Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 3 [VMSL Div 3] Predictions, Results & Banter 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, bizarre decision by the league and I look forward to them trying to explain their way out of this one. Best explanation that I was able to source out was that this was a promotion spot and not a "vacancy" therefore Rule 6.3 is not in effect. I am told rule 6.3 vacancies refer to when teams do not return to the league and the VMSL receives this notice in August, etc. (ie Surrey Utd.), and must fill the spot when no playoffs can take place. The language in the rules and regs really needs to be cleaned up to define this as we continue to have these unexpected vacancies, etc., and the league seemingly just changes the rules every time. They are not necessarily wrong in determining the best way to fill these spots, though I am sure there are several opinions, but it is a bit mickey mouse when you keep appearing to make it up as you go along. As Sea to Sky were expelled from the league without ever having played a game their spot is being looked at as an extra promotion spot that ALL second place teams get to playoff for the chance to claim. Richmond and West Coast tied for second place in 3C and thus, like any other tiebreaker in the VMSL, must playoff to determine who finishes in second and then gets a chance to enter the promotion playoff. I guess the reasoning is fair, but, because there is not an iron clad rule that all the teams knew about in advance, I think it is only fair for a team like Richmond or West Coast to have a moan.

The real issue, if you ask me, is that this is completely different than how the league handled the Division 1 vacancy when Akal was expelled after never playing a game last season. The league still counted Akal as a relegated team and did not promote an extra Division 2 team, despite the boisterous objections of a certain North Vancouver based team... Anyway, if the same rules had been applied in this case then VUFC would be safe and Royal City would be playing off against Euro with only the usual three teams coming up from Division 3. I just think the league needs to clean up the language in the rules so that everyone knows what is happening from the start and it is a transparent process without all this speculating.

As for the CAT system, historically it has always been in effect for playoffs, however, as Div. 3 is at the bottom of the pyramid, there is not a team that players could be called up from. None of the four playoff teams have a U21 team or any affiliated Masters teams that I am aware of, so it will only be players signed to those squads taking part.

Good bye Cat Mow

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
how does the cat system work in the playoffs? how many games have you played in total this year CIC? 30 plus for your club? good for you old man

In this scenario only those registered to the team are eligible to play I'd assume. I'm registered Div 3, but unfortunately cannot play this evening.

I've managed to play 30 on the nose across 3 divisions this year, whether in goal or upfront, but have been out since the turn of the year with a dodgy, and now old knee!

Good luck to those involved in this shambolic promotion race!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fack, I go to work out of town for a while and the whole place goes to shite...

For those wondering, the "old guy" playing for Celtic vs. Boners wasn't me for a change. I'm nowhere as good looking and substantially older, as RickG can attest to. That was The Hot Rod, who CIC may remember from many moons ago in the Airport League when we were all much younger and his white boots were still a novelty.

Played what I hope is at 58 my last Div. 3 game ever, against Lobbans last night, in a losing cause. We went down 3-1 with a lineup of primarily O35 players, but not without a good struggle. Randy Samuel is a class act as a coach and just as a human being, but he's frustrated by the players he's got - quick, but not too smart (our centre back called them a "bunch of Hurtados"). Nice to chat with him after the game.

The Celtic closet will be getting a full cleanout in the off season. New coach is already in place, and a LOT of new players. This summer should be interesting.

Good luck to all of you still playoff-bound.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Richmond out, West Coast Celts with a chance at promotion after a 2-0 win at Van Tech Friday night. Strathcona have grabbed the early impetus in the round robin with their 2-1 win over GFC Lions. Not sure why there is a two week break until the next match on April 21, but if Strathcona can win that one over West Coast then the final match between GFC and West Coast will not be necessary as the East Van boys will have clinched the bonus promotion spot.

Farquea

Jan 14, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sad to hear Richmond are out, they pushed us all the way and felt that they probably deserved it/were our closest challengers.

Reston

Feb 20, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rough run over at Richmond. We ended up barely being able to field a full team for our game against the Celts. With injuries/travel/short notice we had about 12 players not able to make the game. We only found out Monday about the Friday game, but managed to push the Celts into OT before running out of gas. Good luck to the Celts, would rather see them move up, as we all had a good run in 3C. Richmond's Div 1 team went down to Div 2, so might see some familiar faces next year in Div 2

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Worth noting that the playoff for the bonus Div. 3 promotion spot resumes this weekend.

With Strathcona having won already over GFC Lions, the East Van boys can lock up a Div. 2 spot with a win over West Coast Celts on Saturday and make the West Coast/GFC match up unnecessary. Any other result and we will have to wait any see how it shakes down next weekend.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So WC Celts and Strathcona tied 1-1

As a result GFC Lions are officially eliminated from contention (0 pts vs Strathcona's 4), but still have a game to play vs WC Celts.

I can't imagine Lions are going to put up much resistance, and if Celts win by 2 or more they get to move up. Seems that in the end it's Strathcona who are getting the shaft!!

I seem to remember when there was a 3-way playoff in a season past (between Sarajevo, TSA Royals, and someone else?) tied matches went to pks, and pk winner got an extra +1 pt or something in the playoff rankings. That seems like a better solution, and I'm surprised it was not implemented now to avoid this situation.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So WC Celts and Strathcona tied 1-1

As a result GFC Lions are officially eliminated from contention (0 pts vs Strathcona's 4), but still have a game to play vs WC Celts.

I can't imagine Lions are going to put up much resistance, and if Celts win by 2 or more they get to move up. Seems that in the end it's Strathcona who are getting the shaft!!

I seem to remember when there was a 3-way playoff in a season past (between Sarajevo, TSA Royals, and someone else?) tied matches went to pks, and pk winner got an extra +1 pt or something in the playoff rankings. That seems like a better solution, and I'm surprised it was not implemented now to avoid this situation.

Agreed. Having not played in three weeks and with no chance of promotion it would seem unlikely that GFC put up must resistance. Perhaps they will want to try an play spoiler, but my guess would be them fielding more of a ragtag summer league style squad rather than their best side.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It would appear in the end that GFC did not, in fact, mail this one in and, instead, relished the role of spoiler. Their 2-2 with West Coast Celts means that Strathcona should be going up to fill the extra promotion spot created thanks to Sea to Sky leaving the league.

Based on the anecdotal evidence here, it seems as though the East Van side are likely full value for the promotion.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just as a coincidence, Strathcona host Celtic for one of two Knight League Div. 2 semi finals on Tuesday night at Burnaby Lake. C4E, come on by and say hi - we're on field #4 at 7.

clem

Sep 8, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hi guys,

Any team interested in a friendly game to prepare for the upcoming season?
It's always good to play against the world cup champions ;)

We have 2 fields booked :
- August 15th at 7pm / Memorial Park
- August 23rd at 7pm / Andy Livingston

We would cover the field fees ($110 for 2 hours) but your team would have to take care of the referee (contact + $).

Please let me know if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts