Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UFC in Vancouver.

What do you think of UFC Potentially coming to Vancouver

• Love it, will buy tix if I can

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Love it, doubt I will buy tix when I can watch at home with friends

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Hate it. Full Stop

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Indifferent, don't care one way or the other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Love it, but don't want it in my city

• Indifferent, but don't think the city should permit it here

• I am still learning about the sport, don't know yet.

• Boxing is better

• If they allow Boxing they should allow UFC

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Would pay ridiculous prices for tickets to ensure I will be there

• Total voters

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So with the rumblings from this weekend from UFC brass about a potential Vancouver/GM Place event in Q2 or 3 and now confirmed via many news outlets lets start the chat.

There is no doubt about a market for UFC here in Vancity:

from the same article:
"Canada is the mecca of mixed martial arts right now, and I didn't see that one coming," UFC President Dana White told fans at the MMA Fan Expo, which drew an estimated 40,000 people, many of whom showed up in Vegas despite having no ticket to the fight itself.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-co.../bc-vancouver-ufc-match-ban-martial-arts.html
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-co.../bc-vancouver-ufc-match-ban-martial-arts.html

Nice to see Gregor putting his public opinion in-line, but we have seen this act before. :rolleyes:

I cannot believe Cadman though, it sounds like petty politicking. You will have just as big a need for Policing etc at Fireworks etc... This is really a red herring inho.

The amount of money this could generate for our city, nevermind local people also buying in, should do more than enough to far exceed the costs of policing and securing this event.

I haven't been to a UFC event, although I have been to other circuit's events, people are not leaving looking to get into fights. I think this is an easy one... Just like Canucks games, have a zero tolerance for drunked fools, and stop beer sales at a certain time during the event.

I am going to run a poll on this,

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN

Im indifferent to the whole thing, dont care either way.
That said, I do see a difference in the crowd that will attend a UFC event and the crowd that will attend fireworks......

I dont see how it can be much different than after a big hockey game though

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't paid to attend a sporting event since the U-20 world cup here a few years back. Before that, it would have been the U-21 Women's World Cup...before that was when Peter Beardsley came to town. I'd definitely pay for tickets. The UFC is the best bang for your buck out there. Great show, great atmosphere, great fight cards.

The only thing that will slow the UFC down will be a tragic injury or a steroid scandal.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
For the record, I love boxing and have followed it most of my life. With that being said, it is a more dangerous sport simply because boxers can get hit in the head 200-400 times in a fight. Boxers can get knocked down multiple times in a fight before a referee steps in and ends it. If you think about a UFC fight, they are mainly 3 rounds long, much of which can be spent grappling, looking for submissions, etc. It is not focused simply on punching a guy in the head like boxing primarily is---and that's where the most serious short and long term injuries can occur.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN

Im indifferent to the whole thing, dont care either way.
That said, I do see a difference in the crowd that will attend a UFC event and the crowd that will attend fireworks......

I dont see how it can be much different than after a big hockey game though
But that is a stumbling block to this. Just this morning people were on the Bill Good show on 980 saying just what Councillor Cadman was saying... That lunatics and gangsters will decsend on GM Place and a Huge Police presence was going to be needed to ensure drunken fight fans will not live out what they just took in, inside, out on the streets of DT Vancouver.

I have been to both Monster Truck shows and The Fireworks and what I see is a tonne of underage drinking, fights, and overall bad public behaviour by a minority that seems to taint the whole thing. And that is something that will be used against an MMA event in our city.

You are right about this being no different that a large concert or Canucks/Lions game imho. You will have 17-20k people and a few looney-tunes will be too drunk and act like retards, but all in all I see the MMA and Fight fan being much less caveman-ish than what the media and opposition groups seem to be spouting off with at the moment. If this is properly policed and set up by GM Place management with alcohol consumption/sales cutoff at a certain point all will be good, I'm guessing anyways.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wonder what ticket prices would be like up here?

My brother and I went to Vegas and caught a UFC event live and tickets were around $325 US....each....

That was for mid range seats.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
For the record, I love boxing and have followed it most of my life. With that being said, it is a more dangerous sport simply because boxers can get hit in the head 200-400 times in a fight. Boxers can get knocked down multiple times in a fight before a referee steps in and ends it. If you think about a UFC fight, they are mainly 3 rounds long, much of which can be spent grappling, looking for submissions, etc. It is not focused simply on punching a guy in the head like boxing primarily is---and that's where the most serious short and long term injuries can occur.

Just ask Ali... assuming you can understand his response :D

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wonder what ticket prices would be like up here?

My brother and I went to Vegas and caught a UFC event live and tickets were around $325 US....each....

That was for mid range seats.
It depends on the card man.

The PPV costs go up about $10 if it is a major card or event, or something with a huge fight on it (like when Fedor comes to UFC eventually) This last one was $59.99 for HD when the last one was $49.99 in HD on Shaw.

I'd imagine with 1 title fight plus a high profile fighter (GSP, Liddell, Couture, Alves, Griffin, Rampage, either Silva) appearance you would see a high end ticket price (from Zuffa and their agencies, not a re-seller) at $2,500 +, seated stand seats ranging from $800-$250, and nose bleeds for $80-$100.

The last event in Vegas on Saturday was a sellout of $12,500 seats and average price was $450 from what was said on the air this morning.

Once re-sellers like stubhub and ticket brokers get their hands on them the sky is truly the limit.

I had a buddy shell out $400 a ticket for 4 tickets for decent seats at the Liddel Jackson UFC 71 event a while back there in Vegas, and that was through a buddy involved with Zuffa that he could actually get them. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts