Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vernon Co-ed Tourny

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who's staying where??

JR thanks for letting us know who we play and the park.Glad to see we don't have to play anyone from vancouver until hopefully?? the later rounds.YG Inc. is staying at the Hillside motel and I know Buddha is at the Midway motel.What about other teams?? p.s. there will be a three man game going on friday night if anyone wants to play!!(the drinking dice game)

halfvolley

Jan 18, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Where we're staying

The carts are going up Friday morning and taking two vans along the way. We're staying at a chalet near Silverstar Resort i think. The dice game sounds interesting. Maybe we'll drop in at one of the two hotels and look for everyone. If not we'll be around and ready to have fun wherever whenever.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Early Prediction!!

If Gunners have the same team up in Vernon as they do in the league down here then there my pre-tournament favourites to win the rec side!!!As for the comp. side that's too close to call with all you guys being stuck in the same group.If I were any one of you guy's (MS,BDGC,Buddha)I would be protesting!!If you ask me that's CRAP that you are all in the same grouping!!You should tell Gavin(tournament organizer)to change it up a bit,seeing as you are all from vancouver!!!Anyways goodluck to all up there!!

J R

Mar 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hotel or Motel...it's all the same

MS are bunking with Buddha at the Midway Motel. The Chalet was too far away and the Swiss Chalet Parking lot seemed a bit too high classed for us.

Good luck everyone!

JR

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alright...

Enough already. Let's hear about the tourney. What's everyone so quiet about? From all this silence you'd think that YG Inc. just added $500 to its revenues for the quarter and that Buddha lost again in the final, while MS, BDGC, and Gunners stubbed their toes on the way. Say it ain't so! I want to hear from Seabus, Yoda, Woody, Conductor, Pen 15, JR, Cartdriver, and Halfvolley. Heck, I'll even settle for Au Razor's CAP LOCKS. Somebody say something. Please ! It's been a boring weekend on this board.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's right 911

We wanna know who won, who puked, who wrecked themselves, and if there are any dead CHICKEN'S??

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All over it

Yoda, had the first goal for the team to open up the tourney and had the chance to pot the game winner in the final but found a seemingly impossible way to chip it over the goal. I was a little dazed and confuzed being that close to the net, and panicked.
Then we proved to be the worst team in the tournament for PK's.

Not sure how the men's MVP got his award. I wasn't overly impressed with his work in the middle as I checked. On second thought, maybe I just made him look that good.
:rolleyes:

Surprising that one of our forwards didn't win it as he has all for goals in our semi game and ended up with 8 goals in 4 games.

Oh well, congrats to Mack Daddy who won the women's MVP for the competitive division.

Congrats to Young Guns on winning the REC division :rolleyes:

Yodaisfeelinglikethegoatofthetournament

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unimpressed

There were only 2 things that I wasn't impressed with in Vernon this year.
1. Again Buddha was the last team at the Beer Garden as they again literally took the fence and tents down around us. Beer Garden closed by 5:30.

2. All the teams, including Mountain Shadow went home on Sunday night and didn't stay to party at the Midway.

Next year you should all take the Monday off as Buddha does and party on the last night instead of driving home.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What Party!!

Hey Yoda,there was some Young Guns up there last night across from you guys at the Hillside.I agree with you about people taking the monday off and staying in Vernon for one extra night.
All the teams, including Mountain Shadow went home on Sunday night and didn't stay to party at the Midway.
But seriously you guy's didn't party last night.A few YG's headed over to your hotel and hung out for a few hours in room#110.They said that it was nice and casual but definitely no party going on!!At about 11:00 three girls from your team came down to the room and crashed right away!!Maybe they were all partied out!!!

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Conductor

I hope you're not suggesting that Yoda is taking credit for a party that didn't exist. Just to double check, I made a call to see if there were any 9-1-1 calls made in Vernon over the weekend. There were a few instances of cats caught up in trees as well as a few calls from parents who claimed their 15 year-old daughters were at the night club, but there were NO reports of any hostile parties at either the Midway OR the Hillside.

On an unrelated note, however, there were a few co-ed soccer players who checked into VGH (Vernon General Hospital)complaining of symptoms described as second-place-itis.:D

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ouch, that was a good one

Did you think of that one with the "REC Division" Championship trophy in your lap?

:D

Correct me if I am wrong but were we the only team in the beer gardens, midday, that still had a game to play in the finals?
Were the Kelowna Kamels:rolleyes: in the beer garden before the game? Don't think so.

Yodalookingforanyexcuseforlosingtoabadlydressedteam.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda

Yoda said: 911, Did you think of that one with the "REC Division" Championship trophy in your lap?

Yoda,
I've yet to see the REC cup. Does it look anything like the AMSL cup that I have on my lap?:D
Or the stolen AMSL cup that you have on your lap?:p

There's no doubt that the "Competitive" side was the far more difficult of the two, but from what I hear, the team we beat in the finals was as good as any team we played this year. We also LOST our first game 4-0 (to a team that wore pink uniforms and had pink hair---but we beat them 3-1 in the semis)and we just snuck into the playoffs.

Therefore, it appears that the REC side wasn't exactly a cakewalk, and we were definitely pretty lucky to get that far. I'm not saying we're the best team, but we somehow find ways to win, even with a depleted, hung(over) roster in 30+ degree heat.

Congrats to you guys as well. PKs don't decide the better team. Woody, remember, just like my Div.7 coach used to tell us: "Toe down, toe down, going to the hoe down."

Next year, we should ALL stay in the same motel. We'll let MS and the BDGC fight it out in the competitive, and then maybe we'll see Buddha vs Gunners in the REC final?

Young Guns Inc. ain't so young anymore. We're looking at winning the over 35 final next year.:eek:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shocking

We were shocked when we heard that you guys were losing 4-bagel to the pinkies.
I don't know which one was worse, the Pink uniforms (and hair) that you guys played, or the orange ones we played. Both shocking kits.
:eek:

It sounds to me like they need a new format for the tournament.
We drove all the way up there to play the BDGC in our first game. Then played a good game against another team that we ended up playing again on Sunday morning in the Semi's.
Sounds like you guys had the same sort of draw.
There must be a better way to do the draw. There are numurous other fields around that we could play a third game on Saturday that way eliminating a chance that you would play the same team 2 games in a row, or at least change the odds of it happening.

Oh well, looks like I will be the goat for the next year for missing that game winning goal in the box that I chipped over the net.

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So is that it?

Doesn't sound like I missed much....... :eek: I figured you guys would have partied day in & day out.....

I'm kinda disappointed..... :eek:

The Beernuts are going up next year so we'll show you guys how it's done (tiki torches & all)...... I know I turn into an animal for the "away" tourneys so I can only imagine how bad the entire Beernuts team would be...... :rolleyes:

:D Spazz

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vernon hi-lites and low-lites!!

A few things spring to mind after the weekend festivities:

Regarding the above posts about staying an extra night in Vernon. An extra night in Vernon?? That is like going back for sloppy seconds with your sister (sorry to any girls about that one!)..this is Vernon we are talking about...not Maui!

BDGC's need some "killer instinct"! We were up 2-1 on Buddha and lose 3-2, up 1-0 on MS and tie 1-1, and up 1-0 on some over 60's team in the semi and lose it in the final 10 minutes. We just can't put teams away! At one point I actually saw one of our guys "laughing" and "chatting" with an opponent while we were holding on at the end....unheard of...FUN? LAUGHS? We need to put people away. Oh well, there's always the rec side in the "Yellowknife Invitational"...we'll work on our KI up there, although we'd probably run into YG's collecting more cups in the rec final. Congrats to Buddha for a good effort though...down to us and down 3-0 to some other team before they won that one 4-3...Yoda, got a book we can read on this "comeback" phenomenom?

The best on-field moment for me -- when I was attempting to cross a ball in that beened JR in the side of the head while he was trying to cut it off....and the ref calls a hand ball. I was going to ask if he was related to Herb. I still don't know if JR can see straight.

For next year...I highly recommend everyone staying up on Silver Star mountain in one of the chalets 20 or so minutes outside of town. While some of you were cramming into room #110 or watching the beer garden fencing come down around you, we did the following: had 18 Carts (and some others on Sat night) partying in a 4 level place (4 bedrooms, 3 baths, etc), a bunch skinnying in the hot tub on the patio, a few walking around the village where a wine tasting was going on....shall I go on?? 3 or 4 teams on top of a mountain would be wild.

Off field classic memory: one of our girls took a bet from CD and dipped in the strange red fountain. Nothing like red skin/hair for a day or more.

Boy this is getting long. Gotta run and work on my fitness...I hear tryouts for the Beernuts start in October.

CD

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sure

I may be able to give you some pointers on how to mount comebacks such as this, TRYHARDER!!!!!!

But I can't give you any pointers on scoring the game winning goals or on PK's.

Can you tell that oportune chance to win it all is bothering me?
:mad:

Yodaishavingsomesleeplessnightslately.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I, too, had to wear dark shades after an important match a few years back.

We were in injury time and the ball was crossed into the mixer. It bounced off a few legs and came to me sitting all alone in front of the net.

I cracked it and it went top shelf.

I was swarmed by my teammates and got an elbow to the nose which gave me a shiner, so I wore shades for awhile.:D

Hey, relax already! We've all been there.

I can't believe that Seabus or Woody haven't come to your aid by saying not to worry about it and that you can't blame one person for a loss. I thought Buddha was a tight group!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
MVP

Who was the guy that won the MVP from your team?

Heard he had a cracker of a shot from a free kick for a goal.

guru

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
News article from the "Vernon Morning Star" Paper

Camels come through in the clutch

The Kal Tire Camels used back-to-back shootout wins to secure the title in the Competitive A Division of the fourth annual Vernon Co-ed Soccer Tournament Sunday afternoon at MacDonald Park.

The Camels, a joint effort between Kal Tire of the North Okanagan Women’s Soccer League and the Kal Hotel Camels of the Vernon Men’s Soccer League, brushed back Buddha of Maple Ridge in the championship game.

After a 2-2 draw following regulation time, Kal Tire got goals from Kim Vandermeer, Al Betton and Andrew Whiston in the shootout to earn the win. In regulation time, Deanna Baker and Irene Arrotta scored.

The Camels advanced to the final following a semifinal shootout win over the Vernon Co-ed Connection. The teams battled to a 1-1 draw in regulation.

The Camels donated their cash winnings back to the Vernon Soccer Association, who will put the money towards the construction of a storage shed next to the clubhouse at MacDonald. Profits from the 24-team tourney will also go towards the construction.

“The tournament was a huge success again this year,” said organizer Gavin Smart. “We had nothing but positive feedback and everyone really had a great time. It was great to see three Vernon teams in the final. The teams with the best women did the best again this year. It’s like Barb Wilson said at the tournament, ‘men invented the game, but women have perfected it.”

In the Recreational A Division final, the Young Guns of Vancouver edged Vernon’s Beauties and Beasts 2-1. Caylie Patton scored Vernon’s lone goal. Marty Stein coached the Beauties and Beasts.

In the Masters A Division final, Vernon’s U Kantbetus lost to KOMAW of Kamloops in a shootout.

U Kantbetus had several scoring chances to put the game out of reach, but KOMAW scored in the final minute of regulation time to force the shootout. Kamloops outscored Vernon 4-3 in the shootout.

Whiston collected the MVP award for the men in the Competitive Division, while Janice MacIntosh of Buddha took the female honour.

In the Recreational Division, Tony Papillo of the Young Guns was the men’s MVP, while Jennifer Wilson of Beauties and Beasts took the ladies’ award.

The Masters Division’s top female was Maria Piva, while Eric Ladner of U Kantbetus was the top male. The division’s top goalkeeper was Jimmy Purchase of the Rusty Gull Strikers from North Vancouver.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0