Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL Div 1] Predictions, Results & Banter 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Totally agree....Harps are pretty bad as well. Like Machel said, I wonder what Harps and Greencaps have in common....
To be honest....I do not mind the Harps and Greencaps. It is just another expression of the game. The problem is that here players are usually pampered and do not know how to handle that type of game. It is an important expression in the diverse cultures of football. I personally really admire their tenacity and enjoy very much all the the games that I coached against both teams. Yes, I would poke at them, but I domrespect their attitude towards the game.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
To be honest....I do not mind the Harps and Greencaps. It is just another expression of the game. The problem is that here players are usually pampered and do not know how to handle that type of game. It is an important expression in the diverse cultures of football. I personally really admire their tenacity and enjoy very much all the the games that I coached against both teams. Yes, I would poke at them, but I domrespect their attitude towards the game.

I know you've been out of the game for a while but this is what you said about Harps in your cup game in 2016...
"and just be aware that this time we have assistant referees and bringing like 60+ supporters. So do not even try to start another mass brawl or engage in your dirty fouls behind the referee. People will be watching you!"

and then...

We are ready to eliminating the Harps. This will give me more joy than eliminating Rinos.

That really does mean something considering the war of words between you and the Rinos crew.

All good my friend. Nice to see you back. haha

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know you've been out of the game for a while but this is what you said about Harps in your cup game in 2016...
"and just be aware that this time we have assistant referees and bringing like 60+ supporters. So do not even try to start another mass brawl or engage in your dirty fouls behind the referee. People will be watching you!"

and then...

We are ready to eliminating the Harps. This will give me more joy than eliminating Rinos.

That really does mean something considering the war of words between you and the Rinos crew.

All good my friend. Nice to see you back. haha
Of course...I said that during Cup Competitions....What did you want me to do? Come here and prop their confidence by expressing that I admire their tenacity and fighting spirit. Trash talk is a very important weapon in competitions. It is part of the entertainment factor.
I must add that in those games; the provocations worked well. They came quite riled up to the field and the yellow and red cards came up quite quickly.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It seems like we have had a case of tag in/tag out in terms of the promotion race. Columbus have come roaring back to relevance, while GN seem to have hit a bit of a blip. The Surrey boys will have some extra time to reflect on their recent thumping as their game with Greencaps has been pushed out past the long weekend, leaving us only a five game slate for this week. Coquitlam are, of course, still a factor at the top and they don't look like they will be dropping many points this season. The next two weeks will likely provide us some clarity however, as Columbus will play both of the top two.

Completely Baseless Predictions - Week 10

Romania v Westside
So much for not being able to score. Westside exploded for seven against former league leaders GN Sporting last weekend and gave themselves a much needed boost in goal difference. More importantly they also earned three valuable points that proved much needed based on other results at the bottom of the table. The recently relegated side are still a ways off challenging at the top of the table, but, given their league best defense, if they have sorted out the offensive side of the ball, they should have a chance to make up some ground. After a run of three solid results to move clear of the drop zone, Romania reverted to old habits as they were well beaten, 6-1, by surging Columbus. Given Westside's stingy defense, if they are able to put the ball in the net at anywhere near the same rate as last week, they should be favourites here. Certainly if Romania are back to bleeding goals it would seem a daunting task.

NorVan Storm v Club EDC Inter
The misery persisted for NorVan last weekend with another loss, this time to newly promoted Greencaps. Two more suspensions as well for the North Shore boys and that is not likely to make things any easier. Inter had been toiling somewhat as well heading into their game against Rino's but looked anything like a relegation threatened side in a comfortable 3-0 win. Inter scored in the first minute and never looked back, locking up a victory that moved them six points from the trapdoor. EDC have been anything but consistent with their form, so a dip here, while eye catching, would not be shocking. NorVan have to feel that the time is now or never to get their season back on track with games against Inter and the other side currently in the relegation zone along with them, Bingers, on tap for next week. Expect a motivated performance by the Storm, but given their form to this point of the season, and because of their big win last time out, "Chinter" have to be favourites here.

Burnaby Selects White Eagles v Columbus
Clearly the MOTW as the two side looking the best bet for promotion square off on Sunday. Columbus are charging up the table, still sitting with just the one loss that came on opening day against Rino's. Moreover, that lone loss is the only time all season that they have allowed more than a single goal against in a match. They are chugging along well offensively, especially after a nice 6-1 smashing of Romania in their previous outing. Burnaby, of course, continue to boast the best offense in the league with 24 goals through nine games, though, leading scorer Matlash Vladyslav only has five on the year, so the White Eagles are clearly getting contributions from throughout the line up. More importantly, so far this season the former Serbians seem to be doing a better job of keeping the ball out of their own net, which was the area that held them back last year. With Metro Ford unable to be promoted, Burnaby currently enjoy a five point cushion on promotion. Columbus is now getting closer in the rear view however, and, while it likely makes little difference to White Eagles who ultimately gets hypothetically promoted along side them, they will want to win this one in order to prevent the rest of the field from gaining any ground back. This one is likely to produce the best contest Division 1 has had to offer to this point this season and, based on the teams goal scoring records, it would appear unlikely that it will end scoreless. Should be some good entertainment value in this one but as for a winner, I am going to turtle here and say they ultimately end up cancelling each other out and splitting the points.

Rino's Fury v Bingers Army
Two longtime rivals duke it out again, though, at this point, surely both sides have lost track of the aggregate score from over the years. Bingers once more find themselves in a relegation scrap, a 2-1 loss to Metro Ford last Wednesday did nothing to help their situation. It is far from panic stations for the Army at this point but, with Romania looking less than dead and Inter mixing in some points, it is likely time for the Div. 1 veterans to spring into action. Rino's are their usual unpredictable selves, emphasized by a 3-0 loss to average at best to this point of the season Inter last time out. This was their first loss in since the beginning of October however, so "tough to get a read on" would be putting it lightly. It really seems to depend what type of squad at what sort of mood Rino's show up with from week to week. They should be well motivated against Bingers though, not want to drop local bragging rights. The Army will have no fear of their rivals either though, knowing them all to well after countless years. Who takes overall match #768 in all competitions between Rino's and the Army? Who knows? Binger's have be having a tough go of late and it is not quite desperate times just yet, so give this one to the home side.

Coquitlam Metro Ford Lupi v Burnaby Metro Athletic
Ironically Coquitlam are everything Burnaby would like to be. Top of the league, without a loss and cruising toward a promotion place with their fate entirely in their own hands. The cruel irony, of course, being that Coquitlam cannot get promoted. Still just those three lonely wins from September on the board for Athletic as they sink further and further week after week out of contention for the top two (or three as it seems likely to be...) places. Last week they were well off the pace in a 4-2 against local rivals, and promotion contenders, Burnaby White Eagles; going down 3-0 before desperately trying to make a game of it. Things are not set to get any easier at all this week against the other co-leaders in the Division, Metro Ford. A pair of mid-week Eric Dove goals gave Coquitlam yet another three points in a 2-1 win over Bingers, but also moved Dove further ahead in the Golden Boot race as he is now up to eight in nine games. Another loss this week and Metro Athletic are likely to find themselves closer to the relegation race than the promotion race, which is hardly how they would have envision their season going even just a month ago. While they will obviously be fighting tooth and nail in this one, Metro Ford just seem to have all the answers at the minute. Look for the home side to continue their unbeaten run.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
A short week, plus mid-week games, plus a Friday fixture means it's pretty much non-stop football at the minute in Division 1. More impressively, the league has been thrown into chaos at the top once more and the much hand-wringing about a potential first place team that cannot be promoted, may be off the front burner for at least a week or two. Things have also tightened up at the bottom, so after an opening couple of months with little to get excited about, suddenly Div. 1 looks interesting. Let's see how it shapes up after this weekend.

Completely Baseless Predictions - Week 11

BONUS GAME
Vancouver Greencaps v GN Sporting
It is back to the scene of the crime for GN as, after the weekend off, they return to Point Grey where they were humbled 7-0 by Westside in their last outing. Indeed, in a weird twist, GN will play their forth game of the season at PG, which is as many as they have played at their home park, Delsom. In addition to playing both teams that use it as a home field (Westside and Rino's) they also had their Thanksgiving game against Inter moved there due to field conflicts and will now play during what I assume is Greencap's practice slot. Surely by now they must be thinking this is the only park teams from Vancouver play at! The Surrey side will be looking to even their record at Point Grey having won on their first trip to Kerisdale, 3-0 over Rino's, before losing 2-1 to Inter as well as the aforementioned 7-0. A midweek trip to town is not likely to play in their favour, nor is the fact that they continue to run into disciplinary problems. They had two players sent off against Westside and are still without top scorer Ameet Kaila, upon whom the discipline committee are yet to rule. After sitting top of the table, GN have lost two straight in convincing fashion and might well be on that inevitable slide that seems to follow them around annually. Greencaps are in middling form at the minute, 1-1-1 in their last three and middle-table seems likely to be their destiny. They've also cleaned up their act recently on the discipline side of things and will have everyone available for this match. GN would be smart to put some serious emphasis on stopping the rot as soon as possible, but mid-week away to the city plays way more towards Greencaps. I think the Surrey boys will be happy enough to have finally seen the last of Point Grey after this one.

Binger's Army v NorVan Storm
This is a massive game at the bottom of the table and could likely be MOTW if it were not for an equally massive game at the top of the league. NorVan finally earned their first win of the season, knocking off another struggling side in Inter EDC by a narrow 3-2 margin. Another loss would have essentially made it a three horse race for relegation, but keeping "Chinter" close will make sure there is plenty to play for over the coming week in the bottom reaches of the table. Of immediate concern for NorVan is trying to ride this momentum into the quick turnaround that is Binger's strategically placed Wednesday home games. That being said, the strategy has hardly paid off for the Army thus far, aside from having alternating weekends off to enjoy their retirement lifestyle, given that they sit on just five points. Their veteran status should not be so trivially derided however, as the Army will know that this is a six-pointer and a win here will lift them out of the drop zone until at least the weekend. The issue for Bingers is simply goal scoring as they have only managed a paltry six tallies on the season. Two of those came in their Week 1 draw with Inter, meaning have netted only four goals in their past nine games. Still, the North Shore side need to be the more desperate team in this one as a loss does more damage to them than the Army. Even if Bingers were to slip to the bottom of the table after this one, they would still be within touching distance, but a loss NorVan would mean they once more risk being cut adrift. Despite the desperation that will surely be on display, neither team has delivered much quality yet so far this season, making it tough to pick a winner. Add in the fact that it's a mid-week tie and I think you have all the elements of a draw.

Columbus v Coquitlam Metro Ford Lupi
This on is most definitely the MOTW and likely the Match of the Season so far. Lupi suffered their first league loss in 13 calendar months last week and it was not close either, as they were well beaten, 3-0, by Burnaby Athletic. A pair of goals in as many minutes condemned Coquitlam to their fate and so, for the first time in quite awhile, Metro Ford will look to bounce back this weekend. Unfortunately for them, they are up against red hot Columbus. The Italians beat Coquitlam's co-leaders, Burnaby White Eagles, by a decisive 2-0 margin last week and that, along with Lupi's loss, combined to give Columbus a share of first place. The former East Van side, now operating out of Burnaby Lake, have rebounded from a wobbly start that saw them post just one win in their opening five matches by winning five in a row. That's the kind of streak that Lupi are used to. Columbus have also conceded just one goal in their past four matches and this contest will pit centreback and club captain Adriano Clemente and his co-defenders up against the leagues leading scorer Erik Dove. Burnaby were able to keep Dove in check last week as Coquitlam were held off the scoresheet for the first time this season. If it is true what they say about defense winning championships, then perhaps this is what will prove to be Lupi's Achilles heel. They have kept but one clean sheet this season and, facing off against a resolute Columbus defense that can also get it done at the other end of the field, could well prove to be a bridge too far for the Tri-Cities side. This one should be a cracker though as I cannot imagine Coquitlam will be keen to lose back to back matches; something that I do not think has ever occurred in their existence. After an inauspicious start, Columbus have rounded into form and look to be the best the division has to offer at the moment. I will say their momentum carries them to another massive victory in this one.

Westside v Burnaby Selects White Eagles
The unstoppable force meets the immovable object as the top offense in the league, Burnaby and their 24 goals for over 10 matches, clashes with the best defense to date, Westside and their seven goals against over the same span. Then again the unstoppable force was, in fact, stopped last time out when they ran headlong into a staunch Columbus defense and were handed a 2-0 loss. That result forced White Eagles to give Columbus a share of first place while the rest of the table also closed the gap at the top, making the promotion race all the more interesting. The gap is still healthy however, and with Coquitlam and Rino's unable to go up, a return to winning ways should see Burnaby come away from their slip-up unscathed. Westside, meanwhile, were unable to follow up their offensive windfall during a 7-0 win over GN, however they did find the decisive marker and displayed their patented defense in a 1-0 victory over Romania. The win marks the first time this season that the recently relegated club have managed to win back to back games as they had previously been the kings of the draw. This contest is well poised with two clubs that, based on their statistics, will surely back themselves to be able to come away with all three points in this match. As for a winner, it is tough to imagine Burnaby not scoring for a second week in a row and, absent that one massive goal scoring outburst, the goals have been hard to come by for Westside. Assuming White Eagles have their shooting boots on, it would seem unlikely that Westside would be able to keep up.

Club Inter EDC vs Vancouver Greencaps
Always tough to predict form when one of the sides has a mid-week game, as is the case with Greencaps this week. That being said, the Irish lads have done a good job of taking points of the sides below them in the table, which is where Inter will be regardless of the outcome of Greencaps mid-week tussle with GN. Inter continue to limp through the season, mixing in unpredictable results like wins over Rino and GN when those teams were in form, while slumping to poor losses like their 3-2 reversal at the hand of then winless NorVan last time out. A win there would have given "Chinter" decent breathing room from the relegation battle, but instead they remain on the edge of it with a big rematch against Binger's looming next weekend. These sides should match up well and, indeed it will likely depend on if Greencaps carry momentum into the weekend. Chile have given up 21 goals through 10 matches which will have Greencaps leading scorer Ray Barnes in a good mood, assuming he does not get himself suspended mid-week (though, as noted above Greencaps have been much more disciplined of late). I would expect both teams to score goals in this one, I just think Greencaps will score more.

GN Sporting v Romania
Again, it is difficult to predict what sort of form GN will carry into this one, but, regardless of how their mid-week contest with Greencaps plays out, GN will surely be happy to be back at Delsom with, hopefully, some relief in the way of suspensions having been served by then. Romania have got their act together, minus a brief relapse during a 6-1 thumping by Columbus, but they steadied the ship once more, narrowly losing out 1-0 to Westside last week. They have climbed out of the relegation zone, though with NorVan and Bingers playing mid-week as well it is quite likely that they will find themselves dragged back into it once more come kickoff on Saturday. Very tough to know what to expect out of either team, with Romania not likely keen on an evening kick off in North Delta while GN will be either still sliding or coming off a solid bounce back following their game with Greencaps. If GN win mid-week and get leading scorer Ameet Kaila back for this one, then they will surely be favourites against a travelling Romania side. If not, I still think GN will be up for this one, but an early slip up could really put Romania in the ascendancy. Still, given their form, it is tough to make Romania favourite here. I'll say home field is they tonic that the Surrey/Delta side desperately need and they find a win here one way or another.

Burnaby Metro Athletic v Rino's Fury
Giant slayers Burnaby handed league leaders Lupi their first loss of the season with a convincing 3-0 win last time out. The problem of course for Burnaby as they never wanted to be viewed as giant slayers, coming into this season they wanted to be giants themselves. Instead that victory was Metro's first since they began the season 3-0-0 and snapped a six game winless drought. It also helped keep their fleeting promotion hopes on life support as, thank to other results, they are suddenly back within six points of the top. Rino's avoided being stunned in back to back week by relegation threatened teams, knocking off Binger's by the same 3-0 scoreline that they were on the wrong side of the previous week against Inter. Leading scorer Ryan Arthur finally notched another marker to take his total up to six on the season as he looks to keep pace in the Golden Boot race. Both these teams will expect to be able to find the three points here and, in truth, they are well matched. This is a classic Div. 1 upper mid-table battle that could go either way, likely depending upon what players each side has available to them at the weekend. Flip a coin here. I'll just turtle and call it a draw.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's surely dreamland for the VMSL at the minute because, at the half way point of the season, the two teams slated to be promoted are both eligible to go up! If the second half plays out the same as the first than the league will have dodged a particularly tricky bullet. That being said there is still quite a ways to go, but we should know who the serious contenders are over the next couple of weeks.

Completely Baseless Predictions - Week 12

Binger's Army v Club Inter EDC
A win here for EDC would really help set them up nicely for the second half of the season. It will not necessarily give them great breathing room from the relegation candidates, though that will depend on other results, but it would move them nine points ahead of the Army and potentially seven up on relegation. Similarly, on the flip side, a loss will not irreparably harm Binger's, but it will essentially reduce the potential teams that they can catch for safety to just Romania and NorVan as making up nine points on Inter or anyone else in the field over half a season seems a daunting task. Of course, that would mean the only option for the Army would be to jump both of Romania and NorVan, so you begin to see how a loss here, while not definite in any way, really begins to close off their options. Inter's tepid one step forward and two steps back in terms of results has continued as they come in off the back of a pair of losses. The Army would certainly settle for that form however, as they have lost five on the spin, the latest a 2-1 loss to then last placed NorVan which saw Binger's replace the North Shore side at the foot of the table. The first meeting between these two was a tie and there likely shouldn't be too much between these sides this time around either. If either side can find the decisive marker it will likely prove immense, but it's essentially a coin flip, so I'll call it a draw.

Columbus v Rino's Fury
Now that they sit at the top of the league sharing first place, the Italians have a score to settle. Rino's account for the only loss Columbus have suffered this season, way back in Week 1. Since then it is 10 games unbeaten and now six wins in a row after they swept aside former leaders Coquitlam Metro Ford Lupi 3-0 last week. This team looks like it is on a mission to return to the top flight after two seasons away. It was a slow start to the campaign for Columbus, but nobody else seemed keen on promotion either back in September leaving the once East Van side to capitalize on that apathy and shoot themselves to the top. Rino's are destined to be a mid-table side and play like one, mixing wins with losses but capable of beating any side on their day. It was a loss last time out to Burnaby Metro, so expect them to be ornery, but Columbus look like a run away freight train at the moment and I would not want to be the ones to have to step in front of it.

Westside v Coquitlam Metro Ford Lupi
It was a saw off back in Week 1 when both these sides were new arrivals to the division. Westside were coming down while Lupi were up from Div. 2 and since that meeting it has been the former lower league side that has had the better of things. Metro Ford had a share of first place until last week when the lost for the second week running by an identical 3-0 score line. This is the first time this group has ever lost back to back games, having just a single loss in the preceding twelve month period and a total of roughly five losses all time. Westside have found it tough slogging since their return to the division as they clearly are rebuilding their program. That being said, their 4-0 thumping at the hands of co-leaders Burnaby Selects does appear to be a statistical outlier as it is easily the most goals they have conceded in one game all season and it is the first time they have lost by more than a single goal. Difficult to tell if it was a case of missing personnel on the wrong day or if this is a more accurate representation of the team. It is a similar story for Coquitlam as well at the moment, as we are left to wonder if they were riding a high from Div. 2 and have now crashed down to earth, like so many Div. 2 upstart sides before them, once Div. 1 hits the real meat of the season. In a way, this game sets up much the same as the first meeting between these two teams with much to prove on both sides. I expect another close game, but it is tough to picture Lupi going three games without a win given their record this season and all time, so I will tip them to get back on track.

Vancouver Greencaps v Romania
Greencaps caught Romania not ready to begin the season back in Week 1, so much so that the game was delayed until Wednesday. The postponement did little to help Romania, however, as it actually took them six weeks to get ready to play and Greencaps were more than happy to help themselves to their first ever Division 1 win on their debut. Romania did look to have sorted things out with an important run of three games unbeaten to climb out of the basement, but it has been a return to their early season struggles of late with three straight losses. Two of those defeats were rather lopsided in 6-1 and 7-1 losses to Columbus and GN respectively. However, those results came against teams in the top half and involved arguably the two toughest away trips of the season (Friday night to Burnaby and Saturday night to North Delta). They were much better in a narrow 1-0 loss to mid-table Westside at home. Romania do find themselves away again this week, but it is just down to Trillium for a 4pm kickoff on Saturday which I am guessing will be much more agreeable to the Europeans. Don't expect Greencaps to be agreeable to them though, as the Irishmen look to put up similar results in back half of their inaugural Division 1 as in the front half, thus ensuring survival. Losing to a relegation threatened side certainly would not be a good way to begin that endeavor. Greencaps have bounced back of late from a stretch of four weeks without a win and have now claimed victory in two of their last three. If Romania were coming into this one in the form that saw them go unbeaten a post their only seven points of the campaign I would say it sets up as quite the intriguing contest. As it is though, they come in slumping and looking much more like the team that began the campaign so woefully. Therefore, I expect a similar result to the first meeting between these two sides.

GN Sporting v Burnaby Selects White Eagles
Definite MOTW here as GN sit just two points back of Burnaby who share first place with Columbus. So much for increased discipline for GN, but then again, so much for a slump. A couple of suspensions, 10 goals and six points in the space of four days has reinvigorated the Surrey boys as they look to once more climb to the top of the pile. Back to back losses where they conceded 10 and scored zero had many thinking that GN were about to plummet off a cliff as has happened in previous seasons, but back to back wins have put them back in the hunt and a further win this week would see them leapfrog White Eagles back into a promotion place. It was a definite eyebrow-raiser when GN beat White Eagles 3-2 back in Week 1, but since then both teams have gone on to impressive campaigns. Burnaby responded in style after only their third loss of the season (all three of those losses coming to the other teams that make up the top four along with themselves) by thrashing Westside 4-0. This ensured that Burnaby maintained their league leading offense, as they now have scored 28 goals on the season, one more that GN's 27 after they beat Romania 7-1 at the weekend. The former Serbians will need to improve their record against the other top sides as three more losses in the back half in these six point games at the top could well mean that they stay in Division 1. GN still seem like a bit of a mirage and their recent roller coaster form does little to quell that feeling. A second win over White Eagles would be a real statement of intent. This should be a top contest out in North Delta and it is definitely capable of going either way. I doubt it will be 0-0 either. In terms of a winner, Burnaby just seem to be more consistent and in a better overall form at the minute, plus they cannot afford more losses to their promotion competition so I expect them to be focused going into this one.

Burnaby Metro Athletic v NorVan Storm
Two wins on the spin have resurrected NorVan's survival hopes, however, those wins came against fellow relegation threatened sides. Resurgent Burnaby will be a step up this week, as Metro come in on the heels of two wins in a row as well and have catapulted up to the periphery of the promotion conversation. They have been well off the pace this season, but did win three in a row to begin the year. If they can repeat that form with the schedule turning over, then they very well could climb back into the race for a top two spot. A slip up against a team hovering around the drop zone might well be the last straw for Burnaby though, as they are running out of race track now. A six point gap looks daunting enough, but they still have to play all the top sides once more and they each other, so there will still be chances to gain ground. However, each week that they do not capitalize means less and less control of their own fate. That makes this game almost a must win for Burnaby and I would expect them to do just that.

big gk

Oct 28, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
you should ask Miroslav what happened? Very dissapointing reffing. A guy on our team received a second yellow and was asked to leave the field so he did and watched from outside the fence. The linesmen who is a sad excuse for a man raised his flag with 10 minutes left saying our player had not left the park. game abandoned. I think if you ask the refs off the record they will admit they made a very big error on the night and need some better training to be at this level. If we get relegated the good thing will be no pathetic linesmen being little snitches in div 2. I dont normally complain about reffing but it was a very good game and clean and respectul on the field. I like Miro on a personal level but horrendous decision making last night by him. I am very dissapointed.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seemingly out of almost nowhere this promotion race has suddenly become compelling. After rocketing to the top, Columbus dropped points which opened the door for GN to bounce back into the conversation. At the bottom the relegation fight is well and truly on after a surprise win for NorVan which could very well prove crucial in the final addition. Both battles look like they will go strong into the New Year with everyone still having something to play for at both ends of the table.

Completely Baseless Predictions - Week 13

Binger's Army v Vancouver Greencaps
It all went pear shaped for the Army last Wednesday as they were down a goal and a man before their match against Inter/EDC was abandoned. Based on the reports, it sounds like it was late in the game and that it was the Army who "caused" the abandonment. The league may allow them to play out the final minutes at a later date, which could prove crucial be cause the Army knicking a goal at the death could change the shape of the relegation picture, but it seems more likely that the league will just let the result stand. Assuming that is the case, it leaves Binger's five points back of safety with a tough stretch of games heading into the winter break. Greencaps handled the Army with relative ease in their first meeting, cruising to a 3-0 win and making it a perfect two for two to begin life in Division 1. The contual dropping of points at the top of the table mean that Greencaps are hovering around the outside edges of the promotion race, but have a chance to make up some ground this week with the team immediately ahead of them, Coquitlam and GN, meeting. Not sure Greencaps have the credentials for a promotion push, but, there are in a position to make a move. We will know soon enough whether the Irishmen have the pedigree to compete at the top given they play the three top teams in their next four matches. In the meantime, a chance to pick up more points over last placed Binger's in an absolute must. Greencaps did struggle in their last midweek outing, well beaten and frustrated by GN, but I expect this one to be much more straight forward.

Club Inter EDC v Burnaby Metro Athletic
The monotony drones on for Burnaby Metro. After looking as though they had salvaged their promotion push and set themselves up to be back in the conversation over the second half of the season, they lost 1-0 to relegation threatened NorVan and once more look as though they might be on the mat. It is certainly not too late to pick themselves up again, but they are running out of games. "Chinter" are another team that should present a winnable game for a serious promotion contender, but the Euro-South Americans have proven to be perhaps the most unpredictable side in the league this season. Assuming their 1-0 result over Binger's last Wednesday holds up after review, it will snap a two game losing streak. However, Inter have beaten the likes of GN and Rino's while those sides were in form this year, so they have shown they are capable of a result on their day. Metro should be desperate, but you would have thought that as well last week and look how that turned out. It all seems rather anticlimactic for a team that harboured, if not promotion expectations coming into this campaign, then certainly promotion ambitions. Burnaby should be favourites, but it is difficult to get behind them, especially when Inter are able to pull wins seemingly out of nowhere. Coin flip here, I'll call it a draw.

NorVan Storm v Columbus
After reaching the top it was a bit of a speed wobble from Columbus last time out. The Italians were only able to manage a 1-1 draw with Rino's who are proving a real thorn in the side of the promotion candidates, having handed them their only loss of the campaign back on opening day. That was part of a slow start to the season for Columbus who began with a rather tepid 1-1-3 record. Their lone win however came against NorVan who struggles mightily to begin the campaign, going winless through their opening nine matches. Almost certain relegation was put on hold thanks to a pair of massive wins against fellow strugglers Inter and Binger's. More impressively though they beat Burnaby 1-0 last time out for their first clean sheet of the season and to make it a three game win streak. They have hauled themselves fully out of the relegation places, though they are far from safety just yet, but they come into this one bang in form. It should be a good contest as NorVan will no doubt be buoyed by their recent run and will be confident of getting something from this match. Columbus simply cannot allow that to happen given the heated promotion battle that they find themselves in, so expect a motivated Italian squad for this one.

Rino's Fury v Westside
The Westside derby goes on Sunday at Point Grey and the Rino's boys have certainly had the better of it in recent meetings against their former clubmates. They won both meetings in Premier last season and the Div. 1 Fury even toppled the then Premier Westside in the Imperial Cup. Their first meeting this season was played on grass and ended up in a 1-1 draw. Indeed draws are seemingly Westside's specialty this year and they were backing to drawing way this past weekend in a 3-3 shootout with Coquitlam Metro Ford where it looks as though the teams exchanged a flurry of goals late in the game. That makes it a VMSL high six draws for Westside now on the season which is likely as much of a frustration as it is an accomplishment. Or worry for the Westsiders will be that their once vaunted defensive record has taken a beating over the last two weeks. They have allowed seven goal over their past two matches which is as many as they had conceded in all nine of the fixtures preceding that. Rino's continue to be a challenge for any side no matter where they sit in the table. They cooled off Columbus and their red hot form in a 1-1 draw last time out and seem to be difficult to predict from week to week, but certainly are consistently able to put in a performance against whoever it is that lines up across from them. Until Westside cure what is ailing them at the back, I don't like their chances. Add it the fact that Rino's have had their number of late and sit higher than them in the table and I think it clearly points to the Fury being favourites here.

Coquitlam Metro Ford Lupi v GN Sporting
MOTW with the two teams tied for third place clashing. This game clearly means more to GN as they are battling for promotion where, based on current rule, Lupi are playing for pride in finishing as high up the table as possible. Lupi are winless in their last three and have conceded three goals in each of those games; easily their worst ever stretch since coming into existence two and a half seasons ago. GN were revitalized after a swoon, but lost to first place Burnaby White Eagle 3-1 last weekend. Both teams are within touching distance of the promotion places, but, as crucial as the three points will be in keeping pace, coming away with nothing from this game will likely hurt more as that side will all but certainly be losing ground. With that in mind, expect a cagey affair in this one and the teams did tie 1-1 in their earlier meeting this season. GN had a brief stint without anyone on the league's naughty list, but discipline issue have raised their heads again for the Surrey/Delta boys as they will be without a pair of players in this clash. No doubt the game is of vital importance to them and their promotion hopes, but Metro Ford will be keen to bump their slump. At home on Sunday night against a once more short staffed GN leads me to think this might be the perfect tonic for Coquitlam and another less than top performance from the side from south of the river.

Burnaby Selects White Eagles
v Romania
It's all going Burnaby's way at the minute as after the once Serbians were reeled in at the top of the table they have bounced back and now occupy the perch all by themselves. Their goal scoring form has returned as well and so has the goal scoring touch of their two talismen Vuk Erbez and Matlash Vladyslav. Each has a pair of goals over the last two matches, the latest an important 3-1 win over GN, and both are once more hovering around the top of the Golden Boot race. Romania are heading in the opposite direction at the moment. After a brief stint where they had steadied the ship, the Europeans find themselves back in the relegation places after four straight losses. More concerning is the fact that they are once again hemorrhaging goals as they have conceded 19 times during their current losing skid. Definitely not a recipe for success heading to Burnaby to play the top offense in the league. This one looks to be fairly straight forward as it should be stats day for the White Eagles on Sunday.

ref44

Aug 13, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fury and Campo were very strong div2 promotion teams that season!
Campo finished third behind us. In reality there was no way they should have gone up as it was to be head to head between the two teams tied as there was a vacancy. Not sure how but one of the rules were missing somehow. Norvan storm took 4 points from campo that year. Campo has a better goal difference. Somehow the league said it was to be goal difference.

Leblue

Oct 25, 2018
Tokens
Dirty Money
Campo finished third behind us. In reality there was no way they should have gone up as it was to be head to head between the two teams tied as there was a vacancy. Not sure how but one of the rules were missing somehow. Norvan storm took 4 points from campo that year. Campo has a better goal difference. Somehow the league said it was to be goal difference.
Campo and goal difference is a funny topic especially this year.....

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

I remember. It was a big controversy that season and Norvan technically should have been promoted imo. Having said that; Campo won the div2 cup, provincial B cup and then went on to get promoted to Prem the next season...so they were worthy of promotion at the end of the day.

What's up with your side this year? Surprised to see the slow start of the year. Get Wilton to help you guys out more ;)

ref44

Aug 13, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I remember. It was a big controversy that season and Norvan technically should have been promoted imo. Having said that; Campo won the div2 cup, provincial B cup and then went on to get promoted to Prem the next season...so they were worthy of promotion at the end of the day.

What's up with your side this year? Surprised to see the slow start of the year. Get Wilton to help you guys out more ;)
Really not sure. I have not been involved but have just got back into the fold a couple of games ago. We will stave off relegation. We have only been out of two games in the first nine. We have had a young kid in goal so that didn’t help. We will be coming on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts