Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Turf

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/how-safe-artificial-turf-your-child-plays-n220166

I have hated turf since I first played on it because it is hard on the body and the ball bounces unlike how I have known a soccer ball to bounce. 2 ACL replacements later and a ruptured disc and I am now turf free - I only play home games, albeit on Hillcrest which many have called a cow pasture, but it is better than turf IMO.

This article brings a whole new light onto the possible hazards of turf, and has me asking all new questions.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcuk me - My kid's a keeper and all he plays on is turf 5 times a week.

Admitted - I've always loved it for training compared to the days when you did it on gravel pitches.
I hated that shite as a kid and young adult.
But, otherwise, give me the grass.

Its a shame the maintenance on grass fields is so tough to keep up in our climate (and expensive obviously...) as sports really were made to be played on the natural stuff.

Scary stuff Freddy.

TwoACLreplacementstooforever

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed RF. The real shame is the disappearance of all of the quality grass fields we used to have. Now the odd game we get on grass is on a crap field…Hillcrest as an example. It used to be magic down there and now it is so bumpy down the middle that games always stink. And yes Inspector Blake, you are technically superior.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys, do you know what frustrates me to no end?

It's the NON USE of the grass pitches that seem to be available. RF can likely attest...out in Langley, we drive by grass pitches all the time, almost never in use, , and from the street looking plush and green. There is a fantastic pitch close to us, at about 203 & 72nd area that seems big enough to field two full sized pitches. It's a field of dreams, FFS, and there aren't even goalposts up! Freshly cut as of earlier this week. It's crazy how many I see on Saturdays and Sundays even, going unused!

I don't know how or why the cities have gotten into the mindset that they need to preserve these fields for...nothing.

I think you're right, RF...follow the money. They don't have to maintain the artificial turf, really, so just fill up those slots, and use the grass as sparingly as possible or not at all.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There are no lights above grass to play under in Vancouver. Killarney doesn't count.:rolleyes:

Easy to see what happens. Money that used to be spent on maintaining grass fields has been diverted to looking after turf. Really visible in Vancouver, Burnaby, and Richmond; not quite so much in municipalities that have purpose-built grass fields. Why? Because they can charge multiple x's the $'s for turf rentals all year.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts