Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL DIV 2] Predictions, Results and Banter 2015/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do they really save money installing turf? Each install costs about $1million, and the lifetime of those turfs realistically is about 8 years. Point Grey Secondary's turf is around that age, and it is like playing on concrete now.
So is it really $125K/year to maintain a grass field?

Admittedly the # of hours the turf fields can be used is higher than the grass ones, but they are also charging us 2-3x as much to use them. So who's really winning? The turf companies!

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Turf companies are making quite a bit of money, but there is no doubt that it saves money and resources for the cities. To keep a good soccer field in bad weather is insanely expensive and sometimes it can be used only twice a day.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The problem with the lifespan and supposed money-saving of the turf fields in the lower mainland is that the cities/municipalities do not maintain them properly!

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Regs, have you seen a turf field somewhere that has been properly maintained? How good is it after 2 years? 4 years? 6 years? Anywhere close to when it was originally built?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No I haven't really... every turf field I've seen after 3 years in use is pretty much done, no where close to the supposed 8 year mark. They resemble the first 'public' turf field installed in Vancouver that I had the 'pleasure' of playing on back in the mid to late 80s at Eric Hamber... basically indoor/outdoor carpeting on a cement base and instead of rubber, filled with gravel :)

How long did it take Burnaby to finally replace the pitches at Burnaby Lake? Pretty close to the 10 year mark if I recall correctly.

Supersub

Sep 23, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
No I haven't really... every turf field I've seen after 3 years in use is pretty much done, no where close to the supposed 8 year mark. They resemble the first 'public' turf field installed in Vancouver that I had the 'pleasure' of playing on back in the mid to late 80s at Eric Hamber... basically indoor/outdoor carpeting on a cement base and instead of rubber, filled with gravel :)

How long did it take Burnaby to finally replace the pitches at Burnaby Lake? Pretty close to the 10 year mark if I recall correctly.

Burnaby lake was like concrete for years.

It's nice how we now have to share a practice time with 4 other teams on a articial turf or not even get a practice time while there is a lit grass field that I have never been seen being used.

Astro FC

Sep 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any scores from today?

Astro 2-3 Greencaps

Great game down at Jericho (unless you are with Astro) they went in 2-0 up at half time and we fought back in the 2nd half winning with a penalty 5 minutes from time.

Should probably add 'Joseph Salazar' up on the ol' weebly page under leading scorers next to Buckley and Cullinane, as an unfortunate own goal brought Greens to 2 - 2. Looking forward to the winter rematch.

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Meraloma lost 3-4 at "home" (Trillium, really a neutral venue) to Richmond Olympics. First points of the season for Olympics.

Title hopes starting to fade quickly for Meraloma unless they can be more consistent. Their "westside derby" at Jericho against Astro FC next weekend should be a cracker.

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
GFC United Lions 2-7 Squamish FC

The most goals that had been scored in a match by one team in Division 2B had, until this point, been a modest three.

The gauntlet appears to have been dropped.

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Astro 3-6 (1-5 HT) Meraloma

Point Grey-Kitsilano derby! Oooooh arrrrrr!

One-way traffic during most of the first half. Tempers flared early in the second half and Astro had a player sent off for over-ambitious handbags.

Despite having the man-advantage, Meraloma conceded more than they scored in the second half. Understandably, Meraloma's urgency was fairly muted during the last 45 minutes.

Meraloma now three points ahead of Astro.

CQbj8C7U8AArXpr.jpg

CQbj-79UAAAeWEZ.jpg

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby Selects White Eagles 0 - Greencaps 3
I was running an errand, and went to see the second half. Burnaby had only 7 players on the field, but the Greens could only score one goal. Many of the players were underage or very young from the Burnaby side. I think that they started with 11, but the young kids started to walk away from the field one by one.
I was a bit dissapointed by the level of the Greencaps, but perhaps they were just playing to the level of the opposition given that it was clear that they got 3 points.

In my opinion, Norvan is still the favourite in this group. They are not as strong as their summer team, but they will be get promoted unless other teams start to get points from them.

Burnaby White Eagles should be relegated given what I saw on the game today. It was very poor play, and team seems fractured and demoralized.

I saw Astro playing Norvan, and actually Astro was ahead and playing better for a while. However, they fell asleep and got scored twice to lose the game. The last goal was a nice header in the last minute of play.

In summary, by process of elimination
Serbia, Twin, Punjab, Richmond, Astro to be on the bottom half of the table.
Meraloma, Greencaps, and GN are relatively strong for the division. However, not strong enough to consistently dominate the other teams.

These leaves Tanoa and the Snipers as candidates. I have not seen them play. Perhaps these are the only two teams that can challenge Norvan. Has anyone seen the Snipers or Tanoa play?

georgeybest7

Oct 5, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tanoa is good going forward especially on the counter they spread the field and put balls in behind. That being said everything goes through Milad this level is too easy for him that being said with some good coaching they are easily beatable.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank you. We will see how things will turn out with Tanoa.
Our game with Richmond Olympics was relatively easy. They have some big guys, but they could not keep possession of the ball. Perhaps we were lucky, and they did not bring their best players and game on this day. It was 1-0 at the end. I saw them playing with Meraloma the week before and they had a much better game.

Looking forward to play Astro FC. It will not be easy, they are much better than what the results show. They should have won their game with Norvan. Perhaps they forgot to defend after they got the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts