Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL Div 2] Predictions, Results & Banter 2020/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, Shaheen "gave up" their Division 2 spot to Faly Academy but acquired Division 1 spot from FASA pardon Guildford.
In Premier, Metro Athletic added Tigers to their name. Is Torabi going to play for them next season or stay with Rino's (Tigers too)?

big gk

Oct 28, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the groups will be made at the AGM, those groups are last years groupings, unless they are keeping as is.

Reactions: TC3

Don_Revie

Jan 30, 2020
Tokens
Dirty Money
21 teams in Div 2 right now, I wonder if they're going to keep that number or if some teams are going to register lately. Or they might promote the best 2nd from Div 3 to make it two groups of 12.

Only 23 teams showing in Div 3 by the way, that's really low.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Two demoted Div 1 teams + Lobbans promoted from D3 are missing from the groupings, but all those teams are registered.

Don_Revie

Jan 30, 2020
Tokens
Dirty Money
Two demoted Div 1 teams + Lobbans promoted from D3 are missing from the groupings, but all those teams are registered.

Fair enough!

But VAFC Santos A are listed for Div 3 while they were relegated from DIv 1. They had B and C teams in Div 3 last year as well which are not there anymore.

TC3

Sep 11, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
VMSL is back up and rolling! (Whether or not that's a good idea...) Let's go!

First games being September 25, 26, 27. after teams voting to postpone the recommended start date of next weekend by one week. Apparently there was also an 80% to 20% vote for the league continuing this year in any manner, so justifiably, some teams across the board not being especially keen.

Another element that was approved was completing the 2020 VMSL Cup, at all levels of competition.

I'm not sure when the scheduling on this would be, and I'm also not sure what the Imperial Cup, U21 and Masters competitions look like, but the Div2Cup would see newly promoted Metropolitan FC coming down from Div 1 to play Bingers, and Richmond FC to play Shaheen.

With Shaheen having become Shaheen FC Faly A, and Metropolitan clearly gearing up for a Div 1 push, I wonder if there are roster implications in these cup games? Bingers and Richmond were underdogs as it is, and had strong cup runs - shouldn't they get to play against the 2020 version of these clubs? Remains to be seen.

It is sounding as though the 'Covid Cup' (award for worst name goes to...) format will take place. Details are to come, but some sort of Round Robin Group Play, followed by re-seeding and knockout matches looks to be the format. Then in the new year, the 2021 Cup would be played using a Group Play format as well, instead of straight knockout like in years past. Teams will be guaranteed at least 13 games, with a max of 18 games as things look now. No promotions or relegation.

Other new rules - indirect kick ins with no run ups replace throw ins.
Unlimited subs at all levels.
Some sort of coughing/spitting/sneezing rule requiring you to sit a minimum of 15% of the game on the bench if you do any of those things (can't wait to see the VMSL refs monitor that one)

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
My understanding is 2020 cups will be played with 2019/2020 season rosters. If guys have moved on from last season and aren't willing/able to come play the cup games for you, then it's tough titties.

Cue the team's begging for "replacement players"

Well Well

Feb 23, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
My understanding is 2020 cups will be played with 2019/2020 season rosters. If guys have moved on from last season and aren't willing/able to come play the cup games for you, then it's tough titties.

Cue the team's begging for "replacement players"
That is incredibly stupid, even for the VMSL. Players that no longer play for your team being asked to play in the cup?

TC3

Sep 11, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is incredibly stupid, even for the VMSL. Players that no longer play for your team being asked to play in the cup?

Part of what makes this really stupid is the stakes - especially in Div 2. Like what would you win? If you make the final of the Div 2 Cup, you earn a spot in provincials.

Metropolitan and Shaheen have already done that with their Div 2 19/20 league positions.

Also, the Provincials are cancelled anyway - right?

I guess winning the cup itself would be cool - but at this point, did any of these four remaining teams think that these games would be played?

Couple this with the fact that you'll need to create a whole separate 'covid cohort' of 4 teams just to play two games.

Dumb.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is somebody joking or this new cup is really called "Casual Covid Cup"?

A cohort of 4 teams is obviously a try to mimic a bubble created in pro sport but it simply does not make a lot of sense to me since amateurs have to go home (work, school) after every game while pros are in a hotel, get tested every day, do not go anywhere else beside a hotel and an arena, etc. Any amateur competition will be shut down immediately when the first case of this virus is officially reported.

Anyway, if this "cohorting" is done to find a way for amateurs to play somehow then fine. But, I heard from couple of sources that some soccer rules will be changed too so apparently there will be no throw ins (they will be replaced by kick ins) and no headers!? Can anyone confirm if that indeed is the case?
If it is then definitely somebody at that organization Via Sport had too much time on their hands and came up with those rule changes.
How hard would be to have some type of sanitizer at the field so players have to wipe their hands, then eventually wipe the ball every 15 minutes or so, etc. instead of changing the rules so there are no throw ins or headers. Hopefully those soccer rules changes are just a rumour.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyway, if this "cohorting" is done to find a way for amateurs to play somehow then fine. But, I heard from couple of sources that some soccer rules will be changed too so apparently there will be no throw ins (they will be replaced by kick ins) and no headers!? Can anyone confirm if that indeed is the case?

No throw-ins - true
No headers - false

If it is then definitely somebody at that organization Via Sport had too much time on their hands and came up with those rule changes.
How hard would be to have some type of sanitizer at the field so players have to wipe their hands, then eventually wipe the ball every 15 minutes or so, etc. instead of changing the rules so there are no throw ins or headers. Hopefully those soccer rules changes are just a rumour.

Actually the rules were designed by somebody at BC Soccer in consultation with ViaSport. ViaSport were the ones who approved them, but not the creators.

Attached are VMSL's implementation of the rules.

Attachments

• VMSL Return to Play Modifications.pdf
    159.9 KB · Views: 19

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Dezza; it is clear now and certainly makes more sense. Kick-ins done from a standing position (no step and/or run ups) with opponent standing 4 yards are a good alternative for throw-ins.

TC3

Sep 11, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
In the spirit of @Canucks4Ever , these are the Div 2 Covid Cup opening weekend completely baseless predictions.

Group A
GFC
vs Westside Juniors
- Gonna take GFC on this one. But right off the bat we get an introduction to the question, "what did COVID do to teams with a lot of Irish fellas?" Did lots of guys from other countries head home during the pandemic? Did things stay largely the same? If they did, GFC wins.

Westcoast Celts vs Rinos Rangers (draw)
- No idea so it's a draw. Looks like VUFC Rangers and Rino's bulldogs are now Rino's Rangers, but they were 2nd and 3rd last in Div 2. Celts had a good season in Div 3, so this should be close.

Group B
Marpole Tropics
vs InterEDCBb1#1Academy (great name)
- Marpole wins because their team name is less stupid.

BCT Hurricanes vs Sarajevo
- Sarajevo is now 'NVFC Lions (ex Sarajevo)'. There's no way that becoming part of NVFC made them worse. BCT Hurricanes seem to have trouble getting organized year in and year out.

Group C
Astro FC vs MAFC (draw)
- This game is tied because both teams are tied in terms of the question "...who the fcuk are they?" Astro started fast last year then did their Astro thing, staying around in Div 2. MAFC (seems to be) some 'fallen off the fruit wagon' version of the MAFC team that reached Prem. Maybe the dudes in Prem know more, but there doesn't seem to be any information on where this div 2 MAFC team has come from.

FC Romania vs SFC Temple A
SFC got third and Div 3, and Romania knows how to play Div 2 level ball, despite their record. SFC lost to GFC last year 5 - 1 in the cup, so the standard will be to much of a challenge.

Group D
Twin Arrows
vs Richmond FC Olympics
- A classic Div 2 matchup here. This could be a 6 - 5 win for either team. Flipping a coin.

Bombastic FC A vs Vancouver Harps
- Our second instance of the Irish players question! Harps tried so hard to win div 2 last year, and didn't. How they ended up in a group with Bombastic, Twin Arrows and Richmond is hard to understand. They'll win, and Bombastic draws the short straw of being the first team to get poked in the butt with a finger.

Group E
Gastown FC vs VUFC Snipers
- Not sure if this Snipers team is the Snipers from last year. If the Gastown team is the Gastown team from last year, it could be a rough one, though I wouldn't surprise to see a 2 - 1 Snipers win.

Meraloma A vs France FC
- Over 3 years, France FC hasn't gotten promoted to Div 2, and hasn't faired well against Div 2 opposition. Meraloma was a power house last year, and may be again. Wouldn't surprise me to see FFC 'au fond de' Group E

Group F
13th Legion vs Siaron
- This will be closer than 13th Legion thinks, and I think this will be the first 'upset' of the Group sessions.

Strathcona vs West Van FC B
- The third and final instalment of the Irish question - Strathcona proved to be a good team last year, with one of the top goal scorers in div 2. Expect them to start with a W.

Let's start the insanity.

Don_Revie

Jan 30, 2020
Tokens
Dirty Money
Meraloma A vs France FC
- Over 3 years, France FC hasn't gotten promoted to Div 2, and hasn't faired well against Div 2 opposition. Meraloma was a power house last year, and may be again. Wouldn't surprise me to see FFC 'au fond de' Group E

Thanks for the predictions, it's always nice to read them. Not really close for this one though!

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This might be common knowledge to most, but what exactly is happening once all the group games are completed? Winner of their group moves on to a knock out style, win or go home game versus another group winner?

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am just guessing that after all games in a "cohort group" are played, the next (different) "cohort group" (with 4 teams that did not play yet against each other) will be formed and then those teams will play against each other and so on until all games are played in Cohort Cup division (changed now from Covid Cup to Cohort Cup as per VMSL web page).
This is just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts