Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

U17 National Team

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not the U15s but I didn't feel like starting a new thread.

Just curious if anyone caught any of the U17 World Cup before we were eliminated after 3 straight losses. In all of the general good feeling about the Senior Men's National Team, it might be easy enough to gloss over this tournament.

It was an accomplishment for Canada to qualify (as it is seemingly anytime we do anything remotely of note in world soccer), but expectations were higher that three and out, without a win. Canada was in a group with Brazil (who were the hosts), Angola and New Zealand. We opened against Brazil and had a few good moments but were ultimately outclassed 4-1, however, it was thought that the games against Angola and New Zealand provided an opportunity for wins. Angola was a close run affair but Canada bottled it late on and lost 2-1, then they were probably the better side in a 1-0 loss to New Zealand but their keeper was on fire and Canada were hard done by courtesy of VAR.

I watched parts of all three games and there were some bright spots. I thought the centre back and captain from the Whitecaps system as well as the winger with the great hair from Toronto's system looked like potential solid future professionals. I also thought the goalkeeper from the first two matches, who was one of the few players on the squad not from a Canadian MLS academy, looked good (the other keeper who played against New Zealand looked well below average on the goal he conceded). However, I thought Canada looked devoid of ideas, especially in attack. Decisions for passes, etc. were not good and they also had a penchant for giving up goals at bad times. Understandably these are just kids, but I felt it could and should have been better.

Which brings me to my point/question. Was this performance good enough? We lost three straight and were sent home, however, as mentioned, we had not qualified for the previous few tournaments. Is this progress? Or was this a failure? We have three MLS clubs whose prospects made up over 90% of our roster. Does this bode well for Canadian player development? Or is it an indication that if development is left in the hands of these clubs we are never going to be successful? Additionally, what of the coach Andrew Olivieri? He was formerly the U20 women's coach and evidently has taken over that role on the men's side, presumably following Herdman over once he took charge of the top program.

Personally I was surprised to see Olivieri in charge as I am not sure what his resume really entails other than playing for Canada at the youth ranks himself. To be honest, looking at it objectively, presumably his biggest qualification is that he is one of Herdman's inner circle. His team underachieved at this tournament, but I am guessing he will have little to answer for and his job is likely safe because he is part of the overall coaching team. It reminded me of Heiner-Moller with the WNT at the Women's World Cup. An abject performance at the highest level and not really any blip about making a change. I know we don't have the resources to be chopping and changing coaches at all levels all the time and their are arguments that these are first time set backs for these coaches who are still settling into new roles. However, I am of the opinion that a true footballing nation has consequences for underachievement. Hell Bayern just fired a coach after 18 months with their team four points out of first place because they lost a match 5-1. Apples and oranges a bit, but still, I think progressing as a footballing nation means holding ourselves to a higher standard.

Wondered if anyone else had an eye on the tournament and any thoughts?

Ronaldo. 07

Oct 7, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not the U15s but I didn't feel like starting a new thread.

Just curious if anyone caught any of the U17 World Cup before we were eliminated after 3 straight losses. In all of the general good feeling about the Senior Men's National Team, it might be easy enough to gloss over this tournament.

It was an accomplishment for Canada to qualify (as it is seemingly anytime we do anything remotely of note in world soccer), but expectations were higher that three and out, without a win. Canada was in a group with Brazil (who were the hosts), Angola and New Zealand. We opened against Brazil and had a few good moments but were ultimately outclassed 4-1, however, it was thought that the games against Angola and New Zealand provided an opportunity for wins. Angola was a close run affair but Canada bottled it late on and lost 2-1, then they were probably the better side in a 1-0 loss to New Zealand but their keeper was on fire and Canada were hard done by courtesy of VAR.

I watched parts of all three games and there were some bright spots. I thought the centre back and captain from the Whitecaps system as well as the winger with the great hair from Toronto's system looked like potential solid future professionals. I also thought the goalkeeper from the first two matches, who was one of the few players on the squad not from a Canadian MLS academy, looked good (the other keeper who played against New Zealand looked well below average on the goal he conceded). However, I thought Canada looked devoid of ideas, especially in attack. Decisions for passes, etc. were not good and they also had a penchant for giving up goals at bad times. Understandably these are just kids, but I felt it could and should have been better.

Which brings me to my point/question. Was this performance good enough? We lost three straight and were sent home, however, as mentioned, we had not qualified for the previous few tournaments. Is this progress? Or was this a failure? We have three MLS clubs whose prospects made up over 90% of our roster. Does this bode well for Canadian player development? Or is it an indication that if development is left in the hands of these clubs we are never going to be successful? Additionally, what of the coach Andrew Olivieri? He was formerly the U20 women's coach and evidently has taken over that role on the men's side, presumably following Herdman over once he took charge of the top program.

Personally I was surprised to see Olivieri in charge as I am not sure what his resume really entails other than playing for Canada at the youth ranks himself. To be honest, looking at it objectively, presumably his biggest qualification is that he is one of Herdman's inner circle. His team underachieved at this tournament, but I am guessing he will have little to answer for and his job is likely safe because he is part of the overall coaching team. It reminded me of Heiner-Moller with the WNT at the Women's World Cup. An abject performance at the highest level and not really any blip about making a change. I know we don't have the resources to be chopping and changing coaches at all levels all the time and their are arguments that these are first time set backs for these coaches who are still settling into new roles. However, I am of the opinion that a true footballing nation has consequences for underachievement. Hell Bayern just fired a coach after 18 months with their team four points out of first place because they lost a match 5-1. Apples and oranges a bit, but still, I think progressing as a footballing nation means holding ourselves to a higher standard.

Wondered if anyone else had an eye on the tournament and any thoughts?
I saw the roster of that u17 team, garbage. There are way better players under 17 in this country that weren’t called. I am shocked some of those players made the team as I have seen them play and they aren’t good. I know 2 people who had they been on this team they would’ve made it out of the group but unfortunately dirty politics in Canada stops the team from succeeding yet again. Canadian federation needs to realize that results are important pick the best players that are available and not leave players out because they don’t play on whitecaps or Toronto fc academy. Absolute shambles.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Curious on how to improve the ability to start new threads on TTP so it's not a blocker - honest question!

Thanks!
I mean this was just on me being lazy. The tournament is over so it did not seem to merit a new thread of its own, I wasn't sure anyone else would have any input, this thread was already there and relatively recent with only a few replies. Seemed more efficient to just umbrella it under this one given it was also about Canada Youth NT instead of starting a new dedicated thread that might sit just as stagnant.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
embarrassing to have lost to NZ

Gotta agree. If we boast about how good our youth system is up to the U-15 or U17 level, then we need to be outclassing other Nations like us. NZ is a good comparison, but arguably they've managed to push their entire program forward while we've been relatively stagnant.

wednesday

Jun 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
This may be moot but did no one in Canada observe the outrageous VAR error in denying Canada's goal?
The quiet acceptance is stunning

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts