Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UBC and Caps Partner in a New Training Centre

swampdonkey

Oct 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree Cside I don't see the upside to that location! UBC is in the middle of nowhere, it's like going to Aldergrove.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
not their fault. they wanted to do it in Burnaby, and made a kick-ass presentation to city council.

our current council are a bunch of soccer hating pricks, contemptuous of volunteers and concerned only with how much they can sell BLW #4 to a bunch (5 or 6) of ultimate frisbee players. and this is the ndp crowd. nauseating.

i have no idea what happened after the presentation, but the choice of location absolutely isnt the Whitecaps fault...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
not their fault. they wanted to do it in Burnaby, and made a kick-ass presentation to city council.

our current council are a bunch of soccer hating pricks, contemptuous of volunteers and concerned only with how much they can sell BLW #4 to a bunch (5 or 6) of ultimate frisbee players. and this is the ndp crowd. nauseating.

i have no idea what happened after the presentation, but the choice of location absolutely isnt the Whitecaps fault...

That sounds like a carbon copy of Vancouver Parks Board!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't Corrigan the mayor of Burnaby? Chief NDP supporter inside Municipal Politics. He makes Mayor Moonbeams look like a right wing whacko

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
1. I can't seem to get confirmation that the u12-15 Caps kids will train at UBC as well. If so, that's a huge mistake. Many talented kids will refuse the invitation just based on the commute. As with any elite program some families will think it's acceptable/beneficial to commute that long .... only to regret the decision when cut for u16 residency for some kid from Winnipeg or Edmonton.

2. Surely North Surrey would have bent over backwards to develop a facility in partnership with the Caps??? Far better location and "easy" access with highway/skytrain.

3. With this facility VanUFC and/or Fusion could potentially put on a killer tournament.

4. Well, I've been hoping they move the major tournaments out of Minoru b/c it's a ridiculous location to get people to drive to....but now I regret that b/c it'll surely be moved out to this facility at The End of the Earth.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Solution: Build rapid transit on the broadway corridor.

I wonder how long until 90% of the "community" filed bookings have been given to the Ultimate players.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
left wing? please... the burnaby guys would sell their grandmother for a nickel... complete wolves in sheeps clothing...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Corrigan is as commie as the get. He didn't want the Olympic Oval, then he did once it was placed in Richmond. He doesn't want to increase the size of roads through BBY because he wants less commuters coming through his municipality then he squaks when provincial and federal moneis are spent elsewhere because infrastructure is better elsewhere and he's already making waves with the Brentwood redevelopment.

His missus is an NDP MLA and the streets are lined with Orange signs every election, more so than any other set of specific ridings I drove through and visit throughout BC save Van East, Whalley, and parts of VanIsle.

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And where will the kids from Edmonton,Winterpeg,etc be billeted? Wont be the Westside. So they will still have the commute. Bad move all around.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya you might be right there...billet kids may have to still travel as well.

You just know if Whitecaps went to Surrey and said "we want to build a 1000 seat SSS and 3-4 practice fields and some clubhouse/change rooms" Surrey would have done everything in its power to make it happen.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Apparently" the kids will stay at SFU for the next couple of years before being moved over...but let's not bring "them" up again. They're (youth) trouble! ;)

I know that when they negotiated in Coquitlam a few years ago, they wanted full access to Town Centre and certain field as their own that would have reduced the field availability in the complex for everyone - even with future expansion. The city decided against it and will eventually expand (sometime in the future) as the place is now becoming a gong show with everything that is going on. It's amazing how the influence of the Olympics and the Euro/World Cup (+ this new fad of Chinese line-dancing) has made the place a hot spot to be for activities. I thought Surrey and Richmond had a ton of culture!

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
everything you say about Corrigan is bang on accurate, but he and his crew are not shy about squeezing every bloody nickel out of every possible nook and cranny in the city... their thirst for the almighty dollar would make the Donald blush...

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
(+ this new fad of Chinese line-dancing)

Once the weather cools I don't know if you'll see them around the place as much but it certainly adds a new twist to Percy Perry these days!

:big-smile:

On topic - I see nothing wrong with the 'Vancouver' Whitecaps having a Vancouver address for its training facility.
UBC is an excellent place and a beautiuful location with top notch everything there.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear poco Castillions are in talks about partnership with the caps & move them to poco

Sid

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts