for promotion. New teams in this group: AC Slater, Vancouver Brothers United and BCT Apna Tigers. There was a team in FVSL Division 1 last season by the name Apna Tigers; if it is the same team perhaps they can offer some competition at the top of 3B. Then again, I believe they finished in last place in FVSL Div. 1, so maybe not.

3C might be the most competitive with relegated Bosna along side West Coast Celts and GFC Lions who both narrowly missed out on the bonus promotion spot last season. Lobbans are always capable of a run and will earn their share of points, plus there is the rebranded NorVan Lions and another new Coquitlam Metro Ford entry, this one under "United." New teams are Formwerks Boutique (which I believe spawned out of Royal Dutch Cousins), Musqeuam Spurs and, presumably, West Hounds FC.

clem

Sep 8, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quick observations on Div. 3:

Not sure why 3A has 12 teams AND a bye; 3B 11 and a bye and 3C 10 and no bye. Presumably "West Hounds FC" was a last minute addition and will be moved to 3C to make it 11 teams per group? They would have the defacto "bye" in that pool this week?

3A looks to be competitive at the top with relegation playoff losers Euro FC and Burnaby White Eagles B who, if not for a six point swing due to playing an illegible player in their first game of the season, would have been promoted. Also in this group are Coquitlam Metro Ford Lobos who are CMF's former U21 team and they have been at or near the top of that division the past few seasons. Always tough to get a read on new teams like Brazzcouver and Kurds, so who knows, maybe contenders in there as well. Tough draw for France who have been on a steady upwards trajectory since joining the league 2 years ago and would likely be in a promotion race in one of the other two pools, but will need to be at their very best to go up this season.

3B has several question marks, so we will see who rises to the top. Royal City romped to a Division 3 title two year ago only to be laughed out of Division 2 finishing dead last, winning only one game all season. No idea what kind of side they will be able to field but it stands to reason that they will be in the conversation, especially if they still have the Gray brothers. Siaron led out in 3B for awhile last season before fading and finishing fourth. Bowen appear to have merged with Falconetti's so perhaps that will give them the missing pieces that they need to challenge for promotion. New teams in this group: AC Slater, Vancouver Brothers United and BCT Apna Tigers. There was a team in FVSL Division 1 last season by the name Apna Tigers; if it is the same team perhaps they can offer some competition at the top of 3B. Then again, I believe they finished in last place in FVSL Div. 1, so maybe not.

3C might be the most competitive with relegated Bosna along side West Coast Celts and GFC Lions who both narrowly missed out on the bonus promotion spot last season. Lobbans are always capable of a run and will earn their share of points, plus there is the rebranded NorVan Lions and another new Coquitlam Metro Ford entry, this one under "United." New teams are Formwerks Boutique (which I believe spawned out of Royal Dutch Cousins), Musqeuam Spurs and, presumably, West Hounds FC.

Thanks for this introduction to this 2018/2019 season!
We will try our very best to be in the promotion race in this pool A, this is clearly our goal this year after finishing 4th and 3rd in the previous seasons. It's going to be tough but I guess that's why we love football and as we say in France: "À vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire" ("victory without risk is triumph without glory." )

Good luck to everybody for this season!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Helped them a little bit with this Celtic 5 Slater bagel.

Up 2-0 at the break, but our starters were basically not taking the game seriously at all after getting both goals in the first 10 minutes, so we made 7 changes at the half. The subs performed admirably and clicked for 3 more than the starters did. There could have been a lot more, but there really didn't need to be. They have decent guys who play cleanly and kept trying despite the score going one-sided on them. Our team manager knows some of their players and said that their team had played in Out For Kicks and decided to try the VMSL this season.

PS @Gurps - we missed you earlier when Spurs were playing your mangy mob. Donny falls down even slower than I do now...

clem

Sep 8, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Euro FC won against France FC game with 12 players on the field (including the referee).

I've played football (or soccer) for a long time but I've never seen something like this. A referee like the one we had yesterday shouldn't be allowed in a league like VMSL. First, we asked him on which side of the field should we put one player to help him with the flag (sideline and offside)... his answer gave the ton of the game "I don't need one", I am not even sure he is allowed to do so... but let's be honest he probably forgot the flags.

And then the first minutes of the game showed us how it will be for the whole game when he didn't use his whistle for obvious faults... and when I say obvious I'm talking about tackles 2 seconds late with players that didn't even have the ball anymore or a Euro FC player that literally broke the ankle of one of our player on a corner kick (he didn't have the ball either), of course we didn't hear the ref's whistle on this one too. After many unwhistled faults, our players came to him to show the blood marks on their legs but he didn't even look at it or talk with us. We even had to retain a player's father to not get on the field to protect his son... So yes, it's true that we lost our minds at one point but when the ref doesn't protect the players I guess that's what happens.

At the end, France FC lost the game but also had 4 players injured with 2 seriously, 2 red cards (yes at one point it starts to be upsetting) and 1 uncounted goal that went in of at least 1 meter (even the Euro FC goalkeeper laughed about it). Oh and yeah, they scored because of a mistake of one of our defender (who didn't have the time to warm up, it was 15 minutes after the beginning of the game) who came in because the titular player got his ankle broken.

If my memory is good Euro FC got 2 yellow cards... While some of their players shouldn't even have finished the first half.
This game was just scandalous and this referee is a shame for the VMSL.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’ve never really heard @clem complain about the refs in his reports so this sounds legit and some really brutal reffing!

clem

Sep 8, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’ve never really heard @clem complain about the refs in his reports so this sounds legit and some really brutal reffing!

Yes I usually never complain about the ref.

The worst is that, excepted few players, Euro FC was a tough team but most of their guys were nice with no bad intentions. We even shake hands at the end of the game... and I won’t blame them to play along with the ref. We would have done the sameI guess if it would have been the opposite way.

In a way, we probably deserved the sanctions against us because we had some words with the ref but honestly when a referee doesn’t protect the players it become complicated to keep calm.

I know it’s not always easy to be a ref in VMSL division 3, especially with european players because we have a tendency to talk a lot, but this time it was dangerous for the players on the field... let’s just look at the end of the game: 4 players injured in our team and 1 in the other team, 2 red cards and probably 4 or 5 yellow cards... doesn’t look like a game well controlled by the ref.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Clem - if you're given a flag by the referee, you don't get to call offsides. You only get to do that if you're actually an AR. Depending on who the ref was, there are a few guys who refuse to accept club linesmen - it's not because they don't have flags either. If you have a guy like that, you should let the league know.

Sorry to hear about your guy's ankle - hope he recovers quickly.

Another shite game for us vs. Cosmos. Not to say we should have won, but the team is definitely better than its results are showing. Need to get this turned around, quickly.

handover

Feb 3, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes I usually never complain about the ref.

The worst is that, excepted few players, Euro FC was a tough team but most of their guys were nice with no bad intentions. We even shake hands at the end of the game... and I won’t blame them to play along with the ref. We would have done the sameI guess if it would have been the opposite way.

In a way, we probably deserved the sanctions against us because we had some words with the ref but honestly when a referee doesn’t protect the players it become complicated to keep calm.

I know it’s not always easy to be a ref in VMSL division 3, especially with european players because we have a tendency to talk a lot, but this time it was dangerous for the players on the field... let’s just look at the end of the game: 4 players injured in our team and 1 in the other team, 2 red cards and probably 4 or 5 yellow cards... doesn’t look like a game well controlled by the ref.
:(:(:(:(:(:(

TTPanon

Oct 30, 2018
Tokens
Dirty Money
Felt compelled to reply to the above and had to sign up for an account just to do so...I am a player on Euro FC so understandably a bias will be perceived, but felt a few things were left out from the analysis above, and I don't think the referee should be entirely thrown under the bus.

The physicality wasn't nearly as one-sided as implied. There were several first-half fouls against Euro that I believed should have been carded that the referee let pass, including several "2 seconds late" tackles. We have a few players with swollen ankles and scrapes as well, but it seems that happens in men's league. In any case, I too was surprised that there weren't more cards shown in the first half, however in the opposite direction...

The "1 uncounted goal" - a meter over the line is an overstatement. I was inside the 6 yard box at the time, and would not be able to tell you if the ball was fully over the line or not (it was in the air). The goalie made a remarkable kick save and the ball shot up off the cross bar and out (Which would be tough if the ball was over the line...?), so you can understand why he was pleased (or laughing) about the save. Given the circumstances and the lack of goal-line technology in our humble league, I would hardly hold this against the referee.

The incident where a someone "literally broke the ankle" of a player wasn't as dramatic as implied; unless I missed something, I don't recall any players being helped off the field. I truly hope he recovers though, being injured is never fun, particularly from division 3 soccer. Speaking of which...

Noticeably absent from the report is an FFC player hauling down a Euro player by the neck in a move more reminiscent of something from the WWE rather than the VMSL; people don't play in this league expecting to get paralyzed in division 3. And the reaction from the offending player wasn't one of remorse or contrition, despite our player not having moved while laying on the field and having difficulty moving his head. I think a red card was more than justified in this.
The second red was for a player screaming abusive language right next to the referee during the above incident. What's a referee to do?

From this incident on the hounding of the referee from the sideline was incessant, including post-game badgering on the sidelines (and from what I heard even trying to film the interaction with the referee for some reason). I personally heard hollers from the sideline accusing the referee of racism, which is a strong accusation to make (and seemed unwarranted). Frankly, I'd say it was fortunate the referee didn't speak French as there was plenty more said in his direction I'm sure he didn't understand.

I'll echo the above's comment though - most of the FFC guys were fine individuals, and I'm sure a lot of what happened was "heat of the moment" type reaction in a hard fought game. The league is better when cooler heads prevail, just remember that everyone (even referees) have regular lives to get back to after the weekend. I'm moderately embarrassed even having typed this much, it's only division 3 soccer after all.

handover

Feb 3, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've played against FFC. Their coach should not be one to talk. These guys are the biggest bunch of whiners and divers in the league.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Felt compelled to reply to the above and had to sign up for an account just to do so...I am a player on Euro FC so understandably a bias will be perceived, but felt a few things were left out from the analysis above, and I don't think the referee should be entirely thrown under the bus.

The physicality wasn't nearly as one-sided as implied. There were several first-half fouls against Euro that I believed should have been carded that the referee let pass, including several "2 seconds late" tackles. We have a few players with swollen ankles and scrapes as well, but it seems that happens in men's league. In any case, I too was surprised that there weren't more cards shown in the first half, however in the opposite direction...

The "1 uncounted goal" - a meter over the line is an overstatement. I was inside the 6 yard box at the time, and would not be able to tell you if the ball was fully over the line or not (it was in the air). The goalie made a remarkable kick save and the ball shot up off the cross bar and out (Which would be tough if the ball was over the line...?), so you can understand why he was pleased (or laughing) about the save. Given the circumstances and the lack of goal-line technology in our humble league, I would hardly hold this against the referee.

The incident where a someone "literally broke the ankle" of a player wasn't as dramatic as implied; unless I missed something, I don't recall any players being helped off the field. I truly hope he recovers though, being injured is never fun, particularly from division 3 soccer. Speaking of which...

Noticeably absent from the report is an FFC player hauling down a Euro player by the neck in a move more reminiscent of something from the WWE rather than the VMSL; people don't play in this league expecting to get paralyzed in division 3. And the reaction from the offending player wasn't one of remorse or contrition, despite our player not having moved while laying on the field and having difficulty moving his head. I think a red card was more than justified in this.
The second red was for a player screaming abusive language right next to the referee during the above incident. What's a referee to do?

From this incident on the hounding of the referee from the sideline was incessant, including post-game badgering on the sidelines (and from what I heard even trying to film the interaction with the referee for some reason). I personally heard hollers from the sideline accusing the referee of racism, which is a strong accusation to make (and seemed unwarranted). Frankly, I'd say it was fortunate the referee didn't speak French as there was plenty more said in his direction I'm sure he didn't understand.

I'll echo the above's comment though - most of the FFC guys were fine individuals, and I'm sure a lot of what happened was "heat of the moment" type reaction in a hard fought game. The league is better when cooler heads prevail, just remember that everyone (even referees) have regular lives to get back to after the weekend. I'm moderately embarrassed even having typed this much, it's only division 3 soccer after all.

I wonder how many other people just lurk the forums?!? :p
@termatofylakas , are you still with Euro...are you even playing??? Do you still come on here?? We need a keeper for over-35! hahahaha

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money

Nothing too surprising here. The "French" go from really low performances on and off the pitch to really good ones. Most of the time they are a nice team with good players, but it can quickly turn for the bad. They are like their National Team.

clem

Sep 8, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just disagree with the analysis of TTPanon reagardimg the referree. I think this specific ref didn’t protect the players.
As mentioned, I also think most of Euro FC players were friendly individuals but some of them were simply dangerous and haven’t been sanctionned accordingly by the ref. Not to mention obvious faults that weren’t even signaled.
It’s been 3 seasons that I comment and report games on this forum and it’s the first time that I complain like this about a referree.

To reply to few things, the players that had his ankle broken did got out off the field help by two players of our team and won’t be able to play for weeks.
Regarding the uncounted goal, it can be an endless debate but all of our players in the box saw the ball clearly passed the line. The reaction of your keeper, when asked by one of our player, speaked for itself.

I didn’t say that we haven’t done anything wrong. It is true that some players have things to be ashamed of and most of the cards (yellow/red) were probably deserved. It’s just that the sanctions weren’t distributed fairly. It encouraged Euro FC players to keep making faults and made feel all of our players not really protected by the ref, which obviously “helped” us to get out of the game. And again the result speaks for itself : 4 players injured in our team, 1 in Euro FC, 2 red cards, 4 to 5 yellow cards...

That being said, we are looking forward to play Euro FC again with a more positive mindset. They are definitely a good opposition and it is true that they didn’t win only because of the ref. Next game, I just hope that the referee will protect the players and won’t increase tensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts