Div 3 [VMSL Div 3] Predictions, Results & Banter 2017/2018

Discussion in 'VMSL Season Archives' started by Regs, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmartCoach

SmartCoach Well-Known Member

Est:
    Oct 3, 2004
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Good bye Cat Mow

2. club_i_champ

club_i_champ Well-Known Member

Est:
    Dec 6, 2001
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $628.45
    In this scenario only those registered to the team are eligible to play I'd assume. I'm registered Div 3, but unfortunately cannot play this evening.

I've managed to play 30 on the nose across 3 divisions this year, whether in goal or upfront, but have been out since the turn of the year with a dodgy, and now old knee!

Good luck to those involved in this shambolic promotion race!

• Like Like x 2
  3. trece verde

trece verde Well-Known Member

Est:
    Dec 28, 2001
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Fack, I go to work out of town for a while and the whole place goes to shite...

For those wondering, the "old guy" playing for Celtic vs. Boners wasn't me for a change. I'm nowhere as good looking and substantially older, as RickG can attest to. That was The Hot Rod, who CIC may remember from many moons ago in the Airport League when we were all much younger and his white boots were still a novelty.

Played what I hope is at 58 my last Div. 3 game ever, against Lobbans last night, in a losing cause. We went down 3-1 with a lineup of primarily O35 players, but not without a good struggle. Randy Samuel is a class act as a coach and just as a human being, but he's frustrated by the players he's got - quick, but not too smart (our centre back called them a "bunch of Hurtados"). Nice to chat with him after the game.

The Celtic closet will be getting a full cleanout in the off season. New coach is already in place, and a LOT of new players. This summer should be interesting.

Good luck to all of you still playoff-bound.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Canucks4Ever

Canucks4Ever Well-Known Member

Est:
    Jan 9, 2011
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $120.00
    Richmond out, West Coast Celts with a chance at promotion after a 2-0 win at Van Tech Friday night. Strathcona have grabbed the early impetus in the round robin with their 2-1 win over GFC Lions. Not sure why there is a two week break until the next match on April 21, but if Strathcona can win that one over West Coast then the final match between GFC and West Coast will not be necessary as the East Van boys will have clinched the bonus promotion spot.

5. Farquea

Farquea Active Member

Est:
    Jan 14, 2013
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Sad to hear Richmond are out, they pushed us all the way and felt that they probably deserved it/were our closest challengers.

6. Reston

Reston New Member

Est:
    Feb 20, 2016
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Rough run over at Richmond. We ended up barely being able to field a full team for our game against the Celts. With injuries/travel/short notice we had about 12 players not able to make the game. We only found out Monday about the Friday game, but managed to push the Celts into OT before running out of gas. Good luck to the Celts, would rather see them move up, as we all had a good run in 3C. Richmond's Div 1 team went down to Div 2, so might see some familiar faces next year in Div 2

7. Canucks4Ever

Est:
    Jan 9, 2011
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $120.00
    Worth noting that the playoff for the bonus Div. 3 promotion spot resumes this weekend.

With Strathcona having won already over GFC Lions, the East Van boys can lock up a Div. 2 spot with a win over West Coast Celts on Saturday and make the West Coast/GFC match up unnecessary. Any other result and we will have to wait any see how it shakes down next weekend.

8. dezza

dezza Well-Known Member

Est:
    Feb 20, 2005
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $420.00
    So WC Celts and Strathcona tied 1-1

As a result GFC Lions are officially eliminated from contention (0 pts vs Strathcona's 4), but still have a game to play vs WC Celts.

I can't imagine Lions are going to put up much resistance, and if Celts win by 2 or more they get to move up. Seems that in the end it's Strathcona who are getting the shaft!!

I seem to remember when there was a 3-way playoff in a season past (between Sarajevo, TSA Royals, and someone else?) tied matches went to pks, and pk winner got an extra +1 pt or something in the playoff rankings. That seems like a better solution, and I'm surprised it was not implemented now to avoid this situation.

9. Canucks4Ever

Est:
    Jan 9, 2011
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $120.00
    Agreed. Having not played in three weeks and with no chance of promotion it would seem unlikely that GFC put up must resistance. Perhaps they will want to try an play spoiler, but my guess would be them fielding more of a ragtag summer league style squad rather than their best side.

10. Canucks4Ever

Est:
    Jan 9, 2011
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $120.00
    It would appear in the end that GFC did not, in fact, mail this one in and, instead, relished the role of spoiler. Their 2-2 with West Coast Celts means that Strathcona should be going up to fill the extra promotion spot created thanks to Sea to Sky leaving the league.

Based on the anecdotal evidence here, it seems as though the East Van side are likely full value for the promotion.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. trece verde

trece verde Well-Known Member

Est:
    Dec 28, 2001
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Just as a coincidence, Strathcona host Celtic for one of two Knight League Div. 2 semi finals on Tuesday night at Burnaby Lake. C4E, come on by and say hi - we're on field #4 at 7.

12. Canucks4Ever

Est:
    Jan 9, 2011
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $120.00
    Summer vacation mate :cool:

Thanks for the invite though.

13. clem

clem Member

Est:
    Sep 8, 2016
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $1.00
    Hi guys,

Any team interested in a friendly game to prepare for the upcoming season?
    It's always good to play against the world cup champions ;)

We have 2 fields booked :
    - August 15th at 7pm / Memorial Park
    - August 23rd at 7pm / Andy Livingston

We would cover the field fees ($110 for 2 hours) but your team would have to take care of the referee (contact + $).

Please let me know if interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.