Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL Div 1] Predictions, Results & Banter 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leblue

Oct 25, 2018
Tokens
Dirty Money
How is it possible that VAFC Santos and Burnaby Metro are sharing the same coaches , while playing in the same Division?

Leblue

Oct 25, 2018
Tokens
Dirty Money
GN Sporting 1-2 Richmond
Westside Sierra 1-1 Norvan
Strikers 1-0 Lupi
Inter EDC "B" 2-0 Greencaps
Rinos 5-0 Santos
Burnaby Metro 1-0 Westside

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Campo turning into this level of shite has to be the funniest and most satisfying thing to happen in the last few years in VMSL.

On the flipside, they were also the best thing to happen in the VMSL in some time imo. They went from div3 to Prem and did it without the big names,mergers,money. A true underdog story. Who doesn't like that?

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
They were paying players.

I guess that was the rumour back in the day. But who on their roster was worth paying? Also, did any of us even know who any of those players were...I mean, there weren't any stars on their roster. That's what I thought anyways. Their best player was Castro who before joining Campo I personally knew nothing about. He played in the FVSL?? haha

All I'm saying is that it was nice to see a new team come from the bottom and reach the top and with relatively unknown players. Premier has usually been a revolving door of the same teams going up and down from Prem and not many new teams ever break in(without big name signings,mergers etc). Still early days but Strikers are having a good start to the season. That would be another real feel good story!

Sunday League Gaffer

Oct 23, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess that was the rumour back in the day. But who on their roster was worth paying? Also, did any of us even know who any of those players were...I mean, there weren't any stars on their roster. That's what I thought anyways. Their best player was Castro who before joining Campo I personally knew nothing about. He played in the FVSL?? haha

All I'm saying is that it was nice to see a new team come from the bottom and reach the top and with relatively unknown players. Premier has usually been a revolving door of the same teams going up and down from Prem and not many new teams ever break in(without big name signings,mergers etc). Still early days but Strikers are having a good start to the season. That would be another real feel good story!
Up from the bottom to the top and back to the bottom.... I think that was a song

Leblue

Oct 25, 2018
Tokens
Dirty Money

Very surprising that not one of their players that played for their premier team was picked up by any other premier teams.....

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week 4 is shaping up to be a real mover and shaker in Div. 1. The top two teams play each other, the teams tied for third play each other and fifth plays sixth. They are all important six-pointers at the top of the table and, given at least three of the top six are guaranteed to drop points this week, it is almost like some sort of "nine-pointer". The table is all but guaranteed to look different come Sunday night. How much different? Let's find out...

Completely Baseless Predictions - Week 5

GN Sporting v Richmond Hibernian
Without a doubt this is the MOTW given that the two 4-0-0 teams meet to decide who gets to sit alone atop the table. Of course there is always the possibility that they split the points and both remain tied for first place, but what fun is that? UBC's dominance of the league has been plain to see given their +14 goal differential through four matches. However, it is worth noting that, aside from newly promoted Striker who they played in Week 1, their points have come off sides in the bottom six of the early table. It is clear that "Richmond" are definitely the class of the league in the early going, but another factor to consider is that all their matches to this point have been local as well. They have played at Jericho and Point Grey plus had two home games at fields on campus. It will be interesting to see what kind of team they are able to take South of the river on a Friday night. All reports put their two leading scorers, Sebastian Dzikowski (7) and James Graham (5) as premier calibre players. Rumour has it Mosher has told them that he "never plays first years," although the veracity of that comment might be up for some debate. Dzikowski is purportedly a proper big bodied number nine from Alberta with deceptive speed and great touch, especially in and around goal. He will be a handful for any team at this level, though you wonder how keen he is to be spending his weekends trudging around the Lower Mainland playing in the VMSL instead of off with the USports squad. Regardless, at full strength there is clearly all but no stopping UBC. As for GN, they are surely beginning to get that "team of destiny" feeling. Late goals, penalties for them, red cards for the other teams, it is all going their way through the early stages of the campaign. They will come into this match with no feel, especially being at home. Given UBC's current form, there is simply no betting against them. I would not bother telling that to the GN guys though, they will be geared right up for this one.

Vancouver Strikers v Coquitlam Metro Ford Lupi
It has been a great start for Vancouver Strikers as they are the cliche "newly promoted high flyers" to find themselves in the upper echelons of the Div. 1 table early in the season. That being said, aside from UBC, to whom they lost handily on the opening weekend, Strikers have not exactly had the toughest of schedules to begin the year. True, you can only beat the team in front of you on the day, and for the past three weeks they have done exactly that, but there are certainly much stiffer tests on the horizon. Coquitlam also had the benefit of easing into the season by playing the current bottom two teams. Since then they have lost to Westside, but beaten Burnaby Metro. It is looking like Lupi will be a competent upper mid-table side this season capable of taking points of anybody on any given day. Ironically, after leading Division 1 for the first half of the season last year with virtually no chance of earning promotion, the early struggles of Wolves in Premier might actually give Lupi the faint hope of being able to go up this season. Of course no one actually expects Metro Ford to drop out of Prem, though we have said that about other teams before. Irrespective of that, Lupi do not, at least through the first month of the season, look like a team that will be knocking on the door at the top of the league, though they have done enough to climb into an early third place and another win this week could put them on the precipice of the promotion places. That being said, it is a long trek from the Tri Cities to Jericho and Strikers will be bullish about their chances in this one. Lupi are in good form at well though and are probably slight favourites, but I am going to say these sides split the points.

Westside FC Sierra v NorVan Storm
Both of these sides have got off to decent starts with four points to their names. Sierra's two losses have come to the top two though, while NorVan has dropped points to much more mid-table sides. Sierra are coming off a tough test against UBC and it was made even tougher by the fact that they were without the influential Matias Guedes who was suspended. He returns for this match, though the former BMSL side have now got Ahmed Musa on the naughty list. NorVan, however, have a pair of names ineligible this week with both Nicholas Agnoloni and David O'Connor sitting this one out. It might look as though this one is a saw off, but I think, based on the strength of schedule so far that Siearra are slight favourites.

Club Inter EDC Burnaby v Vancouver Greencaps
A charity win over Santos last week was enough to get Inter off the mark for the season. However, it does little to paper over the blatant cracks in their side up until that win. Greencaps too would like to get their season off the mark as they are also mired at the bottom without a point. As it looks like both of these sides will struggle to pick up results on a regular basis, this fixture has definitely taken on extra emphasis as a relegation six-pointer. If Inter can pull off a second win in a row, they will be six points up on Greencaps, with the Irish lads still to face the top sides in the division. That being said, take the 8-1 win out of Inter's record and they would have less goals for and more against than the Vancouver boys. This feels like a pair of well matched teams, but it still difficult to believe Greencaps are struggling this much. I has to think they get their first win of the season here.

Rino's Fury v VAFC Santos
Finally a first win of the year was put on the board last week for Rino's when they beat NorVan 3-0. The same cannot be said for Santos who, after yet another off the field reshuffle, were smashed 8-1 by Inter who had also come into that game without a point to their name. There is a rock bottom somewhere down there but, unfortunately for them, it does not look as though Santos have found it just yet. It used to be that a Santos/Campo clash with Rino's brought out some great hype and all sorts of parables about good against evil. Now, it feels like there is not much to analyze in this one.

Burnaby Metro Selects v Westside FC A
Another intriguing match up here with the promotion battle beginning to take shape. Westside nearly through the first wrench into the program last week, but a last minute goal by GN saw them come away with nothing. Burnaby Metro looked like they had recovered well from their Week 1 draw with NorVan and were poised to sit alone, right on the heels of the top two, ready to pounce, but then they went and lost 3-1 to Lupi last time out. With at least one of the top two guaranteed to drop points this week, both these sides will know how important maximum points of their own this week will be. It sets up as a top contest, but I do not think there is even remotely a clear favourite. The first goal in this match is likely to be of great importance and the whole game sets up as a giant coin toss. I could see either side winning this match, so, instead, I will turtle and say neither of them do.

18to18

Oct 28, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saw their last 2 games. They are nothing special, would be a bottom feeder in prem. Div 1 is just surprisingly weak this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0