Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Twins are back

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, Benning is a scout masquerading as a GM... I'm not sure retired player masquerading as a "special advisor" is any better... their role is more suited for someone like Jim Rutherford or the like...

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
That was Mitsy Dupris. The Chicklets would use double ended devices for mutual pleasure and give an Amsterdam-like performance. The off duty cops used to hang out at the Austin. And so I heard, a newby cop blew the whistle on the underage obscenities that were going on and that put an end that. I don't think he was too popular at the detachment after that.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
That was Mitsy Dupris. The Chicklets would use double ended devices for mutual pleasure and give an Amsterdam-like performance. The off duty cops used to hang out at the Austin. And so I heard, a newby cop blew the whistle on the underage obscenities that were going on and that put an end that. I don't think he was too popular at the detachment after that.
tenor.gif

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
there's a Vancouver related story to her, as related to me by one of my criminal practitioner instructors at law school...

when he and his pals were themselves in law school, they were sitting at the bar that had Mitsy doing her thing. The cops had previously arrested her for performing an obscene act.

well, the doors to the bar swing open, and in comes a judge, court reporter, lawyers, the cop, and of course, Mitsy. Turns out some legend of a defense lawyer had suggested to the judge that they "take a view" not only of the crime scene (which is sometimes done) but the "obscene act" itself (which is not sometimes done).

So, after an "order in the court" announcement (and attendant guffaws), Mitsy was directed to take the stage and do her thing. The cop was directed to announce when, in his view, she had performed an "obscene act".

Two things happened - neither surprising. Mitsy was acquitted, and the law students who just happened to be there drinking had no idea what had just happened, but decided then and there that they would become criminal defense lawyers...

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is old school - Good times.
What happened to this City?

'Special Advisors'.
Where does it put them here?

Or at all?

I'm off to reminisce about Friday Prime Rib Businessmen's lunches and the unique shower at the Cecil, and of better days in this town. ;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
in what, cycling the puck? not sure what qualifies them for the role exactly...
Steve Yserman.
Cam Neely.
Brendan Shanahan.

Could go on and on. I'd take the state of business in Tampa Bay, Boston or even TO over the current state of affairs w/ the Canucks.

Yeah, Steve in Detroit now may not be so glorious yet, but still early days- plus after what he did in Tampa I'm a big fan, and I really liken him and his cerebral approach to playing the game to the twins. Players getting into the executive side of the business has yielded some good results over the years, and I believe the twins are the types of players that can successfully make the transition. I was skeptical on Trevor Linden, not because of his business acumen (substantial), but because of his personal life away from work being so busy and fulfilling. When I see a guy on a weekly basis walking into the GLC after smashing epic back-country tours all winter all of a sudden have to walk away from that, I become skeptical as all of that would have to (and did) get put on the shelf. The twins? They run around the city. A lot. They spend time w/ their kids. Those things can be managed, kept in your life, and still do the work.

I'm not as concerned about the twins being brought into the fold as I am at what appears to be a rudderless leadership direction at the pointy end of the spear. If you have ever tried to go paddle boarding without a fin, this is what the Canucks feel like to me right now. Benning puts a paddle in the water, with the intent on going one direction, but ends up on a 90 degree tangent. Another paddle, repeat overturn.

Once Jim failed to resign Tafoli in the offseason, then failed on so many other fronts, I was on Benning-Out plan. Besides that, the next guy or guys to be hired are CIRITICAL, and probably the twins should not have been brought in prior to those hires. This just looks like they are going to be spies for ownership, and eventually, Benning out, those two retained, and next hire will be brought in w/ understanding those two are untouchable. Not a healthy scenario, IMO.

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is old school - Good times.
What happened to this City?

'Special Advisors'.
Where does it put them here?

Or at all?

I'm off to reminisce about Friday Prime Rib Businessmen's lunches and the unique shower at the Cecil, and of better days in this town. ;)
Seriously? What has? They all get rich off developing their land? My hang-out was Mugs and Jugs in New West. When I walked in and saw on stage a bird that we all coveted in high school, I knew I was home. Cheap pints, and free STDs in the front row.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure that Neely has covered himself in glory, and I love the guy... he's been obsessed with finding big strapping wingers who can skate, hit and score... problem is, no one does that with anywhere near the regularity or drive that he had. Beleskey, Hayes, Ritchie, Backes... good lord.

Sakic and Yzerman have done great jobs. Shanahan doesn't seem to understand that the Edmonton model doesn't work - that or he's just mesmerized by Dubas' "I'm smarter than everyone else" routine...

What have the Twins been doing? Watching hockey 24/7? Doubt it. Just seems odd to bring them into this role at this time, unless it's a PR issue because their seasons tickets are in the tank again...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure that Neely has covered himself in glory, and I love the guy... he's been obsessed with finding big strapping wingers who can skate, hit and score... problem is, no one does that with anywhere near the regularity or drive that he had. Beleskey, Hayes, Ritchie, Backes... good lord.

Sakic and Yzerman have done great jobs. Shanahan doesn't seem to understand that the Edmonton model doesn't work - that or he's just mesmerized by Dubas' "I'm smarter than everyone else" routine...

What have the Twins been doing? Watching hockey 24/7? Doubt it. Just seems odd to bring them into this role at this time, unless it's a PR issue because their seasons tickets are in the tank again...
Again….Yserman, Neely, Shanahan, Sakic another good one. Weather you agree with Neely or not he’s had quite a bit of success there. Same with Shanny.

What were people saying about them coming in? Guarantee you it wasn’t “Yup, these guys are ready.”

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0