Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Upcoming Title Fights

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Possibly a little early for this but there is three excellent fights happening in November:
Ward vs. Gatti II-The first fight was unfcukingbelievable! Nothing less than 12 rounds of war and number two should be no different.
Berrera vs. Tapia-Berrera is a master but maybe Tapia can turn it on. Could be classic. On a side note, fcuk was it great seeing Berrera shitkick that idiot Naseem Hamed.
Morales vs. Ayala-Ayala moves up in weight for Morales. Winner will probably fight Berrera. Two tough little fcukers.

It's gonna be a good month for scrappin'

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let's get it on

Allright, noone else may give a shite but here we go. First up in the month of November is Marco Antonio Barrera v. Johnny Tapia, Saturday, November 2nd on HBO. The money is on Barrera to take it in a decision. Most people think M.A.B. is too good for Tapia, as well as much stronger. BUT. Barrera has evolved into a counter-puncher over time and against Tapia he will probably have to chase as Tapia is most effective when he is moving and counterpunching himself. It will be interesting to see how Barrera handles this. Both are good to the body but especially Barrera. The body shots will be coming in hot and heavy! M.A.B. should win but it should also be very competitive.

Sounds like Roy Jones Jr. and Johnny will have it out around March 1st next year. It's about time Roy took a chance. Should be an interesting fight.

De La Hoya is trying to persuade Felix Trinidad out of retirement for a fight in May or September of next year. Hopefully Tito gives it a shot. Oscar deserved to win their last fight and a rematch is in order, I say.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am seeing little chance for tapia in this one, I don't think barrera will knock him out but should win easily on decision. As far as Jones Jr. goes I glad he is taking a tough fight but I'm not sure this is going to be a good fight. If he wants he could move all night and I don't think Ruiz would touch him. I'll take Jones on decision. I would really like to see him fight hopkins again and knock him out!!!

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Roy Jones Jr.

Ya, I can't see Ruiz hitting Jones if he ran around all night but at least Ruiz won't have that "deer in the headlights" look of terror like most of the other guys Jones has fought. Ruiz should outweigh Jones by a good forty pounds or so. Still I think Jones will drop him in the mid-late rounds and will be cool to see a smaller fighter take on a bigger one and lay the funk down. I would rather see him fight Hopkins again but doesn't seem like that will happen for a while.

Barrera is the man. El Techniciano. I don't think Tapia can realistically do it but he should have enough guts to make it interesting.

Morales v. Ayala : Nov. 16, HBO

Irish Mickey Ward v. Arturo Thunder Gatti : Nov. 23, HBO (I believe)

Three Saturdays this month = soccer game followed by pints and punches at the pub! Yeehaw!!

Saint

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
hmmmm...

Barrera most certainly is not the man. Morales was robbed in their second fight and should rightfully be placed at the apex of the featherweight division. And before someone responds with the typical, “But that’s justice, man, because Barrera was robbed in the first fight,” don’t bother - I couldn’t care less.

As for the Tapia proposition, I would agree with such sentiments already expressed: Barrera wins. As for the how, I’m not so sure. Barrera rarely gets to his opponents early, but his effectiveness inside is reaching the recognisable level of that other immortal body puncher from Burritoville and, therefore, should do the trick in this scuffle. Tapia is a mediocre fighter at this level. Besides, reformist religious types never pull off shock victories - just ask that dusty sperm, lean, mean Foreman. Tapia looked incredible against Soto, yet lost to Medina (in my not so humble opinion), and he’ll prove to be an open target against the professor.

Barrera late…or even later than that.

Am I right in remembering that Tapia was in Barrera’s corner for the Hamed fight?

As for the rest:

Ward beats Gatti in an absolute classic (this is the fight of the month).
Morales explodes all over Ayala.
Roy versus Ruiz: I’ll keep you all on your toes for that prediction…go on and admit it, you’re trembling with anticipation.

This is cathartic. Who needs an umbrella?

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Barrera most certainly is not the man

Well, maybe I got a little carried away. Was still remembering him make Hamed look bad, but really how hard was that? You're right about Morales being robbed in their second fight. Looks like another rematch if things go according to plan. i.e. Wins by Barrera and Morales. Come on man...Let's have the Jones/Ruiz prediction:mad: One of the boxing commentators was saying Ward/Gatti II would not be as violent as the first. That both fighters would box more. Thing is, do they know how not to brawl? shite, going to war is what those two do. Can't wait. I can't remember if Tapia was in Barrera's corner. I vaguely recollect something but it's all fuzzy, man.

Saint

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jones versus Ruiz…

Being the Oracle of all-things boxing…

My prognostication is this: the fight won’t happen. I, like almost every other fight fan in the world, am absolutely enamoured with Roy’s talents - but it really is time to put-up or shut-up. I understand why he was dubious to handbag with Big Buster a few years back – the man was a physical monster in comparison to Ruiz – but for how long must we tolerate his incessant side stepping of a ‘real’ challenge. I have no doubt that he’d cane Hopkins, Michalczewski and everyone else below the Heavyweight division, but his overall repugnance for actually wanting to prove himself worthy of legendary status speaks volumes about the man. Roy is Great. Roy will be remembered as a great. He pummelled all comers and mopped up several divisions in the process. But expiating years of dalliance by taking one gigantic leap into the land of giants may not be enough. The man has sullied his reputation for the better part of ten years. I hope he shows up on March 11 and whoops the chubby Puerto Rican senseless, thus restoring his undeniable brilliance. Then and only then, will he truly vanquish the many questions that surround his legacy. There is no denying that he is an unbelievable talent and, occasionally, we maybe ask too much of him. I’d like to see him take this fight, win, and then retire. But I don’t think he will; and even if he does I don’t think it’s an easy, “I’ll dance and make a mint” sort of fight as many have suggested.

But if the fight does transpire - here’s what I think.

Ruiz is not as bad as the so-called experts scribe. He doesn’t possess any of the usual pusillanimity that characterises most of RJ’s opponents. Ruiz has been in a few minor wars with some decent hard-hitting heavies and has shown a penchant for hubris. He stood toe-to-toe with Johnson (a fight that I thought he would lose), and he took the best that an ageing Evander could offer. Is he a top six heavyweight? Probably not (if this thread is to fly, let’s keep it all, i.e. top tens etc, under one banner title -- there’ll only be 3-4 of us anyway). Is he a tough, durable, and surprisingly well-condition-yet-corpulent fighter who will test Roy’s chin by forcing him to the corners and holding him there for longer that Roy’s ever experienced? Methinks so.

If the rumour mill is credible, Roy has already been down twice in a pre-training camp session; and while there is nothing especially noteworthy about a fighter being dropped in camp, it does add a pinch of spice to an already enticing affair. Roy doesn’t even possess pure one-punch power at light-heavy, and I’d be surprised if anyone thinks that the extra fifteen-or-so pounds are going to produce ‘stretching’ ability in time for a dance with Ruiz.

Prediction: If forced into a corner, I’ll take Roy in a split-decision. The fight will be a battle of attrition in its purist sense, with Ruiz going down a couple of times from shots that he doesn’t see coming, and Roy going down early from a hard blow to the body.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
steward's inquiry.........

...........and has shown a penchant for hubris .
If it weren't for the unimpeachable fact that my bird comes from Essex and is, therefore vastly unlettered, I would appropriate her big and clever words too........ you've got a short memory.

And shite.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice forecast of the Jones/Ruiz (possible) showdown, Saint. Only one question.
He doesn’t possess any of the usual pusillanimity that characterises most of RJ’s opponents
Does this mean he's not a pussy?

Well, Barrera v. Tapia was a little disappointing. Tapia was just too old, too worn out to be dangerous. Plus their friendship certainly didn't help in making it exciting. Merchant and Foreman were both up to their usual stellar broadcasting standards:rolleyes:

Merchant: "That low blow... made him look... like a wounded crow". Uh, what does a hurt fcuking crow have in common with getting your balls punched off, Merchant?

Merchant: "Johnny Tapia... is his own rally monkey". Shut up, Merchant.

Couldn't bear to watch his, always dramatic, closing comments.

Just read on the 'net that Steven Seagal has accepted a three figure sum to sign for a fight with Dapotayto. It's being held in Salmon arm and billed as Bitchslap on the Shuswap. I will put the hurt on Fat Boy.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, apparently Morales worked Ayala over pretty good and Gatti dominated Ward for the most part in the two fights (both unanimous decisions, I believe) neither of which I was able to see due to previous commitments and work. Life just isn't fair sometimes:mad: Hopefully TSN will have the replay of the Ward/Gatti matchup this week. They're talking about Ward v. Gatti III already. I'm sure Ward would like one more nice payday before he retires or his brain starts leaking out his ears whichever comes first. He's taken a wee bit of punishment over the years(as has Gatti). Anyone see the fights?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts