Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL Div 1] Predictions, Results & Banter 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It certainly bears discussion, no question. Perhaps the rule is archaic and should be reviewed, but that would need to be put forward at the VMSL AGM. Again, I will reiterate, the rules have been clear about this forever, so NorVan, Inter, Rino's and Lupi should all have known coming into this season that this is their ceiling (barring a simultaneous relegation of their club's Prem team).

Of course there are still several months to go, so this may not be an issue when all is said and done this season, however, it would likely be good to discuss moving forward. Particularly the question that needs to be answered is WHY is it that the league feels it important clubs be limited to just one team in Premier and then the membership can discuss if they share these concerns. It might be the case that the rule was necessary many years ago, but perhaps is no longer relevant today.

Rinos and Lupi have a legit chance to finish top 2 in the division and that would mean that 3rd and 4th place get promoted to premier and do you really think that they would do well in premier?? they would get pumped week in week out by other premier teams therefore the level of premier would go down as well.

On this I am not sure the drop off between first and second and third and fourth looks like it will bee too much this season. Quite frankly I am not convinced that any of the teams in Division 1 this season could compete in Premier.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It certainly bears discussion, no question. Perhaps the rule is archaic and should be reviewed, but that would need to be put forward at the VMSL AGM. Again, I will reiterate, the rules have been clear about this forever, so NorVan, Inter, Rino's and Lupi should all have known coming into this season that this is their ceiling (barring a simultaneous relegation of their club's Prem team).

Of course there are still several months to go, so this may not be an issue when all is said and done this season, however, it would likely be good to discuss moving forward. Particularly the question that needs to be answered is WHY is it that the league feels it important clubs be limited to just one team in Premier and then the membership can discuss if they share these concerns. It might be the case that the rule was necessary many years ago, but perhaps is no longer relevant today.

On this I am not sure the drop off between first and second and third and fourth looks like it will bee too much this season. Quite frankly I am not convinced that any of the teams in Division 1 this season could compete in Premier.
None

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whoever wins Division 1 should be promoted to Premier; it should not matter if another team from the same club is already in Premier.

Each team should be treated as an independent entity; irrelevant of the club’s association. Anything else is a joke; why allow then any club to have another team in any other division if that team, at the end, cannot be promoted to Premier?

So what if Wolves and Lupi (from Metro Ford) are both in Premier? Players would be registered for one team only (either Wolves or Lupi), no player movement should be allowed between those two teams unless it is one (per season) regular transfer (the same rule for every team in the league).

Yes, there is a danger that down the road big clubs like Metro Ford end up having 3, 4 or even more teams in Premier league but, again, it should not matter if players are registered only for one team and cannot move between the teams whenever they (or coaches or the club) want.

110% agree. Whoever wins Div. 1 should be promoted to premier. I am actually very curious to know why is it okay to have more than one team in all of the divisions except Premier? Does anyone know? The only reason that I could think of is that a big club like metro ford could have more than 3 or 4 teams and therefore increases their chances going to nationals. Personally I highly doubt even a team like metro ford could field 3 or 4 teams competitive enough to win provincials and go to nationals, they simply dont have the player pool to do so. Maybe at the very most they will have 2 competitive teams in premier.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Probably for the possibility of collusion to throw games, injure players, draw suspensions etc. I'm not saying it would happen but questions would be asked. It's pretty clear why for top of the table and championship reasons(points). However a scenario could be said for the bottom of the table too, for example: What if Richmond was in the relegation zone just above Lupi in Prem. Wolves aren't in trouble of relegation and don't need the points. Wolves could throw the game vs Lupi and Richmond would go down. In this case you wouldn't have the best teams playing in Prem. And one pissed off @club_i_champ :p #devilsadvocate

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Machel,

If that is the league's argument (you are most likely correct about it) then why is any club allowed to have more than one team in other VMSL divisions? What you used as an example could also happen in Division 1 and 2.

Either treat every team as an individual entity or the club - very simple. The current rule is archaic and needs to be changed (one way or another).

In my opinion it is better to treat each team as an individual entity (in this case the league could simply schedule games between two teams from the same club at the beginning of the season).

Nov 25, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the league allows up to 4 players signed with a premier team to be "called down" to play with the division 1 team within the same club. That's a big advantage for division 1 teams to be able to use 4 premier level players every week.

If the league is to treat teams as independent entities, division 1 teams shouldn't be allowed to use players from their premier teams and be their own independent entity in division 1- not once they get promoted to premier.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the league allows up to 4 players signed with a premier team to be "called down" to play with the division 1 team within the same club. That's a big advantage for division 1 teams to be able to use 4 premier level players every week.

If the league is to treat teams as independent entities, division 1 teams shouldn't be allowed to use players from their premier teams and be their own independent entity in division 1- not once they get promoted to premier.

You are wrong. Players can only get called up, not down.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Machel,

If that is the league's argument (you are most likely correct about it) then why is any club allowed to have more than one team in other VMSL divisions? What you used as an example could also happen in Division 1 and 2.

Back when ttp was a little more brash I said something like...
"the vmsl doesn't give a fcuk about any of the other divisions besides Premier"

Things like divisional alignment took forever to implement in the lower divisions.
Div.1 just got linesmen a couple years back. Weekly league reports only in Prem. CAT was a joke.
Goal scorers were only tracked in Prem. etc etc.

There's money in Prem as well. I don't know where it's coming from or the motivation to fork it out for an amateur league but it's there. Believe it or not.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Halloween Match tonight - Binger's vs CMF Lupi

Will the Binger's Dads be too busy taking the kids trick or treating?
Will the kids from Coquitlam make it out to Memorial in force on a cold wet Wednesday night with Halloween parties to attend and fireworks to light
Will @Canucks4Ever publish his predictions in time?

stay tuned to find out...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another week, another change at the top in Division 1. Things remain tight at the top with only four points between first and fifth. Most of the match-ups this week are teams from the top half against teams from the bottom, so again, a chance to perhaps separate the table somewhat. However, the way it has played out so far this season, I wouldn't hold my breathe...

Completely Baseless Predictions - Week 9

Binger's Army v Coquitlam Metro Ford Lupi
Indeed it is a return to the relegation zone for the Army. Romania picked up four points over the last week and that leaves Binger's second bottom. This is unlikely to cause great panic within the Army's ranks, they will have an eye over a meeting with bottom side NorVan right before the schedule turns over and they get another shot at some of the teams from the bottom half, but they would be wise not to let this one slip too far away from them. Pulling off Houdini acts year after year does not leave much margin for error. Binger's are famous for their ability to rip points off of the teams at the top of the league when you least expect it, though this week would be a real surprise. Lupi are the only unbeaten side left in the top two tiers of the VMSL and have lost only the Provincial B Cup final in the last calendar year. It would seem like Binger's are at best playing for a draw in this one, though they will be hoping that their mid-week kickoff presents travel concerns for the Tri-Cities side and perhaps serves up a weakened Metro Ford team. Eric Dove rose to the top of the goal scoring charts, with his brace over Inter at the weekend and a potent offensive threat is the last thing goal starved Bingers need to see on Wednesday night. Binger's are always a wild card; but the safe money is on Coquitlam.

Columbus v Romania
A battle of teams who have recently shaken off slow starts. Romania are off the bottom and out of the relegation places after putting up their first seven points of the year over their last three games. Meanwhile, it is three wins on the spin for Columbus who began their season winning just one of their first five games. A massive 3-0 victory last time out over GN Sporting, who came into that fixture as league leaders, has vaulted the Italians back into the promotion battle. Having overcome their indifferent start to the season to drag themselves back into things, Columbus certainly will be keen to avoid ceding any of that made up ground back to the field. Romania will be keen to continue to pick up points as they move towards safety, but, having done plenty of heavy lifting already, perhaps they might just take their foot off the gas in this one. Looking ahead they have a fixture against Westside next week that they will surely be targeting for points, so if Columbus can ride their momentum and get this one under their control early the Romanians may just be happy enough to let it go.

Westside v GN Sporting
Westside have the best defensive record in the league, as well as that they lead the division in ties, and that is about all they have going for them so far this season. GN on the other hand have surprised many by soaring to the top of the league, before being humbled by Columbus last weekend and dethroned. Sporting have shown that, unlike in previous seasons, they are capable of bouncing back, responding to dropping points on a pair of previous occasions with emphatic wins. Things are really tightening up atop the table and while that is nothing new as far as this campaign is concerned, it does seem like it has a slightly different flavour to it as we enter November. Columbus and White eagles are on the charge as are Rino's and Lupi (though, as has been discussed at length, they are not able to earn promotion under the current rules). It feels like now is the crunch where GN will prove that they are able to stick with the promotion contenders, or if they will fade as they, and many others, have done in previous seasons. While they will expect to earn the points against a rather pedestrian Westside group, that stingy defense is likely to pose a few problems especially considering that they will be without the services of top goal scorer Ameet Kaila, who was sent off against Columbus. Will others be able to step up for GN and fill the void left by their star man's absence? Or will Westside's defense smother yet another team? Add the travel on a Saturday and perhaps this is just a bridge too far for the Surrey side. Don't expect Westside to win, that would be outlandish, they don't do that; but I sense a draw here.

Club Inter EDC v Rino's Fury
The Fury continued with their mid-table form, beating another team below them in the standings. Bottom side NorVan were the victims last time out, as Rino's made it two wins in a row, edging out a 2-1 victory. Inter have had the opposite luck of late, losing two in a row after they put up their only two wins so far this season. It seemed routine at the time, but, looking back, the three points they earned against Romania might just prove crucial come the final addition. They could really use a return to winning ways, but with amount of goals they surrender, it will likely prove difficult. "Chinter" have given up 18 through either games and meaning they will need to score at least three themselves most weeks if they are to get a result. Rino's are not what you would call an "offensive juggernaut," but they are one of the higher scoring teams in the division. Expect them to make Inter pay for their wayward defending.

NorVan Storm v Vancouver Greencaps
In terms of opportunities to save themselves from tumbling closer and closer to certain relegation, the next two weeks look set to be crucial for NorVan. Greencaps is the highest ranked team they will play over the next three weeks before the schedule resets, so it is time to make hay and pull themselves back into the fight for safety. Of course the flip side of that arguement is all three of their next opponents, Greencaps, Inter and Binger's will be desperate to take all the points and ostensibly remove one team from the relegation battle, thus making themselves all that much more secure. Greencaps look like they should be able to manage a mid-table finish in their debut season, but a win this week would go quite a ways towards solidifying that belief. Discipline is starting to be a problem though for the Irishmen, as they will be missing three bodies this week. Perhaps this opens the door for NorVan against a newly promoted side; if it doesn't I am not sure what will. NorVan though have their own suspension issues to grapple with as they have a pair of names on the hot sheet. Greencaps are winless in four, but stopped the rot with a draw against Westside last week and will be looking to build off that. I think there is a decent chance that NorVan can put it altogether at home in this one, but it is tough to pick them to win, given their record, so I will take a draw.

Burnaby Metro Athletic v Burnaby Selects White Eagles
The Burnaby derby has to be the MOTW based on the local rivalry along, but it is also the only clash between two teams from the top half of the table this weekend. Of course there are major promotion implications in this one, White Eagles sit tied atop of the league at the moment, while Metro are desperately clinging to a season that start off by looking so promising. It is now five games without a win for Athletic, who began the season 3-0-0, and they have a trip to the other league co-leader, Coquitlam Metro Ford on the docket for next week. They are sitting in sixth place, six points off of the promotion pace, starring at the real possibility of being 12 points back by the time the schedule turns over. It would appear that Metro might be heading upon a similar trajectory to Shaheen (and others before it), who burst onto the scene with an expansive Division 2 resume, were right in the promotion conversation in their first season and then faded away before ultimately being relegated within a few years. White Eagles however, Metro's promotion cousins from a season ago, are heading in the other direction. After a tepid start to life in Division 1, they gained momentum down the stretch last season before picking up right where they left off this year. Their offense remains their biggest weapon, having scored a league best 20 goals through their eight games so far, though they seem to be spreading out the goals this season and appear less reliant on the two headed monster of Vuk Erbez and Matlash Vladyslav. This perhaps makes them even more of a danger going forward, if that was possible. Given the rules about who can and cannot get promoted this season, White Eagles have to know be the odds on favourite to go up. Metro will still be clinging to hope that they can be in the conversation come February, but that will like mean winning this week or, at the very least, not losing and giving up further ground in the promotion race. It should be a cracker out at Burnaby Lake on Sunday, with so much more than just local bragging rights on the line. With a chance to put a real death nail into their rival promotion hopes, plus their vaunted offense and current form, how could White Eagles not be the favourite in this one?

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
9 Greencaps on the VMSL NAUGHTY board this week div1 and div2

No surprise there. Easily the dirtiest club I've seen in years. They commit hard fouls but if you get stuck in on them they cry like babies. Kind of like most teams in masters. Hey fellas...you have many years to go before masters so stfu. hahahahaha
Close second would be the tools on Strathcona. Then Harps. Then Sairon. Wonder what they have in common. :p

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
No surprise there. Easily the dirtiest club I've seen in years. They commit hard fouls but if you get stuck in on them they cry like babies. Kind of like most teams in masters. Hey fellas...you have many years to go before masters so stfu. hahahahaha
Close second would be the tools on Strathcona. Then Harps. Then Sairon. Wonder what they have in common. :p

Totally agree....Harps are pretty bad as well. Like Machel said, I wonder what Harps and Greencaps have in common....

Zima

Sep 17, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Totally agree....Harps are pretty bad as well. Like Machel said, I wonder what Harps and Greencaps have in common....

Both products of their environment. Both play out of Trillium West, which is a tough neighbourhood. It is behind the railroad tracks, next to an abandoned parking lot, syringes, within walking distance of the Ivanhoe, etc. Naughty place to play football.

It is nowhere near as glamorous as Trillium East, which boasts a contemporary, technicolour dressing room and playground (sans syringes).

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Both products of their environment. Both play out of Trillium West, which is a tough neighbourhood. It is behind the railroad tracks, next to an abandoned parking lot, syringes, within walking distance of the Ivanhoe, etc. Naughty place to play football.

It is nowhere near as glamorous as Trillium East, which boasts a contemporary, technicolour dressing room and playground (sans syringes).

well played.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0