Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL Div 1] Predictions, Results & Banter 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucsk4ever,

If it is going to make you feel better, please, by all means, add in front of every sentence I ever wrote “In my opinion” or “I think”.

Maybe may wording sounds too harsh to you but I wish I had time to compose every sentence that way so everyone is happy with it.

I did hear some nice things about the new Board so my comments were and are NOT against the Board; absolutely not. It is you who is constantly implying that because of my choice of words (Ok, maybe my choice of words was not appropriate, I’ll give you that).

I said and will repeat:

I do not think that anyone in VMSL Board is a moron; on the contrary, I know that those people are volunteers trying to help community and that is very much appreciated.
I heard some nice things about the new Board and that is a (subjective) fact worth mentioning.
My comments (read recommendations for some rule changes) are NOT against the Board; I heard from quite a few people that this new Board is very open for suggestions; at the end, it is in their best interest too to run the league smoothly.
I had best intention in my mind when I proposed (here on TTP) some rule changes. Any change I proposed (here on TTP) are meant to actually help the Board.

Hopefully we cleared the bad air now when the windows are completely open.

I don’t want to annoy you or anybody else by repeating all changes I already recommended but I never commented before, I think, on yellow card accumulation (that somebody mentioned) so I am going to say this about that rule: Totally insane (in my opinion)! Make it simple: You sit one game after 3 yellow cards! Simple. Effective. Less administrative work.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hopefully we cleared the bad air now when the windows are completely open.

I don’t want to annoy you or anybody else by repeating all changes I already recommended but I never commented before, I think, on yellow card accumulation (that somebody mentioned) so I am going to say this about that rule: Totally insane (in my opinion)! Make it simple: You sit one game after 3 yellow cards! Simple. Effective. Less administrative work.
Great!

Now that this is all cleared up let's talk yellow cards.

The rule USED to be that three yellow cards was a suspension, period (and then 5 and 6 etc.). That rule changed roughly three seasons ago (and, if I recall, was spearheaded by Rino's but happy to be proven wrong on that if it is the case).

The idea was that cup games are obviously one and done if you lose, so to have a potentially crucial player suspended for amassing three yellow cards over the 18 or 19 games that preceded cup play seemed harsh. It also meant that teams going on longer cup runs had the potential to have players suspended for receiving a card in a cup game and then missing a potentially crucial league game.

So it was discussed and voted in by the membership.

Would be interesting now after a few seasons to see if people prefer this system or would prefer to go back to the old way.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I *think* @FC Red Star is actually proposing that a suspension is levied on every 3rd yellow card.

i.e. suspended after 3,6,9,12, etc cards

I think most teams are happy to have separation between league/cup caution accumulations

My proposal for the yellow card accumulations would be to have some kind of amnesty.

Either:

After a certain date (Christmas?) everyone's count resets to 0

OR

Every player gets a once per season good behaviour bonus which is X number of games without a card will reduce your card count by 1

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dezza,

Yes, thank you, that is exactly what I meant. You sit one game after 3 yellow cards (then after 6th, 9th, and so on).

Whether yellow cards should be separated between the competitions or not is something to think about. It is easier to administer cards if they are not separated but we are talking about different competitions so, in my opinion, they should be separated.

When it comes to yellow cards there is also a difference who you get to ref your games. Some guys pull cards so easily while some manage the game differently and often show no cards at all. Just for this reason alone, current yellow cards accumulation (sit after 3rd then after 5th, in total, then after every yellow card simply does not make a lot of sense to me).

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I totally agree about yellow cards in league games
Get 3 yellows sit a game then reset
No more sitting a game after 5 total yellows and every yellow after sit a game
Way to easy for mostly back line players who seem to accumulate more than others
Or at least reset after Xmas break
I will try to get this voted on at next AGM

soccer8

Jan 19, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yellow cards system is a joke. Just a money racket you only have 22 games in the season and they want to fine you for 3 yellows and then 2 more your fined again. The rates referees hand yellows out in this league is impossible not to get fined and suspended

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Five teams are done for the season and three more wrap things up this week. The only thing left to be decided in Division 1 this season is who will be going up alongside UBC. Burnaby Metro are done for the year and will sit and watch to find out if Westside will catch them or if, after two seasons of coming up short, they will finally make it to Premier.

Completely Baseless Predictions - Make Up Games

Coquitlam Metro Ford Lupi v Rino's Fury
A trip to Coquitlam on a Friday night to play out the string in an otherwise meaningless game for Rino's is likely to leave them potentially short staffed for this match up. It has been a rather below par year for the Fury overall and likely they are keen for a chance to get to the off season and hit the reset button. Lupi have been all but mailing it in to finish off the campaign given that they cannot get promoted. That being said, a win would put them level with second place Burnaby Metro and likely at least force the league's hand in terms of invoking the "one team in Premier rule". To my knowledge this would be the first instance of that rule officially being used on the record, so, perhaps, it might act as a catalyst for changing that rule. A win might also put Lupi in a position to argue for a chance to go up based on a vague interpretation of VMSL Rule 14 that might allow them to play under a non-CMF banner in Premier next season. It is unlikely to work, however, as there are no precedents, the league would have to be at least willing to listen to novel arguments. It is all, of course, moot if Lupi do not beat Rino's, but, for the aforementioned reasons they are definitely the favourites here.

Richmond Hibernian v Westside FC A
Undoubtedly this is the Match of the Week. Primarly because it is literally the only game that matters, but my goodness does it matter. UBC have nothing to play for in this match, having already clinched first place. However, they remain undefeated and that is surely a point of pride. For Westside, they have been given a second chance after their somewhat shocking 4-1 loss to Strikers last weekend. UBC had nothing to play for against their promotion rivals Burnaby Metro two days later, but took care of business with a 2-1 win. That restored Westside's hopes, but this could well be a case of UBC giveth, UBC taketh away as unless the Westsiders can get at least a point out of this match, Burnaby are going up. True last time the team's met it was a draw, but that game was on a Thursday night before Thanksgiving with the USports season still fully underway. Fast forward to March and "Richmond" look to be a much stronger side with a handful of varsity players sprinkled among their ranks. Adding to Westside's plight is the fact that leading scorer Justin Lee has popped up on the hot sheet after picking up a yellow in their loss to Strikers. Westside will surely be desperate, but logically they should have been just as desperate against Strikers and, instead, they fell flat on their face in their worst loss of the season. Despite not needing the points, UBC have shown no signs of slowing down and after they beat Burnaby Metro, it is tough to see how they can be anything other than favourites to get another result in this match.

Vancouver Strikers v GN Sporting
After playing spoiler to Westside last week with an outing reminiscent of the form with which they began the season, Strikers look to have awoken from their hibernation. With Summer League and warmer temperatures on the horizon, the Beach Boys will surely be out to enjoy themselves in their final league game of the campaign. GN lost at home, again, last week, with relegation threatened NorVan claiming the points they needed in a 3-0 win. Tough to know how GN are appraoching games at the minute, considering that the week before they beat Lupi in Coquitlam 2-1 when they also had nothing to play for other than pride. This one is basically an exhibition game so no reason to dwell on it. Call it a draw.

Sunday League Gaffer

Oct 23, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yellow cards system is a joke. Just a money racket you only have 22 games in the season and they want to fine you for 3 yellows and then 2 more your fined again. The rates referees hand yellows out in this league is impossible not to get fined and suspended
Can anyone explain to me how one player on Westside Sierra got 13 yellow cards.... Honestly can't be the refs... They might of set a record for cards this season.

Opening Fixtures

Sep 7, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yellow cards...now THERE'S an area where you might well have some clamoring. The difficulty being that I am guessing that a decent amount of the VMSL budget comes from those fines and if they are reduced then the league may need to offset that in another area.

Fines from suspensions probably feed the VMSL budget.
Players want to play more games because watching from the bleachers is no fun!
Surely there is a way to keep both parties happy!

In almost every other league in the world, and even in those closer to home (CIS, NCAA, etc.), a player must accumulate 5 yellow cards before receiving a suspension for yellow card accumulation. Why not apply the same to the VMSL where each team (at least in Div. 1 and Prem) plays 22 league games? In the CIS, I believe that UBC plays 16 league games. In the NCAA, I believe that SFU play 18 (can't be bothered to check for certainty). The level of the VMSL, in my opinion, is increasing. The speed of play is certainly increasing. This is going to lead to more missed tackles, poor decisions, etc., that could possibly result in yellow cards. I am sure that most, if not all, players would be ecstatic about having to get 5 yellow cards before being suspended.

Now, if revenue from fines goes towards the VMSL budget, the VMSL should be able to administer fines without suspensions. Currently, a one game suspension is a $20 fine. If you receive 5 yellow cards, in the current system, you will pay $40 in fines and miss two matches.

Why not put a system in place where a one game suspension is administered after a player receives 5 yellow cards, but fines are in place along the way? For example, once a player receives 3 yellow cards, they have to pay a $20 fine. Once that same player receives their 5th yellow card, they have to pay a $30 fine, and they are suspended for one match.

In the above system, after 5 yellow cards:
Player - Misses one match
VMSL - Receives $50 in fines.

In the current system, after 5 yellow cards:
Player - Misses two matches
VMSL - Receives $40 in fines.

Yes, the player is paying an extra $10 in fines in the "new" system, but I am sure that players would happily pay an extra $10 in exchange for being able to play in at least one more game! $10 is only the price of one pint at a Donnelly bar anyways!

If the league is worried about the 3rd yellow card fine not being paid, no problem! If you don't pay the fine before your next game, your player card doesn't show up on the list online (if that is how it works) and you are unable to play in the next match. That should be enough incentive to pay off the fine.

If the league is worried about players getting carried away and whacking people left and right because they know that there is a higher threshold, add a disciplinary hearing when a player receives their 5th yellow card.

At the end of the day, the players get to play more games and the VMSL collects the same, possibly more, revenue. Everyone is happy!

..........The End

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Definitely a decent solution.

One issue that this will come up against is that VMSL is governed BC Soccer's discipline policy, which currently mandates a suspension after 3 yellows.

No that it cannot be overcome, but it will be a hurdle. There is plenty in that BC Soccer document that the VMSL is given discretion on though, so likely some wiggle room, but just a heads up that this could balloon into a wider ranging issue.

Sunday League Gaffer

Oct 23, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seeing on the great website Westside A are stuck in div.1 for another year unless they can pull another rabbit out of the hat with a protest and gain some points . Stay tinned I am sure they will look to a game in September to gain points

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seeing on the great website Westside A are stuck in div.1 for another year unless they can pull another rabbit out of the hat with a protest and gain some points . Stay tinned I am sure they will look to a game in September to gain points
Gotta say...pretty big about face from you on Westside. You began this season by singing their praises.

I'm sure you don't care, but, for the record Westside themselves had nothing to do with Burnaby being docked points. From what I understand they were as surprised as anybody. Certainly no "protest" or anything like that.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that at the end of the day the right team is going up. Burnaby Metro finished second regardless of the points deduction and have been building towards this for a number of seasons.

Congrats to them and UBC and good luck at the next level. From what I have seen, they will definitely need it!

Nov 25, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gotta say...pretty big about face from you on Westside. You began this season by singing their praises.

I'm sure you don't care, but, for the record Westside themselves had nothing to do with Burnaby being docked points. From what I understand they were as surprised as anybody. Certainly no "protest" or anything like that.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that at the end of the day the right team is going up. Burnaby Metro finished second regardless of the points deduction and have been building towards this for a number of seasons.

Congrats to them and UBC and good luck at the next level. From what I have seen, they will definitely need it!

I don't buy this for a second. There have been so many incidences in this season alone that the league could AND SHOULD have taken action against on their own without the need of any protests. However, they chose to turn a blind eye to those incidences. But they decided to take action against Burnaby Metro, and not just within a reasonable time after that game was played. The actions taken against them (first a fine, and then points deduction) were done when it was clear that Westside had a chance to clinch promotion.

Say what you want, but the chain of events that occurred along with the leagues sh*te reputation for dealing with issues makes it impossible to believe that the league suddenly decided to take proper action on their own with this case.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't buy this for a second. There have been so many incidences in this season alone that the league could AND SHOULD have taken action against on their own without the need of any protests. However, they chose to turn a blind eye to those incidences. But they decided to take action against Burnaby Metro, and not just within a reasonable time after that game was played. The actions taken against them (first a fine, and then points deduction) were done when it was clear that Westside had a chance to clinch promotion.

Say what you want, but the chain of events that occurred along with the leagues sh*te reputation for dealing with issues makes it impossible to believe that the league suddenly decided to take proper action on their own with this case.
I have spoken to both league and Westside sources on this one.

Westside were stunned to wake up one day and see the table altered with a points deduction to Burnaby Metro. Much more shocked to see that it stemmed from a game against them personally and a game they had won no less. They never filed a protest and had no clue that Burnaby had allegedly made six subs in the match. They won the game and moved on.

Per the league: the reason there was such a delay in the announcement of the points deduction was that Burnaby Metro were fighting/appealing the decision internally. The story I heard was that Burnaby claimed they had written a sixth sub slip that somehow got given to the referee by accident, however they assert that they never actually made a sixth sub on the field.

In both the FASA case in Premier and the Burnaby Metro case, the league apparently took action as soon as they received the sub slips from the referee.

Sunday League Gaffer

Oct 23, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have spoken to both league and Westside sources on this one.

Westside were stunned to wake up one day and see the table altered with a points deduction to Burnaby Metro. Much more shocked to see that it stemmed from a game against them personally and a game they had won no less. They never filed a protest and had no clue that Burnaby had allegedly made six subs in the match. They won the game and moved on.

Per the league: the reason there was such a delay in the announcement of the points deduction was that Burnaby Metro were fighting/appealing the decision internally. The story I heard was that Burnaby claimed they had written a sixth sub slip that somehow got given to the referee by accident, however they assert that they never actually made a sixth sub on the field.

In both the FASA case in Premier and the Burnaby Metro case, the league apparently took action as soon as they received the sub slips from the referee.
Why is the league talking to you? Isn't this an internal issue?? Glad to see the league is keeping up standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts