Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

U20 World Cup players on Marc Dos Santos’ radar but “aggressive” and “inflated” market proves problematic

AFTN

May 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
U20 World Cup players on Marc Dos Santos’ radar but “aggressive” and “inflated” market proves problematic

The 2019 FIFA U20 World Cup has been decidedly mixed for the four CONCACAF participants, and that’s being generous.

If it wasn’t for the US making the quarter-finals, knocking out France in the Round of the 16 in an exciting five-goal encounter, disaster wouldn’t be too strong a word to describe how the CONCACAF nations had fared.

Both Mexico and Honduras finished bottom of their groups, pointless, and in the case of the Hondurans with a minus 19 goal difference, the worst of all of the 24 teams taking part. Panama scraped through to the second round as the fourth of the third placed qualifiers, by way of scoring three goals to Portugal’s paltry two, only to then be dispatched 4-1 by Ukraine.

It’s been left to the US to keep some CONCACAF pride intact, finishing second in their group to those Ukrainians, and then beating France 3-2 in the first knockout round, setting up a quarter-final on Saturday with an impressive Ecuador side.

And to think, Canada weren’t even close to qualifying for this tournament, perhaps illustrating the work John Herdman and his team have in store to make the country a force to be reckoned with at all levels on the world stage.

This tournament is always a fun watch, as you see the starts of tomorrow emerge and you try and peg which ones will go on to be future giants of the game. When Canada hosted the U20 World Cup in 2007 winners Argentina boasted a squad with the likes of Golden Boot winner Sergio Aguero, Angel di Maria, and Sergio Romero, while the likes of David Luiz, Luis Suarez, Carlos Vela, Kendall Waston, and Willian also burst onto the international scene for their countries.

As a fan, it’s fun to try and scouts some of these players and wonder if the likes of the Whitecaps should make a move for some of them. And we’re not alone, for ‘Caps coach Marc Dos Santos has been avidly watching the games and doing some scouting of his own.

There certainly some players from the tournament now on his radar, but it’s not like playing Fantasy Football, as acquiring any of them runs into a variety of issues.

“There’s players on my radar,” Dos Santos admitted to AFTN. “I would tell you that at the World Cup I’m looking at a group of 12 players, but when I wake up in the morning and I Google them, Chelsea’s looking, Benfica’s looking.

“It’s tough to look at the very average player and say something like, oh this guy from Japan, Milan’s not going to want him, but maybe if we get him and we work with him. That’s tough to do. So the guys I look at, I already know that big clubs are looking. That’s the tough part. You need to see after the World Cup how it comes and then with the list that I have, what’s going on with these guys.”

Marc-Dos-Santos-Vancouver-Whitecaps-MLS-2019-e1559544337321.jpg

Scouting any of these players produces a plethora of problems. Some are unknowns and may have raised their game on the big stage, but can they be consistent with that? Others may be relatively unknown to us, but not to some of the European clubs who already have them on their radar, particularly those from the African countries, three of whom reached the knockout stages and two of them, Mali and Senegal are now into the quarter-finals.

“The guys from Mali, they’re all linked to French First Division [clubs],” Dos Santos explained. “And you’re like oh I like this number six. There’s a guy, the number six of Mali, although he plays with the number eight on his jersey [Mohamed Camara], a very good player.

“You watch the game against Panama and this is a very good player. He has the character of [Diego] Chara. But then when you Google the name and you click on news, and he’s already linked.”

That’s not the case for all the countries. New Zealand being a good example. A number of their players impressed in their journey to the knockout stages, where they eventually lost out on penalties to Colombia.

They may not have the interest from clubs in some of the top European nations, but that doesn’t mean they don’t come with a heavy price tag, even if they’re not regulars with their current clubs.

“A lot of these players are in the Australian league, so these are good guys to try and follow up,” Dos Santos said of the Kiwi players before cautioning, “But I made an enquiry about a winger from New Zealand. He doesn’t start in his team and his buying price was $4 million. Inbeom Hwang was $1.8 million. How is this guy four? So the market is very aggressive right now. Very inflated. It’s tough now to be in the market.”

Read Further on AFTN.ca

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This tournament is always a fun watch, as you see the starts of tomorrow emerge and you try and peg which ones will go on to be future giants of the game. When Canada hosted the U20 World Cup in 2007 winners Argentina boasted a squad with the likes of Golden Boot winner Sergio Aguero, Angel di Maria, and Sergio Romero, while the likes of David Luiz, Luis Suarez, Carlos Vela, Kendall Waston, and Willian also burst onto the international scene for their countries.
One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong
Can you tell which one thing is not like the others?

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It looks to me that MDS realized that he signed with the club whose owners are not ready to spend big money on any player.

“You watch the game against Panama and this is a very good player. He has the character of [Diego] Chara. But then when you Google the name and you click on news, and he’s already linked.”
If you watch those games on TV then Google about the player to find out who he is, that certainly looks to me as a wrong approach how to find/scout players you want for your team.
Of course, it is not easy to scout a player from Mali but you cannot wait U20 World Cup to notice a player then try to get a good one for peanuts.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really hope this isn't an accurate representation of our scouting process - watching players on TV and googling... Mind you it wouldn't necessarily be a surprise. MDS should try BEinSports. Maybe the big leagues didn't sign up for that cable package either

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong
Can you tell which one thing is not like the others?

LOL, was thinking exactly that.

Clearly we are talking about Luis Suarez, no?

No???

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really hope this isn't an accurate representation of our scouting process - watching players on TV and googling... Mind you it wouldn't necessarily be a surprise. MDS should try BEinSports. Maybe the big leagues didn't sign up for that cable package either

It may be beneficial for him to align himself with a sports agency that has a good BASE knowledge of the diamonds in the rough that are waiting out there.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No Dude it would be David Luiz because he's the only one who speaks Portuguese.
Oh, wait a minute, Willian's Brazilian too, so that's not it.

Golly gee whiz Regs I'm stumped.

:bucktooth:

Spankmemanky

Apr 18, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kendall Waston.... a mammoth pylon without Luiz’s locks...& the only one who would ever play for VW

I’d like to see Suarez have a nibble and then time how long it would take before he hit the ground lights out minus the chiclets

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts