Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 3 [VMSL Div 3] Predictions, Results & Banter 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Strathcona played Boners off the park on Saturday. As Soccer Mom noted earlier, they were fast, physical and competitive, playing out of what looked like a very old fashioned, but very effective, WM formation with three back, two central mids, two attacking mids and three forwards. There was plenty of space to exploit, but they pressed our guys so hard the island boys couldn't do much with it. I think I was being a bit optimistic thinking we could compete for a top 5 finish in this pool. There are quite a few tough teams who can win on any given day.

I will say I thought the Strathcona guys acted like jerks for much of the game, and especially during one incident when a young kid on our team, right out of high school, was flattened near the touch line by a Strathcona defender. The challenge was tough, arguably a bit grabby and a touch from behind in my view, but not a clear foul. Our player fell on his shoulder and separated it badly, and several of the Strathcona guys were jeering, calling it a dive, then laughing and making fun of our efforts to get our player off the field, who was reduced to having to worm off on his back.

We took him to the hospital and he won't need surgery but he'll have to miss work for the next 6 weeks, and probably won't be able to play again this season. It was one of those moments when classy teams, shut up, then often applaud the injured player. But, no such class at Strathcona this year.

Soccer Mom

Nov 30, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will say I thought the Strathcona guys acted like jerks for much of the game...

They were c*nts against us as well. So join the club. A couple of their guys were throwing elbows if they didn't like how closely we were defending them. It's one thing to try and cheat a little for an advantage, like a jersey tug or a push, it's a completely different thing when you're doing things that could injure.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Catch up time. In 4 weeks we:
  • shite the bed against PCOV 0-6 in one of the worst games we've ever played
  • squeaked past Snipers 2-1 in a very meh performance
  • hammered a hapless Royal City 7-1
  • played a very even game against Westside and lost 2-1
Waiting for the real team to stand up. If it's the team that played the 2nd half against Westside last weekend, it should be a cracker against Strathcona on Friday. I honestly hope to never see what showed up against PCOV again.

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trece, #9 is their leading scorer and most dangerous forward, and #6, who sets up as a holding midfielder, but has a free role in attack, is the guy that a lot of their play goes through.
They played three forwards pushed up on our back line and they counterattack quickly. The good news is those forwards can often be played out of the action with a single pass. They'll come at you hard and confidently, including sometimes only leaving one of their three backs to defend the middle. that may have been as a result of the fact that they were overrunning the Boners all over the park, though.
They have a good keeper, who commands his area and plays like a sweeper on any long ball down the middle. He will come out on those and clear them. If you play direct at all, better to lump it down to the corner flags. They have 33 guys on their roster!!! So I suspect their team may change quite a bit from week to week.
Good luck.
See you guys in a couple of weeks! Like you I never know what the Boners will play like in any given week. Hopefully we'll be able to give you guys a game--but the boys have been garbage the past two weeks.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any match report from West Coast Celts vs Richmond Olympics game?

Looks like 2 red cards to Richmond.

Certainly the 7-0 beat down Richmond received has reeled them back in at the top of 3C. Things could get worse for the Richmond boys as they now play Greencaps B who, with a win, would pull 3 points clear of Richmond with a game in hand. 3B is a similar story at the top and 3A could look that way as well after this weekend if Lobbans can hand Westside their first loss of the season. All in all looks like lots more parity in Division 3 this season, should make for some great races all season!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Strathcona 4 Celtic bagel

Unfortunately the team that came out for the 2nd half against Westside got lost in the Pint, and their alter egos from the PCOV game showed up instead. Man in the middle called a bogus hand ball against us in the box about 15 minutes in, and their peno taker blasted it in. That was as close as we got aside from pinging the crossbar. Not a good showing by any stretch.

Strathcona are quick, and the game was physical, but never really overboard. Retrieving the missing bodies should help us with the rematch, along with some more moxie in the middle of the park. Next...

Soccer Mom

Nov 30, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bowen 2 - SDFC 0

We controlled the first half but some sloppy play battling the wind and rain all night. Couldn't convert with the wind at our backs in the first half (literally and figuratively). 0-0 at half. Bowen dominated the 2nd half, scored a roller catching our keeper on his heels and off balance, rolled through his legs. They got a second one that bounced off one of our defenders standing just off the goal line. Clean game against a nice group of guys, looking forward to the re-match.

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was bloody cold and windy in Ladner and you had the impression that the team that scored first would likely win the game.
SD had several good chances in the first half and I thought Boners were lucky not to give up a goal.

With the wind in the second half, we were the ones who got lucky and after scoring, as S M notes above, the momentum swung to our side. Good gameand I'll return the compliment about them being a nice group of guys. Next week S M's South Delta side face Trece's Celtic side. That should be a good one.

Soccer Mom

Nov 30, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
South Delta 1 - Celtic 0

Again we had a strong 1st half but faded in the 2nd. Scored later in the 1st half, caught the goalie out and one of our strikers chipped it in on the turnover. 2nd half we were down a man for the last 20 minutes after one of our players took a 2nd caution, bit of a struggle. Celtic had a golden opportunity after a poor clearance by us, 1 on 1 with our keeper 8 yards out and he pinged it off our keeps. We were missing a few bodies this week, but got the job done. Decent group of guys on Celtic, a strong centre back. Tough match ahead for us against Lobbans - any intel?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SM, both teams missing players. Both our strikers were no-shows. Our keeper decided to give you guys an early Christmas present when he gave your striker probably the best pass he got all game, but otherwise he kept things clean. You guys pressed well with your opportunities.
Our Russian mid is great with ball control, and can hit the ball nice and hard. but not very accurately. He actually had two cracks at it, but your keeper wouldn't get out of the way quickly enough.:D
Thanks for the props though. Sasha in the middle was a bit card-happy (I think he gave out at least 6 in addition to the red). No idea re Lobbans any more. It's been a REALLY long time since I played for them.

Soccer Mom

Nov 30, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
5 way tie in 3A for 1st place. interesting times. We lost to Lobbans at home Friday 1-0. Decent match, they were quick but none of their players really stood out. They scored about 30 mins in, broke out up the right wing, cut in and shot from the right side of the box, curled it around our keeper and into the side netting, great shot. Unfortunately that was really the only danger they created all game. We had a couple decent opportunities but couldn't convert.

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for the report SM.
Lobbans up next for Boners and they always give us a good game.
Nice to see Trece on the touchlines last week, although without his starting forwards, and only 11 guys for most of the game, Celtic struggled to get much going. In contrast, we had a near full team, including our best players, out for this one and managed to get the W.

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bowen 1-Lobbans 1

Boners got off to a good start and played well early on, getting a goal on a long angled shot that hit the inside of the post and spun in.
We only had 13 guys and two got injured in the first half, so the 11 remaining guys got pretty gassed in the second half, leading to a lot scrambly 'defensive play with clearance after clearance while Lobbans dominated possession. They got what I thought was a questionable penalty call mid half and scored their goal. But in the final 15 minutes the game completely opened up and the action was end to end. Both teams had counter attacking chances, although we had what seemed like a true penalty call get waived off in the final few minutes. All in all an exciting, fast game in what has become a really competitive Div. 3 pool.

Soccer Mom

Nov 30, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another disappointing loss for South Delta last night. Again struggled to convert on our opportunities, while our D held strong and America was able to convert on their only 2 chances - one off a rebound that found their striker finish the crumbs and the second off a cross that was parried away by our keeper but conveniently found their winger in the right place right time. No idea how America had 27 goals for going in this match, they didn't create much in terms of offence. America has a very strong talented dark skin fellow that played on the wing, then moved to centre mid in the 2nd half, speedy with great touch. Frantic finish after we got one with about 20 mins left and pressed to tie it up, closest we got was off a corner and our tall man headed it a couple feet over the bar. Poor form with all the drama and theatrics America FC put on trying to draw calls from the ref. Will be a battle against PCOV next week. The parity in 3A is very good this year, seems like each game is fully for the taking for anyone.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The parity in 3A is very good this year, seems like each game is fully for the taking for anyone.

I would be inclined to agree and would go so far as to say that parity across Division 3 is fantastic this season. All three promotion races are in the balance at the turn with only Greencaps having a small cushion in 3C. Not to mention the fact that this season the best second place team will also get promoted thanks to Sea to Sky folding and that race is also incredibly tight. All three pools look to have at least half a dozen capable teams which makes for good competition and there are seemingly fewer complete blowouts and forfeits, though I see the newly resurrected Akal forfeit a game this weekend. All in all, it's appears to be a pretty strong year in Div. 3.

Soccer Mom

Nov 30, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
South Delta 2 - PCOV 1

PCOV scored in the first half on a thru ball to an offside player. Ballsack. We came out strong in the 2nd half despite losing a couple players in the 1st half to injury, our no warmup format is catching up to us. Managed to put 2 goals away in the final 20 minutes. First one off a free kick from about 35-40 yard out shot direct on goal, their goalie tried to parry it over their goal but instead parried into their goal, pretty weak stuff. Our 2nd came off a scramble in the 6 yard box, 4 bodies laying on the ground and our striker manager to poke it in. Our struggles finishing our true chances continues as we had a handful in the 2nd half.

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bowen 3 - America 0

Tough game for America who showed up with a depleted side of only 11 guys. Even so they played pretty well in the first half before giving up a late goal. But in the second their guys started to tire and Boners were able to take advantage of the spaces opening up as a result. Two goals in the second half and many other quality chances. But America are a better team than this score shows.

PCOV for us this weekend, assuming the field is open, and that will most certainly be another challenging match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts